The last Glimmer of hope before next week will be BBM.

BBM will be launching tomorrow on Android and on iOS on Sunday. If BlackBerry can manage to add a couple of million users over the weekend, you can really start to see some added value to the company. Likely enough to keep us from continuing to free fall from our current $8-$9.

I would expect BlackBerry to announce how many users have downloaded BBM on iOS and Android at the earnings next week so things are very very bleak. But not catastrophically bleak yet. There is still hope!

I expected quite a big hit to the earnings and said in the other thread that I expected loss around $0.50. Which I hit pretty close (when not accounting for the write down, which is really just an accounting number fudging anyways). I didn't however sell my shares. I promised I'd hold them for a few years and not do swing trading. (I don't have a good heart to be doing day trading or even day to day trading. lol)
    Will BlackBerry return to it's former glory next year? Not likely. Will it ever? Possibly.

If their BBM takes off, it could be worth something.
    Last edited by Andrew4life; 09-20-13 at 07:10 PM.
    danprown and wincyUt like this.
    09-20-13 06:28 PM
    How does blackberry make money from bbm?
    09-20-13 06:34 PM
    They're going to make it completely free except when a girl sexts you, which will cost $20 to read
    09-20-13 06:35 PM
    Never mind the fact that currently there is no way for BBM to generate revenue whatever happens after the weekend release will not be a factor in this quarters reporting.
    09-20-13 06:44 PM
    There are plenty of ways they can implement it. IMO they should pay for use of premium features like video calling and screen share. BBM Channels is also a part of it if you haven't heard of it before. There is plenty of room for advertisements and promotions through corporate Channels. Individual people can make their own Channel about anything they want (hobbies and general interests) and that might help attract a large following of BBM Channels users which would attract companies to advertise and promote. It's great for public relations companies too. BBM channels also allows you to chat with other people subscribed to the same channel so it can safely connect you globally to people who share the same interests as you without ever divulging your personal phone number or pin. BBM will be a contender no doubt and I really hope they can grow it into a good revenue stream as soon as possible. Right now it will be free to gain interest.
    09-20-13 06:52 PM
    Not initially, but if they can grow their user base to more than whatsapp then it could be worth something.
    09-20-13 07:09 PM
    do not think you could really earn much from that.

This is even more crowded than the phone business, WhatsApp, weChat, iMessage, Skype, Facebook, Google, Twitter,... eventually everyone's functionality would be pretty much the same, there is no rock science there.

And you know webChat/iMessage/Skype/Google/Facebook all have unlimited money in the bank to support. (wechat from Tencent whose market cap is $100B+, LOL)

It is just so delusional for anyone to think that they can earn money from this space in the next 3 years or so.
    danprown likes this.
    09-20-13 09:31 PM
    How would you know? We all have to wait and see if BBM X takes off or doesn't. Lets assume that BBM's subscribership meets or surpasses WhatsApp, then I can see some of the BBM services being monetised. Skype initially never charged for most of its services too; now it does.
    IMO, there is nothing delusional even if you've guessed right.

do not think you could really earn much from that.

This is even more crowded than the phone business, WhatsApp, weChat, iMessage, Skype, Facebook, Google, Twitter,... eventually everyone's functionality would be pretty much the same, there is no rock science there.

And you know webChat/iMessage/Skype/Google/Facebook all have unlimited money in the bank to support. (wechat from Tencent whose market cap is $100B+, LOL)

It is just so delusional for anyone to think that they can earn money from this space in the next 3 years or so.
    09-20-13 10:26 PM
    How would you know? We all have to wait and see if BBM X takes off or doesn't. Lets assume that BBM's subscribership meets or surpasses WhatsApp, then I can see some of the BBM services being monetised. Skype initially never charged for most of its services too; now it does.
    IMO, there is nothing delusional even if you've guessed right.
    I do not know, but I do not think BBM can get 300M users any time soon. If you believe it, it is your own business.
    09-20-13 10:29 PM
    BBM will be launching tomorrow on Android and on iOS on Sunday.
    Or not
    09-23-13 05:12 AM
    Or not
    Now a word from our sponsor:

Last Glimmer of Hope Before September Earnings-thorsten-heins.jpg
    danprown likes this.
    09-23-13 05:30 AM
    There are plenty of ways they can implement it. IMO they should pay for use of premium features like video calling and screen share. BBM Channels is also a part of it if you haven't heard of it before. There is plenty of room for advertisements and promotions through corporate Channels. Individual people can make their own Channel about anything they want (hobbies and general interests) and that might help attract a large following of BBM Channels users which would attract companies to advertise and promote. It's great for public relations companies too. BBM channels also allows you to chat with other people subscribed to the same channel so it can safely connect you globally to people who share the same interests as you without ever divulging your personal phone number or pin. BBM will be a contender no doubt and I really hope they can grow it into a good revenue stream as soon as possible. Right now it will be free to gain interest.
    EVERYTHING depends on marketshare and how many users they can get (not potential).

• Premium Features - are coming soon... so several months at least.
    • Advertisements - have to show advertisers that you can reach THEIR customers. If BBM has 30 Million users by the end of the year, that might be great. But an advertiser is going to want to know WHERE are those users, are they in markets that are key to them and bring in a lot of returns on ad dollars spent? Or are they in smaller markets where users don't have as much disposable income?
    • Channels - again it is a GREAT concept, but it requires users in order to attract those Corporate Channels??

Given time and a good product, yes BBM could be a revenue stream.... but we are talking millions, not the billions that a company like BlackBerry needs.
    danprown likes this.
    09-23-13 09:29 AM