View Poll Results: Is this smart investing?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 31.71%
  • No

28 68.29%
    They're in a down swing of a transition. Point being they don't know what their plans are going to be in order to make money moving forward, they're burning massive amounts of cash at the moment, they have yet to hit rock bottom from this BB10 launch endeavor.

there are going to be countless stories coming out over the next 4-6 months detailing their massive layoffs, and they are guaranteed to be losing money in the upcoming quarters.

The stock can still drop a lot.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    11-19-13 09:39 AM
    They're in a down swing of a transition. Point being they don't know what their plans are going to be in order to make money moving forward, they're burning massive amounts of cash at the moment, they have yet to hit rock bottom from this BB10 launch endeavor.

there are going to be countless stories coming out over the next 4-6 months detailing their massive layoffs, and they are guaranteed to be losing money in the upcoming quarters.

The stock can still drop a lot.

Posted via CB10
    The stock will drop a lot. We all hope that it will climb back up, but there's no denying that it's a stupid move to be buying BBRY right now.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.1055 using CB10
    11-19-13 11:23 AM
    Amazing some people's concern for other people's money. I bought in yesterday a half position at $6.18. Too much negativity on a stock that's trading less then cash and assets. The company is being given away at these prices . When you see snapchat offered $3 b what will bbm be worth?

Posted via CB10
    Honestly, I bet you these guys have invested in stocks already and want to be the only ones or something. I'm going to buy two or three BlackBerry's and I'm still going to have my $1000 in BBRY. These guys speculate a very bad outcome, when there shouldn't be that type of speculation. This CEO is operating differently and every person in this dang thread knows that things are going to change. These announcements aren't BS. The new BlackBerry Z10 Porsche Designs just got announced. This news keeps coming day after day. And yet, they still think they're going to suffer major losses. Why don't you guys go out and buy some BlackBerry's and call it a day? We'll do the investing and risking. You guys seem like you're blind to the news, but experienced with stocks. If I don't invest in BlackBerry who should I invest in? Please tell us!

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 11:52 AM
    Did you read the news? BlackBerry decided to NOT accept any offers. I am one of these newbies asking how to open up an account to invest in BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Bro, some of these guys are ignorant. Just invest if you believe in the companies future success. You own a BlackBerry and love the company? Invest my man, do what makes you happy. These guys are jealous if anything and truly want the company to suffer. We aren't dragging no one but the believers. You guys can stay out of it. Don't try to influence others in letting the company fail when it's goal is to succeed. You are negative, negative, negative. Idc about your hopes, Idc for your opinions. I'm an investor, im going to invest my money in BlackBerry. That's what anyone should do if they are interested. Just ignore all these guys claiming that we're trying to drag them in. You guys are the ones who are filling my thread up with this Bull.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 12:07 PM
    Bro, some of these guys are ignorant. Just invest if you believe in the companies future success. You own a BlackBerry and love the company? Invest my man, do what makes you happy. These guys are jealous if anything and truly want the company to suffer. We aren't dragging no one but the believers. You guys can stay out of it. Don't try to influence others in letting the company fail when it's goal is to succeed. You are negative, negative, negative. Idc about your hopes, Idc for your opinions. I'm an investor, im going to invest my money in BlackBerry. That's what anyone should do if they are interested. Just ignore all these guys claiming that we're trying to drag them in. You guys are the ones who are filling my thread up with this Bull.

Posted via CB10
    No, not ignorant. Far from it. We're being realistic. You shouldn't be investing in a company because you believe in it and like it. You should be investing only if you have solid evidence that they will perform better and make you money. Because that is, or should be, ultimately the only reason you are investing.

Just because you like the company's products and like what it is doing doesn't mean everybody else will buy into this and start buying their products. BBRY stock is volatile, and as such, even seasoned investors, let alone newbies shouldn't be investing in the company, because you very likely will lose money.

There are better things to invest in that will earn you more money.

11-19-13 12:32 PM
    There's no guarantee in any stocks my friend but what you don't get is that we're not selling our houses or putting all our money into BlackBerry's stocks lol. I only want to buy a few hundred to a thousand dollars worth of shares... if I lose it all, it doesn't matter because it's only a small sum of money lol. I know that we shouldn't put all our eggs in one basket when it comes to investment you'd gotta diversify your portfolios. Some of you are so concerned with somebody else's money.

