I do understand your point. And I do understand how some can argue that Chen has the company on a better footing.

Even though I understand, I just don't agree. IMO, he has only "temporarily" extended BlackBerry's run. And he is heading it off into a direction where BlackBerry has very poor core competence. While Chen may think he knows software, IMO, he is very ill suited to knowing the enterprise market he intends to penetrate.

Just look at how poorly BBMs enterprise offerings have failed so far. BBM meetings? Hasn't made blip... sorry but Cisco's WebEx is still the dominant player.

I agree that my primary frustration hinges on the fact that I'm here for the phones. I just firmly believe that BlackBerry should have stayed within their area of core competence.

In all honesty, if BlackBerry is not a permanent player in phones, then I would have preferred they just fold up shop a couple years ago. I'm invested in BB10 now. And I wish it would continue. But what I realize is that Chen has only continued the run for a short while... and it is likely on it's last leg now. And if that is true... and we're all forced to jump to some other new OS anyway... well, I just wish I'd done it sooner...
    2 points:

I fully agree with your notion that Chen simply gave BlackBerry more time to do.... Something.

He is very good at micromanaging ressources, downsizing, at making the most out of BlackBerry's little wiggle room.

I partly agree about advertising and brand awareness.
    Where I am from, BlackBerry is probably as dead as Symbian S60 phones...

But they need better products before they advertise. Don't get me wrong as I will generalise now, but:
    Classic sucks, Z10 EoL, Z30 sucks (good as a cheap entry phone though), Z3/Leap is simply an insult to everyone out there still liking BlackBerry.
    Their only good phone right now is the Passport. And because that one has a keyboard, you reduce your potential target market to 0.X%.

So, before BlackBerry even thinks about advertising, they need to fix their incredibly abysmal product portfolio.
    Right now, making people aware of BlackBerry's lacking and bad offerings would probably harm them more than do any good.

IF BlackBerry fixes their portfolio, I am all for some intelligent/viral marketing ideas. Until then, BlackBerry shouldn't even think about advertising.
    leejayh likes this.
    07-25-15 06:10 AM
    Kinda like all positive unsupported talking that has been going on?

I think the market has gotten over the "honeymoon" effect from Chen. They simply want to see less talk and more action, or some kinda details on all these new products that are suppose to fill in the gaps that hardware and BIS are making. And the laughing, smirking and vagueness just didn't sit well with most investors.
    Stock trading on potential, potential is never met, stock tanks, potential will never be realised, non institutional investors start to understand that as well, self-fulfilling prophecy gets fulfilled, new penny stock was created (or BlackBerry sold for scraps to another entity).

I think that we are in that kind of loop.
    This has an actual positive upside though:
    If people don't believe in the potential anymore, but Chen manages to pull off a Sybase, then I'll be rich, Chen a hero, and most institutional investors angry.

I have been waiting since early 2014 to buy some new BlackBerry stock (after having it sold with a lot of profits, because I understood that the market won't buy T.Heins statements forever. Trading on potential and such... ) and I might buy some in the next few quarters as I personally think that the stock price will continue to decline over the next few quarters.
    (if however the next ER will be sensational, I'll do it sooner)
    07-25-15 06:18 AM
    Jc is making good strategic moves. The mission, vision, and position of the company are highly aligned - security, enterprise, the emerging Suite of services, the reallocation of resources. As consumers, we just don't like it, and analysts are waiting for results.

However, Jc has made pretty bad execution errors with the business that is getting less focus. All the phones save the passport were really tactical errors. Solving a fleet phone market, was fine, but he never established a mainstream flagship phone.

And, since this plan really has little visibility except for the bungled fleet phones which no one got excited for, the stock will deteriorate until the hidden plan shows signs of life.

We will soon be at a point where all hope will be lost on the hardware and services and the stock will go into the 5's or 6's - completely reliant from a valuation on the software biz. If they can show growth in the suite, the stock could rise. But it is going to be a rocky road.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    07-25-15 06:57 AM
    Reading BlackBerry news is a distraction to me from the really bad $hit that is happening in the world, ie Geoengineering, Monsanto GMOs, UN Agenda 21, so when I read articles like this, where the OP has way too much time on his hands to research a phone company, it just makes me question people's priorities.
    I suggest you look up the word "Hypocrisy" in the dictionary! :-)
    techvisor likes this.
    07-26-15 06:20 AM
    Jc is making good strategic moves. The mission, vision, and position of the company are highly aligned - security, enterprise, the emerging Suite of services, the reallocation of resources. As consumers, we just don't like it, and analysts are waiting for results.

However, Jc has made pretty bad execution errors with the business that is getting less focus. All the phones save the passport were really tactical errors. Solving a fleet phone market, was fine, but he never established a mainstream flagship phone.

