Why are we all getting to a silly fight
    09-24-13 12:28 PM
    Let's face it, the term Prosumer applies to most, if not all, Crackberry readers and to most BB10 users. Most of us did not buy BB10 devices because BBRY did a good job of marketing to the consumer market. They did not do a good job of marketing to the consumer market. Most of us bought BB10 because we value what the technology does. If this is true for you, then Congratulations! You are a Prosumer.
    Let me ask you a question, in all honesty. Do you think an average iPhone user is a Prosumer?

If not, that's a hint. Because that's the market that the Z10 was going after. That's what BBRY's stated goal was. They wanted to become to the masses what they were to business users in the beginning. To me that's the difference between consumer and Prosumer.

I totally agree that most of us around here are prosumers because we want the latest and greatest, are comparatively tech savvy, and will spend $$ to have the best gear.
    Last edited by mset; 09-24-13 at 12:55 PM.
    09-24-13 12:28 PM
    The intelligent consumer is under the prosumer umbrella. The "average" consumer should stick with one of the inferior platforms: ios or android.
    Kendall Oei likes this.
    09-24-13 12:32 PM
    this is a silly argument. lots of "consumers" use "prosumer" phones. The 9900 and Q10 could be considered "prosumer", but are also great phones for anyone.
    Absolutely correct. I don't disagree. What I find ridiculous is that BBRY PR characterized this guy as a Prosumer. He is the poster boy for what is not a Prosumer.

It's strange that this point is so hard to get across. I am simply saying it's sad and funny that they made the announcement that they were getting out of the consumer handset business but communications like this can still come out of HQ.

All of this is moot anyhow, as BBRY will be out of the handset business within 18 months.
    09-24-13 12:37 PM
    The intelligent consumer is under the prosumer umbrella. The "average" consumer should stick with one of the inferior platforms: ios or android.
    I still sort of disagree (respectfully, not like the children who posted earlier). What we are seeing is that the consumer market will be sold phones with decreasing price points. The new iPhone and the Nexus 4 point the way forward. That's the consumer market and that's what they said they were getting out of.

I would amend your statement to say that a subset of the intelligent consumer market is under the prosumer umbrella. Those who will always spend big $$ to have the latest greatest.

I will spend anything on tech. But I'm using a phone that specs out like a super premium phone, and costs half.
    09-24-13 12:42 PM
    Maybe we can get someone from Prosumer Reports to weigh in here.
    09-24-13 12:59 PM
    How exactly does a prosumer communicate? What is "efficient communication" nowadays? Does it vary, or is there a rigid definition?
    09-24-13 01:04 PM
    How exactly does a prosumer communicate? What is "efficient communication" nowadays? Does it vary, or is there a rigid definition?
    Not sure, but I don't think communication is at the heart of what defines an "Enterprise/Prosumer" user.
    09-24-13 01:07 PM
    A prosumer, there is one born every second!
    09-24-13 01:16 PM
    Technically dude, yoru argument that their is no PR in BBRY is an ad hominem argument.

You are not using facts to back anything up. Ho w do you know that BBRY isn't doing exactly what the guy said. People who dont care about apps seems like the people BBRY would want to go after. It means they will stop trying to attratc the latest and greatest apps. Seems logical to me.

Your argument is also Non sequitur. Just because you think the bbry employee is full of **** doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about.

And frankly,
    Well, you know what they say.

Ad hominem is the last refuge of the congenitally weak-minded.

If you can actually address any of the points in the post as opposed to screaming that I'm a drama queen (which actually makes you a bit of a drama queen) please feel free to post here. Just FYI, "I disagree, I think you're confused, this conversation is pointless" which was all you could come up with above, isn't a response, it's an internet cop-out.
    grover5 likes this.
    09-24-13 01:17 PM
    Not sure, but I don't think communication is at the heart of what defines an "Enterprise/Prosumer" user.
    I'm quite interested in hearing to the folks that believe BBRY has cornered the vague "prosumer" market.

