Stock broke into the $7 mark. Haven't seen that in a while.
    12-20-13 10:16 AM
    Don't argue with it, just enjoy it
    12-20-13 10:18 AM
    2 options , as mentioned by another member : Short expected the stock to go much lower and need to cover.
    Or maybe , a lot of investors are happy with the plans Mr Chen explained.
    He actually impressed me with his view about a lot of things , i have a feleing that he can convince people to invest in bbry.
    12-20-13 10:20 AM
    Don't argue with it, just enjoy it
    This!

I think the hardware partnership and JC's delivery might be calming the market.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    Cash flow is most important result. Cash reserves are much much higher than street expected. Stock is just a $3.3 billion market cap while company hold $3.2 billion in cash. This stock price isn't impressive. It is just the market going, hmmm, maybe these guys aren't going to be out of business in a year.
    They like where chen is going for now. The previous results where worse than expected but they see that as the past.
    12-20-13 10:21 AM
    They like where chen is going for now. The previous results where worse than expected but they see that as the past.
    THIS
    12-20-13 10:22 AM
    wouldn't say they are that bad consiering people were expecting to see an 800 million loss and they took less then half of that and showed their cahs position is still strong while they also have new plans for devices and software going forward. honestly the results may not have been good from a finacial stand point but on a long term sign they are looking better and on a stock that is under valued big time the end results are a plus for the price
    12-20-13 10:22 AM
    Could it not be because of this?
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/inplay...9997.html#bbry

"The co announced that it has entered into a five-year strategic partnership with Foxconn, the world's largest manufacturer of electronic products and components. Under this new relationship, Foxconn will jointly develop and manufacture certain new BlackBerry devices and manage the inventory associated with those devices. "

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 10:23 AM
    Partnership with Foxconn and hire of SAP Exec probably the cause. Not sure if these are enough to propel the stock back up to $9 though.
    12-20-13 10:28 AM
    Probably because Chen was straightforward, didn't talk in circles or use vague metaphors, and people think this guy might actually be able to execute. Waterloo has been a Circus for quite some time and at least now they got someone from outside the Waterloo distortion field and this is good.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 10:29 AM
    Why would it not go up? Are you kidding me. There is more positive than negatives in this quarterly report.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    propeller10, Loc22 and ridemaster like this.
    12-20-13 10:34 AM
    Why would it not go up? Are you kidding me. There is more positive than negatives in this quarterly report.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    The casual observer would never know this judging from the news headlines!
    propeller10 and spyeagle like this.
    12-20-13 10:36 AM
    If you look at the ER, it isn't nearly as bad as many had expected. Be interesting to see if this is a temporary knee jerk reaction, or an indication of some real confidence in the company.

Personally looking at the money and look at device movements... Chen has a LOT of work to do for there to even be a future for BlackBerry. Really look forward to Chris's breakdown.
    12-20-13 10:38 AM
    The casual observer would never know this judging from the news headlines!
    That's why you don't listen to mainstream media . I've stopped for a long time.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    ital1, sam81 and bigbadben10 like this.
    12-20-13 10:39 AM
    Yeah with everyone reading about the $4.4B loss in the news it is starting to drop again. Perhaps by the end of the day it will hover around $7.45? A gain? Maybe. Who knows.

Edit: Still dropping. I would like to see how it goes by the closing today. It is volatile right now.
    12-20-13 10:56 AM
    Yeah with everyone reading about the $4.4B loss in the news it is starting to drop again. Perhaps by the end of the day it will hover around $7.45? A gain? Maybe. Who knows.
    4.4 billion loss? What??... and people wonder why I think the US media and carriers are truly trying to sabotage BlackBerry.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    sam81 likes this.
    12-20-13 10:57 AM
    4.4 billion loss? What??... and people wonder why I think the US media and carriers are truly trying to sabotage BlackBerry.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    Yea I woke up to the earnings call and started checking online news and pretty much every news outlet has headlines stating a $4.4B loss. I made a thread about it. Someone explained that it is like your house losing property value. I guess it kind of makes sense. But you would never say that you are losing $4.4B when they are just inventory write downs. It was necessary. They need a rebirth in Enterprise and cleaning up the previous mess was necessary.
    12-20-13 11:02 AM
    If you look at the ER, it isn't nearly as bad as many had expected. Be interesting to see if this is a temporary knee jerk reaction, or an indication of some real confidence in the company.
    Earning reports are much worse than most expected.

Stock is going up because there are positives in the BBM growth and potential....and BlackBerry seems to be focusing more effort on the Enterprise sector.

Analysts are also happier than Chen seemingly isn't keen on competing at the high end of the market anymore. So if you're the typical Crackberry BB10 fan, this is bad news for you.
    m1a1mg, JeepBB and techvisor like this.
    12-20-13 11:02 AM
    BlackBerry has ample cash because of attrition and recent capital injection, not growth in sales. Sales are in fact falling at a fast rate. And this is the worrying part as there will be a barrage of new Android phones from Korea and China coming out in first half of 2014. Can't see how the Z30 can compete against these new models and with minimal advertising sales will continue to plunge. Where is the new growth gonna come from if BB7 is the revenue generator.
    techvisor likes this.
    12-20-13 11:04 AM

Stock is going up because there are positives in the BBM growth and potential....and BlackBerry seems to be focusing more effort on the Enterprise sector.

Analysts are also happier than Chen seemingly isn't keen on competing at the high end of the market anymore. So if you're the typical Crackberry BB10 fan, this is bad news for you.
    That's a lie. They expected to lose 800 million or more they lost 400. They haven't said they are leaving the high end market...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    12-20-13 11:04 AM
    Could it not be because of this?
    InPlay from Briefing.com - Yahoo Finance

"The co announced that it has entered into a five-year strategic partnership with Foxconn, the world's largest manufacturer of electronic products and components. Under this new relationship, Foxconn will jointly develop and manufacture certain new BlackBerry devices and manage the inventory associated with those devices. "

Posted via CB10
    Nope. Not that.

By the time March/April comes around, $150 Android phones running Mediatek's new Octacore chipset will be sweeping the Asian sales charts. Not to mention Qualcomm's also jumping in with an LTE capable low cost chipset.
    The new Mediatek SoC benchmarks close to 2013 flagships in performance, so it'll absolutely FLY with Android KitKat.

The Moto G was just a precursor. Google has firmly set its sights on the low end. This faces an uphill climb, to be honest.
    12-20-13 11:05 AM
    This quarter marks the end of write downs and a significant chunk of the restructuring costs. It is clear that Chen is clearing the slate and setting groundwork to build upon.

And even with all of these write downs, they only bled $400 million cash and have enough to last 8 quarters at that rate.
    12-20-13 11:05 AM

But Chen did say that high end devices would still be manufactured by them. Also I think low end devices should be good news to any BB fan. I always wanted them to flood with low end devices and build an ecosystem. They can't build an ecosystem without more devices. This quarter only 1.1M BB10 devices sold. They need to multiply that by a couple hundred and low end is the way to do it.
    12-20-13 11:06 AM
    This quarter marks the end of write downs and a significant chunk of the restructuring costs. It is clear that Chen is clearing the slate and setting groundwork to build upon.

And even with all of these write downs, they only bled $400 million cash and have enough to last 8 quarters at that rate.
    Tell that to the press. Please.
    12-20-13 11:07 AM
119 123 ...