And, since this plan really has little visibility except for the bungled fleet phones which no one got excited for, the stock will deteriorate until the hidden plan shows signs of life.

We will soon be at a point where all hope will be lost on the hardware and services and the stock will go into the 5's or 6's - completely reliant from a valuation on the software biz. If they can show growth in the suite, the stock could rise. But it is going to be a rocky road.

Posted via CB10
    So you're saying he basically took the area where BlackBerry has a long history of core competency, brand recognition and potential for success... and he screwed it up royally.

All the while focusing solely on software, an area where BlackBerry has very little competency, virtually zero brand recognition and chances for success that are hugely risky at best... and that's where he wishes to take the company?

I guess I agree with your description.

But your conclusion that JC is making good strategic moves?

NOT!!!

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 12:17 PM
    Takes time...

Classically Posted.
    07-26-15 01:21 PM
    Takes time...

Classically Posted.
    The market doubts it that BlackBerry still has the time to pull it off, I guess. Or that whatever they will deliver, won't be any good.
    The stock is really "tanking" by now.
    techvisor likes this.
    07-26-15 03:02 PM
    The market doubts it that BlackBerry still has the time to pull it off, I guess. Or that whatever they will deliver, won't be any good.
    The stock is really "tanking" by now.
    It's a fringe play...has been for over four years...Oil is tanking, energy in general actually...many down to sub 2008 levels.
    The "market" knows less than many here concerning the possibilities of success or failure concerning BlackBerry ....what it does know is a good chunk of their "safe" energy investments have halved in value and their dividends are vapour or going to be soon. The last thing they want to play with are fringe stocks at this point.

That's the reality, and a very high percentage of the reason BlackBerry is down so dramatically....NOT all the arm chair BS spread on forum posts on CB.

Classically Posted.
    07-26-15 08:12 PM
    Oh...and I take exception to your previous comment concerning the Classic...it's not crap at all. For folks that need a work horse THAT WORKS in any temperature (unlike slabs...they freeze), it's a great device. I love mine actually.
    The Leap was produced to replace the Z10...low cost fleet device for basic communication/functionality, works perfectly for that. (I personally never liked the Z10...much prefer everything since that device).

Anyway...that's what makes the world go round...differing opinions.

Classically Posted.
    07-26-15 08:15 PM
    It's a fringe play...has been for over four years...Oil is tanking, energy in general actually...many down to sub 2008 levels.
    The "market" knows less than many here concerning the possibilities of success or failure concerning BlackBerry ....what it does know is a good chunk of their "safe" energy investments have halved in value and their dividends are vapour or going to be soon. The last thing they want to play with are fringe stocks at this point.

That's the reality, and a very high percentage of the reason BlackBerry is down so dramatically....NOT all the arm chair BS spread on forum posts on CB.

Classically Posted.
    Energy trends have NOTHING to do with what's happening to BBRY now.

Geez I sure hope folks aren't taking any stock tips from such talk.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    07-26-15 08:56 PM
    Energy trends have NOTHING to do with what's happening to BBRY now.

Geez I sure hope folks aren't taking any stock tips from such talk.

Posted via CB10
    Who is offering stock tips? Energy has EVERYTHING to do with the tightening of money...it's only thrown an entire nations economy into the ditch.
    Please stop babbling negative nonsense. ..its very clear at this point you know "Nothing" of what you speak so maybe, just maybe...stop.... Geez

Classically Posted.
    07-26-15 09:13 PM
    Stock trading on potential, potential is never met, stock tanks, potential will never be realised, non institutional investors start to understand that as well, self-fulfilling prophecy gets fulfilled, new penny stock was created (or BlackBerry sold for scraps to another entity).

I think that we are in that kind of loop.
    This has an actual positive upside though:
    If people don't believe in the potential anymore, but Chen manages to pull off a Sybase, then I'll be rich, Chen a hero, and most institutional investors angry.

I have been waiting since early 2014 to buy some new BlackBerry stock (after having it sold with a lot of profits, because I understood that the market won't buy T.Heins statements forever. Trading on potential and such... ) and I might buy some in the next few quarters as I personally think that the stock price will continue to decline over the next few quarters.
    (if however the next ER will be sensational, I'll do it sooner)
    It is very attractive right now, and I kinda expect this next ER will push it down a little further, as I imagine some of the rumors will have hurt sales.

And I doubt BlackBerry will see $150, $100, $75, $50 or maybe even $25 in the next several years.... but $12, $14 or even $16 could be very possible if he steadies revenues and then starts slowly building them. So getting in at $6 - $7 a share could be a great opportunity for you....