I think it's also at heart of BBRY's issue: the inability to understand that "communication" has evolved.
    Last edited by Tre Lawrence; 09-24-13 at 01:44 PM.
    Skandalous1 likes this.
    09-24-13 01:22 PM
    Technically dude, yoru argument that their is no PR in BBRY is an ad hominem argument.
    sigh...

Ad hominem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can you provide a link to the post in which I said there was 'no PR in Blackberry'?

You are not using facts to back anything up. Ho w do you know that BBRY isn't doing exactly what the guy said.
    Doing what which guy said?

People who dont care about apps seems like the people BBRY would want to go after. It means they will stop trying to attratc the latest and greatest apps. Seems logical to me.
    You do realize that you've just made my argument for me, right?

Just because you think the bbry employee is full of **** doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about.
    09-24-13 01:25 PM
    The problem with the word prosumer is that it's too vague of a word to give an actual definition for. Everyone has a different opinion on what it could mean

My z10 is a Leafs fan
    09-24-13 01:28 PM
    I'm quite interested in hearing to the folks that believe BBRY has cornered the vague "prosumer" market.

I think it's also at heart of BBRY's issue: the inability to understand that "communication" has evolved.

Let's say this mythical prosumer group exists - and it's this clued-up aware group of people heavily into communication and who do their research into the technology that best supports their needs, that is why they are PROsumers rather than CONsumers - here's the problem, the absolutely dismal sales of BB10 means that they have already looked and rejected BB10 as a option.

Now someone is going to pop up and say the marketing is crap but that is irrelevant to the prosumer brigade as by definition they will be doing their own research.
    09-24-13 01:30 PM
    Let's say this mythical prosumer group exists - and it's this clued-up aware group of people heavily into communication and who do their research into the technology that best supports their needs, that is why they are PROsumers rather than CONsumers - here's the problem, the absolutely dismal sales of BB10 means that they have already looked and rejected BB10 as a option.
    Even if that's who BBRY meant, they couldn't possibly have thought that they could retool the business to cater only to that market.

Could they?

In any case, my definition of Prosumer is tied in with business users. It's the 'Enterprise' user that I focused on when I first heard about this new direction that lasted 72 hours.
    09-24-13 01:42 PM
    Nice to see you've calmed down enough to ask a relevant question in a polite manner instead of calling names like an 8 year-old.

By definition, "enterprise and Prosumer" users are those from whom the firm can make higher margins. They are users who are not constrained by budget. If you had responded more politely to start with, I'd be happy to explain further. Since you're a boor, I'm not going to bother. Please, for heaven's sake, before you just post and say 'you're wrong', find out what the term 'enterprise user' means vis-a-vis gear.
    Wow, you are reaching, I agree with the D_March. You have no idea what his communications are for, and your 'definition' of prosumer is nothing more than an assumption-not based in reality. What makes you think a professional cosumer can't be on a budget? In you're world all professionals probably walk around in tailored suits and have money rolls in there pocket. I bet they all drive $250,000 cars and travel by jet when in a hurry, huh.
    09-24-13 01:52 PM
    What makes you think a professional cosumer [sic] can't be on a budget?
    What's a professional consumer?
    09-24-13 01:56 PM
    yes, the definition is broad because nobody really knows what they are going to do. to me, a prosumer phone would be a phone with a keyboard, that keeps a person organized and communicates well. I think the fact that the phones that were written off, the Z10's, implies to me that BB will move more towards phones with keyboards.... that is their niche. but the latest announcement said they were going to focus on enterprise and didn't mention prosumer... so who really knows at this point? the reality is for most people, it will be a phone by phone experience. if they keep making good niche phones (like the Q10) I will keep buying them.
    09-24-13 02:10 PM
    What's a professional consumer?
    oh I'm sorry...a prosumer, or a consumer focused on productivity. Whatever floats you're boat.
    Last edited by Fidel Mercado; 09-24-13 at 02:50 PM.
    09-24-13 02:12 PM
    we are still no further than the first post?
    Next debate will be the determination of what app's are prosumer legal?
    BB is not the popular kid in on the block, there is a reason for that... it's not in the name! other platforms get things done, maybe not as as fast, but is it that importent?
    A CEO uses app's as any other, and apple is moving is. fact of every days life. Prosumer of consumer....

