View Poll Results: Is this smart investing?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 31.71%
  • No

28 68.29%
    those of you who were in it for the short term, feel like jumping ship now ? Those of us in it for the long term woohoo, signs of the beginning dont be shy 'realists'
    12-20-13 10:16 AM
    those of you who were in it for the short term, feel like jumping ship now ? Those of us in it for the long term woohoo, signs of the beginning dont be shy 'realists'
    The beginning of what?

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 10:18 AM
    Erm.. Recovery ?
    12-20-13 10:20 AM
    Erm.. Recovery ?
    Did you read the earnings release?

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 10:20 AM
    As a "realist," my take is that the Foxconn partnership is the beginning of great things. It shows that a major manufacturer has faith in BB. Chen is making things happen and not relying on vague buzzwords like Heins did. I wish more had been said about future high end phones because that's what I'm after, but I can be patient. I'm still hesitant to get back into the stock game, but I think this is a great day for the longs at the very least.
    12-20-13 10:52 AM
    Did you read the earnings release?

Posted via CB10
    Did you? Or just the 4.4 and missed the rest?

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    12-20-13 10:59 AM
    I caught the parts about large revenue decline, further sals decline, another larger inventory write down. Dismal BB10 sales. Costs remaining about the same as last quarter, and now on an adjusted basis pretty much even with revenue. A larger operating loss than last quarter, further cash decline. Debt that will need to be serviced. And non transparent BBM numbers.

Did i miss anything?

This is way worse than i expected. You will hear more about it when the short cover is over and reloaded.

******* disaster

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 11:23 AM
    They may still have $3.2B, but they also have $1B in debt.
    12-20-13 11:35 AM
    I caught the parts about large revenue decline, further sals decline, another larger inventory write down. Dismal BB10 sales. Costs remaining about the same as last quarter, and now on an adjusted basis pretty much even with revenue. A larger operating loss than last quarter, further cash decline. Debt that will need to be serviced. And non transparent BBM numbers.

Did i miss anything?

This is way worse than i expected. You will hear more about it when the short cover is over and reloaded.

******* disaster

Posted via CB10
    And somehow you missed;

Hardware deal with a new low end device

"Non transparent bbm numbers" of 60 million users

This wasn't in the earnings but the new bbm beta? Phenomnianl, PTT, bigger groups, things that we've been asking for. Things that solidify bbm growth

Chen has outlined his plan(to some extent) all those numbers there's little that could be done, I expected worse tbh, no marketing yet bb10 phones still being sold

Hope you're watching the stocks reaction to his plan, I know you're big on numbers

Chens broken down BlackBerry to four parts

Devices - Foxconn
    Enterprise software- develop a sales force that will target gov angences, banks, helathcare etc
    BlackBerry Messenger- 60% of users using bbm DAILY is that transparent enough for you? Compare to Instagram)50%) also data shows bbm users using the app for longer (avg 90 minutes a day)
    QNX and machine-to-machine- this is where he hinted that he wanted things to spread beyond BlackBerry (iPhone android)

I'm not disputing the bad numbers, but like I said, little could be done to change those, it's like the first quarter of a new government it takes time, look at the things pointing forward not back...

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Otech#CB and notafanboy like this.
    12-20-13 11:42 AM
    The BBM is certainly good. Now to get it monetized.
    The 1.1 M BB10 sales is horrific.
    techvisor likes this.
    12-20-13 11:44 AM
    The BBM is certainly good. Now to get it monetized.
    The 1.1 M BB10 sales is horrific.

Lol yeah legacy outselling bb10 is a big big problem, need to ease the transition, market!

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    m1a1mg and Otech#CB like this.
    12-20-13 11:49 AM
    I didn't see the 60 million, i saw 40 million android and ios users but didn't see them release BlackBerry users, did they say that in the confrince call?

The problem with ignoring the financials is they are indicating revenue will not even meet costs. That is a dissaster, and one that at this current rate leaves little time for hope.

In operations along they are burning around 20 percent of cash per quarter. Not to mention write downs. Its bad

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 01:54 PM
    I didn't see the 60 million, i saw 40 million android and ios users but didn't see them release BlackBerry users, did they say that in the confrince call?