No, not ignorant. Far from it. We're being realistic. You shouldn't be investing in a company because you believe in it and like it. You should be investing only if you have solid evidence that they will perform better and make you money. Because that is, or should be, ultimately the only reason you are investing.

Just because you like the company's products and like what it is doing doesn't mean everybody else will buy into this and start buying their products. BBRY stock is volatile, and as such, even seasoned investors, let alone newbies shouldn't be investing in the company, because you very likely will lose money.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 12:49 PM
    hehhe

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 12:52 PM
    There's no guarantee in any stocks my friend but what you don't get is that we're not selling our houses or putting all our money into BlackBerry's stocks lol. I only want to buy a few hundred to a thousand dollars worth of shares... if I lose it all, it doesn't matter because it's only a small sum of money lol. I know that we shouldn't put all our eggs in one basket when it comes to investment you'd gotta diversify your portfolios. Some of you are so concerned with somebody else's money.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, well it's your loss. Just trying to be decent and save you a load of money (in my books, a grand is a lot of money).

11-19-13 12:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    Thank you, we aren't going to go broke for $1000-$3000 dollar. And we will not be homeless with only our BlackBerry's in hand. We simply want to see the company not give up. Which they aren't. And we wouldn't invest if we didn't think they stood a chance. Finally someone who understands.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 12:58 PM

Everyone in this thread says they're being realistic. There are people who have invested wayyyy more than what we have already invested or plan to invest. If everyone who wants to invest their chunk change in BlackBerry, let them. When they say they want to invest $1 million then get all crazy and try to save them from becoming homeless. This right here is bringing BlackBerry down in the stockmarket. People telling others not to invest a dollar. When the reason they keep going down is because people keep on hearing those words and they go invest their change somewhere else. Please stop! Just allow for people to invest their small/reasonable amounts confidently. Let us be happy? Let us help BlackBerry succeed because if they succeed and you're still out hear ranting the same stuff, Im going to make a thread dedicated to all the haters who didn't want us investing. But if the company flops, then I won't really cry over $1000 dollars. Because I haven't been to Vegas in about 3 years. Not to gamble at least. Haha

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 01:04 PM
    Everyone in this thread says they're being realistic. There are people who have invested wayyyy more than what we have already invested or plan to invest. If everyone who wants to invest their chunk change in BlackBerry, let them. When they say they want to invest $1 million then get all crazy and try to save them from becoming homeless. This right here is bringing BlackBerry down in the stockmarket. People telling others not to invest a dollar. When the reason they keep going down is because people keep on hearing those words and they go invest their change somewhere else. Please stop! Just allow for people to invest their small/reasonable amounts confidently. Let us be happy? Let us help BlackBerry succeed because if they succeed and you're still out hear ranting the same stuff, Im going to make a thread dedicated to all the haters who didn't want us investing. But if the company flops, then I won't really cry over $1000 dollars. Because I haven't been to Vegas in about 3 years. Not to gamble at least. Haha

Posted via CB10
    Just a suggestion but using paragraphs would be very helpful. Its hard to follow your stream of consciousness posts with their questions and odd comments about your personal life and business plans. Who really cares that you're a marketing major or that you think you're CEO material or have business plans?

In the end, the longs tend to have a hard time separating the notion of a good investment and a good company. I'm a pessimist but I admit that BBRY has some appealing features as a smartphone user. However, these features (mainly the QWERTY keyboard) may not be enough to keep the company financially viable in its current form and, thus, not a good investment.

This thread and the "I support Blackberry and buy shares" both seem to operate under the flawed premise that the purchase of BBRY stock supports the company. Most retail investors (e.g., you and me) are not benefiting the company by buying equities from a retail source. If you want to actually support the company you should buy their products. Short of investing in an IPO, I'm not sure how buying stock at the retail level helps BBRY other than making a symbolic gesture.

The conflation of these two concepts (i.e., buying stock and supporting the company) leads to posters constantly having to validate their beliefs about the company by defending BBRY stock as an investment.
    lnichols, m1a1mg and techvisor like this.
    11-19-13 01:25 PM
    Just a suggestion but could you please use paragraphs? It gets hard to follow your posts with their questions and weird side comments about your personal life and business plans.

