Quarterly results are next Friday. While there will be some focus on the rate of user attrition, the market will be focused on the future in an attempt to determine when we may see revenue and profit turn the corner. I think John should take a page out of Bezos book and razzle dazzle the street by bringing forward a new big idea. A deal with China Telecom would do it, and if anyone can make this happen it is Mr. Chen:

Chen, who was born in Hong Kong, was a member of the President's Export Council, the U.S. government's principal advisory group on international trade. He has testified before the U.S. Congress on U.S.?China trade relations and Forbes included him in a list of 25 notable Chinese-Americans.

Posted via CB10
    The Big Picture likes this.
    03-13-14 10:05 AM
    How will this help BBRY?
    03-14-14 11:13 AM
    Maybe that China Telecom is not the carrier of choice.

China Telecom Customer Base Shrinks As 4G Lures Customers to Rival Network

There is a huge potential that is for sure. They would need to have FoxConn in their corner on this initiative.
    03-14-14 11:22 AM
    Do you suppose the Chinese Government is going to be excited about BlackBerry coming to China? The unbreakable phone that even the NSA cannot get into?

Would be interesting...
    03-21-14 03:28 PM
    Do you suppose the Chinese Government is going to be excited about BlackBerry coming to China? The unbreakable phone that even the NSA cannot get into?
    First of all, don't assume the NSA can't get into them. Second, without BES, which none or almost none of those potential buyers will have, there would be no high-end security to be concerned with.

But the vast majority of Chinese customers are buying locally-made Android phones that can cost as little as half or less of what the Z3 is likely to sell for. And it would cost tens or hundreds of millions just to build infrastructure to sell phones in China, and THEN you'd need to advertise. Given that the current BB market is virtually zero, I don't see China as a great place for a company in BB's financial position to be. They simply can't afford to enter China right now.
    03-21-14 04:11 PM
    First of all, don't assume the NSA can't get into them.
    Why shouldn't we assume this?

They seem quite forthcoming about the platforms they have full access to and I haven't seen BlackBerry on the list?

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 06:04 PM
    First of all, don't assume the NSA can't get into them. Second, without BES, which none or almost none of those potential buyers will have, there would be no high-end security to be concerned with.

But the vast majority of Chinese customers are buying locally-made Android phones that can cost as little as half or less of what the Z3 is likely to sell for. And it would cost tens or hundreds of millions just to build infrastructure to sell phones in China, and THEN you'd need to advertise. Given that the current BB market is virtually zero, I don't see China as a great place for a company in BB's financial position to be. They simply can't afford to enter China right now.
    They can if they have a partner and the device could be manufactured in China. I was recently in China and advertisements in English of high end products are everywhere. The Chinese seem to be very attracted to worldwide branded products. China is very much a cash economy and disposable income for some is higher than you might think.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    03-27-14 09:22 PM
    Quarterly results are next Friday. While there will be some focus on the rate of user attrition, the market will be focused on the future in an attempt to determine when we may see revenue and profit turn the corner. I think John should take a page out of Bezos book and razzle dazzle the street by bringing forward a new big idea. A deal with China Telecom would do it, and if anyone can make this happen it is Mr. Chen:

Chen, who was born in Hong Kong, was a member of the President's Export Council, the U.S. government's principal advisory group on international trade. He has testified before the U.S. Congress on U.S.?China trade relations and Forbes included him in a list of 25 notable Chinese-Americans.

Posted via CB10
    Not easy but i agree. I seem to see many Chinese language based apps on Blackberry world and i think the users love their blackberries. If they can get china telecom or china mobile backing they would eliminate alot of issues and red tape.
    04-05-14 10:05 PM
    Not easy but i agree. I seem to see many Chinese language based apps on Blackberry world and i think the users love their blackberries. If they can get china telecom or china mobile backing they would eliminate alot of issues and red tape.
    They love their blackberries so much that BBRY marketshare in China is zero percent?
    anon1727506 likes this.
    04-13-14 02:41 AM
    They love their blackberries so much that BBRY marketshare in China is zero percent?
    If 0% ist equal to 30 mio devices. Who cares? I don't know the total number of devices in the Chinese market, but it's for sure bigger than the US market (including 'feature phones')

I don't care about market share.
    I care about the business of the company. If the company runs well, I don't care about 0,1 oder 10% marketshare.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 08:26 AM
    If 0% ist equal to 30 mio devices. Who cares? I don't know the total number of devices in the Chinese market, but it's for sure bigger than the US market (including 'feature phones')

I don't care about market share.
    I care about the business of the company. If the company runs well, I don't care about 0,1 oder 10% marketshare.

Posted via CB10
    Is it bigger?

How many Chinese own dumb phones? How many currently own smartphones?

I really don't know, all I hear about the Chinese market is how it is flooded with homegrown SUPER CHEAP devices. I'm sure there is a percentage of premium device owners.... but BlackBerry isn't know as a premium device manufacture.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 06:49 AM
    Why shouldn't we assume this?

They seem quite forthcoming about the platforms they have full access to and I haven't seen BlackBerry on the list?

Posted via CB10
    Neither of us have any proof but if I were a betting man, I would bet they can slice though Blackberry and even one on BES with ease. Maybe if you use a Hulk Hogan sticker you would be protected!
    anon1727506 likes this.
    04-14-14 01:21 PM
    Neither of us have any proof but if I were a betting man, I would bet they can slice though Blackberry and even one on BES with ease. Maybe if you use a Hulk Hogan sticker you would be protected!
    If they couldn't they would just tell BlackBerry the servers need to be in country like India did. Security is pretty much relative to who you are trying to keep out. As I imagine China has hacked the NSA (all the parts are made in China).... BlackBerry wouldn't be a problem.
    04-14-14 04:50 PM