Was doing some research on the creative genius who is BlackBerry's Chief Marketing Officer Frank Boulben. Here's an interesting article from Marketing Week...
    Profile: Frank Boulben, chief marketing officer, BlackBerry | Trends | Marketing Week
    Some interesting points:
    • BlackBerry had a 50% increase in marketing spend during Q1 this year
    • BlackBerry is working with an award-winning agency on on the 'Keep Moving' project
    • 'Keep Moving' has had more than 22 million views
    • Their Formula 1 partnership commits BlackBerry to design an app for F1 and to develop technological solutions to improve the communication between pit and driver
    • "Hyperactive teenagers" is a key component of BlackBerry's demographic
    Last edited by birdman_38; 07-28-13 at 12:06 AM.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    07-27-13 07:48 PM
    I like this:
    whatever the price point, you will have the exact same #BB10 experience. It will have the exact same user interface, the same applications
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    07-27-13 08:02 PM
    OK....am I in a weird third parallel universe?

Two positive comments in a row?

Nice to see gentlemen and thank you.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-13 12:23 AM
    Their Formula 1 partnership commits BlackBerry to design an app for F1
    jus throwin it out there, we`re half way through the F1 season already!.
    07-28-13 12:34 AM
    jus throwin it out there, we`re half way through the F1 season already!.
    Is there no app? (Sorry, I don't follow F1)
    07-28-13 12:47 AM
    Is there no app? (Sorry, I don't follow F1)
    are there F1 apps? yes, is there one from BlackBerry? no.

Does make BlackBerry look silly when they haven't made an app yet vendors using the SDK given to them by BlackBerry have
    07-28-13 01:03 AM
    OK....am I in a weird third parallel universe?

Two positive comments in a row?

Nice to see gentlemen and thank you.
    Let me make myself perfectly clear. I do NOT approve of Frank Boulben's performance as CMO of BlackBerry! I actually posted those points to try to spark some debate because they're clearly absurd.
    Last edited by birdman_38; 07-28-13 at 01:17 PM.
    07-28-13 11:31 AM
    A 50% marketing spend which resulted in poor in-store presence and low visibility in print & TV advertising.
    07-28-13 12:43 PM
    are there F1 apps? yes, is there one from BlackBerry? no.

Does make BlackBerry look silly when they haven't made an app yet vendors using the SDK given to them by BlackBerry have
    There is an F1 timing app, both native, one free and one with much more content is paid for.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-13 01:16 PM
    There is an F1 timing app, both native, one free and one with much more content is paid for.

Posted via CB10
    Re read what I said. There are apps out there no doubt. But the BlackBerry built one isn't there.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-13 02:06 PM
    A 50% marketing spend which resulted in poor in-store presence and low visibility in print & TV advertising.
    And Kantar figures this morning that show that they have no impact at all on bbry's decline in the UK/USA - so whatever you think of the product the marketing isn't working.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2
    07-29-13 09:21 AM
    And Kantar figures this morning that show that they have no impact at all on bbry's decline in the UK/USA - so whatever you think of the product the marketing isn't working.
    Or lack thereof.
    08-07-13 01:29 PM
    I don't think that's a universal thing though. Some markets have better results than others. I comfortably find BlackBerry 10 devices on display in Canada, well merchandised in Canada and see ads on tv all the time in Canada.

But doubt I would in the U.S. I do see commercials on US tv I get over the air from NY but not sure how they crack the merchandising thing. Let's be blunt ... Rogers, Bell and Telus make a lot more money proportionately off of BlackBerry devices in Canada than Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and TMobile do in the US. It's a tough sell for US carriers to allocate their limited (precious) floor space to phones that don't move at the expense of phones that do.
    08-08-13 11:06 AM
    Good article. I'm glad they provided a platform for Frank to explain the direction he's taking BB marketing, as oppose to doing a critical analysis. Because if they did it would be a pretty sad sight to see...

It's been said before but the current efforts, if not direction itself, has been pathetic.
    Just as an example, the very fact that BB has lost it's #3 position globally is a testament to the failure of Frank to live up to even his own expectations.

For your sake Boulben, I hope you will address the litany of problems the members of Crackberry have highlighted in the various threads. You cannot claim to know better and have a future-proof plan anymore. There will be no future if you do not fix the present.
    08-08-13 11:20 AM
    Marketing is something BlackBerry just does not do well. They have not had to do it before as they were the only game in town for secure corporate email. That is no longer true, unless we are talking about the US DOD. But they just released today that DOD is getting 30,000 OS 10 phones for high security requirements. That is an insignificant number of sales.

This new guy seems to be the same as the old guy. They need a very strong marketing talent. They fired the VP sales but still have this guy!

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 03:53 PM
    Tough gig. Everyone thinks they're a legend in the field.
    08-08-13 04:44 PM
    Anyone at BlackBerry who thinks teens are still a major component of BlackBerry's demo shouldn't even be there. That was the case in 2008-2011 but not so anymore.
    08-10-13 11:32 AM