View Poll Results: Are you a StockBerrian ?

Voters
215. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes ! (I own 100 or less shares)

28 13.02%
  • Yes ! (I own 100-500 shares)

40 18.60%
  • Yes ! (I own 500-1000 shares)

16 7.44%
  • Yes ! (I own more than 1000 shares)

97 45.12%
  • Yes ! (I don't want to disclose my #shares)

34 15.81%
    I think people are buying them to take back to that other store where Faucette saw a >100% return rate.
    HAHAHA!
    Shanerredflag and Superfly_FR like this.
    07-04-13 04:43 PM
    You can watch the levels at certain stores as they count down how many they have left. most stores are almost out of z10 and q 10 (at least stores that are competitively priced). No its not scientific, But i watch several of the vendors and they have dropped over the last 3 days by about 100 units collectively from the ones Ive watched. Not a huge move but good sign all the same
    In addition to volume I think you have to watch price decline. If your a vendor and the Z10 is selling well at $149 then you would maintain that price until you captured all of the buyers at this price point. Next you drop it to $99 and then to $49 and then free. The speed of price decline can be very telling of how well the phone is selling. Unfortunately I have not kept tract of this metric.
    07-04-13 04:49 PM
    In addition to volume I think you have to watch price decline. If your a vendor and the Z10 is selling well at $149 then you would maintain that price until you captured all of the buyers at this price point. Next you drop it to $99 and then to $49 and then free. The speed of price decline can be very telling of how well the phone is selling. Unfortunately I have not kept tract of this metric.
    The stores I watch are selling whole sale Factory unlocked GSM at just under 500$ us and Q10s at around 640$
    bungaboy, morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    07-04-13 05:06 PM
    You can watch the levels at certain stores as they count down how many they have left. most stores are almost out of z10 and q 10 (at least stores that are competitively priced). No its not scientific, But i watch several of the vendors and they have dropped over the last 3 days by about 100 units collectively from the ones Ive watched. Not a huge move but good sign all the same
    That is a waste of time. It tells you almost nothing.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-13 05:11 PM
    That is a waste of time. It tells you almost nothing.

Posted via CB10
    It really isnt actually. But hey to each their own opinion
    bungaboy, morganplus8 and dusdal like this.
    07-04-13 05:15 PM
    Just completed a survey on the main page solicited by per Kevin M., who will be attending the AGM. I hope he can voice out some of my concerns and suggestions.

I suggest everyone here does the same.
    Bugmapper likes this.
    07-04-13 05:17 PM
    I think people are buying them to take back to that other store where Faucette saw a >100% return rate.
    200% wasn't it?
    morganplus8 and dusdal like this.
    07-04-13 05:18 PM
    Seems you would do very well. LoL
    Yes, and here it is going to make a lot of noise and heads will fall. They shouldn't be caught. Now they are. It will hurt.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-04-13 05:39 PM
    Depending on where you check and how you can check, those numbers may be useless. I know local Walmart and Target online inventory numbers available to the public are not accurate in the US. I know Amazon and other places amazingly only seem to have 1 or 2of certain items left but when I check back days later, that number is the same. You also don't know how/why they dropped and if they will be restocked. It is really hard unless you can aggregate info.

Of course BBRY could let us all know how it is going, but they won 't.....
    07-04-13 06:13 PM
    Gulp!

Major app vulnerability that could affect 99% of Android devices unearthed

http://thenextweb.com/google/2013/07...droid-devices/
    Last edited by bungaboy; 07-05-13 at 06:33 AM.
    07-04-13 06:49 PM
    BlackBerry Extends Security - Analyst Blog

We believe offering Secure Work Space to iOS and Android devices will not only extend the reach of BlackBerry's security service but will also act as a steady source of income. Furthermore, the expansion of BlackBerry's new security solution will allow BlackBerry to compensate its declining handset business.

Nothing new, but good to see NASDAQ reporting it.

BlackBerry Annual and Special Meeting Webcast Details Released for July 9th - BerryReview

Link to Webcast. (ASM)

BlackBerry 10 reaches the 100,000 app mark, adds Amazon Kindle today

100 000 APPs!

