It was a huge mistake for BlackBerry to announce strategic reviews without more details. This is why. No one is buying while there is uncertainty over the future...

Morgan Stanley Is Said to Hold Off on BlackBerry 10 Upgrade - Bloomberg

Expect this to be the first of many... along with app developers, carrier support, etc.

"Morgan Stanley is holding off on upgrading its employees to BlackBerry Ltd. (BB)’s newest smartphones and operating system because of concerns that the Canadian company may not back its platform long-term, according to two people with knowledge of the bank’s plans.

Morgan Stanley would normally have a firm timeline for an upgrade by now, more than five months after the new phones were introduced, said one of the people, who asked not to be identified because the bank’s deliberations are private. The bank has chosen instead to keep using earlier models such as BlackBerry 7 devices, introduced in 2011, because it wants assurance of support for BlackBerry 10 now that the smartphone maker is considering strategic changes, the people said.

A BlackBerry board committee began exploring a sale of the company this month while also weighing partnerships to rescue it from a three-year sales slide that has slashed its market value by about 90 percent. That announcement spurred speculation that other corporate customers across industries will hold off moving up to BlackBerry 10, torpedoing an effort by Chief Executive Officer Thorsten Heins to spark a sales rally with a wave of corporate upgrades.

Competitors such as Apple Inc., Google Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co. stand to benefit if customers switch away from BlackBerry.

Another large U.S. bank, with more than 100,000 employees, has started a three-month pilot program for 100 employees using BlackBerry 10, which will give it more time to decide whether to upgrade as it monitors the company’s performance, a person with knowledge of that bank’s strategy said.

Morgan Stanley, which owns the world’s largest brokerage, has about 55,600 employees. Mark Lake, a spokesman for Morgan Stanley in New York, declined to comment.

Adam Emery, a spokesman for BlackBerry, said he couldn’t comment on Morgan Stanley’s plans.

“We remain steadfast in our commitment to our customers and shareholders,” Emery said. “We believe in our innovative technologies and we are laser-focused on delivering long-term value.”

To contact the reporters on this story: Hugo Miller in Toronto at [email protected]; Michael J. Moore in New York at [email protected]

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Nick Turner at [email protected] "
    Last edited by icedkermit; 08-29-13 at 04:00 PM.
    1stTry and mjdimer like this.
    08-29-13 03:44 PM
    Agree, anyone that follows BlackBerry would have to be very cautious investing a lot of time and resources in to something that has even a chance of not being there in a year.

But I'm sure that BB management knew that it would be an issue, and at this point the uncertainty the announcement caused and the possible canceling of orders took a back seat to finding a "strategic" something. Which gives you an indication of maybe how bad things have turned on them.
    saalnaz likes this.
    08-29-13 03:54 PM
    Just another idiotic move on Heins' part. They need to resolve this situation quickly. Either **** or get off the pot.
    cmdr_dan likes this.
    08-29-13 03:55 PM
    Just another idiotic move on Heins' part. They need to resolve this situation quickly. Either **** or get off the pot.
    Agree 100%. Marketing, which not only includes the products, but image management is horrible. I think Frank Boulben is in over his head. Seriously, how could he have approved a 30 second Z10 commercial that only featured 5 seconds of the phone. How did they launch the Z10 in the U.S. with no carrier support. Why are they getting people like Crackberry Kevin on CNBC and other news networks to help properly market the company.
    cmdr_dan likes this.
    08-29-13 03:59 PM
    Could be as simple as a negotiations tactic on MS's side too...that's a heap of cash after all.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-13 05:14 PM
    It was a huge mistake for BlackBerry to announce strategic reviews without more details. This is why. No one is buying while there is uncertainty over the future...
    It wasn't a "mistake" as in something that Heins didn't foresee. While the community would like to believe BBRY remains fully committed to BB10, BBRY is probably much more focused in "strategic alternatives" for the firm now than selling BB10 devices.
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-29-13 05:25 PM
    It wasn't a "mistake" as in something that Heins didn't foresee. While the community would like to believe BBRY remains fully committed in BB10, BBRY is probably much more focused in "strategic alternatives" for the firm now than selling BB10 devices.
    Really....I call BS, but have zero way of backing it up, just like your statement.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-13 05:27 PM
    It wasn't a "mistake" as in something that Heins didn't foresee. While the community would like to believe BBRY remains fully committed to BB10, BBRY is probably much more focused in "strategic alternatives" for the firm now than selling BB10 devices.
    It absolutely was. Name one benefit of only announcing a strategic review? All it did was put the future of the company as uncertain. No decent executive would even consider adopting a platform whose future is uncertain. To announce this was a mistake. Any buyer is going to look at the sales trends to determine the price. This does anything but help that trend.
    08-29-13 05:37 PM
    Wow. This sucks. BlackBerry really shot themselves in the foot with the announcing of their strategic review.

A "Morgan Stanley Upgrades To BlackBerry 10 Handsets" is definitely a headline BlackBerry could use right now, and if I were Thorsten Heins, I'd probably pick up the phone and call whoever at Morgan Stanley and give them some kind of assurance. What scares me is that maybe there IS no assurance...
    08-29-13 05:52 PM
    It absolutely was. Name one benefit of only announcing a strategic review? All it did was put the future of the company as uncertain. No decent executive would even consider adopting a platform whose future is uncertain. To announce this was a mistake. Any buyer is going to look at the sales trends to determine the price. This does anything but help that trend.
    Sorry but wrong on so many levels...read the company's release concerning SA...then tell me they said they are up for sale. Please don't listen to all the chatter, or the copy and paste copycat blogasphere ...seems one persons writes a half truth and everyone follows without even bothering to research.

