View Poll Results: Are you a StockBerrian ?

Voters
215. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes ! (I own 100 or less shares)

28 13.02%
  • Yes ! (I own 100-500 shares)

40 18.60%
  • Yes ! (I own 500-1000 shares)

16 7.44%
  • Yes ! (I own more than 1000 shares)

97 45.12%
  • Yes ! (I don't want to disclose my #shares)

34 15.81%
    So this is where y'all went lol.

What a day! ahh.
    Win or lose, gotta eat and air it out. I'm really thinking over and over again what I should do. I'm long and was planning to make a decision to before Wednesday next week to protect my positions so I can continue to stay long. This pre-er really caught a lot of people by surprised. That sep 27 10 put premium went from 33 cents to 1.45 if I'm not mistaken up 300+ percent in one single shot.
    09-20-13 10:23 PM
    I don't quite understand this part:
    "For the second quarter, the Company expects to recognize hardware revenue on approximately 3.7 million BlackBerry smartphones. Most of the units recognized are BlackBerry 7 devices, in part because certain BlackBerry 10 devices that were shipped in the quarter will not be recognized until those devices are sold through to end customers. During the second quarter, approximately 5.9 million BlackBerry smartphones were sold through to end customers, which included shipments made prior to the second quarter and which reduced the Company�s inventory in channel."

Phones that are sold through to end customers are recognized as revenue. 3.7 million phones are recognized as revenue for the second quarter. 5.9 million phones are sold through to end customers during the second quarter, and this amount includes phones that were shipped prior to the second quarter. So, when are / were / will the 2.2 million phones that were shipped outside of the second quarter and sold through to end customer be recognized? Were they recognized in the June ER? But the 2.2 million phones were sold during the second quarter. ???
    Last edited by JLagoon; 09-20-13 at 11:01 PM.
    Reed Richards, dusdal and bungaboy like this.
    09-20-13 10:39 PM
    Unraveling this is important. imo.
    fedakd, bungaboy and morganplus8 like this.
    09-20-13 10:53 PM
    I don't quite understand this part:
    "For the second quarter, the Company expects to recognize hardware revenue on approximately 3.7 million BlackBerry smartphones. Most of the units recognized are BlackBerry 7 devices, in part because certain BlackBerry 10 devices that were shipped in the quarter will not be recognized until those devices are sold through to end customers. During the second quarter, approximately 5.9 million BlackBerry smartphones were sold through to end customers, which included shipments made prior to the second quarter and which reduced the Company’s inventory in channel."

Phones that are sold through to end customers are recognized as revenue. 3.7 million phones are recognized as revenue for the second quarter. 5.9 million phones are sold through to end customers during the second quarter, and this amount includes phones that were shipped prior to the second quarter. So, when are / were / will the 2.2 million phones that were shipped outside of the second quarter and sold through to end customer be recognized? Were they recognized in the June ER? But the 2.2 million phones were sold during the second quarter. ???
    Ok... so last Q they shipped 6.8 million phones and got to recognize revenue on all shipped as they sold them to the distribution channel. It seems as though sell through wasn't great and the distribution partners no longer wished to pay up front for the phones so will pay as they sell. So, of the phones they shipped this quarter, they only sold 3.7 million. The remaining phones that sold, the last 2.2, had already been paid for in Q1 when they were shipped. This will hurt the books this quarter as it's a shift but the adjustment should be recognized come next Q. This should also explain why the mix is mostly revenue from the legacy devices as they shipped far more this quarter with the new 9720 but the majority of BB10 devices that did sell into customers hands were already in the inventory channel. Not great news but not as bad as it seems. Obviously there has been a problem with the uptake of the phones and the numbers and layoffs reflect that but the company is not doomed nor destined for bankruptcy as many are trying to say. They just skim the report, not read and try to understand.

This is just how I see it. It may or may not be this way but that is my understanding of the report after reading it a few times.
    09-20-13 11:19 PM
    At best we are only seeing USD10 out of this stock
    09-20-13 11:24 PM
    Announce non-public information: check

It appears those "unnamed individuals" were more familiar with the matter than I originally thought. Let's assume that those hearing talk about the Lenovos or MSFTs evaluating the company are also "familiar with the matter". Let's also assume that the hiring of PwC today is one of the last pieces of the puzzle.

BBM X-platform, A change in revenue recognition, 150M shorts, and all non-public information now made public. BlackBerry opened up its closet and showed everyone its skeletons today -- what could the shorts possibly be waiting for now? I think things are certain to heat up now, and at an even quicker pace!

Sorry I haven't been posting much. Crazy busy with work on a Capital adequacy and risk management project & keeping watch over BBRY is like a second full-time job! Time to unwind with a nice cold beer and to check out the highlights of the Tour Championship 2nd round (PGA)

Have a good evening all! Over and out.
    09-20-13 11:25 PM
    First a question to Morgan, the gap down to about $8 was filled today. Thoughts on that as it bounced nicely.

