View Poll Results: Is this smart investing?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 31.71%
  • No

28 68.29%
    Your joking right? I guess you haven't read about twitter being under investigation by the SEC. Twitter is dead, another financial market business scam. At least with BlackBerry you have value. Oh and twitters crackerjack patent fiasco, lmao

Posted via CB10
    I would bet on Twitter anyday
    12-10-13 05:13 AM
    At least with BlackBerry you have value.
    The only value in BlackBerry right now is break up value. That is the best deal for the shareholders.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-10-13 05:16 AM
    Lol well then, it's a good thing BBM is able to show the number of active users then
    Oh good, do you have a link to that information?
    JeepBB and OMGitworks like this.
    12-10-13 07:04 AM
    Your joking right? I guess you haven't read about twitter being under investigation by the SEC. Twitter is dead, another financial market business scam. At least with BlackBerry you have value. Oh and twitters crackerjack patent fiasco, lmao
    I just searched the news for Twitter, and there is some info about the SEC asking Twitter questions PRIOR to their IPO, but nothing current. What's up with Twitter that I'm missing?
    12-10-13 07:06 AM
    I just searched the news for Twitter, and there is some info about the SEC asking Twitter questions PRIOR to their IPO, but nothing current. What's up with Twitter that I'm missing?
    Yes, prior to the ipo, not current. ( that we know of the sec doesn't disclose current investigations)

With transparency like the company tried to push below and a giddy valuation its pretty clear who made the money on this one.

U.S. securities regulators questioned an early version of Twitter's initial public offering prospectus that claimed the social media company was becoming more profitable when it was actually losing increasing amounts of money.
    That and other tidbits were revealed in regulatory filings made by the company on Friday that show the back-and-forth with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission as the company approached its IPO on Nov. 7.
    Twitter first submitted its IPO prospectus to the SEC on July 12, exactly two months before it publically acknowledged the filing and its IPO plans. The document was provided confidentially for review, and the company's claim about profitability was quickly questioned by the SEC.
    "We note your statement that you 'have experienced significant improvements in [your] operating results in recent periods.' Please revise this disclosure to address the fact that your net loss in the first quarter of 2013 was larger than the same period in 2012 and the two quarters immediately preceding it," the SEC instructed Twitter on Aug. 8.
    Twitter's financial statement showed the company recorded a net loss of $79 million in 2012 and had already lost $69 million in the first six months of 2013. Two months later, it would revise the prospectus to show losses of $134 million for the first nine months of the year.
    Twitter decided to highlight revenue growth rather than increasing losses and replied to the SEC that it "has revised the disclosure on page 2 to clarify that it has experienced rapid growth in its revenue, rather than significant improvements in its operating results, in recent periods."

Mark Zuckerberg

"[Twitter is] such a mess, it?s as if they drove a clown car into a gold mine and fell in."

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 09:08 AM
    Based on that, I'm not sure where you get calling Twitter a "fraud".
    chr1sny likes this.
    12-10-13 09:10 AM
    Based on that, I'm not sure where you get calling Twitter a "fraud".
    Sorry, attempted fraud. Its the banks that commit the actual fraud.

Disclaimer : it should not be assumed that these statements imply that any sort of fraud exisits has been committed or will in the future in respect to any parties mentioned above. It is the sole opinion of the original poster based on hearsey.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 09:41 AM
    134 million in losses and the company is valued at 28 billion dollars?

Analysts ranking it a strong buy.

168 million, yes "million" in revenue.

9 patents, yes 9

Yeah. Thats not a scam.

Posted via CB10
    Otech#CB likes this.
    12-10-13 10:20 AM
    They could've made an offer on BlackBerry with that money. Instead they wanted an app that they can easily recreate. That's the thing I personally don't get. Investment plans are so against BlackBerry, but they support apps and such tiny purchases. What would the purchase of snapchat benefit you, the user? Nothing. You wouldn't benefit. Instead you're going to get what instagram got. Its not a big step up compared to BBM Channels and the potential it has as a whole when combined with BlackBerry...for $1.7 Billion more than snapchat got an offer for...weird investments.
    They are buying users, momentum and a brand, all things BBRY does NOT have going for it at this time. Do you really think that they worry about what the user is going to get out of the deal. You need to start understanding how big boy and girl business works.
    12-10-13 10:28 AM

Disclaimer : it should not be assumed that these statements imply that any sort of fraud exisits has been committed or will in the future in respect to any parties mentioned above. It is the sole opinion of the original poster based on hearsey.

Posted via CB10
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but many, many people completely disagree with you, including very sophisticated investors and accounting firms. You should short the heck out of Twitter and make a killing, but I suspect you will be on the losing end of that trade.
    12-10-13 10:30 AM
    This morning, I decided I was going to make my first investment in BBRY stocks. I bought 165 shares @ $6.49/share.

I have faith in BlackBerry and John Chen's movement, looking to invest more soon.

Bid confidently,
    Here we are, one day away from it being exactly one month from your first purchase of BBRY shares and your original investment of 165 shares at $6.49 each, which cost you at least $1070 is now worth $910 or $5.52 per share at this exact moment.

In less than a month, the stock has almost dropped a buck per share. If you had waited a few weeks, you could have bought the same amount of shares and would of had almost enough change left over to buy a Z10.

Ouch.
    12-10-13 10:47 AM
    Here we are, one day away from it being exactly one month from your first purchase of BBRY shares and your original investment of 165 shares at $6.49 each, which cost you at least $1070 is now worth $910 or $5.52 per share at this exact moment.

In less than a month, the stock has almost dropped a buck per share. If you had waited a few weeks, you could have bought the same amount of shares and would of had almost enough change left over to buy a Z10.