The company's release stated they are looking at all alternatives....thats it.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-13 05:53 PM
    Sorry but wrong on so many levels...read the company's release concerning SA...then tell me they said they are up for sale. Please don't listen to all the chatter, or the copy and paste copycat blogasphere ...seems one persons writes a half truth and everyone follows without even bothering to research.

Posted via CB10
    I appreciate your dedication to BlackBerry. I have a Z10 and it's the best phone I've ever owned. I want BlackBerry to succeed. But you need to start holding the BlackBerry executives accountable for the bad decisions they are making. Every day not spent on selling phones, puts them further behind. Announcing they are looking for alternatives takes up a lot of management's time, distracts employees, and is a signal to the market that there is uncertainty in the company.

As for the copy & paste blogasphere, I'm referencing Bloomberg News, one of the biggest and most reputable new organizations in the world and Morgan Stanley, one of the largest banks in the world. 2,000 units to Univision is nice, but Morgan Stanley has over 50,000 employees. I'd rather have Morgan Stanley.
    cmdr_dan and moody like this.
    08-29-13 06:02 PM
    And one of those possible alternatives is being sold. Don't be naive and think that Blackberry isn't looking for a sale to happen.

Morgan Stanley is absolutely correct in holding off on BB10 because they have to think long-term and right now Blackberry doesn't look to have much of a future.

The company I work for hasn't allowed the hosting of BB10 yet (not until we move to Exchange) and now they're definitely monitoring the situation not only due to the "strategic alternatives" announcement - but even before that when they reported those horrible sales numbers. We may never allow BB10.

Smart companies like to know what kind of future support they'll be offered before they invest considerable resources with a vendor. That's just smart business.
    techvisor, 1stTry, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    08-29-13 06:09 PM
    I appreciate your dedication to BlackBerry. I have a Z10 and it's the best phone I've ever owned. I want BlackBerry to succeed. But you need to start holding the BlackBerry executives accountable for the bad decisions they are making. Every day not spent on selling phones, puts them further behind. Announcing they are looking for alternatives takes up a lot of management's time, distracts employees, and is a signal to the market that there is uncertainty in the company.

As for the copy & paste blogasphere, I'm referencing Bloomberg News, one of the biggest and most reputable new organizations in the world and Morgan Stanley, one of the largest banks in the world. 2,000 units to Univision is nice, but Morgan Stanley has over 50,000 employees. I'd rather have Morgan Stanley.
    Agree MS is a great sale, no doubt about it.
    I see all the new OS leaks, the Link fixes, the BES updates the Z30 rollout etc...they are working really hard imo. Remarkable that <10k souls are doing all they are really.

Once again...imo it's a negotiating tactic...what purpose does them saying these things serve...other than their short sell side of the brokerage.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-13 06:14 PM
    I don't see why any company would invest in a company that wont be around in a year..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    08-30-13 08:10 PM
    I don't see why any company would invest in a company that wont be around in a year..

Apple at one point in time was 30 days away from bankruptcy.

Posted via CB10
    moody likes this.
    08-30-13 08:42 PM
    Apple at one point in time was 30 days away from bankruptcy.

Posted via CB10
    The difference between apple and bb is Steve jobs. And bb has no ace in the hole to save them.

08-30-13 08:43 PM
    The difference between apple and bb is Steve jobs. And bb has no ace in the hole to save them.

BB has over 3 billion in cash and no debt... BB has a crap load of enterprise support. BB has 70 million users, don't think its going anywhere anytime soon unless a sale occurs.
    08-30-13 08:47 PM

Every case is different. What innovation has Apple had since Steve Jobs left? BlackBerry still has 3 billion in the bank and no debt.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 08:47 PM
    BB has over 3 billion in cash and no debt... BB has a crap load of enterprise support. BB has 70 million users, don't think its going anywhere anytime soon unless a sale occurs.
    Tell me what their US marketshare is.

08-30-13 08:49 PM
    They probably did not have any choice. Even if it was going on in the background under deep cover, rumors would have been leaking out anyway. But, clearly, it has not helped one iota in selling anything bb has to offer. Maybe that's why they have invested nearly nothing in marketing/selling their phones!
    08-30-13 08:49 PM
    Every case is different. What innovation has Apple had since Steve Jobs left? BlackBerry still has 3 billion in the bank and no debt.

Posted via CB10
    Apple is over a half a trillion dollar company. 3 billion? What good is that when your phones dont sell

08-30-13 08:50 PM
    Tell me what their US marketshare is.

You do know there is a whole world outside of the USA don't you?

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 08:51 PM
    Apple is over a half a trillion dollar company. 3 billion? What good is that when your phones dont sell

How much are they paying you to trash BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 08:52 PM
    You do know there is a whole world outside of the USA don't you?

Posted via CB10
    Their marketshare outside of the US is not strong either. You can keep trusting a dead company with dead products but it doesn't change the facts.

08-30-13 08:53 PM
    How much are they paying you to trash BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    Your seriously delusional if you think I'm being paid to trash a company that shot itself in the foot. One word. Playbook.

FF22 likes this.
    08-30-13 08:54 PM
46 12