08-18-13 10:05 AM
    What's the alternative? Lose his investment.

Roger Mcnamee (watsa's palm counter part from Elevation partners) switched from a a palm pre to an iPhone as soon as palm was sold to HP.
    08-18-13 10:28 AM
    maybe take it private, then sell it off piece by piece.in order to make his money back.
    he would certainly know what blackberry has in the works and how valuable the company really is.
    who knows.
    08-18-13 10:30 AM
  4. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    He's very respected with great contacts... I expect a bid for BlackBerry from him and his partners to take the company private.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 04:39 PM
    Prem is certainly the ultimate long term investor -- and that's exactly the kind of company Blackberry is at this point.
    08-18-13 05:11 PM
    If 17 was a deal for him over a year ago I wonder why 15 would be considered now,after the terrible bb10 launch.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 07:00 PM
    If PW knew how to turn BBRY around, what has prevented him from doing so already?

Jim B bailed out last year. They doubled management's double-trigger vesting (either instilling TH with super confidence or making the company harder to be bought out, take your pick), they supposedly have 3 bill in the bank, no debt, a 3-phase plan, so how would taking it private make any difference to the consumer or the institutional clients.
    08-18-13 07:53 PM
    No surprise here.........that's why he quit the board.

The real question is; will Blackberry "fire sale" itself to an insider because of promises and special considerations previously entered into with key decision makers ? Maybe he's threaten to unload his shares in one day and massacre the stock price ?

It'd always the same.......the insiders get most of the gravy while the leftovers go the common shareholders.
    08-18-13 10:05 PM
    Or hell do what Buffet does and offer a price with yes or no as possible responses. No possibility of negotiations. But a fair price offered.

Does Prem have an established history regarding this?

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 10:13 PM
    And that article says nothing new. Just adding unconfirmable sensationalized text

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 10:18 PM
    Prem Watsa has long advocated splitting up the company and selling parts of it to unlock value. I don't see him as a saviour of the company, just someone who knows how to get some money out of it. Once he's done with it, we could end up with another Corel, a small Canadian niche player that makes some money.
    08-18-13 11:48 PM
    Blasphemy! PW can do no wrong... On a serious note, though, do you have a source or quotes by PW for splitting up the co.?

Prem Watsa has long advocated splitting up the company and selling parts of it to unlock value. I don't see him as a saviour of the company, just someone who knows how to get some money out of it. Once he's done with it, we could end up with another Corel, a small Canadian niche player that makes some money.
    kfh227 likes this.
    08-19-13 08:25 AM
    If PW knew how to turn BBRY around, what has prevented him from doing so already?

Jim B bailed out last year. They doubled management's double-trigger vesting (either instilling TH with super confidence or making the company harder to be bought out, take your pick), they supposedly have 3 bill in the bank, no debt, a 3-phase plan, so how would taking it private make any difference to the consumer or the institutional clients.
    Because being a publicly traded company is a completely different ballgame compared to bring a private body.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 08:59 AM
    Proof? This is news to me.

I always thought that he was more of a fully own subsidiary kind of investor.

Posted via CB10
    danprown likes this.
    08-19-13 09:26 AM
    I would agree with you if the problem was access to capital. In BBRY's case, despite the severely eroded cap, BBRY has money in the bank and no debt. It has a cushion to implement its plan. All of the major shareholders are apparently on the same page. The board is reportedly on the same page. So that is why I have difficulty in seeing what would fundamentally change if tomorrow BBRY stops reporting its sales numbers.

Because being a publicly traded company is a completely different ballgame compared to bring a private body.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 10:43 AM
    I would agree with you if the problem was access to capital. In BBRY's case, despite the severely eroded cap, BBRY has money in the bank and no debt. It has a cushion to implement its plan. All of the major shareholders are apparently on the same page. The board is reportedly on the same page. So that is why I have difficulty in seeing what would fundamentally change if tomorrow BBRY stops reporting its sales numbers.
    Nothing.... they would struggle just the same. That is unless the new owners decided to sell the company off piece by piece, in which case the struggle would be over.
    08-19-13 11:48 AM

A publicly traded company is focused on quarterly earnings whole a private company can focus more on long term cash flow. This is a Hugh difference and allows the company more freedom to do the right thing for the long term health of the company.
    m0de25 likes this.
    08-19-13 11:58 AM
    Prem Watsa smells a deal...he was happy to buy at $40 and now at $10 he's probably over the moon. Of course he's going to take a run at BBerry when the stock is so depressed....buy low sell high.

Do you actually think he'll keep the company intact ? Nope, cut up for parts and sold to the highest bidder. My worry is that he'll bid $12 and "satisfy" all the current management and board members, screwing all the long play shareholders. Fortunately, the Canadian Government and some large funds hold significant positions. They're going to looking for some recovery.

We'll see how this plays out, but Prem has lots of insider information which is never good for a seller, but priceless for the buyer.
    Last edited by EchoTango; 08-19-13 at 01:03 PM.
    08-19-13 12:41 PM
    And that article says nothing new. Just adding unconfirmable sensationalized text

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, and I'll replace your word un confirm able with 'uncomfortable'.
    08-19-13 02:14 PM
    Perhaps so, but he did state that he valued the protecting of Waterloo's technology sector (paraphrased).

Take it with a grain of salt, or perhaps, a pinch of curry?
    08-19-13 02:17 PM
    Or a bit of racism.

Posted via CB10
    gordon griffith likes this.
    08-19-13 02:18 PM
    Prem Watsa smells a deal...he was happy to buy at $40 and now at $10 he's probably over the moon. Of course he's going to take a run at BBerry when the stock is so depressed....buy low sell high.

Do you actually think he'll keep the company intact ? Nope, cut up for parts and sold to the highest bidder. My worry is that he'll bid $12 and "satisfy" all the current management and board members, screwing all the long play shareholders. Fortunately, the Canadian Government and some large funds hold significant positions. They're going to looking for some recovery.

We'll see how this plays out, but Prem has lots of insider information which is never good for a seller, but priceless for the buyer.
    Is this what he has done in the past? Or would he more likely to buy the company and manage it Warren Buffet style?
    08-19-13 03:49 PM
    $12 will be too low a price for BBRY shareholders and most will vote against the takeover and hope for a better bid. Given the relative quiet on acquisition front, it is likely that the whole hardware business is a toxic asset and whoever acquires the company is going to cut the losses and close those down ASAP.
    08-19-13 03:58 PM