Hi everyone,

Unfortunately this is not good news. I have a very good friend that works for a large Canadian Bank and she forwarded me an email that was sent to all of their employees. It appears they ran into issues with their BES10 pilot project and are delaying deployment of BB10 devices until "Blackberry resolves the issues". I don't want to get anyone in trouble and I know you want to see the message, so I have done my best to sanitize it.

Are the issues they state common? I also work for a large organization and I don't recall us having this problem. And the fact that they felt the need to mention Apple, Windows and Android doesn't help the situation either.

Here are selected excerpts from that email:

Subject: Update on the BlackBerry 10 launch/ Mise � jour sur le lancement BlackBerry 10

As a follow up to our earlier communication, the Team would like to share that we have been working diligently to ensure the BB10 device is fully functional, secure and compliant for Bank use. During the pilot phase, some employees experienced intermittent email outages and inconsistent calendar synchronization. Our team views missing calendar entries and a loss of service as serious issues that impact the quality and overall experience. [Bold added by me for emphasis]

Because our primary commitment is to launch technology that is secure, productive and reliable; we will not proceed with the enterprise launch until BlackBerry resolves these issues. The Bank is in daily contact with BlackBerry, and they have committed to resolving the functionality issues as soon as possible. In the meantime, we have broadened our device strategy to provide Bank employees with more choice and flexibility going forward.

To this end, we are in the process of certifying the Apple iPhone for corporate use; and employees eligible for an upgrade will have the option of moving from a BlackBerry to an iPhone once approved. We expect the target date for iPhone availability to be late November. We also want to highlight that work is underway to certify the Samsung Android and Windows Mobile devices as well in F2014.

We will provide information on further developments in upcoming communications.
    milo53 likes this.
    10-01-13 09:32 PM
    Sounds funny... Intermittent email outages and inconsistent Calendar sync is more likely related to the Back end Mail system, individual email account issues or even wifi/connection issues. The other thing it says "some" employees had issues... so most of the people experienced no isssues.

Then they say "Because our primary commitment is to launch technology that is secure, productive and reliable; we will not proceed with the enterprise launch until BlackBerry resolves these issues." Really if they are using a BES server they already have the most secure platform and reliable platform. So I don't quite understand this statement.
    10-01-13 10:06 PM
    What I don't get is that I know RBC is already on BB10 and they have no issues. So I don't know why that bank in your message is having issues with it.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 10:11 PM
    This sounds like it's caused by BB10 locking out accounts when it receives an unknown response on sync, instead of just waiting and retrying later. When a user is in an area with bad reception, a whole bunch of accounts can get locked out and then the user has to know enough to reenable them.

It's done this since the PlayBook and I don't know why it was designed this way.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    10-01-13 10:30 PM
    Well at least they are working with BlackBerry to resolve the issue and not completely ditching it. So not total bad news.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 10:41 PM
    At least you have some information. My bank BOA has dine nothing as far as I know. They had a working app on OS7 but don't understand why nothing now...

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 10:57 PM
    This sounds like it's caused by BB10 locking out accounts when it receives an unknown response on sync, instead of just waiting and retrying later. When a user is in an area with bad reception, a whole bunch of accounts can get locked out and then the user has to know enough to reenable them.

It's done this since the PlayBook and I don't know why it was designed this way.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    Are you talking about WiFi profiles here or mailbox accounts?

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 03:12 AM
    Are you talking about WiFi profiles here or mailbox accounts?

Posted via CB10
    Mailbox accounts. I did read an explanation that made sense, that it was implemented this way so that mailbox accounts wouldn't get blocked server-side from repeated failed login attempts.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    10-03-13 06:09 AM
    There is nothing abnormal about implementations and rollouts being delayed. Ask anybody in Release Management. If it was canned, I'd be worried.
    10-03-13 09:58 AM
    The more concerning part is that they have broadened the spectrum and soon all will be eligible for Iphones, Samsungs, and Nokias.
    10-03-13 10:54 AM
    Hope your friend likes unemployment as this is a breach of confidential information. Ha ha bad move forwarding that info.

And chances are the problems are probably more the exchange server and not bes10.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 10:58 AM
    Hope your friend likes unemployment as this is a breach of confidential information. Ha ha bad move forwarding that info.