The news regarding Indonesia is quite a bummer, hopefully it won't affect the SP too much.
    07-05-13 12:10 AM
    Good read, whether you would agree or not, IMHO, blackberry fall under this category.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/is-thi...arket-cm257478
    bungaboy, morganplus8 and psy fi like this.
    07-05-13 12:56 AM
    Up 2% in PM.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 05:53 AM
    Samsung missed, but at least they had the decency to warn beforehand.

Also, why is it considered a "special" shareholders meeting this year?
    07-05-13 06:28 AM
    Sammy smarting a bit?

Samsung misses forecast as smartphone worries deepen

Miyoung Kim
    SEOUL — Reuters

Published Friday, Jul. 05 2013, 5:49 AM EDT
    Last updated Friday, Jul. 05 2013, 5:52 AM EDT

Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. missed already modest expectations for its quarterly earnings guidance on Friday, deepening worries that its smartphone business may have peaked, as growth in sales of its blockbuster Galaxy phones begins to wane and new rivals emerge to eat away at its market share.

The Galaxy S, powered by Google’s free Android platform, propelled the South Korean firm into the top rank of smartphone makers in 2012, overtaking Apple Inc. whose iPhone had set an industry standard five years earlier.

Now investors fear Samsung may also follow in the footsteps of Apple and other once-mighty players that are struggling with shrinking margins, in an industry where companies live and die by their ability to stay ahead of the innovation curve.

“Is Samsung’s smartphone story now over? Not quite yet. It’s growth is indeed slowing due largely to disappointing sales of the S4,” said Jung Sang-jin, a fund manager at Dongbu Asset Management, which owns Samsung shares.

“Yet I think Samsung has some exciting stuff up its sleeves. The problem is no one is sure whether these products can really wow investors and consumers.”

The disappointing earnings estimate by Samsung, which has had a track record of beating even the most bullish forecasts, sent its shares down more than 3 per cent on Friday.

They have dropped 17 per cent since early June, hit by a series of brokerage downgrades. The share price reflects concerns about Samsung’s handset margins, with its mobile business generating 70 per cent of the tech giant’s total profit.

The fall in the share price equates to a drop in market value of 39 trillion won ($34-billion U.S.), or worth the combined market capitalization of Sony Corp. and LG Electronics Inc.

“One of the biggest risks for Samsung Electronics going forward is that 70 per cent of total operating profit comes from mobile business. Diversification is key. Samsung needs to engage in active business transition until end-2014,” said Jeff Kim, an analyst at Hyundai Securities.

To be sure, Samsung’s 9.5 trillion won ($8.3-billion) operating profit forecast, up 47 per cent from a year ago, is a record and it is expected to report higher earnings in the current and fourth quarters as sales of its latest Galaxy S4 phone pick up and new products hit the stores. Prices of memory chips, another industry which Samsung holds the lead, are also expected to remain strong.

“Samsung’s got diversified businesses. When one business lags, it’s got others outperforming and propping up the overall profit,” Jung at Dongbu said.

“The component business is widely expected to pick up the slack in the second half when smartphones slow, but now worries are also mounting that the component business’ recovery could be short-lived.”

The guidance, released ahead of full quarterly results due on July 26, was worse than an average forecast of 10.16 trillion won in a poll of 43 analysts by Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.

“I think Samsung spent more on marketing expenses than expected because of the launch of Galaxy S4 smartphone, which led the company’s results to miss the market consensus,” HMC Investment Securities analyst Nho Geun-Chang said.

Samsung spent more on marketing than R&D in 2012 for the first time in at least three years, and the S4 was launched in March with a Broadway-style show in New York.

The company also invested heavily in distribution channels including opening brand shops in 1,400 Best Buy stores in the United States.

But the glitz and glamour has failed to arrest a slide in handset sales growth, and shipments are seen rising only 4 per cent to 8 per cent in the second quarter from the previous quarter.