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    09-24-13 02:17 PM
    getting things done fast is important in the business world. a good example would be gmail. the iPhone still, even with ios7 update does not "push" gmail. and gmail is extremely popular in the "prosumer" sector.
    09-24-13 02:28 PM
    oh I'm sorry...a prosumer, come on dude
    Wrong answer.
    09-24-13 02:50 PM
    I would have thought a prosumer - I assume that's a contraction of "professional" and "consumer" - would likely be a user group comprised of business people that rely on up-to-date business information, avoiding games, apps like Instagram and those that consume time but offer little business value.

I'm very busy at "business" during the day, and rely on my phones (iPhone and Nokia 520 currently - I'm experimenting with the latter) to deliver information to me quickly.

Example - I'm in Montreal, my office is in Vancouver. I get a bell reminder on my iPhone from the front desk that John Jones from Welco Inc. called. The reminder contains a quick link to that contact. I click it and see all the profile, along with a history button and social button.

I'm not fully up to date on John, but I'm security-cleared to view most profiles in our company's database, so I click History and view all the emails in and out from various depts., along with appts, notes and other history information on John. That clues me into our company's current comm'ns with John.

I then click Social and bring up the various sites John is linked to. I click his LinkedIn page for a quick update, then pop over to Twitter and then Facebook to get the latest info on his "stuff".

Now I'm almost fully up to speed. One more thing, though. I click Links and bring up all the direct links John has to others, just to remind me of the company he keeps.

I'm now in a position to click Call or to Send a Text or to set up an Appt, or do any other thing I need to do to ensure John, as a customer or as a connection, is properly serviced.

After calling him through a one-click button, I get an auto-note and I fill it in, then "clone" it into a inter-office memo to the Service dept. to get them to contact John and fill an new order. I do another one-click clone of that memo and set up an appt. that I made with John. I auto-send that to the front desk to keep them up to date on my appts.

All of that instantly, within a few seconds. And nothing stored on my phone, so no security issues.

That's a longer example than most, but my phones are my lifeline to my business - online, real-time, complete access to our backend CRM and contact system, full access to all my emails, complete drill-down of any contact in our company's database, all my opportunities at a glance, all my dailies: appts. to do, notes, and so on, at a glance.

Running on either WiFi or 3/4g, the responses are virtually instantaneous.

That's a prosumer to me.
    Fidel Mercado likes this.
    09-24-13 02:55 PM
    Well, he starts by receiving highly customized alerts on his BBOS BlackBerry. He hears the alert and/or feels the vibration. If his BlackBerry is on a table on Silent, he sees the LED start to blink. When it's an audible and/or tactile alert, he recognizes immediately that it's a Level 1 email. As soon as he pulls it out of his holster, the message opens. He reads it, hits "R," hammers out a reply on his physical keyboard, and hits "Send." Done. BlackBerry back into holster. At this point, the itoy "average" consumer doesn't even know he has an important message. And even in the unlikely event that the message has hit his phone, he won't realize it until he wakes up his screen some time later when some game makes a tone to let him know that it's his "turn."
    09-24-13 02:59 PM
    Wrong answer.

Why don't YOU look up the definition of 'prosumer', before challenging someone else to. You'll find several different portmanteau's, one including a mixture of 'professional' and 'consumer', another with 'productive' and 'consumer' another with 'producer' and consumer, It's a vey broad term with no definitive definition. However, you're definition [sic] "....those from whom the firm can make higher margins. They are users who aren't constrained by budget..."
    Is a load of crap that you pulled out of your a$$, just to try and justify your far reaching point.
    09-24-13 04:12 PM
60 123