BlackBerry Z10 - Phones - How To Spend It

MARCH 02 2013
    JONATHAN MARGOLIS
    Ive often said that our Canadian cousins at BlackBerry have lost the plot these past few years. Well, this, the Z10, suggests theyve found it again. Within 30 seconds of picking it up, I felt as if I had the iPhone 6 in my hand. Running iOS 7. It is an awesome phone, with a pleasing new operating system, BB10.

Both the BlackBerry Z10 hardware and the OS, a Canadian/Swedish/Australian co-production, could have the folks at Cupertino gnashing their teeth, because whatever iPhone upgrade they launch later this year or next, it will surely struggle to catch up. The Z10 looks like the iPhone 5 should have a bit less tall and thin, a tad chunkier, a bit plastickier, but less chunky than the otherwise lovely (yet doomed) Nokia Lumia 920, which is a crucial 8 per cent wider and over a third heavier than the BlackBerry. Its not just that the Z10s physical form resembles a putative iPhone 6; BlackBerry has even designed its app icons to look as I suspect Apple might be redesigning them at this very minute.

The Z10 is the fruit of the shake-up following BlackBerrys dog days in 2011, and its decision to refocus on business users rather than rioters. The problem is that it could continue to appeal to the rioting community not just because the beloved free BBM messaging system and signature red flashing message light remain, but because the Z10 is superb as a fun machine as well as a business tool. Indeed, it seems BlackBerry has been hoovering up all the clever little developers Apple should have bought. Take a look at the Z10s analogue-style alarm clock when you play with one and the genius Time Shift photo mode.

Devotees of BlackBerrys nasty (at least I think) little keyboard and tiny screen may be shocked by the Z10. Its 4.2in touch screen doesnt even have a physical home button under it, and the phone is operated by single thumb gestures via what the makers call BlackBerry Flow a rocking system that enables you to keep open multiple applications. The gestures would take an iPhone or Android user a couple of days to get used to, but are easy to learn using the tutorial in the box. Very, very impressive. I hope it works for them and not only out of Commonwealth solidarity.
    Snap51, drjay868, Jince and 17 others like this.
    03-03-13 09:07 AM
    Love it !!
    03-03-13 09:17 AM
    It will just keep getting better.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-13 09:48 AM
    I would have liked the article better if he would have used three verys instead of only two. As in very very very impressive. Other than that, things are looking up.
    03-03-13 10:01 AM
    "Devotees of BlackBerry’s nasty (at least I think) little keyboard and tiny screen may be shocked by the Z10. "

Curve owners, he means you.
    bbaleno likes this.
    03-03-13 10:50 AM
    I'm feeling pretty good.
    03-03-13 12:58 PM
    IPhone struggling to catch up ?I'm all for bb doing well, but I think that's a fanboy gushing rather than a review..
    Bbnivende likes this.
    03-03-13 12:59 PM
    I know it doesn't look like it but I can't stop smiling. Please someone timeshift me - my face is hurting.
    ibpluto and digitalman101 like this.
    03-03-13 04:13 PM
    It nurishes our BB ego, but it is not a review. ;-)
    OMGitworks likes this.
    03-03-13 05:29 PM
    Canada and Europe are returning love to BlackBerry. This was... well, the plan

Posted via CB10
    peter9477 likes this.
    03-03-13 06:34 PM
    Apple can only hope that the iphone 6 is half as good as the z10.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-13 07:04 PM
    Blackberry has a campus here in Cary, NC as well so I don't see how it's just Canadian, Swedish, and Australian. Other then that it's a great review.
    03-03-13 07:10 PM
    IPhone struggling to catch up ?I'm all for bb doing well, but I think that's a fanboy gushing rather than a review..
    Think the enthusiastic author was talking about the OS and phone in gereral not sales... there is no doubting Apple's sales but they really are dragging a bit in the innovation department....
    03-03-13 07:53 PM
    Blackberry has a campus here in Cary, NC as well so I don't see how it's just Canadian, Swedish, and Australian. Other then that it's a great review.
    I'll be in Cary (again), in 2 months or so... where is their campus?
    03-04-13 08:11 AM