BlackBerry Ltd creates new branch of company to bundle patent portfolio and innovative tech assets together | Financial Post

Basically putting all the intellectual property and project ion stuff into one package. Potentially this can be broken off or run as a single entity in the future.
    early2bed likes this.
    08-18-14 08:56 AM
    BlackBerry Ltd creates new branch of company to bundle patent portfolio and innovative tech assets together | Financial Post

Basically putting all the intellectual property and project ion stuff into one package. Potentially this can be broken off or run as a single entity in the future.
    Yeah, not exactly a vote of confidence ...
    rai187 likes this.
    08-18-14 09:00 AM
    Makes sense to have a company setup to sell licenses and solutions to other companies that want to benefit from BlackBerry technology.

The fact that it's all the stuff that has a future...... does make it convenient if they have to pull the plug on hardware. And then if BES isn't "good enough" to keep EMM customers without a hardware solution to support it, and be competitive in pricing (a lot more overhead with BES than with the other MDM solutions). Just a smart move on Chen's part.

BlackBerry Technology might be worth more as a company than BlackBerry currently is - which is good for shareholders.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    08-18-14 09:03 AM
    Yeah, not exactly a vote of confidence ...
    I disagree wholeheartedly.... Chen is making great financial decisions, and this is no different. You don't spend money on building something if you don't believe it will succeed. This is a plan to segregate yet another aspect of the business from the original single core.

You now have several aspects to BlackBerry, and Chen is making that very public. It will become increasingly difficult to sum up BB as the handset business. IoT is going be huge. It may not be huge for BB, but it will be huge, and BB is making a play for it. Bravo.
    08-18-14 09:30 AM
    So much for the mobile nations news room reporting being on call to report things promptly
    08-18-14 09:40 AM
    Give it time.
    theRock1975 and walt63 like this.
    08-18-14 09:46 AM
    So much for the mobile nations news room reporting being on call to report things promptly
    They have to write, edit, proofread the text before they can publish. Let's be reasonable ... I'm sure it's coming with some added analysis and commentary.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 09:47 AM
    Read this on mobile syrup. I find its good news that they're still pushing to look to innovate and gave one person the role to over see patents, innovation, IOT etc.

I even saw one person comment about "how's BlackBerry going to pay for all these high profile hires John Chen has made". To me it's a funny yet flattering comment to read. Finally someone is doing something right at BlackBerry. I hope it's not too late!

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 09:48 AM
    They have to write, edit, proofread the text before they can publish. Let's be reasonable ... I'm sure it's coming with some added analysis and commentary.

Posted via CB10
    The whole point of the newsroom was prompt fact reporting with no analysis of commentary it's been like 2 hours when all they needed to do was repost a press release.
    08-18-14 09:50 AM
    I'd you read the press release this is about organizational efficiency and technology licensing. Why does everybody have to jump to the conclusion that it is to sell the company. The way that these different groups were being run and operated as separate silos is not best practice. These were all former standalone companies that hadn't been fully absorbed into the larger BlackBerry in the most efficient way possible. It also makes licensing patents or technology to other companies easier for BlackBerry as they will have a one stop shopping experience so to speak
    08-18-14 09:57 AM
    This may also create some revenue. I think Chen needs to get on those royalties that are owed to BlackBerry. I wonder if the newly acquired secusmart is going under this division.

Posted via my BeastBerry Z30
    08-18-14 10:59 AM
    Mmm...I'm not sure what operational efficiencies you get from putting QNX and your *patents* under the same roof. I'm going to say it's a way to structure it for easy sale.

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    08-18-14 11:07 AM
    Mmm...I'm not sure what operational efficiencies you get from putting QNX and your *patents* under the same roof. I'm going to say it's a way to structure it for easy sale.