And chances are the problems are probably more the exchange server and not bes10.

Posted via CB10
    Not a chance. It is a large bank. Do you know how many people would have received this email? And I've sanitized the information. Good luck Sherlock.

And what exactly in this message is confidential? It does not give up anything proprietary or does not put the organization at risk. Fact is fact. And if they didn't want this message to potentially get out, they would have labelled it as such. Being a large bank, they are very strict when it comes to information classification.
    needforbbx likes this.
    10-04-13 09:20 AM
    why do I have a hard time thinking this is real?
    10-04-13 09:28 AM
    It is.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 04:23 PM
    Once the dust settles about BlackBerry purchase or partnership we will see an inflood of companies adopt BES10.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 01:07 PM
    Once the dust settles about BlackBerry purchase or partnership we will see an inflood of companies adopt BES10.
    Not likely.

Blackberry will kill handsets and the company will be on it's last legs. Companies will not feel safe investing money in Blackberry and will likely adopt one of the many other choices instead of BES10.
    10-05-13 04:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    Not likely.

Blackberry will kill handsets and the company will be on it's last legs. Companies will not feel safe investing money in Blackberry and will likely adopt one of the many other choices instead of BES10.
    To be fair both of these posts sound like you guys are so sure of what will happen. You know as little as everyone else does. Life is never so cookie cutter so don't be so sure either of you are correct.
    Thunderbuck and needforbbx like this.
    10-05-13 04:58 PM
    The more concerning part is that they have broadened the spectrum and soon all will be eligible for Iphones, Samsungs, and Nokias.
    Because managing a wide array of iPhones and various Android devices will be less problematic than a pure BB10 solution.
    10-06-13 01:17 AM
    Tell me why you have a hard time believing it. I can only tell you that it was sent directly to me and most of it is exactly as it was written. I tried to sanitize it a bit so as to not identify anyone or make it obvious who it is. I'm sure there are many folks on these forums that likely work there and recognize this message.
    10-10-13 01:48 PM
    At least you have some information. My bank BOA has dine nothing as far as I know. They had a working app on OS7 but don't understand why nothing now...

Posted via CB10
    Probably too soon. Don't forget BB10 has only been available since earlier this year. It can take enterprises months to do anything.
    10-10-13 01:51 PM
    Because managing a wide array of iPhones and various Android devices will be less problematic than a pure BB10 solution.
    Are you serious? It's a bloody nightmare.

I'm working with Mobile Iron. And if it was not for BlackBerrys consistent failure to deliver they would clean up. Deploying apps for my current client requires modifying every single app with the Mobile Iron plugin (or so I'm reliably informed). For BlackBerry, apps can be deployed without change.
    10-10-13 01:54 PM
    Just tell their IT department to PM me lol. I work for one of those 3 letter US agencies and have been using BB10 on BES since December. Doing a large scale roll out here soon. Also since PIM and Mail is done directly through ActiveSync, their issue is almost assuredly back end related.
    10-10-13 01:54 PM
    To be fair both of these posts sound like you guys are so sure of what will happen. You know as little as everyone else does. Life is never so cookie cutter so don't be so sure either of you are correct.
    We know what we've been told. If anyone bothers to read what Fairfax actually say, they'd find that once private BlackBerry will continue to function as now - except hopefully leaner and more agile.

So yes, there is uncertainty. But once the companies future is determined I think you'll see a significant marketing effort by BlackBerry targeted at enterprise and "prosumer". And since the BlackBerry solution is in many ways superior to the competition, they should do well in enterprise.
    10-10-13 01:57 PM
    We know what we've been told. If anyone bothers to read what Fairfax actually say, they'd find that once private BlackBerry will continue to function as now - except hopefully leaner and more agile.

So yes, there is uncertainty. But once the companies future is determined I think you'll see a significant marketing effort by BlackBerry targeted at enterprise and "prosumer". And since the BlackBerry solution is in many ways superior to the competition, they should do well in enterprise.
    Fingers crossed.
    10-10-13 03:02 PM
    I will cancel all my accounts and future business with said financial institution once I confirm who it is. And yes I will find out. I seem to care about security more than they do.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 03:24 PM
35 12