If the actual loss to the company was 4.4 billion they would be bankrupt....
    C'mon, Dave...
    JeepBB, MERCDROID, bekkay and 1 others like this.
    12-20-13 12:23 PM
    C'mon, Dave...
    Cmon what!... I rather listen to people who are specialized in this field than some random forum posters... Chris U. explained it in the podcast.... and that is the reason why stock is going up. They are making progress...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    12-20-13 12:26 PM
    Cmon what!... I rather listen to people who are specialized in this field than some random forum posters... Chris U. explained it in the podcast.... and that is the reason why stock is going up. They are making progress...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    The accounting bit is straightforward, no? I'm not seeing the made up news you're describing.

Besides, wasn't Chris a persona non grata after his last article? LOL
    JeepBB, bekkay and techvisor like this.
    12-20-13 12:28 PM
    The negative storm clouds trying to rain on what is otherwise a sunny day

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 12:34 PM
    The stock is going up because simply shareholders expected the company to perform worse this quarter. In fact the results were not impressive but lets be honest we did not expect the company and the CEO to have such a quick impact. He made the deal with foxconn, he announced he wants to minimize fixed costs and he was totally honest about his strategy to save the company or turn things around. Hes also hiring people and execs from his team i guess this also makes an impact. In summary, wall street views this as a start of a new BlackBerry and investors view Mr.Chen as a guy who can make things happen. The focus on low end devices is a really good move, speacially since he saw that BBOS 7 devices are selling more than BB10 devices so why not give people an affordable BB10 device, maybe just maybe they will start considering a move to BB10.
    Dave Bourque and eddy_berry like this.
    12-20-13 12:35 PM
    Why are you being so stridently and willfully ignorant.

The write down is a loss (not cash but a loss as sure as you are breathing), there are rules of accounting that determine and define it as such and no amount of hard headed foot stomping on your part is going to change that.

Lackluster sales but yet the stock rises?-gaap.png
    12-20-13 12:38 PM
    I want to see an affordable BB10 device.

Still, I don't think affordability had been the biggest issue.
    12-20-13 12:38 PM
    True. The average person watching the news is baragged with headlines saying that BB lost $4.4 billion. On a per share basis this is larger that the current stock price which should make you scratch your head. The company is trading well below book value so impairment tests and charges must be carried out as per GAAP and IASB standards. The media keeps talking about how much they lost and how significant it is, yet the market is valuing the company near cash and effectively saying the other assets are worth nothing. The media likes to have it both ways...tell everyone they are worth nothing, and then complain that they are writing things down.
    12-20-13 12:42 PM
    I want to see an affordable BB10 device.

Still, I don't think affordability had been the biggest issue.
    True, but remember when the Z10 first came out it was 600 dollars no contract, and 200 dollars contract. But then because of low demand the price dropped. Now if BlackBerry had the marketing that we really want to see more people would know about the Z10,Q10.... So a l"cheap" bb10 with the perfect ingredients would make a good start.
    But to the date today i still get asked is that really a BlackBerry.
    12-20-13 12:42 PM
    People don't understand, the stock is rising cause it represents what is expected for the company. No one buys a business for the past results, people buy it for what it will pay in the future.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 12:43 PM
    4.4 billion loss? What??... and people wonder why I think the US media and carriers are truly trying to sabotage BlackBerry.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    NPR reported that this morning. It's sounding really bad over here.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z10
    12-20-13 12:55 PM
    well, they laid out a plan. positive thinking, positive outlook.. people like that!
    m1a1mg and JeepBB like this.
    12-20-13 01:16 PM
    Seriously Dave, do you take obtuse training?

From BlackBerry press release:
    Company takes primarily non-cash, pre-tax charges of $4.6 billion associated with long-lived assets, inventory and supply commitments, and previously announced restructuring and strategic review process; GAAP loss from continuing operations of $4.4 billion, or $8.37 per share diluted,
    compared with a GAAP loss from continuing operations of $965 million, or $1.84 per share diluted, in the prior quarter
    Quoting mostly because the first line made me chuckle!

But, I do have a question: did BB break down the 4.6billion into specific write downs costs, etc? I was rather expecting an explicit write down this quarter, like the billion dollar Z10 write down last time, so I was confused when I didn't see it mentioned... but, there was a write down, yes? And it's part of the 4.6Bn?
    12-20-13 01:28 PM
    Why are you being so stridently and willfully ignorant.

The write down is a loss (not cash but a loss as sure as you are breathing), there are rules of accounting that determine and define it as such and no amount of hard headed foot stomping on your part is going to change that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GAAP.png 
Views:	419 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	231858
    My problem with it is these news outlets give no explanation and stack on all the problems they faced all year as if it was news to beef up the article. They rush to put out news without analyzing anything. The majority of articles don't break down the losses and only say it was a $4.4B loss without any context as to how they managed to lose $4.4B. I read a lot of people opinions on these articles and I only found one person explaining it properly and everyone else ignoring him and saying that BlackBerry is dead... again.
    12-20-13 01:29 PM

But, I do have a question: did BB break down the 4.6billion into specific write downs costs, etc? I was rather expecting an explicit write down this quarter, like the billion dollar Z10 write down last time, so I was confused when I didn't see it mentioned... but, there was a write down, yes? And it's part of the 4.6Bn?
    That's what I understand of it.
    12-20-13 01:30 PM
    That's what I understand of it.
    Thanks.

