This quarter marks the end of write downs and a significant chunk of the restructuring costs. It is clear that Chen is clearing the slate and setting groundwork to build upon.

And even with all of these write downs, they only bled $400 million cash and have enough to last 8 quarters at that rate.
    Essentially they have 2 years to get back in shape.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    12-20-13 11:08 AM
    Short covering! They realized BlackBerry isn't going out of business the stock will not reach $0 in the foreseeable future .

Posted via CB10
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    12-20-13 11:08 AM
    4.4 billion loss? What??... and people wonder why I think the US media and carriers are truly trying to sabotage BlackBerry.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    It's not just the US Media, even the KW Record which is BlackBerry's hometown newspaper reported a 4.4Billion dollar loss for BlackBerry this morning. Would be nice if the media in general did their research and homework and didn't just copy off the person beside them. Now everyone I know will be coming to me saying, "See, I told you BlackBerry was dead, they just lost 4.4 Billion Dollars, they will be out of business in 6 months..."
    Loc22 likes this.
    12-20-13 11:10 AM
    That's a lie. They expected to lose 800 million or more they lost 400. They haven't said they are leaving the high end market...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    They aren't pushing out any high end consumer device anytime soon. It's telling that the first product of the Foxconn partnership is a low cost device. The positive there is that Foxconn is managing inventory so not much danger of massive stockpiles of phones that aren't selling.

Lower revenue than forecast, higher losses per share, much lower quarterly shipments than the previous quarter...how is that better than expected?

It's even more pathetic when one considers that the Z10 was heavily discounted in this period to around half of its launch value. They couldn't even sell well at $200!

Also means the Z30 flopped. Expect a price slash on that model.

So, let's take stock

1. People seemingly still prefer the OS7 devices.
    2. Z10 still struggling to sell well at bargain basement prices
    3. Q5 seemingly dead in the water. Q10 not selling well
    4. Z30 selling poorly (as expected)

Yes, I'd say the BBM and Enterprise stuff IS the positive news today.
    JeepBB and techvisor like this.
    12-20-13 11:13 AM
    This quarter marks the end of write downs and a significant chunk of the restructuring costs. It is clear that Chen is clearing the slate and setting groundwork to build upon.

And even with all of these write downs, they only bled $400 million cash and have enough to last 8 quarters at that rate.
    I find that overly optimistic!

This quarter BlackBerry has almost been in a holding pattern. If they want to turn things around, they are going to have to INVEST, and that means spending money.

They hare a partner to build hardware and to "control" inventories.
    They appear to have a short term solution to the app problems in the form of a possible Andorid "fix".
    But the marketing / and advertising issues are going to EAT a very BIG chuck of the cash that BlackBerry has. And much of it will be needed just to overcome the last three years and the failed launch of BB10. I could see them burn $1- $2 Billion real fast in just trying to get the consumers attention.
    12-20-13 11:14 AM
    It's not just the US Media, even the KW Record which is BlackBerry's hometown newspaper reported a 4.4Billion dollar loss for BlackBerry this morning. Would be nice if the media in general did their research and homework and didn't just copy off the person beside them. Now everyone I know will be coming to me saying, "See, I told you BlackBerry was dead, they just lost 4.4 Billion Dollars, they will be out of business in 6 months..."
    It's an earnings report story. Most stocks have headlines like this. If they posted a profit that would be the headline.
    12-20-13 11:14 AM
    Nope. Not that.

By the time March/April comes around, $150 Android phones running Mediatek's new Octacore chipset will be sweeping the Asian sales charts. Not to mention Qualcomm's also jumping in with an LTE capable low cost chipset.
    The new Mediatek SoC benchmarks close to 2013 flagships in performance, so it'll absolutely FLY with Android KitKat.

The Moto G was just a precursor. Google has firmly set its sights on the low end. This faces an uphill climb, to be honest.
    Interesting. The Moto G is truly an amazing phone at the price point it is being sold at. I think it will shake up the entire industry. If I were making an Android device I'd be scared looking at that phone running Android 4.4 at that price point. Google is definitely willing to target the low end. But that said, will they sell the Moto G overseas at that price? Remember, Google gets revenue from ads. So it can sell devices cheap because of ad revenue. But a US consumer is completely different ad target then an Indonesian consumer. Maybe Google can't sell at this price outside of the US because they can't get enough ad revenue marketing to someone in Indonesia.
    12-20-13 11:17 AM
    Looks like some people here are not happy with the stock price going higher on good news. Blackberry has a more then enough cash to turn this around . The storm clouds are all around but don't let them rain you out.
    BlackistheBerry likes this.
    12-20-13 11:17 AM
    Even I was talking about the Toronto Star and CBC which is where I saw it first. So I wasn't even talking about the US media. I saw a good view point about it all on the Business News Network. They basically said people will be impressed by John Chen and may be banking on his abilities.
    12-20-13 11:19 AM
    It's an earnings report story. Most stocks have headlines like this. If they posted a profit that would be the headline.
    The headline should be " Loss of 400 million expected 800, stocks goes up" not this 4.4 billion retardation.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    12-20-13 11:19 AM
    They are reporting the earnings release. Yeah there will be further inventory write downs, unless somehow people start buying BB10, and that trend isn't evolving

Posted via CB10
    milo53 likes this.
    12-20-13 11:29 AM
    But BBRY did lose $4.4B. I can't understand your issue with that?
    12-20-13 11:29 AM
    Nope. Not that.

By the time March/April comes around, $150 Android phones running Mediatek's new Octacore chipset will be sweeping the Asian sales charts. Not to mention Qualcomm's also jumping in with an LTE capable low cost chipset.
    The new Mediatek SoC benchmarks close to 2013 flagships in performance, so it'll absolutely FLY with Android KitKat.