Handset margins are also being squeezed, as consumers in countries like China – the world’s biggest smartphone market – opt for stripped-down cheaper devices.

Competition is getting intense with Chinese manufacturers such as Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd. and ZTE Corp making ground in the popular mid– to low-end market.

Nokia Oyj, once the handset king, unveiled two back-to-basics 3G phones this week. They allow access to popular applications such as Facebook and Twitter, and sell for just $68.

“There’s still a big uncertainty about how Samsung will respond to the low-end market,” said Brian Park, an analyst at Tong Yang Securities, referring to its plans to launch a device based on the open-source Tizen operating system.

Wearable gadgets will also be crucial to the company’s hopes of riding a new wave of extraordinary profit growth.

Apple has applied for a trademark for “iWatch” in Japan, signaling the iPhone-maker may be moving ahead with plans for a watch-like device as the industry turn its attention to wearable computers.

Samsung has also filed a trademark for “Samsung Gear” in the Untied States for its range of wearable devices.

“The (expected launch of) wearable devices won’t be able to replace Samsung’s smartphone business, but it’s more likely to complement its earnings at best,” said Byun Han-joon, an analyst at KB Investment & Securities.
    morganplus8 and psy fi like this.
    07-05-13 06:29 AM

The name change maybe?
    07-05-13 06:36 AM
    The samsung miss is worrying because it feeds into the data that the mobile sector is going to have a really hard year and a black summer, which in turn makes it harder for the little players like Nokia and BBRY.
    sparkaction likes this.
    07-05-13 07:01 AM
    I wonder if there's more to the Netlix refusing to come on BB10 story. With Crackle being a native app and owned by Sony, maybe BBRY doesn't even want Netflix on their devices. Something seems to be going on behind the scenes with Sony. Especially with their former CEO on BBRY's board and the decision for BBRY to stay out of the Japanese market.

Just thinking out loud here, but there seems to be way too many coincidences.
    07-05-13 07:13 AM
    I know this doesn't look like much but we are likely to open above the downtrend line today setting us up for our reversal:

Introducing ... the StockBerrians !-rim-july-5-2013-chart.jpg

We are grossly oversold here and anything above $ 9.65/shr is a breakout of the downtrend line. In addition, we would be trading above the 3-EMA as well which is the start of a rally. Let's see if we can kick this off knowing the AGM is around the corner and Kevin M is going to represent us there!
    07-05-13 07:30 AM

From the Notice of Meeting: "4. TO CONSIDER a special resolution to change the Company’s name from Research In Motion Limited to BlackBerry Limited; "
    bungaboy, dusdal and Tinomane like this.
    07-05-13 07:46 AM
    I wonder if there's more to the Netlix refusing to come on BB10 story. With Crackle being a native app and owned by Sony, maybe BBRY doesn't even want Netflix on their devices. Something seems to be going on behind the scenes with Sony. Especially with their former CEO on BBRY's board and the decision for BBRY to stay out of the Japanese market.

Just thinking out loud here, but there seems to be way too many coincidences.
    BBRY would be foolish to purposefully NOT want Netflix. If that is the case, whoever made that decision should be sacked immediately. Never even heard of Crackle, I am sure that is my ignorance, but I bet I am not alone.
    07-05-13 08:03 AM
    Don't know whether to buy more LEAPS today or wait and see if Thor will do his usual foot in mouth show at the AGM.
    07-05-13 08:04 AM
    "Buy at the point of maximum pessimism". How does everyone feel?
    If you are still optimistic, the price may go down further.I wonder if there is a way to measure pessimism?
    07-05-13 08:31 AM
    "Buy at the point of maximum pessimism". How does everyone feel?
    If you are still optimistic, the price may go down further.I wonder if there is a way to measure pessimism?
    Easiest way to is to look at the "I support BBRY thread" the last week or so. Can't get more pessimistic than that lol.
    07-05-13 08:34 AM
    The only hope I have for this stock is the potential revenue from securing other devices. On the product sales side, it looks kinda dim to me.
    07-05-13 08:35 AM
535 ... 910111213 ...