I bought some stock in Blackberry awhile ago and have just been sitting with it. Now that this has been announced with a guaranteed 9/share what will happen to my stock? Does it automatically get sold/bought when the deal is finalized or do I have to do that myself?

Is there a chance that the stock will rise above $9 before now and then and I could sell for the higher rate or is that simply improbably because who would buy shares at a higher amount knowing it will eventually be sold at $9.

Basically, as a newbie at this, what is a suggested course of action and if I take no action will I get the $9/share automatically.
    09-23-13 02:21 PM
    I bought some stock in Blackberry awhile ago and have just been sitting with it. Now that this has been announced with a guaranteed 9/share what will happen to my stock? Does it automatically get sold/bought when the deal is finalized or do I have to do that myself?

Is there a chance that the stock will rise above $9 before now and then and I could sell for the higher rate or is that simply improbably because who would buy shares at a higher amount knowing it will eventually be sold at $9.

Basically, as a newbie at this, what is a suggested course of action and if I take no action will I get the $9/share automatically.
    Go to a financial planner. A professional stock broker. The internet is not a good place to play with your money or take advice from people whose credentials you cannot verify.
    danprown likes this.
    09-23-13 02:27 PM
    Go to a financial planner. A professional stock broker. The internet is not a good place to play with your money or take advice from people whose credentials you cannot verify.
    I was hoping for just an answer to this, I'm not looking to plan my finances just, what happens in a scenario where a company goes private? I'm sure there is a procedure...

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 02:30 PM
    Yes your shares will be bought out at $9 automatically IF this goes through

-- my mistake Fairfax is Canadian based --

Edit: I r dumb

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Duffman19; 09-23-13 at 02:44 PM.
    Tyler Nellissen likes this.
    09-23-13 02:32 PM
    I am in no way a professional and offer my amateur and free opinio. I am in no way, shape or form responsible legally for any of your finances, mentioned or otherwise. Use advice at your own discretion.

Now that that's out of the way, I have a little over 20k shares of stock right now and I use Scottrade to trade/monitor, etc. I suggest following BBRY and if it goes much above $9, I woul at least sell some of your shares. You will not see anything over $10 IMO now that the news has dropped, if it hits $10, sell because it's not going much higher. I am on Scottrade now and BBRY is trading at $8.77/share as I type this.

Best of luck!
    09-23-13 02:34 PM

Remember the government of Canada isn't one to allow sales and takeovers from foreign investors. I think they will block it

Posted via CB10
    Fairfax Financial is based in Ontario.
    09-23-13 02:35 PM

Remember the government of Canada isn't one to allow sales and takeovers from foreign investors. I think they will block it

Posted via CB10
    Thank you. My question was about my action. You answered with shares will be bought automatically.

Also Fairfax financial is based on Toronto, ca.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 02:36 PM
    Yes. You can sell now or wait. It the deal is consummated you will get the deal price. Which right now is 9. Final deal could end up higher. Or another bidder could come in higher. Right now anything at 13-15 looks unlilkey but not impossible.

They need approval from 90% of the shareholders fo the deal to go through.

To sum up, 9 looks like it will be the least you might get but that is not a gaurantee

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 02:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    Fairfax IS Canadian so the Cdn govt does NOT come into play here
    09-23-13 02:37 PM
    Fairfax IS Canadian so the Cdn govt does NOT come into play here
    Yes just read over news properly and realised that.

Is my face red!

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 02:45 PM
    qbnkelt gave the best answer. Don't assume it will be automatic.

Further, in the US you would be able to keep the stock if you so desired. Of course, it would eventually be worth nothing.
    09-23-13 02:47 PM
    Yes. You can sell now or wait. It the deal is consummated you will get the deal price. Which right now is 9. Final deal could end up higher. Or another bidder could come in higher. Right now anything at 13-15 looks unlilkey but not impossible.

They need approval from 90% of the shareholders fo the deal to go through.

To sum up, 9 looks like it will be the least you might get but that is not a gaurantee

Posted via CB10
    I think most shareholders were expecting much more than $9 a share in a buyout, so in order to get that approved they will have to do a better job of communicating the financial situation to shareholders. If not the $9 might not get approved... which might lead to Fairfax offering more, or just as likely pulling the deal for now.

There is always a chance for other buyers to come in and start a bidding war for BB.... but at this point that is only hopeful thinking on the part of some.
    09-23-13 03:50 PM