View Poll Results: Is this smart investing?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 31.71%
  • No

28 68.29%
    Otech#CB, congratulations on your investment. In spite of people (me included) telling you how wrong you were, right this minute you look pretty darn smart. Well played.
    Otech#CB likes this.
    12-24-13 08:49 PM
    Mike has been involved in some interesting stuff happening around waterloo

New $5 million lab to grow building blocks of quantum devices

Thursday, December 12, 2013
    University of Waterloo scientists hope unconventional research will bring them closer to the development of a quantum computer

A first-of-its-kind, world-class laboratory that could lead to the creation of quantum materials for use in a new generation of technologies opened at the University of Waterloo?s Institute for Quantum Computing (IQC) today.

Quantum materials are needed as the building blocks of robust quantum devices that will be able to function outside of laboratory settings bringing the possibility of a quantum computer one step closer.

?New materials are not conventional, so we need to take an unconventional approach to this research,? said Professor David Cory, Canada Excellence Research Chair in Quantum Information Processing. ?The Institute for Quantum Computing has made a significant investment in quantum materials science and the most promising direction for building quantum devices is quantum materials.?

The lab houses a unique new $5 million tool to grow new materials that could form the building blocks of quantum technologies.

The tool, built by Omicron Instruments, features an ultra-high vacuum, multi-chamber design to grow high-quality thin films and layered structures. Thin film structures are at the heart of today?s electronics from computer chips to micro sensors.

The unique aspect of the new tool is the range of materials that can be grown within it ? from oxides and metals to superconductors and topological insulators ? a novel type of material exhibiting unique quantum behaviour. In typical deposition systems, magnetic materials are kept away from superconductors and topological insulators are separated from both magnets and superconductors. The new tool features molecular beam epitaxy and sputtering methods to grow the materials and researchers hope that this new regime will provide a new direction for the development of quantum materials.

?The Institute for Quantum Computing is proud to be the home of world-leading research,? said Professor Raymond Laflamme, executive director of IQC. ?David Cory?s work in quantum materials, and the research of his colleagues here at IQC, is advancing our understanding of quantum information and its importance in the next generation of technology.?

This new lab further extends Professor Cory?s research program, which now totals over $40 million, and is an essential tool for fellow IQC Professor Guo-Xing Miao?s research on quantum materials and spintronics.

"Quantum science will shape the future of technology,? said Feridun Hamdullahpur, president and vice-chancellor of Waterloo. ?The activities happening here at the University of Waterloo and the Institute for Quantum Computing, including Professor Cory's new lab,�builds on our international presence for research excellence and we expect that the results will be an important step in building a pathway to the quantum world.?

The Government of Canada, Canada Foundation for Innovation, the Ontario Research Fund, industry partners and others helped fund the new lab.

"Our Government funds programs such as the Canada Excellence Research Chairs to break new ground in strategic areas of importance to Canadians," said Harold Albrecht, Member of Parliament for Kitchener-Conestoga. "Discoveries being made at global centres of excellence like Dr. David Cory?s lab here at the University of Waterloo, strengthen Canada?s overall research capacity. This creates new jobs and positions Canada at the cutting edge of innovation."

Posted via CB10
    Good post zee3p0! I have heard about that. And I am hoping he uses his earnings for making necessary investments in the quantum sector.
    12-24-13 09:03 PM
    Everybody who bought shares in the last 3 months, how are you feeling at this point?
    leamago likes this.
    12-28-13 09:57 PM
    Good post zee3p0! I have heard about that. And I am hoping he uses his earnings for making necessary investments in the quantum sector.
    I went to a few talks given by Laflamme, the director of the Institute of quantum computing. He was a post-doc of Stephen Hawking, had a position at Los Alamos before being scooped up by Waterloo. A brilliant guy. If anybody can make a success of quantum computing, it is him.
    Otech#CB likes this.
    01-02-14 08:50 PM
    I went to a few talks given by Laflamme, the director of the Institute of quantum computing. He was a post-doc of Stephen Hawking, had a position at Los Alamos before being scooped up by Waterloo. A brilliant guy. If anybody can make a success of quantum computing, it is him.
    Just read Laflamme's bio. He is truly knowledgeable. I believe he could be a potential partner or form some kinda of contract to conduct research together. I hope to see something happen. I mean, he does reside in Waterloo...
    01-03-14 01:13 AM
    Just bought my first set of BBRY Shares!-img_20140107_141816.png

How we investors doing?
    tinochiko likes this.
    01-07-14 04:19 PM
    Otech#CB, congratulations on your investment. In spite of people (me included) telling you how wrong you were, right this minute you look pretty darn smart. Well played.
    Absolutely. Got in at the right time, now to figure out when to get out. GLTA
    leamago likes this.
    01-08-14 07:49 AM
    Thanks m1a1mg! I truly appreciate that bro. I did my best to stay firm, I hope it continue to rise, but i'm keeping my eyes open.
    01-08-14 10:18 AM
    Thanks OMG! I'm going do my best to pull out at the right time, I might buy more before I do though when the cash flow comes again.
    OMGitworks likes this.
    01-08-14 10:21 AM
    Thanks OMG! I'm going do my best to pull out at the right time, I might buy more before I do though when the cash flow comes again.
    Your in a nice trade.
    Are you changing your mind now about "investing" from your previous long term outlook?

