Hello,

This post is directed at Kevin and the team.
    First of all big fan of the site. I am one of the addicts. I spend an unhealthy amount of time on here, reading chatting etc.

I am also an investor in BBRY stock, long and strong. As the majority of the media have been leaning more on the negative side of the fence when reporting about BlackBerry I was thinking today...I know BlackBerry won't release any solid figures until the ER at the end of June, so i was looking for a proxy which would tie me over until then.

As Crackberry is the beacon of the BlackBerry community I thought some stats from the website could act as a proxy. For example number of registrations, forum activity, number of views per blog post etc

If you don't want to give stats can you do a thumbs up or down as an indicator.

If this is highly inappropriate for whatever reason, please forget I asked.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 02:26 PM
    Actually, I've posted on this before... gotta dig up my other threads where I get into this. But in general, our traffic stats are viewable publicly on quantcast (they're not the full bible though as they don't include app traffic, which is massively on the rise right now). Also, forum members, etc. you can watch on the bottom of the forums index. Keep in mind there is a lot of stuff that can influence those numbers beyond just the current sales/demand of new phones.
    05-08-13 02:56 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply.

After posting I thought I should have dug around a bit more probably, but was working at the wane time.

I understand that there will be many factors that may affect these figures but I think I can read between the lines and use some of it to modify my model of BlackBerry.

Will have a look at what you have mentioned.

Huge thanks to you and the team for just generally being awesome! Looking forward to BlackBerry live to see what Thor has lined up.

Hi from Greece!

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 03:04 PM
    Facebook likes are also an indicator

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 03:14 PM
    Shall we change this thread into a "what do you use as proxies" thread?

I did think about facebook. I thought that as they had a new CMO facebook likes may be disproportionately increasing as the new marketing start with their large budget...

Thoughts?

I have to admit though that I haven't been keeping a close eye on this. What's your take?

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 03:30 PM
    you can probably also look at relative popularity using google trends. one idea is to search for 'cases' - if you own a phone, you probably need to look for a case.

Google Trends

or 'battery' as Z10, Q10 and S4 have replaceable batteries.

Google Trends
    05-08-13 10:55 PM
    As an active day trader, long and short, of stocks which I could care a less which they go as I do not have an affection for anything that I trade, including BB, which as part of my due diligence I do track as best I can several BB benchmarks.

Without a doubt, BB is one of the least transparent reporting companies imho when it comes to so called channel checks, etc., in fact the reporting by BB is pathetic as are the never ending employment cuts that I have been aware of personally; disgusting how it is that some employees have been trashed days prior to being entitled to healthy bonuses, now resulting in wrongful dismissal lawsuits under case law which may drag out for quite some time, but in the end the x-employees will be successful.

It ain't rocket science to come forth with actual sales numbers of Q's and Z's along with whatever other letters of the alphabet that BB is going to come out with as they relate to sales of their products. This is a no brainer, enough of the fluff marketing and press releases. This is what the investment community wants to know, actual sales numbers, no differently than when trading oil and natural gas, etc. as they relate to their weekly inventory reports, likewise job reports and more.

Anyways, BB has chosen the "not to make it simple stupid" approach to market feedback, so be it works for me; as a result I have been very active shorting the hell out of BB more so than being long. In light of the bizarre lack of transparency of BB sales I would expect BB share value to continue to tumble. However, as mentioned earlier, I could care a less which way any stock goes. I trade the trend throughout the day to the best of my abilities, long and short, cashing out at the end of the day, rarely holding investments overnight. The days of buy and hold are for losers, imho.

Thanks, Komoto for posting this question. Cheers, BB_Trader.
    05-09-13 06:26 AM
    Just had a look on Quantcast, from what i can make out the numbers are fairly steady over the past year and the only spike was on the 30th January
    05-09-13 07:00 AM