Posted via CB10
    This includes original BlackBerry patents, paratek and Certicom and QNX, previously 3 standalone companies with their own reporting structure, and management and overhead and streamlines it into 1 group. It is cheaper and more effective to run it this way as it avoids duplication, increases focus and collaboration and and centralizes licensing.
    08-18-14 11:13 AM
    This includes original BlackBerry patents, paratek and Certicom and QNX, previously 3 standalone companies with their own reporting structure, and management and overhead and streamlines it into 1 group. It is cheaper and more effective to run it this way as it avoids duplication, increases focus and collaboration and and centralizes licensing.
    True. But, from what I see it's primarily a way to spin off a section of the company focused on IoT *while* there's buzz around IoT. I'd guess that QNX is not long in the BlackBerry fold.

JUST speculation.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 11:37 AM
    Do not think anyone is saying BB is planning to sell off in pieces.. though Wall Street would be estatic.....however the restructuring would make it easier to fold the divisions that have no value and make the profitable ones more attractive for a future sale... one of the reasons BB did not go private in the first place was it was a monolithic busininess...... also remember... any sale of a Canadian company valued over 300 million dollars would need to be approved by the Canadian Governement.... at the moment... not a likely event..... Creating a division is much different than spinning off said division into a separate company.... OVer all think it is a logical and efficent use of resources....
    08-18-14 12:15 PM
    Yup, in my mind this allows licensing of these technology a lot easier then going through multiple companies.
    theRock1975 likes this.
    08-18-14 01:19 PM
    This is so that if JC decides to sell the hardware business it will be clear to investors that Blackberry is just getting out of the smartphone business and retains the valuable services and business infrastructure business. It's a smart move. He probably could sell the hardware business for cash and increase BBRY stock price at the same time.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    08-18-14 01:26 PM
    This is so that if JC decides to sell the hardware business it will be clear to investors that Blackberry is just getting out of the smartphone business and retains the valuable services and business infrastructure business. It's a smart move. He probably could sell the hardware business for cash and increase BBRY stock price at the same time.
    What exactly would buying the "hardware business" get someone? Really think it would be more like selling off a few manufacturing plants and equipment... if there was a business, there would be no need to sell it.

Not really sure what BlackBerry even owns in the manufacturing area. Foxconn isn't there first "partner" in manufacturing of devices - they have used Celestica, Jabil, Wistron, Flextronics, Quanta Computer, and Elcoteq in the past. Did they sell everything in the Kitchener-Waterloo area?. Other locations where they have manufactured BlackBerry devices - Mexico, Taiwan, Hungary, Brazil, Malaysia. Did they own or lease these facilities?
    08-18-14 03:18 PM
    What exactly would buying the "hardware business" get someone?
    There should be hardware patents that don't go with the assets in the new division.
    08-18-14 03:26 PM
    Chen probably looked at BlackBerry's patent portfolio and said WTF...why aren't we licensing this stuff?

Or, WTF, why aren't we suing the balls off of people?

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 03:38 PM
    Chen probably looked at BlackBerry's patent portfolio and said WTF...why aren't we licensing this stuff?

Posted via CB10
    Or further to your point said. Guys?!? You know you have to use these things you have patents to right?

Posted with X10 via CB10
    08-18-14 03:42 PM
    Or... to make it easier to sell.
    08-18-14 03:45 PM

Posted via CB10
    Starting November 2014, BlackBerry will save $800M a year by terminating agreements they made a half a decade ago.

Moving forward, they will have a net gain from intellectual property. 44,000 patents and about 75 new ones for each one that is expiring. Nokia is collecting over $1B annually from patents alone.

I think Chen's plan is to have this massive revenue stream fuel iot, m2m R&D and expand the patent portfolio while they're at it.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 04:58 PM
    Source on the 800 million? Heard something similar on the last conference call but they didn't quantify it or give any details about it.
    08-18-14 05:58 PM
    Source on the 800 million? Heard something similar on the last conference call but they didn't quantify it or give any details about it.
    Sorry, I don't have a source but if I recall correctly, it was John Sims who mentioned it during an interview. It was also mentioned in latest earnings call.

Edit: wasn't him..was the CFO
    http://www.berryreview.com/2014/02/0...ter-this-year/
    Jtaylor1986 likes this.
    08-18-14 06:34 PM
29 12