Unless Chen hasn't got anything up his sleeve and this is it...
    techvisor and MarsupilamiX like this.
    07-27-15 08:15 AM
    Who is offering stock tips? Energy has EVERYTHING to do with the tightening of money...it's only thrown an entire nations economy into the ditch.
    Please stop babbling negative nonsense. ..its very clear at this point you know "Nothing" of what you speak so maybe, just maybe...stop.... Geez

Classically Posted.
    Let's see...

Over the past 6 months the NASDAQ:
    - has hit all time highs
    - is up nearly 8% (even with energy related declines)

And BBRY is:
    - down nearly 30%

Energy is being mostly influenced by global geo-politics (Iran, China, Saudi Arabia, ISIS, Russia, US... ). The overall markets have of course been slightly affected by this (thought still close to all time highs).

BBRY movements, on the other hand, have very little to do with this... and very much to do with investor's increasing lack of confidence in Chairman Chen's plans.

But I just babble...

Maybe take it from some well respected experts?

BlackBerry Still Hopes for Turnaround but Analyst Remains Skeptical - TheStreet

"In our view, even after the firm's turnaround plans are finished, we don't have a high degree of confidence that BlackBerry can do much better than break even in the long term, and we don't see a compelling risk/reward profile for the company today."
    techvisor and notfanboy like this.
    07-27-15 11:20 AM
    Oil is ALWAYS controlled within a geopolitical environment...cause does not matter...if compr�hension is the issue with understanding when 25% of the average portfolio dumps a noogie on your brown loafers, then I give up.

Also....huge percentage of BlackBerry drop is within last few weeks...all attributable to Chens poorly timed announcement of another 12 -18 month road to profitability.

If you hate BlackBerry, Chen, and their attempts to save a great company so be it...point taken, but why post the same negative crap over and over again?

Classically Posted.
    Last edited by Shanerredflag; 07-27-15 at 12:42 PM.
    07-27-15 12:18 PM
    Oil is ALWAYS controlled within a geopolitical environment...cause does not matter...if compr�hension is the issue with understanding when 25% of the average portfolio dumps a noogie on your brown loafers, then I give up.

Also....huge percentage of BlackBerry drop is within last few weeks...all attributable to Chens poorly timed announcement of another 12 -18 month road to profitability.

If you hate BlackBerry, Chen, and their attempts to save a great company so be it...point taken, but why post the same negative crap over and over again?

Classically Posted.
    Yin to your Yang.....?

There must be balance.
    07-27-15 01:36 PM
    Before I begin, I will note that these are my thoughts and opinions only, if you're planning on attacking, please discontinue reading, this is not for you. I have been browsing these forums for some time and am a shareholder (long) for many years, but I've come to realize that the main people left with BlackBerry are the individuals who are deluded to think this company will survive or ever become anything like its glory days.

My main point however, is that John Chen is constantly touted as being some sort of saviour, however, all his actions have mostly caused harm to BlackBerry and its shareholders, as well as the company. All he's done is continue to alienate various stakeholders, which RIM constantly did (media, consumers, businesses) and now BBRY continues down this same path. John Chen is no hero, if you think about the number of items he's said he's been working on and how there are things in the pipeline, this is nothing but conjecture. John Chen does nothing but blow smoke, he may have a plan, but it's not working. He is not the man for the job, we aren't living in a world of tech like we were in his Sybase days. The world has changed, technology has changed, John Chen no longer understands change in the tech world. If we look back at the many 'events' that we have 'waited' for, they have all been half-assed, mediocre outcomes with Chen; resulting in nothing but a further falling share price and no better results for the company. His words continue to damage the company, when he speaks, especially with the media, even he seems like he doesn't believe in the company, his actions and comments further toll the company.

Now to my point, the reality check, so many BlackBerry fans (including myself) are deluded into thinking this company will be something, but the reality is that it won't and likely never will, it seems that complacency and a lack of transparency have returned as the modus operandi for this company. The delusionists mention IOT, QNX, ..... the list goes on, but how much has actually happened, other companies, are jumping and taking advantage of these markets and John Chen, "... it's coming, watch I have a surprise", and when announced, "so we are full speed ahead on the IOT front, and QNX is doing wonderful, we're in millions of cars" not mentioning that those millions of those cars bring in no revenue, and cannot be monetized. In the meantime other companies are aggressively pursuing their ideas through full transparency, open source projects, and implementation at relatively high speeds. For those who will say larger companies have more resources, in many ways this may have some affect, however if anything BlackBerry is a company that should be smaller, thus more adaptable and a faster moving company in being first to market.

I could go on; but what I came here to say, is, Let's stop making excuses for BlackBerry otherwise they have no reason to change and will fail and fall by the wayside and you can count my words on this!
    Everybody, is just speculating here for one simple reason, Chen NEVER says a thing, just speaks for ages about, well, basically NOTHING.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-15 01:29 AM
141 ... 456