Ouch.
    People still not understanding the definition of long-term

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    12-10-13 10:54 AM
    Agreed.... of course the odds that there will be a stock with the BBRY name attached to it in the long-term is a LONG shot. Of course that is why you have the potential of a huge gain if BBRY manages to find someway to become profitable again.

We reached 25 months with the "I support BBRY...." thread... that to me is a long time to watch my investment go lower, and lower, back up, back up, then lower, and lower, and lower...... I'd be a nervous wreak of it were me.
    12-10-13 11:09 AM
    Agreed.... of course the odds that there will be a stock with the BBRY name attached to it in the long-term is a LONG shot. Of course that is why you have the potential of a huge gain if BBRY manages to find someway to become profitable again.

We reached 25 months with the "I support BBRY...." thread... that to me is a long time to watch my investment go lower, and lower, back up, back up, then lower, and lower, and lower...... I'd be a nervous wreak of it were me.
    Yup, it's not for everybody that's for sure, really good things never are otherwise everyone would be successful, but some people can't handle the journey even though that's all its about

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    12-10-13 11:11 AM
    134 million in losses and the company is valued at 28 billion dollars?

Analysts ranking it a strong buy.

168 million, yes "million" in revenue.

9 patents, yes 9

Yeah. Thats not a scam.

Posted via CB10
    You may not like it. You may not even approve of it. But a lot of people invested in Twitter based on the future, not the present. If Twitter can't monetize their service, BBM is screwed.
    chr1sny and JeepBB like this.
    12-10-13 11:17 AM

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Oh, we understand long-term. We're also smart enough to know: buy low. As in almost $1 less per share. That's what a smart long would do.

EDIT: By the way, you have those numbers for active users yet for BBM? You said they were available.
    chr1sny, Saiga and JeepBB like this.
    12-10-13 11:19 AM

Posted via CB10
    Remember when I said BBRY longs have to resort to hyperbole to support their defensive tendencies? First OP said it was fraud, now its "attempted fraud".
    12-10-13 11:24 AM
    I bought some twitter shares.

it has firehose, it is tied with TV, it is tied with politics. I think as long as the tech bubble is going on strong, it will grow. there is nothing like it out there that gauges the pulse of the nation.

the pre-IPO and corporate shenanigans, SEC investigations, etc. are to be expected. The founder may not be a very nice person. But, as long as everything is settled and people are made whole, it will be water under the bridge.

Speaking of securities investigations, lets not forget it was our own Jim and Mike who tried to steal 250MM from us the shareholders. That did not make RIM a scam...
    12-10-13 11:42 AM
    Yup, it's not for everybody that's for sure, really good things never are otherwise everyone would be successful, but some people can't handle the journey even though that's all its about
    I'd much rather sink $1000 into taking a Cruise with my wife..... I would enjoy that journey, and that is what it is all about
    Saiga, pantlesspenguin and JeepBB like this.
    12-10-13 11:42 AM
    Let's say I bought some BBRY stock at its peak because I read press releases that told it was good company and now its only worth 3% of what I paid for it. Now that would be a fraud if anything is. I think even Madoff victims get more than that back.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-10-13 11:57 AM

Ouch.

Well that didn't stop me from buying 2 New Z10s at $199 per, for my Mom and Dad. And on top of that it went up to 6.40 before it dropped again....I'm waiting to get a Z30. And this 189 Share which I have will stay until it goes up as I am predicting.
    Last edited by Otech#CB; 12-10-13 at 01:19 PM.
    12-10-13 11:57 AM
    They are buying users, momentum and a brand, all things BBRY does NOT have going for it at this time. Do you really think that they worry about what the user is going to get out of the deal. You need to start understanding how big boy and girl business works.
    Twitter was considering selling its info gathered from all the tweets (private information to some people) to marketing firms and all that just so they can make money. All those people who love twitter and think it is a great site to send out those short messages....and those investors weren't really investing for the good of the people...only for the good of themselves. Yet you people seem to be so offended at how some of us look at twitter. Instead they went public....that money went straight to the Big investors you speak of. They didn't go guy from the stock market... in other words, yea it is a scam. And only some people made money. The smart ones. BlackBerry on the other hand, is low and is still put customers ahead, and they haven't given up. And all I hear is **** talk...You guys like to think as if you're one of the big boys and girls... I beg to differ. The big boys drop loads...I don't think anyone can afford that big of an investment. And Snapchat, is a good buy, but I don't see it being as valuable as BBM Channels....60+ Million Active BB users. 20+ Million Active BBM users on Android and iOS. How is that not a big enough number. SnapChat isn't active enough, and all it is is sending videos, pictures, with a small message. How would this app help Facebook? What is your plan? How could they monetize SnapChat and not annoy current users? I just don't see it being as easy as BBM.
    12-10-13 12:06 PM
    John Chen didn't even announce any movement. how could you have faith in him?
    12-10-13 12:09 PM
    Well that didn't stop me from buying 2 New Z10s at $199 per, my Mom and Dad. And on top of that it went up to 6.40 before it dropped again....I'm waiting to get a Z30. And this 189 Share which I have will stay until it goes up as I am predicting.
    I genuinely hope it works out for you!
    12-10-13 12:17 PM
    I genuinely hope it works out for you!
    I genuinely hope it does not work out for you. Please allow me to explain. Right now, the majority of young stock investors are closing out 2013 thinking that they are good investors because the value of their portfolios has gone up 20% or so. Like most young investors, they won't be spending these gains, rather, they will put them back in to their increasing portfolios. It's typically of how bubbles form. When the inevitable correction happens, they will suffer much large losses.

You, on the other hand, are learning the same lesson about stocks even with just a couple hundred shares. You will be much better prepared for the inevitable down market.
    12-10-13 12:34 PM
536 ... 1213141516 ...