The Moto G was just a precursor. Google has firmly set its sights on the low end. This faces an uphill climb, to be honest.
    Intel celeron - carried the Intel name but performance was blah, just cause its a octocore doesn't mean the os is going to fly. It's still the overall experience. If BlackBerry keeps adding to the os10 experience and designs an affordable phone that runs great it will be fine in this race.

BlackBerry forever, haters never!
    stlabrat likes this.
    12-20-13 11:30 AM
    If they posted a profit the media would still spin it as, "BlackBerry posts a rare profit, enough to save them? Doubtful."
    12-20-13 11:33 AM
    Really... cause Chris Uemi the financial analyst would be wrong. the guy with the head in the sand avatar must be correct...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    12-20-13 11:33 AM
    But still sitting on 3.2 billion and entering five year deals, and increasing enterprise business, what is your issue with that?

There is good to take with the bad!

BlackBerry forever, haters never!
    notafanboy likes this.
    12-20-13 11:34 AM
    No it didn't lose $4.4B. It wrote down assets. The write down was based upon guesses as to the current value of those assets. Probably it wrote down a huge portion of the assumed value of its IP and other intangibles. This is bad, but cash flow is really the only thing that matters. And cash flow wasn't as bad as was feared.
    stlabrat likes this.
    12-20-13 11:38 AM
    Really... cause Chris Uemi the financial analyst would be wrong. the guy with the head in the sand avatar must be correct...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    Seriously Dave, do you take obtuse training?

From BlackBerry press release:
    Company takes primarily non-cash, pre-tax charges of $4.6 billion associated with long-lived assets, inventory and supply commitments, and previously announced restructuring and strategic review process; GAAP loss from continuing operations of $4.4 billion, or $8.37 per share diluted,
    compared with a GAAP loss from continuing operations of $965 million, or $1.84 per share diluted, in the prior quarter
    12-20-13 11:39 AM
    No it didn't lose $4.4B. It wrote down assets. The write down was based upon guesses as to the current value of those assets. Probably it wrote down a huge portion of the assumed value of its IP and other intangibles. This is bad, but cash flow is really the only thing that matters. And cash flow wasn't as bad as was feared.
    It lost that much in value. Correct?
    techvisor likes this.
    12-20-13 11:39 AM
    I think Chen is seeing that the manufacturing costs are too high so Foxconn is the logical choice?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    12-20-13 11:40 AM
    The headline should be " Loss of 400 million expected 800, stocks goes up" not this 4.4 billion retardation.
    There are international standards for accounting that you can't just dismiss because you don't like them. Cash balance is only one metric in the financial health of a company. Investors and banks need to know the overall picture, which is why these standards exist.

Per the standards, BlackBerry lost over $4B because their inventory and other assets are worth less than they previously thought. That counts and that is real, even if it isn't cash.

So the "press" is reporting BlackBerry's loss in the same way BlackBerry themselves reported their loss by accepted accounting standards.
    m1a1mg, Drew808, 21stNow and 3 others like this.
    12-20-13 11:41 AM
    Seriously Dave, do you take obtuse training?

From BlackBerry press release:
    Company takes primarily non-cash, pre-tax charges of $4.6 billion associated with long-lived assets, inventory and supply commitments, and previously announced restructuring and strategic review process; GAAP loss from continuing operations of $4.4 billion, or $8.37 per share diluted,
    compared with a GAAP loss from continuing operations of $965 million, or $1.84 per share diluted, in the prior quarter
    Yea leave out the other half where the actual loss is 400 million...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    12-20-13 11:42 AM
    There are international standards for accounting that you can't just dismiss because you don't like them. Cash balance is only one metric in the financial health of a company. Investors and banks need to know the overall picture, which is why these standards exist.

Per the standards, BlackBerry lost over $4B because their inventory and other assets are worth less than they previously thought. That counts and that is real, even if it isn't cash.

So the "press" is reporting BlackBerry's loss in the same way BlackBerry themselves reported their loss by accepted accounting standards.
    If the actual loss to the company was 4.4 billion they would be bankrupt....

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    12-20-13 12:03 PM
    If the actual loss to the company was 4.4 billion they would be bankrupt....
    No, you're still only focused on cash. BlackBerry, like any other company, has assets and liabilities other than their cash.

You just can't redefine accounting to look only at cash. Their GAAP loss was $4B+. Look up the meaning of GAAP.
    JeepBB, bekkay, techvisor and 2 others like this.
    12-20-13 12:10 PM
    It is that with Chen there is a consistent decision making, and the most important now we all know what is BB trying to do, before this it wasn't clear Prosumer vs Consumer, tool vs toy, now we understand BB will focus on software and services, will make a very few models of devices for corporate clients (big corporations and governments), will make low tier devices outsourcing Foxconn, it is clear that we all BB fans will be able to buy a BB device the low tier foxconn or the mid high tier BB but maybe you won't find them in a showcase. With this they show the market they are here to stay and they have assumed they can't fight Apple and Google but they have defined their position in the market, they have defined their strategy, and the most important that they have a business that viable to be profitable.

On the other side it seems that they have been able to have a steady growth of BBM users so this may suggest the market that BB will have a new monetizing source soon.

At the end, even the financial results are bad, and they were expected this way maybe a little bit better or a little bit worst but they seem to have been effective controlling the cash burn and cutting costs, so the trend may show that in a year or a year and a half they may stop burning cash and start with profitability if they keep the pace they have now.

Summarizing I guess the market is getting convinced that there is not only a chance for BB to succeed but that they have found the way, I'm not expert in company valuation but the price of the stock now won't be a bet about the BB Bankruptcy but about the timeframe of the rebound of the company and the final size it will have when that happens, how many quarters more of shrinking?
    12-20-13 12:20 PM
119 1234 ...