Clearly there's a demand for keyboards a la iPhone, so what is BlackBerry doing about it, instead of litigating vs. Typo, why don't they give the masses what they want, make a keyboard attachment as typo is doing and sell it for iPhones and Android users, give it the same BlackBerry experience, this way it builds and keeps it's brand relevance. This way people will realize the significance of the keyboard, see that BlackBerry does it better, and keeps brand awareness, imagine an iPhone with a BlackBerry branded keyboard.

On top of it all they make revenue off the device, clearly there's money in it, just ask Typo, create one, people will buy earn money and profit from it. Show your openness to other devices, and demonstrate your relevance, don't sit back expecting people to buy BlackBerry devices just for the keyboard, there are shortcomings that not everybody wants with BB10, so give choice to those other users who don't want to solely use BlackBerry devices.

Get on it BlackBerry, quit being so slow at execution!!!

Posted via CB10
    Acumenight likes this.
    12-10-14 08:44 PM
  2. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Um no....

Posted via CB10
    12-10-14 09:07 PM
    I haven't seen anyone who actually wants their iPhone to be 6 feet long... don't think it's a good idea
    12-10-14 09:15 PM
    I think there is some merit in this. It's clear Typo had a market and would have (or did) sold 100's of thousands of these things. Blackberry could have partnered with them and licensed the BB keyboard. Here's why...

1) It would have perpetuated the physical keyboard in a market that is clearly moving to virtual keyboards
    2) It would have given Blackberry a toe-hold in the consumer market and made a potential future keyboard device less scary for iPhone users
    3) Would have also cemented the association of keyboards with Blackberry, for good or bad.

I wonder if we'll see this type of device in the future, after Typo is defunct ?
    dalinxz likes this.
    12-11-14 12:49 PM
    While this could be beneficial for BlackBerry's bottom line and potentially could re-ignite the passion for a pkb in some buyers, it also takes away one of BlackBerry's strongest competitive advantages.

If you could have your iphone with a keyboard why would you ever consider a BlackBerry? The company is already suffering from people not knowing about/ understanding the benefits of HUB (which is also being more and more copied by other UIs) and security remains a grey area for many people, especially since understanding the advantages of one platform over another in this respect, is difficult to (actually) understand for the average person

BB for Life
    12-11-14 02:02 PM
    Blackberry should put that awesome passport touch keyboard on a tablet. Typing on any tablet is just awful. Imagine not having to stretch your thumbs to type or scroll the page!

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 03:10 PM
    Blackberry should put that awesome passport touch keyboard on a tablet. Typing on any tablet is just awful. Imagine not having to stretch your thumbs to type or scroll the page!

Posted via CB10
    Chen mentioned something like that during his Hongkong visit recently.

Start from 68mins...

:-)

? ? ? Zzzzwipetypetapped from The Maskport - Zzzzmoqin'.... ? ? ?
    theRock1975 likes this.
    12-12-14 05:46 AM
    There is a market for QWERTY devices... just not sure how large that market is, or how much of it would rather have an all touch iPhone or Android than a QWERTY BlackBerry.

I heard most of these arguments as BlackBerry's marketshare dried up against the all touch Apples and Androids. I heard again how the mighty keyboard would return to dominance with the Q10.

I think there is a "group" of people that really love the physically keyboard experience and don't mind giving up screen real estate to get it. But "I" don't think there are enough of them to sell more than a few million devices. And I'm not convinced that enterprise has been sitting around for the last three years waiting for BlackBerry to finally get it right.

But at the end of this financial year (May) we will know how much demand there was for the Keyboards (Passport and Classic).
    12-19-14 01:43 PM
    Isn't the Fiscal Year End in March?

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    12-19-14 02:01 PM
    Isn't the Fiscal Year End in March?

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    You are correct... I'm just thinking it will take until the June ER for us to really know if BES12 and the Classic are going to succeed. Just like the Passport was released in September and many are saying that BlackBerry couldn't see those devices as sales due to the backorders. They'll say the same about the Classic with it's limited release this month and maybe not release in the US until sometime in Jan/Feb.
    12-19-14 02:56 PM