The problem with ignoring the financials is they are indicating revenue will not even meet costs. That is a dissaster, and one that at this current rate leaves little time for hope.

In operations along they are burning around 20 percent of cash per quarter. Not to mention write downs. Its bad

Posted via CB10
    to be honest...BlackBerry BBM users number are declining...from past quarter tells you they lose BB subscribers base more and more than gaining new users...

their financial report are bad as people expected, but the main thing is BB find a new hope for their company survival...

it still just a plan without knowing the result, it still long time before BB investors know are they make a good decision or not....but investors are in better place than past 1 or 2 quarters before...

i think it's a good deal for BB if they want to focus in indonesian market...because there are some rumours indonesian government will significantly increase taxes for import mobile phone...BB phone made in indonesia will have a good head start than other competitors especially in price sensitive market like indonesia
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-20-13 07:50 PM
    And somehow you missed;

Hardware deal with a new low end device

"Non transparent bbm numbers" of 60 million users

This wasn't in the earnings but the new bbm beta? Phenomnianl, PTT, bigger groups, things that we've been asking for. Things that solidify bbm growth

Chen has outlined his plan(to some extent) all those numbers there's little that could be done, I expected worse tbh, no marketing yet bb10 phones still being sold

Hope you're watching the stocks reaction to his plan, I know you're big on numbers

Chens broken down BlackBerry to four parts

Devices - Foxconn
    Enterprise software- develop a sales force that will target gov angences, banks, helathcare etc
    BlackBerry Messenger- 60% of users using bbm DAILY is that transparent enough for you? Compare to Instagram)50%) also data shows bbm users using the app for longer (avg 90 minutes a day)
    QNX and machine-to-machine- this is where he hinted that he wanted things to spread beyond BlackBerry (iPhone android)

I'm not disputing the bad numbers, but like I said, little could be done to change those, it's like the first quarter of a new government it takes time, look at the things pointing forward not back...

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    I mean, didn't they say it was going to get lower?? I expected a drop as well. But what I read was very positive...not ignoring the drops. I'm still very optimistic about this. I don't know how everyone can continue to be pessimistic even after the market's reaction. Still not getting it.

And thanks for that Tino.
    12-22-13 07:13 PM
    The storm clouds are back again trying to rain yet again. I was very happy with ER and CC to where I bought more shares at $6.10 and went to sleep and when I woke up the sp was over $7. It's obvious BlackBerry is grossly undervalued. Some here will kick and scream as bbry goes higher.

Posted via CB10
    Otech#CB likes this.
    12-22-13 07:40 PM
    I mean, didn't they say it was going to get lower?? I expected a drop as well. But what I read was very positive...not ignoring the drops. I'm still very optimistic about this. I don't know how everyone can continue to be pessimistic even after the market's reaction. Still not getting it.

And thanks for that Tino.
    stock price going up because there are lot of hype and hope, same thing happen when BBRY launch BB10. John chen sure announce a lot change on BBRY from their management target market, focus, hardware production and inventory....it create optimism for BBRY survival but we still need to see the result....

besides BBRY revenue + hardware sales are very low last quarter plus BBOS still outselling BB10 even if they already cut some BB10 phone prices..it something to consider for many investors
    techvisor likes this.
    12-22-13 09:27 PM
    You people realize that BB10 is officially a business failure right? This means that revenue will continue to decline and there is no other revenue to take over for the hardware and services right? These earnings are brutal, it makes last quarter look like gold. So please tell me how the stock will continue upwards in this senerio, and tell me again how it traded up because there is now hope? Lmao

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    12-22-13 11:10 PM
    Those that are short and clueless will continue to hold short while bbry will continue to go higher. Some here will kick and scream but the sp is heading higher. I would be worried to if I knew that a phone call from the broker can happen at any time. How many shorts shorted the sure thing ER drop? Think tens of millions of shares. It was short common knowledge and the MM created a MONSTER Short trap. Get it now shorty shorts?

Posted via CB10
    Otech#CB likes this.
    12-22-13 11:26 PM
    Those that are short and clueless will continue to hold short while bbry will continue to go higher. Some here will kick and scream but the sp is heading higher. I would be worried to if I knew that a phone call from the broker can happen at any time. How many shorts shorted the sure thing ER drop? Think tens of millions of shares. It was short common knowledge and the MM created a MONSTER Short trap. Get it now shorty shorts?

