Before I begin, I will note that these are my thoughts and opinions only, if you're planning on attacking, please discontinue reading, this is not for you. I have been browsing these forums for some time and am a shareholder (long) for many years, but I've come to realize that the main people left with BlackBerry are the individuals who are deluded to think this company will survive or ever become anything like its glory days.

My main point however, is that John Chen is constantly touted as being some sort of saviour, however, all his actions have mostly caused harm to BlackBerry and its shareholders, as well as the company. All he's done is continue to alienate various stakeholders, which RIM constantly did (media, consumers, businesses) and now BBRY continues down this same path. John Chen is no hero, if you think about the number of items he's said he's been working on and how there are things in the pipeline, this is nothing but conjecture. John Chen does nothing but blow smoke, he may have a plan, but it's not working. He is not the man for the job, we aren't living in a world of tech like we were in his Sybase days. The world has changed, technology has changed, John Chen no longer understands change in the tech world. If we look back at the many 'events' that we have 'waited' for, they have all been half-assed, mediocre outcomes with Chen; resulting in nothing but a further falling share price and no better results for the company. His words continue to damage the company, when he speaks, especially with the media, even he seems like he doesn't believe in the company, his actions and comments further toll the company.

Now to my point, the reality check, so many BlackBerry fans (including myself) are deluded into thinking this company will be something, but the reality is that it won't and likely never will, it seems that complacency and a lack of transparency have returned as the modus operandi for this company. The delusionists mention IOT, QNX, ..... the list goes on, but how much has actually happened, other companies, are jumping and taking advantage of these markets and John Chen, "... it's coming, watch I have a surprise", and when announced, "so we are full speed ahead on the IOT front, and QNX is doing wonderful, we're in millions of cars" not mentioning that those millions of those cars bring in no revenue, and cannot be monetized. In the meantime other companies are aggressively pursuing their ideas through full transparency, open source projects, and implementation at relatively high speeds. For those who will say larger companies have more resources, in many ways this may have some affect, however if anything BlackBerry is a company that should be smaller, thus more adaptable and a faster moving company in being first to market.

I could go on; but what I came here to say, is, Let's stop making excuses for BlackBerry otherwise they have no reason to change and will fail and fall by the wayside and you can count my words on this!
    I only fault JC for not realizing that the hardware has to go. if you can only sell 4 million units a year in a market of 1 billion units, you are a failure.
    Gartner Says Smartphone Sales Surpassed One Billion Units in 2014
    sati01 likes this.
    07-06-15 11:58 PM
    Another FUD thread IMO. This wave of FUD usually happens during quiet period. I'm loving the FUD and the drop in SP. Starting to take advantage of shorts by selling and buying back even more shares. Anyways cheers to all the BlackBerry Can't do anything right crowd who spend hours , days, weeks, months and years just to warn us all that BlackBerry can't do anything right. Thanks for your dedication. Say hi to the guys at NSA. Ooops sorry just tin foil hat talk. Iraq has WMD....they wouldn't lie.

Posted via CB10
    if you think the NSA does not have access to Blackberry, you are as foolish as you can be.
    07-07-15 12:03 AM
    I only fault JC for not realizing that the hardware has to go. if you can only sell 4 million units a year in a market of 1 billion units, you are a failure.
    Gartner Says Smartphone Sales Surpassed One Billion Units in 2014
    Question...if you make and sell "x" percentage of devices on a global scale and lose money are you a success?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/htc-retu...ses-1436171343

Classically Posted.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-07-15 06:18 AM
    The man grows the cash reserve every ER, has defined a target market, is growing software and is finally chasing some cash for their huge IP portfolio...yet folks find a way to complain. Unreal.

Classically Posted.
    Amusing how anyone could find anything in recent ERs to spin as positive. Obviously investors are not impressed:

JC Reality Check!-screen-shot-2015-07-07-7.20.07-am.png

There hasn't been a good day yet for BBRY in the 2 weeks since last ER... down 16% at present since then...
    techvisor likes this.
    07-07-15 09:25 AM
    Amusing how anyone could find anything in recent ERs to spin as positive. Obviously investors are not impressed:

There hasn't been a good day yet in the 2 weeks since last ER... down 16% at present...
    But can you really blame Chen for this?

I do think that from where the company was when he took over, to where it is now... is a much better place. As he got spending under control, cut cost and has moved to open up new areas of revenue for the company. But it's going to be a pretty small company as more cuts will have to come to match revenues and to keep the books balanced.

