With a market cap of $5.48 billion, BlackBerry is now much more attractive to a potential suitor. Microsoft, Sony, Lenovo, IBM, Nintendo could all come knocking in the next few weeks.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 01:30 AM
    See what the Canadian government has to say about that.
    06-29-13 01:32 AM
    Lenovo if anyone would be sniffing them out. To really see if worth looking at, they need a full year to judge flop or turn around. IMHO i see a continued user base slide and low device sales of bb10 devices. The hype is all but a wimper now.
    06-29-13 01:35 AM
    You mean when they said they would not bail them out. Government made it loud and clear they would let them sink in a heart beat.
    Saiga likes this.
    06-29-13 01:36 AM
    Hmm. This thread is optimistic if you are a pessimist about the future of BlackBerry and yet also very pessimistic if you are an optimist about the company. To me this is the dark side. I guess I'm an optimist. Rooting for the underdog here. I'll only consider it good when BB10 is out in full force in a years time. When we have seen the full potential of BB10 and it still is failing then the companies will come calling to buy. BBRY may be still too pricey right now. Can we not wait and see? Until then lets go BB!
    06-29-13 01:40 AM
    You mean when they said they would not bail them out. Government made it loud and clear they would let them sink in a heart beat.
    No.. The Net Benefit clause of the Investment Canada Act
    Frequently Asked Questions - Investment Canada Act

Check it out.
    06-29-13 01:45 AM
  7. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Love to see some big players offer to buy BlackBerry... given the circumstances, I think the Canadian Government would allow the purchase to go through, with some conditions.

Posted via CB10
    fedakd and BlackistheBerry like this.
    06-29-13 08:04 AM
    $5.5bn market cap
    $3.1bn cash

Value of the company is $2.4bn? Insanely low. Doesn't take into account patents and other IP which are difficult to value.
    cjcampbell and dusdal like this.
    06-29-13 08:14 AM
    Where did you read $2.4 billion?

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 10:54 AM
    Love to see some big players offer to buy BlackBerry... given the circumstances, I think the Canadian Government would allow the purchase to go through, with some conditions.
    Yeah. This strategy really helped Palm and Nokia.

How many handset only companies are left?
    06-29-13 12:11 PM
    At this pont in time blackberry is a disgrace to Canada. It used to be a national treasure but no more. I'd be genuinely surprised if they want to continue linking blackberry with Canada.
    06-29-13 12:15 PM
    At this pont in time blackberry is a disgrace to Canada. It used to be a national treasure but no more. I'd be genuinely surprised if they want to continue linking blackberry with Canada.
    Except unlike the US ,BlackBerry is still popular in Canada. So shove that bull**** back up...

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    Michail Karteros likes this.
    06-29-13 12:28 PM
    Can't go bankrupt when you're not in debt. Not sure why everyone thinks Blackberry needs taking over.

They cut losses from over 500 million to 86 million. They still sold 6.7 million devices, yes 60% being BB7 but most of those phones are low budget devices. I suspect when BBRY reveals their lower end BB10 devices more of those customers will be purchasing BB10 and not BB7 devices.

They have 3.1 billion in cash. So again, why does this company need to be taken over? Because they didn't have a blowout quarter? Do I have to remind you that their guidance was to make a profit of 6 cents a share. If they did that would you be praising them and saying "Oh man, Blackberry is back!"? I really doubt that.

I'm disappointed the Z10 isn't doing as well as we had hoped but this quarter also barely reflected any Q10 sales. They've cut losses by a ton and have managed to grow revenue by 10%. 18,000 companies are now using their server software.

Just because a company isn't dominating a market, doesn't mean it can't succeed. They're doing over 3 billion dollars in revenue a quarter which would be a run rate of 12 billion a year. They used to profit at those levels, why can't they do it again?

Some of you people need to stop living in the moment and actually sit down and understand the big picture.
    06-29-13 12:49 PM
    Some of you people need to stop living in the moment and actually sit down and understand the big picture.
    The big picture is about where the future earnings will be coming from. If the sluggish sales of BB10 are an indication, and BlackBerry is out of the tablet business, how long can they last just making handsets? The only companies making money from handsets are not just making handsets (Apple & Samsung).