In the end, the longs tend to have a hard time separating the notion of a good investment and a good company. I'm a pessimist but I admit that BBRY has some appealing features as a smartphone user. However, these features (mainly the QWERTY keyboard) may not be enough to keep the company financially viable in its current form and, thus, not a good investment.

However, this thread and the "I support Blackberry and buy shares" both seem to operate under the flawed premise that the purchase of BBRY stock supports the company. Most retail investors (e.g., you and me) are not benefiting the company by buying equities from a retail source. If you want to actually support the company you should buy their products. Short of investing in an IPO, I'm not sure how buying stock at the retail level helps BBRY other than making a symbolic gesture.

The conflation of these two concepts (i.e., buying stock and supporting the company) leads to posters constantly having to validate their beliefs about the company by defending BBRY stock as an investment.
    [In bold] Precisely. I sort of touched on that above, but you hit it head-on. Buying stocks gives the money to other investors. Buying BlackBerry's products gives the money directly to BlackBerry. Plus, if you buy the products, you'll have something to show for your support if BlackBerry ever bites the dust.

pantlesspenguin and techvisor like this.
    11-19-13 01:30 PM
    If i had 3 billion i would buy this company. Well, i might wait it out for 2 billion, but whichever way its a good deal. Although I'm not sure i could sell the parts on ebay but maybe. But i guess if i had 2 billion i could pay someone from the proceeds to sell it for me.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 01:34 PM
    Just a suggestion but using paragraphs would be very helpful. Its hard to follow your stream of consciousness posts with their questions and odd comments about your personal life and business plans. Who really cares that you're a marketing major or that you think you're CEO material or have business plans?

This thread and the "I support Blackberry and buy shares" both seem to operate under the flawed premise that the purchase of BBRY stock supports the company. Most retail investors (e.g., you and me) are not benefiting the company by buying equities from a retail source. If you want to actually support the company you should buy their products. Short of investing in an IPO, I'm not sure how buying stock at the retail level helps BBRY other than making a symbolic gesture.

I'm going to say one thing, troll. Shhhh. You just pop in here and post comments. You're following this whole thread, yet you've only posted 3 times. Get out, I don't need your suggestions.
    11-19-13 01:38 PM
    [In bold] Precisely. I sort of touched on that above, but you hit it head-on. Buying stocks gives the money to other investors. Buying BlackBerry's products gives the money directly to BlackBerry. Plus, if you buy the products, you'll have something to show for your support if BlackBerry ever bites the dust.
    I saw you touch on it above but I figured the point was worth explicitly repeating. In fact, even having to belabor the point makes me question the backgrounds and sophistication of some around here. I'm sure these individuals like to think of themselves as "prosumers" but I'd expect a prosumer to have at least a basic understanding of investing and business.
    11-19-13 01:38 PM

Sorry guys but I don't think individual investors are what are causing the stock value to drop.... and if you believe that to be the case, that is why you shouldn't be investing either.
    richardat likes this.
    11-19-13 01:40 PM
    I'm going to say one thing, troll. Shhhh. You just pop in here and post comments. You're following this whole thread, yet you've only posted 3 times. Get out, I don't need your suggestions.
    Always easier to call someone a troll than to substantively address opposing arguments and viewpoints.

Not exactly sure why you bring up how many times I posted in this thread as if that's relevant? How many times do I need to post in this thread in order not to be a troll?
    11-19-13 01:41 PM

I did say I am a fan of BlackBerry, and an avid user. I also said that I plan to buy two more BB10 phones to have operating, while I run my business. It isn't wrong to invest in a company whos products you actually own. Meaning I'm not solely doing it for a return on my investment. I'm doing it because I know their devices are competitive, and that does hold power. At least in the business world those who like Android, but cant live without a Berry. I always have to justify because you people don't get it.

Always easier to call someone a troll than to substantively address opposing arguments and viewpoints.
    There is your response troll.
    11-19-13 01:42 PM
    Sorry guys but I don't think individual investors are what are causing the stock value to drop.... and if you believe that to be the case, that is why you shouldn't be investing either.
    Yes but its easier to blame shorts, the media, etc. for bringing down the stock price than acknowledging/discussing the company's problems and its grim prospects for overcoming them.
    11-19-13 01:46 PM
    Yes but its easier to blame shorts, the media, etc. for bringing down the stock price than acknowledging/discussing the company's problems and its grim prospects for overcoming them.