But this is CrackBerry and most of us are here for the phones.... and sadly I don't see much of a future for the hardware business. If he does keep it going it will be with less BB10 development (or even Android as the OS) and pricing will be higher on whatever hardware they decided to use. As their volume and having to outsource everything is going to increase their cost per device vs what most OEM are looking at.
    07-07-15 09:37 AM
    If JC have had a chance to sell the company but didn't, then I think he is at least partially responsible for the declining SP. Frankly, the only reason some of us have not sold is the hope for a buyouts...

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 09:48 AM
    I do understand your point. And I do understand how some can argue that Chen has the company on a better footing.

Even though I understand, I just don't agree. IMO, he has only "temporarily" extended BlackBerry's run. And he is heading it off into a direction where BlackBerry has very poor core competence. While Chen may think he knows software, IMO, he is very ill suited to knowing the enterprise market he intends to penetrate.

Just look at how poorly BBMs enterprise offerings have failed so far. BBM meetings? Hasn't made blip... sorry but Cisco's WebEx is still the dominant player.

I agree that my primary frustration hinges on the fact that I'm here for the phones. I just firmly believe that BlackBerry should have stayed within their area of core competence.

In all honesty, if BlackBerry is not a permanent player in phones, then I would have preferred they just fold up shop a couple years ago. I'm invested in BB10 now. And I wish it would continue. But what I realize is that Chen has only continued the run for a short while... and it is likely on it's last leg now. And if that is true... and we're all forced to jump to some other new OS anyway... well, I just wish I'd done it sooner...
    techvisor likes this.
    07-07-15 09:54 AM
    Question...if you make and sell "x" percentage of devices on a global scale and lose money are you a success?

HTC Returns to Loss - WSJ

Classically Posted.
    Bottom line.. BlackBerry's drop in handset sales under Chen has decreased chances for profitability. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it would be better for BlackBerry to be increasing handset sales and not the other way around.
    07-07-15 10:51 AM
    Part of Chen's big mistake was announcing how quickly the turnaround would be with very specific metrics. Then he had to make cuts that compromised the business but got to those metrics because sales were so bad.

It would have been better to lose money but sell more handsets for a certain period of time than to spend nothing on marketing and strip the company down to nothing.

Not spending on marketing to me is the biggest killer at this point. The OS has matured even with the cuts. They do need to release new hardware on the other hand.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    07-07-15 08:43 PM
    Reading BlackBerry news is a distraction to me from the really bad $hit that is happening in the world, ie Geoengineering, Monsanto GMOs, UN Agenda 21, so when I read articles like this, where the OP has way too much time on his hands to research a phone company, it just makes me question people's priorities.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 09:07 PM
    Reading BlackBerry news is a distraction to me from the really bad $hit that is happening in the world, ie Geoengineering, Monsanto GMOs, UN Agenda 21, so when I read articles like this, where the OP has way too much time on his hands to research a phone company, it just makes me question people's priorities.

Posted via CB10
    So why are you reading it then? And taking time to post?

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 11:28 PM
    Part of Chen's big mistake was announcing how quickly the turnaround would be with very specific metrics. Then he had to make cuts that compromised the business but got to those metrics because sales were so bad.

It would have been better to lose money but sell more handsets for a certain period of time than to spend nothing on marketing and strip the company down to nothing.

Not spending on marketing to me is the biggest killer at this point. The OS has matured even with the cuts. They do need to release new hardware on the other hand.
    Completely agree!

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 11:29 PM
    I thought this was about stock investing. It's still not low enough for me to buy but I am following.
    07-07-15 11:29 PM
    So why are you reading it then? And taking time to post?

Posted via CB10
    Because I needed a distraction. Thought I made that clear in the first sentence.

BBClassic10 
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    07-08-15 08:35 AM
    Because I needed a distraction. Thought I made that clear in the first sentence.

BBClassic10 
    Sure, there are other interesting and very important topics.

BlackBerry is the last foothold of a rather independent communications company, and phones and mobile communications are an increasingly important factor in most people's lives.

It's about still having choices in the mobile realm
    , same way as GMO/Agribusiness is about boring, landscape-destroying monocultures and the fight against it about preservation of healthy, God-made food and landscapes...

The bottom-line of the problem is (human) greed, and disinterest in the fate and well-being of others. And ultimately it's hurting oneself or people one is close with. *

:-D

(*example: Buying tobacco company shares? Making a healthy profit, or made some in the past? I'm sure someone in anybody's extended family died, is dying or will die from lung cancer, sadly... )

�   Chendroid or not? - That is the question...   �
    Paintman321 and Shanerredflag like this.
    07-08-15 06:44 PM
    Sure, there are other interesting and very important topics.