A large portion of BlackBerry's income is from non-BB10 products.

The big picture is that these sales are not being replaced by the new product.
    06-29-13 01:15 PM
    The company would have been much more attractive at this time last year, when the shares hit $6. Thorsten shopped the company around, but no one bit. Can't see that changing now. Lenovo and Sony already make Android phones, and Lenovo has said they're looking to bring Android phones to the US next year. Firefox, Ubuntu and Tizen OS are bother launching this year, and while they won't be big hits, they're still open source and free or cheap to license.

What does BB10 offer an OEM that BB itself can't provide? Why would an OEM be interested in it?
    06-29-13 01:21 PM
    The big picture is about where the future earnings will be coming from. If the sluggish sales of BB10 are an indication, and BlackBerry is out of the tablet business, how long can they last just making handsets? The only companies making money from handsets are not just making handsets (Apple & Samsung).

A large portion of BlackBerry's income is from non-BB10 products.

The big picture is that these sales are not being replaced by the new product.
    Exactly what I said. The old product that is available from Blackberry is their low end smartphone devices. This is my guess but it seems only logical to me that once Blackberry introduces the lower end BB10 devices, their customers from those markets will be buying those phones and not the BB7 devices. It wouldn't make sense to buy a BB7 device if a BB10 device was available for the same price. Hell, I don't think the BB7 devices will be available once the low end BB10 ones are.
    06-29-13 02:30 PM
    Except unlike the US ,BlackBerry is still popular in Canada. So shove that bull**** back up...

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    Any numbers to back that up, or is this a "me and my friends use them" post?
    mikeo007 and bekkay like this.
    06-29-13 03:08 PM
    Thorsten shopped the company around, but no one bit. Can't see that changing now.
    Are you sure? I thought he said they wanted to see the BB10 project through before selling. They did their due diligence when Microsoft/Nokia came to the table, but that's about it.
    Last edited by birdman_38; 06-29-13 at 10:56 PM.
    06-29-13 09:50 PM
    They also increased revenues by double digits in all regions, except South America, and Venezuela was the reason for that. Were it not for the Venezuela issue that region would also have grown.

So I see 60% of the stock price being covered by cash and the rest covered by hard assets(property and equipment is 2bln alone) and other intangibles such as patents.

Their growing BB10 market, including QNX (autos, medical equipment, etc) just being gravy.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 10:38 PM
    The only suitor I'd be interested in for BlackBerry would be Amazon, mainly for their content. I think the synergies between them would be excellent. I would prefer a partnership rather than a take-over though, but more than that I'd just like support for all their apps and services. I'm sure BB would get a surge in the US.

If MS acquired BB, there'd be no BB left. Plain and simple. So anyone advocating that might as well hope for BB to just go bankrupt and wither away.

I think BB will be fine. I actually think they posted a loss despite a revenue increase mainly because they were doing some floating accounting and knew the BB10 adoption numbers were below expected, so they might as well make this the bad quarter and I'll bet they'll be posting a profit next quarter again. It really wasn't that bad (other than the PB news for us PB owners).

The thing about the PlayBook is, they will be supporting it since they have corporate and government customers using it. So it's surprising to me that they couldn't make some kind of compromise on functionality and features from BB10 to come to the PlayBook so it is more of a unified platform. It really doesn't say much for their grand computing schemes if its still relegated to only their phones. Hopefully Heins just pulled another Heins and was just bad at communicating, and in fact meant that BB10 on the whole isn't coming, although pieces of it are (and it just won't be called BB10 because of it's partial state).
    06-29-13 10:54 PM
    Are you sure? I thought he said they wanted to see the BB10 project through before selling. They did their due diligence when Microsoft/Nokia came to the table, but that's about it.
    He did his due diligence to the shareholders, and they decided to do as you said. I don't think they wanted to sell, but they at least went through the motions of considering it. I don't think they will do any reconsidering at this time, since BB10 is still in its infancy. That said, that doesn't prevent someone from soliciting an offer, which they'd have to at least consider if valid and decent if only for the shareholders.
    06-29-13 10:59 PM
    It would be incredibly stupid for the government to bail out blackberry and I'm glad they will not

Government subsidies do not work in tech

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 08:58 PM