Man, just quit while you're at it.

I think if you stop buy BlackBerry products, and stop talking about them whether positive or negative, then and only then will we overcome some of those drops in stock prices. Because you are over here acting like the media, talking about how they will not grow, they will not come back up. I DONT CARE! My money is my money, and I'm dropping it on BlackBerry. I'm going to keep going with my education, and my money will still be there. And you'll hopefully have disappeared from the world of BlackBerry and those who own them. Because as of now, I only see smart people buying BlackBerry's because they know their capabilities. You know their capabilities and talk crap. Everyone who doesn't buy BlackBerry is not fond of their capabilities. Please quit your negative rants. I am very educated, and I am very confident about my decisions.

Thank you for being a disrespectful troll,
    Omar Masri
    11-19-13 01:54 PM

I think if you stop buy BlackBerry products, and stop talking about them whether positive or negative, then and only then will we overcome some of those drops in stock prices. Because you are over here acting like the media, talking about how they will not grow, they will not come back up. I DONT CARE! My money is my money, and I'm dropping it on BlackBerry. I'm going to keep going with my education, and my money will still be there. And you'll hopefully have disappeared from the world of BlackBerry and those who own them. Because as of now, I only see smart people buying BlackBerry's because they know their capabilities. You know their capabilities and talk crap. Everyone who doesn't buy BlackBerry is not fond of their capabilities. Please quit your negative rants. I am very educated, and I am very confident about my decisions.

Omar Masri
    I don't doubt that smart people buy blackberries just like I know smart people choose not to. No one's telling you what you should or shouldn't do, we're just all having a discussion. Your posts here convey the message that BBRY is a good investment for new buyers (of BBRY stock at least). Some, like myself, disagree and choose to post about why. Not sure why you feel so entitled to throw the troll word around.
    techvisor and richardat like this.
    11-19-13 02:06 PM
    This morning, I decided I was going to make my first investment in BBRY stocks. I bought 165 shares @ $6.49/share.
    At this very moment, you have 165 shares @ $6.03. Not so great for your first week.
    techvisor and Saiga like this.
    11-19-13 02:29 PM
    Because you are what you are. Read each of your replies. You want to act like a mature grown man now that you've been offended by the term.

Smart people aren't those who buy BlackBerry's and sit and talk about how the company will fail. You are not correct. If you buy a BlackBerry, you shouldn't think they will fail. Why are you still buying their products if you think they will not be operating at any moment? If they are still operating one or two years from now, they will be doing so successfully, not just staying on the edge of losing. They are still in existence for a reason. iPhones and Android can't delete them from existence with all the money they have. And that was with all the news we weren't getting about the company's plans, and even with the negative talk about going private and all that.

I am done going back and forth with someone who is by choice being negative. Stay pessimistic, my friend!
    11-19-13 02:33 PM

Omar Masri
    it's a discussion. It's great you support BBRY and think the stock will go up. Much of what you post flies in the face of tried and true investment advice. That's normal some of the best investment education I ever got was on losing trades. That is OK - it may well make you money but you really should be more hesitant to call people trolls just because they don't share you extremely optimistic viewpoints. It is good you are confident but there is a finer line between confident and hubris.

Here are some investment "rules" you may want to keep in mind.

A stock that has gone much lower can always go much lower.
    A stock is "worth" what it is trading for. There is no hidden value, Mr. Market knows all and adjusts the stock price accordingly.
    Emotion is the worst enemy of solid investing.
    Timing the market is almost impossible to do. Most Pros don't even try to do it.
    As smart, knowledgeable or great we all think we are, the big boys are smarter, have more information and more money. The stock market is not a level playing field.

These are but a few axioms, hopefully you will at least consider the other side of the coin here or I guarantee you will be doomed to failure if you don't. Not just in this, but it life.
    11-19-13 02:34 PM
    At this very moment, you have 165 shares @ $6.03. Not so great for your first week.
    I think I know that. Should I pull out while I still can?!
    How are they going to look in year 1 or year 2?
    11-19-13 02:40 PM
536 ... 34567 ...