BlackBerry is the last foothold of a rather independent communications company, and phones and mobile communications are an increasingly important factor in most people's lives.

It's about still having choices in the mobile realm
    , same way as GMO/Agribusiness is about boring, landscape-destroying monocultures and the fight against it about preservation of healthy, God-made food and landscapes...

The bottom-line of the problem is (human) greed, and disinterest in the fate and well-being of others. And ultimately it's hurting oneself or people one is close with. *

:-D

(*example: Buying tobacco company shares? Making a healthy profit, or made some in the past? I'm sure someone in anybody's extended family died, is dying or will die from lung cancer, sadly... )

�   Chendroid or not? - That is the question...   �
    People usually only care deeply about things that they feel are important in their own daily lives, their cars, phones, homes, jobs, that they rarely, if ever, look at the world outside of themselves.

BlackBerry being the last foothold of independent communications kinda died in 2007. As much as we preach the importance of a secure phone we must not forget how unsecure our BlackBerry's are. Google, through ad tracking, Gmail, search. NSA GCHQ and Canada's own CSIS Prism backdoors in our software (to think otherwise is foolish). The secure BlackBerry phones are reserved for governments not normal everyday people those governments have elected to spy on.

And what is going to happen to that personal phone we all love so much when personal property is taken from us by UN Agenda 21? Maybe they'll let us keep our phones, but that's something we could avoid all together if people started researching the subject now and started to fight against it, using all those intellectual skills they reserve for researching trivial material objects that will not matter one day. As it stands the phone company's are now leasing phones, that will matter a lot once you realize what they TPP is all about.

BBClassic10 
    07-08-15 07:56 PM
    Way deep dudes...lol.

Classically Posted.
    07-08-15 10:12 PM
    Whenever JC talks, the stock tank..

Posted via CB10
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    07-10-15 12:39 PM
    Whenever JC talks, the stock tank..

Posted via CB10
    He done a lot of talking over the last 18 months... but other than cutting cost and selling anything he could, he has not really produced a product that brings in revenues. Potential will only get you so far, and some of his potential products date back to Thors reign.... you can only talk about these for so long.
    techvisor and crackberry_geek like this.
    07-10-15 02:57 PM
    Lot of negative unsupported talking going on in this thread too.

Classically Posted.
    07-11-15 05:59 AM
    Lot of negative unsupported talking going on in this thread too.

Classically Posted.
    Kinda like all positive unsupported talking that has been going on?

I think the market has gotten over the "honeymoon" effect from Chen. They simply want to see less talk and more action, or some kinda details on all these new products that are suppose to fill in the gaps that hardware and BIS are making. And the laughing, smirking and vagueness just didn't sit well with most investors.
    07-13-15 09:12 AM
    Think back to a few weeks ago just prior to the earnings report, the word of the day on CrackBerry was "FUD". Every analyst from Morgan Stanley to RBC who cautioned about the upcoming quarterly results was accused of spreading FUD and pushing the stock price down. Of course if the FUD was proven wrong then the stock price would bounce up in the clear light of real data from John Chen.

In an ironic twist, it wasn't the FUD that hurt the stock price, but Chen's FUDging of the numbers by mixing in licensing costs and software.
    07-13-15 02:45 PM
    Think back to a few weeks ago just prior to the earnings report, the word of the day on CrackBerry was "FUD". Every analyst from Morgan Stanley to RBC who cautioned about the upcoming quarterly results was accused of spreading FUD and pushing the stock price down. Of course if the FUD was proven wrong then the stock price would bounce up in the clear light of real data from John Chen.

In an ironic twist, it wasn't the FUD that hurt the stock price, but Chen's FUDging of the numbers by mixing in licensing costs and software.
    I think the problem is there wasn't any clear light of real data. We got the ER but very little of what happened to get those numbers, and how next quarter should be any better. And now it's on to phase 2 which will take another 18 Months... I doubt he will have that long before Prem steps in again.
    07-13-15 03:51 PM
    With such poor ER performance and subsequent SP crash, I am not sure how long can JC last, I am willing to give him one more quarter but no more.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 09:08 AM
    With such poor ER performance and subsequent SP crash, I am not sure how long can JC last, I am willing to give him one more quarter but no more.

Posted via CB10
    I doubt anything is going to happen this quarter... I think most everyone will see what happens in Nov/Dec and then watch for changes in with the 4th Quarter results. Or if there are delays in launching in all markets like with the Classic, he might have until next June.

And maybe by then hardware won't matter....
    07-20-15 09:25 AM
141 ... 3456