Lets do some quick math.
    Market cap of 4.51 billion.
    Lets say you could have that money at 2 % interest elsewhere in the market for a return of 90 million. So we will need to see a profit of around 23 million this quarter to make this stock decently priced.
    Hopefully they brought the costs down and wrote off the majority of stock and losses last quarter. And hopefully people keep buying phones in the 5 million units range. But lets face it nobody is buying BlackBerrys.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 12:10 PM
    Lets say you could have that money at 2 % interest elsewhere in the market for a return of 90 million.
    2%? Are we comparing to a CD at a bank or an equity investment? The S&P 500 index returned 30% last year. That's just from investing in the most common stock index fund.
    01-08-14 12:17 PM
    Your in a nice trade.
    Are you changing your mind now about "investing" from your previous long term outlook?

Lets do some quick math.
    Market cap of 4.51 billion.
    Lets say you could have that money at 2 % interest elsewhere in the market for a return of 90 million. So we will need to see a profit of around 23 million this quarter to make this stock decently priced.
    Hopefully they brought the costs down and wrote off the majority of stock and losses last quarter. And hopefully people keep buying phones in the 5 million units range. But lets face it nobody is buying BlackBerrys.

Posted via CB10
    Lool wow, can the investors just have their moment please? Before you start crashing the party again

1) the rise in share price has kinda proved(or shall I say added weight to) what was said before in terms of share price is more than the numbers, BlackBerry released poor as expected (if not worse than expected for some) financials and yet the share price rose, BlackBerry sued a company (which doesn't directly give them revenue, in fact it incurs costs until they win and the share price rose again.. see beyond the numbers

2) I think what you've predicted is quite generous and that's coming from me, unless it's not a prediction you're just again what would happen in order for the stocks to be valued but you don't think that's what's going to happen, as it keeps being repeated long haul, recovery doesn't take a quarter, when the marketing ball rolls then the quarter or two after that we can start talking big money,

3) "hopefully people keep buying" instantly followed by "nobodies buying"... ummmm

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Otech#CB likes this.
    01-08-14 12:26 PM
    Well said Tino! I'm expecting it to continue. It might be a little bumpy, but it should keep going to its respectful value.

Here's some food for thought about future plans, and what direction they may be heading in.

Read about it @ BerryFlow
    http://berryflow.com/blackberry-jaka...rging-markets/
    Just bought my first set of BBRY Shares!-roger_cheng_cnet.png
    01-08-14 12:38 PM
    2%? Are we comparing to a CD at a bank or an equity investment? The S&P 500 index returned 30% last year. That's just from investing in the most common stock index fund.
    Ok 30%

$1.35 billion annual
    Or $338 million per quarter.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 02:09 PM
    Otech#CB, don't make the mistake I did. Set stops so you can't lose it all.
    Otech#CB likes this.
    01-10-14 03:49 PM
    Otech#CB, don't make the mistake I did. Set stops so you can't lose it all.
    I will definitely do that. Thanks for the heads up!
    01-10-14 09:53 PM
    I too, got my very first BlackBerry device Z10 week ago

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 10:10 PM
    I too, got my very first BlackBerry device Z10 week ago

Posted via CB10

Congrats Corden Very happy to hear that, and I hope you're very satisfied with your purchase. Don't be afraid to install leaks, if you haven't already.
    01-14-14 02:30 AM
    01-17-14 12:40 PM
    Was just about to post that. Good job Tino!
    01-17-14 12:49 PM
    Look BlackBerry has intrinsic value. Nice sales pitch, time to sell.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 03:54 PM
    Look BlackBerry has intrinsic value. Nice sales pitch, time to sell.

Posted via CB10
    What do you mean it's time to sell?
    01-17-14 04:20 PM
    Sounds like a sales pitch to retail investors. Yeah, BlackBerry has value, less now then when it attempted to sell itself at this price 3 months ago. If I owned the stock now I would be selling, maybe after the os 10.2.1 release. I remember hearing somewhere about 4 quarters of losses coming......

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 04:42 PM
    That's definitely not true! It's only a good time to sell if you think they won't rise any more.
    01-17-14 05:09 PM
    I bought on 12/6 at 5.93US. I'm feeling very good. My exit strategy is sell 1/2 of my position at $14 to $18 and finally buy a Z30 and going long on the rest. Mr. Chen and Mr. Watsa are winners. I'm staying with it as long as they do.
    Otech#CB likes this.
    01-17-14 11:53 PM
536 ... 19202122