Posted via CB10
    At least you realize that the stock is moving on buy covering. Won't be long before the rug is pulled and all the hope evaporates into reality though. Good luck with that.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    12-23-13 08:14 AM
    Very likely, approximately 50% of the millions of shares traded were shorted. Interactive Charts
    12-23-13 08:23 AM
    At least you realize that the stock is moving on buy covering. Won't be long before the rug is pulled and all the hope evaporates into reality though. Good luck with that.

Posted via CB10
    The new short numbers will be very interesting. If 50% managed to get out and they only pushed the price up a buck, that doesn't bode well for BBRY. If the shorts stayed put and and the buying was new money, that is a very good sign of stabilization for BBRY. I think the short numbers went down some,but perhaps some new shorts were put on at 7, but we shall see.........

EDIT: Dan was posting as I was, so I did not see his post and link. My opinion remains the same for better or worse.....
    techvisor likes this.
    12-23-13 08:24 AM
    http://berryflow.com/ex-blackberry-c...es-26-million/

That's what I'm talking about. I hope my boy makes good use of that money. 26 million in shares has been sold by Mike L.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Otech#CB; 12-24-13 at 05:34 PM.
    12-24-13 05:23 PM
    Looks like the one with the business sense was basillie. Nothing against Mike, did a lot of good things and deserves that money. Im sure whatever he has plans to do with the cash it will be well spent.

Mike Lazaridis | Quantum Valley Investments | Quantum Valley

In March 2013, Mike Lazaridis and Doug Fregin established the Quantum Valley Investment Fund in Waterloo, Canada, to provide financial and intellectual capital for the development and commercialization of quantum physics and quantum computing breakthroughs. The initial size of the fund, which is backed by Messrs. Lazaridis and Fregin, is $100 million.

For more than a decade, Messrs. Lazaridis and Fregin have worked to bring together in Waterloo the best and brightest minds from around the world in physics, engineering, mathematics, computer science and materials science to collaborate on cutting-edge quantum research. The Quantum Valley Investment Fund is designed to provide the financial and intellectual capital needed to transform ideas and early-stage breakthroughs into commercially viable products, technologies and services.

?The technologies that are being developed in Waterloo will shape the 21st Century even more than the digital revolution changed the world in the 20th Century,? Mr. Lazaridis said. ?And just as the discoveries and innovations at Bell Labs led to the companies that created Silicon Valley, so will the discoveries and innovations at research centers in Waterloo transform the region into an area known as ?The Quantum Valley.??

Mr. Lazaridis is not alone in his belief that work being undertaken on quantum technologies in Waterloo will have a wide-ranging impact. During the dedication in fall 2012 of the new Quantum-Nano Centre at the University of Waterloo, funded by Michael and Ophelia Lazaridis, Stephen Hawking said, ?This institution will advance our understanding of matter and movement, illuminating deep mysteries with the light of scientific discovery.? Dr. Hawking is the Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge University, a position first held by Sir Isaac Newton, and regarded as the leading theoretical physicist of our time.

In addition to founding the Quantum-Nano Centre, Mr. Lazaridis established in 2000 the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics (PI), where he serves as Board Chair. PI has been widely recognized as a leading international centre for Physics research, training and outreach. His efforts have also helped generate important private and public sector funding in support of the Institute. Mr. Lazaridis also founded The Institute for Quantum Computing (IQC) at the University of Waterloo. He has donated more than $170 million to Perimeter, and more than $100 million to IQC.

In 1984, Messrs.Lazaridis and Fregin co-founded BlackBerry (formerly Research In Motion). They invented the BlackBerry device, created the smart phone industry, and built Canada?s largest global tech business. Mr. Lazaridis served in various positions including�Co-Chairman and Co-CEO of RIM from 1984 to 2012 and Board Vice Chair and Chair of the Innovation Committee from 2012 to May 1st, 2013. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada, and has been named to both the Order of Ontario and Order of Canada. He was awarded Canada?s most prestigious innovation prize?the Ernest C. Manning Principal Award?listed on Maclean?s Honour Roll as a distinguished Canadian in 2000 after opening Perimeter, named as one of TIME?s 100 Most Influential People, and honored as a Globe and Mail Nation-Builder of the Year.