Also on a separate note with respect to the GAAP loss of about a billion on the Z10 what is evident to me is that they are planning to use the this device as the entry level phone along with the Q-5 and are thinking to take the hit now and price it as low as possible which will have a positive impact on cash when they recognize the sale as long as it is above Zero.
    Think of it this way, say the cost of each device is $350 and they written it down to zero (hence GAAP loss of $350) if they sell it for anything it is a net positive on earnings. It would also help a buyer as it spruces up the book value of the company.
    Further more the high margin business the service revenue will be even more greatly recognized after the write down. The book value decrease to about $16 or so and TBV around $9 still gives us a worse case scenario. I agree that pre releasing the info is interesting given he timing of X-BBM but perhaps the rumour mongers will be put to rest and we can move forward making a smaller company that is profitable.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by kadakn01; 09-21-13 at 12:32 AM.
    09-20-13 11:42 PM
    Ok... so last Q they shipped 6.8 million phones and got to recognize revenue on all shipped as they sold them to the distribution channel. It seems as though sell through wasn't great and the distribution partners no longer wished to pay up front for the phones so will pay as they sell. So, of the phones they shipped this quarter, they only sold 3.7 million. The remaining phones that sold, the last 2.2, had already been paid for in Q1 when they were shipped. This will hurt the books this quarter as it's a shift but the adjustment should be recognized come next Q. This should also explain why the mix is mostly revenue from the legacy devices as they shipped far more this quarter with the new 9720 but the majority of BB10 devices that did sell into customers hands were already in the inventory channel. Not great news but not as bad as it seems. Obviously there has been a problem with the uptake of the phones and the numbers and layoffs reflect that but the company is not doomed nor destined for bankruptcy as many are trying to say. They just skim the report, not read and try to understand.

This is just how I see it. It may or may not be this way but that is my understanding of the report after reading it a few times.
    Did Blackberry say the amount of phones that are sold through to end customers in June ER? Is it 4.6 million phones?
    09-20-13 11:51 PM
    Good points but im starting to strongly believe that BB is doing all this dirty work to set up for a partnership or sale. Like most has said a small leaner company can make the company profitable again, my heart goes out to the people about to lose their jobs but it would be alot worst if the company had to declare bankruptcy. The shock today was hard to digest and hopefully the SP will recover some next week, have a great weekend everyone enjoy the last weekend of the summer! and we will fight another day
    09-20-13 11:54 PM

This is exactly how I understood it too.
    They have changed the reporting, and so the mismatch.
    Actually, 5.9 were sold to end users this quarter.
    morganplus8 and bungaboy like this.
    09-20-13 11:54 PM
    Did Blackberry say the amount of phones that are sold through to end customers in June ER? Is it 4.6 million phones?
    I didn't look at the conference call transcript but they gave an approximate percentage and I can't recall what that was. I believe it was about 80% or so. I know, the numbers don't add up completely but they could have still had legacy devices in the channel and Z10's from Q4.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    09-20-13 11:57 PM
    Wow...just finished a long day away from data access.

Been power reading for an hour...sorry to all that sold and lost, sorry SF that your thread got shut...hope its only temporary and a big thanks to all you awesome people for doing the heavy lifting and figuring out where we are at!!!

Clank Clank....

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 12:03 AM
    Good points but im starting to strongly believe that BB is doing all this dirty work to set up for a partnership or sale. Like most has said a small leaner company can make the company profitable again, my heart goes out to the people about to lose their jobs but it would be alot worst if the company had to declare bankruptcy. The shock today was hard to digest and hopefully the SP will recover some next week, have a great weekend everyone enjoy the last weekend of the summer! and we will fight another day
    They very well could be but I believe that it is to explain the massive difference in revenue q over q. Well, not really explain as the report did a poor job of explaining anything but yeah..... On the plus side, services revenue seems to be up so the bleed in that sector may have subsided.
    morganplus8 and bungaboy like this.
    09-21-13 12:04 AM
    5.9 million
    09-21-13 12:25 AM
    Update- the original thread has been re-opened.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-21-13 12:58 AM
    Update- original thread has been closed again.
    cjcampbell and bungaboy like this.
    09-21-13 05:44 PM
    Update- original thread has been closed again.
    SMH!!! What a joke.
    09-21-13 05:51 PM
    Got that right. I'm up for the new setup whenever it's ready. Sure showed the true colours of some I was giving the benefit of the doubt to. My mistake.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 06:10 PM
    A Picture Worth Thousands Words ------>

Good Luck With Morgan Your Stock Guru ;-)
    rodan01 likes this.
    09-21-13 06:17 PM
    check your invites before this one get's locked down too with some deciding they haven't done enough.... I've missed a bunch but can be rectified in little time.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-21-13 06:32 PM
    check your invites before this one get's locked down too with some deciding they haven't done enough.... I've missed a bunch but can be rectified in little time.
    Can you pm me as well?
    09-21-13 06:33 PM
    Count me in as well... thanks!

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 06:34 PM
    Can you pm me as well?
    Your invite is there....
    09-21-13 06:38 PM
    Count me in as well... thanks!

Posted via CB10
    So is yours...
    09-21-13 06:39 PM