Will there be additional filings/documents that break out the specific write down costs per model?

I'm not an accountant (did you guess?), so I'm unsure what and how much BB have to declare.
    12-20-13 01:35 PM
    I may get back into this stock, because I'm finally starting to hear the beginning of a coherent and realistic strategy. They also have much more impressive people running the show now.

I think the stock rebounded because of these simple reasons.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    12-20-13 01:39 PM

Here is the whole deal: BlackBerry Reports Third Quarter Fiscal 2014 Results - Press Releases
    eddy_berry and JeepBB like this.
    12-20-13 01:52 PM
    So, from page 5, I'm taking those figures to mean BB took a write down of $2.7 Billion, and paid $1.6 Billion to extricate themselves from manufacturing and supplier commitments.

Wow!

Makes the billion dollar Z10 write down look like small change lost down the back of the sofa by comparison.

I have to give it to Chen... Bold move to get it all out there in one hit, and it seems to have worked.
    eddy_berry likes this.
    12-20-13 02:14 PM
    It lost that much in value. Correct?
    No it did not loose that much in value. They were writing off assets that they consider redundant or not profit generating. These are sunk cost that is of no value to BlackBerry but could be very valuable to other companies. This in my opinion is overly prudent thus creating an image that BlackBerry is worth less than it actually is.

In view of that I believe is why the stock prices Weng up. In fact when BlackBerry wrote off the 1 billion dollar inventory would have created the same scenario. These assets are of value but they are written off as scrap. It then create an image of a lower value of the company. That is why the BBRY shares are under valued.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 02:17 PM
    I thought the same thing this morning

Posted via CB10 on the awesome Z10
    12-20-13 02:20 PM
    My problem with it is these news outlets give no explanation and stack on all the problems they faced all year as if it was news to beef up the article. They rush to put out news without analyzing anything. The majority of articles don't break down the losses and only say it was a $4.4B loss without any context as to how they managed to lose $4.4B. I read a lot of people opinions on these articles and I only found one person explaining it properly and everyone else ignoring him and saying that BlackBerry is dead... again.
    You are absolutely correct in how this is being reported very badly (not negatively just in a non-explanatory way) by the media. And then then people run with that. All of this has to be taken in it's totality but I just find it laughable that anyone could say with a straight face that writing down $1.5 billion in inventory is not a loss because it does not affect the cash balance.
    JeepBB, MERCDROID and eddy_berry like this.
    12-20-13 02:27 PM
    Interesting. The Moto G is truly an amazing phone at the price point it is being sold at. I think it will shake up the entire industry. If I were making an Android device I'd be scared looking at that phone running Android 4.4 at that price point. Google is definitely willing to target the low end. But that said, will they sell the Moto G overseas at that price? Remember, Google gets revenue from ads. So it can sell devices cheap because of ad revenue. But a US consumer is completely different ad target then an Indonesian consumer. Maybe Google can't sell at this price outside of the US because they can't get enough ad revenue marketing to someone in Indonesia.
    The Moto Gs for my youngsters just arrived. They're are nice. Very nice for the price.

One thing though, I think Google is actually making a profit off the hardware. An estimate I read pegs the Moto G device cost at $120ish. Sure they have money invested in R&D and shipping them, but the more they sell, the more the make. Even before counting the ad revenue. So I wouldn't be surprised to see the Moto G launch everywhere.
    MERCDROID likes this.
    12-20-13 02:32 PM
    So, let's take stock

1. People seemingly still prefer the OS7 devices.
    2. Z10 still struggling to sell well at bargain basement prices
    3. Q5 seemingly dead in the water. Q10 not selling well
    4. Z30 selling poorly (as expected)
    1. Yes, but why? Because they're cheaper? Probably. Because people are already familiar with them? Probably. It's not a route to grow the business though...
    2. The Z10 still isn't $200 permanently. It was a limited sale only available to the U.S. and Canadian markets. It's not a good metric on the desirability of the Z10 at bargin basement prices.
    3. Unknown without by device breakdown.
    4. Selling poorly due to low demand or low availability? There is a difference.
    12-20-13 02:54 PM
    Really... cause Chris Uemi the financial analyst would be wrong. the guy with the head in the sand avatar must be correct...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    He isn't wrong. From an accounting perspective, they did lose that much money. However, they didn't suddenly lose $4+ billion in cash, which is what is sometimes implied.
    12-20-13 02:58 PM
119 12345