Mr. Lazaridis holds honorary doctoral degree in Engineering from the University of Waterloo (where he formerly served as Chancellor), as well as a doctor of Laws McMaster University, University of Windsor and Universit� Laval. In addition to his many professional and personal accomplishments, Mr. Lazaridis also won an Academy Award and an Emmy Award for technical achievements in the movie and TV industries for developing a high-speed bar-code reader that greatly increased the speed of editing film.

Mr. Lazaridis was born in Istanbul, Turkey. He and his family moved to Canada in 1966, settling in Windsor, Ontario. At age 12, he won a prize at the Windsor Public Library for reading every science book in the library. In 1979, he enrolled at the University of Waterloo to study electrical engineering. During his last year at university, he co-founded RIM.

Posted via CB10
    Otech#CB likes this.
    12-24-13 07:07 PM
    Mike has been involved in some interesting stuff happening around waterloo

New $5 million lab to grow building blocks of quantum devices

Thursday, December 12, 2013
    University of Waterloo scientists hope unconventional research will bring them closer to the development of a quantum computer

A first-of-its-kind, world-class laboratory that could lead to the creation of quantum materials for use in a new generation of technologies opened at the University of Waterloo?s Institute for Quantum Computing (IQC) today.

Quantum materials are needed as the building blocks of robust quantum devices that will be able to function outside of laboratory settings bringing the possibility of a quantum computer one step closer.

?New materials are not conventional, so we need to take an unconventional approach to this research,? said Professor David Cory, Canada Excellence Research Chair in Quantum Information Processing. ?The Institute for Quantum Computing has made a significant investment in quantum materials science and the most promising direction for building quantum devices is quantum materials.?

The lab houses a unique new $5 million tool to grow new materials that could form the building blocks of quantum technologies.

The tool, built by Omicron Instruments, features an ultra-high vacuum, multi-chamber design to grow high-quality thin films and layered structures. Thin film structures are at the heart of today?s electronics from computer chips to micro sensors.

The unique aspect of the new tool is the range of materials that can be grown within it ? from oxides and metals to superconductors and topological insulators ? a novel type of material exhibiting unique quantum behaviour. In typical deposition systems, magnetic materials are kept away from superconductors and topological insulators are separated from both magnets and superconductors. The new tool features molecular beam epitaxy and sputtering methods to grow the materials and researchers hope that this new regime will provide a new direction for the development of quantum materials.

?The Institute for Quantum Computing is proud to be the home of world-leading research,? said Professor Raymond Laflamme, executive director of IQC. ?David Cory?s work in quantum materials, and the research of his colleagues here at IQC, is advancing our understanding of quantum information and its importance in the next generation of technology.?

This new lab further extends Professor Cory?s research program, which now totals over $40 million, and is an essential tool for fellow IQC Professor Guo-Xing Miao?s research on quantum materials and spintronics.

"Quantum science will shape the future of technology,? said Feridun Hamdullahpur, president and vice-chancellor of Waterloo. ?The activities happening here at the University of Waterloo and the Institute for Quantum Computing, including Professor Cory's new lab,�builds on our international presence for research excellence and we expect that the results will be an important step in building a pathway to the quantum world.?

The Government of Canada, Canada Foundation for Innovation, the Ontario Research Fund, industry partners and others helped fund the new lab.

"Our Government funds programs such as the Canada Excellence Research Chairs to break new ground in strategic areas of importance to Canadians," said Harold Albrecht, Member of Parliament for Kitchener-Conestoga. "Discoveries being made at global centres of excellence like Dr. David Cory?s lab here at the University of Waterloo, strengthen Canada?s overall research capacity. This creates new jobs and positions Canada at the cutting edge of innovation."

Posted via CB10
    Otech#CB likes this.
    12-24-13 07:13 PM
    Zee3p0, I may not agree with much of what you say, but I do want to thank you for posting this. It is stuff like that this that shows why tech and science comes to the region. Truly leading edge stuff.
    12-24-13 07:53 PM
536 ... 1819202122