From this article:
    China’s Lenovo raises security fears with possible bid for BlackBerry - The Globe and Mail
    Financial analyst Peter Misek said that, although a deal with Lenovo is only one of several options, the Canadian government may lack alternatives. However, he added, any national security concerns could be addressed by setting up a separate company to handle sensitive accounts. �You can spin out the government employees and set up a separate entity,� said Mr. Misek, an analyst at Jefferies & Co.
    What exactly is he proposing? How would that be attained?
    10-19-13 06:11 PM
    From this article:
    China’s Lenovo raises security fears with possible bid for BlackBerry - The Globe and Mail

What exactly is he proposing? How would that be attained?
    Not sure how that will work since it would still be tied to China. Even a separate company would have security issues around it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-19-13 06:16 PM
    I think the issue is BlackBerry's enterprise and government clients database becoming property of Lenovo.

But how would that be any different from any other company buying BlackBerry? Or is Google any safer?
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-19-13 06:19 PM
    The separate entity would be controlled/run by a 3rd party. This is in fact a great solution, one that may actually work & be approved.

Not sure how that will work since it would still be tied to China. Even a separate company would have security issues around it

10-19-13 06:40 PM
    So the fact that the core OS the hardware and the NOC are controlled by a chinese entity means what? government would be very wary of this.

m1a1mg, Knightcrawler and gfondeur like this.
    10-19-13 06:49 PM
    The encryption technology is not a secret. The keys are.

This idea that China proposes a security risk is silly.

Posted via CB10
    fedakd likes this.
    10-19-13 11:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    It's just as silly as people saying specs matter even in cases that it doesn't. Even if they reassure government accounts and customers about security concerns, public perception on this matter would be impossible to change. I can't see this going through by the Canadian government. Not even close.

Posted via CB10
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-19-13 11:41 PM
    I can't see this going through by the Canadian government. Not even close.

Posted via CB10
    Or the USA, or the Germans, or...
    10-20-13 12:01 AM

Posted via CB10
    they are just Never, Ever going to give control over to the Chinese. Never.
    10-20-13 08:25 AM
    I would listen to Misek. This is the man who can "press the NSA hard" to tell him various things.
    eldricho and m1a1mg like this.
    10-20-13 04:53 PM
    Given Misek's track record, I wouldn't listen to him too much. He said BlackBerry was dead, and the stock rallied up to $15+. Then he said BlackBerry was going to make a comeback and it drop down to $10-.

I'd rather roll a dice.

Posted via CB10
    danprown likes this.
    10-20-13 05:15 PM
    You would think that Lenovo would know what they are up against.

They either have a plan to address any security concerns or
    They want to look at the books to better understand their competition.
    10-20-13 07:12 PM
    Funny how people seem to care all of a sudden eh?

Didn't care when the company responsible for your TOP SECRET data was losing $, but when it comes to selling that company, all of a sudden, it is a huge deal!

It sounds really masochistic/sadistic but I really am waiting for someone to mass hack Androids and cause havoc. That day, I'll be pulling out my **tarded BlackBerry and point and laugh :P (probably not gonna happen but oh well, I can still dream)
    gfondeur and StormieTwo like this.
    10-20-13 07:29 PM
    The only parties Lenovo could bid is BBRY's hardware part, as right now nobody except lenovo wants it.

US government just would not allow lenovo takes the security network/BES. and I do not think lenovo itself is that interested on BBRY's patents since it is not a cheap price tag for lenovo.
    10-20-13 07:34 PM
    The only parties Lenovo could bid is BBRY's hardware part, as right now nobody except lenovo wants it.

US government just would not allow lenovo takes the security network/BES. and I do not think lenovo itself is that interested on BBRY's patents since it is not a cheap price tag for lenovo.
    Considering Lenovo bought out IBM's Thinkpad hardware division, it wouldn't be too surprising for Lenovo to buy out BlackBerry's hardware division either.
    10-20-13 07:37 PM
    Listen to Misek, guys
    He even "pressed the NSA hard" last time..

Posted via CB10
    danprown likes this.
    10-20-13 08:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    I strongly disagree. Controlling the NOC means you can have access to the data. BES data still, even in BES10, goes through the NOC, as does the discovery service (if you activate that way). Owning the NOC can still present severe issues. Not to mention you would also have a Chinese company owning next generation encryption technologies. (ECC).
    10-21-13 08:46 AM
    Nonsense double speak by the Canadian Govt. If the Govt cares so much about the security issues then why not bailout BlackBerry. It's either free market or not. The Canadian govt wants to have its cake and eat it too.
    10-21-13 09:08 AM
    Nonsense double speak by the Canadian Govt. If the Govt cares so much about the security issues then why not bailout BlackBerry. It's either free market or not. The Canadian govt wants to have its cake and eat it too.
    Where is the double speak from the actual Canadian government? Don't take what people post on CB as the voice of the Canadian government.

How do you "bail out" a company without debt?
    10-21-13 10:02 AM
    Yes,issues arising from the fact that going through NOC e-mails may be stored sometimes temporarily or if the mobile gateway has full admin access rights to the enterprise server (I think BES when connected to Exchange had that and maybe still has it).

Also intelligence nowadays does not need to be only "content" but the meta data -- to whom and when. Very helpful in econ/political espionage (see NSA/CDN hacking/surveillance of Petrobras, Brazil, Mexico's president, etc.).

Once you have all that meta data, you then plant hardware or keylogging software to get the keys from the weakest link and start decrypting real time.

I strongly disagree. Controlling the NOC means you can have access to the data. BES data still, even in BES10, goes through the NOC, as does the discovery service (if you activate that way). Owning the NOC can still present severe issues. Not to mention you would also have a Chinese company owning next generation encryption technologies. (ECC).
    10-21-13 10:08 AM
    That is what I do not understand too. In one breath BBRY is in sound financial state, then Canada must bail BBRY out. How? Provide a 2 Billion dollar marketing loan? Cover the salaries of 4,500 people for 2 years?

How do you "bail out" a company without debt?
    10-21-13 10:11 AM
    It doesn't really matter. Misek will just force the Chinese not to spy. They are sure to be scared of him after the way he handled the NSA.
    10-21-13 10:11 AM
    He manhandled the NSA. They are still sore.

It doesn't really matter. Misek will just force the Chinese not to spy. They are sure to be scared of him after the way he handled the NSA.
    10-21-13 10:20 AM
    He manhandled the NSA. They are still sore.
    What are you guys referring to please? Can u post a link?
    10-21-13 10:30 AM
    Interview on TV in Canada. I think this should have video the BlackBerry's 'NSA-proof' encryption a valuable asset for buyers - Business - CBC News

Someone had posted it in the forums before. He was saying BBRY is NSA-proof because he pushed them pretty hard on it and they did not tell him they could spy on it...

What are you guys referring to please? Can u post a link?
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    10-21-13 10:50 AM
30 12