View Poll Results: Are you a StockBerrian ?

Voters
215. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes ! (I own 100 or less shares)

28 13.02%
  • Yes ! (I own 100-500 shares)

40 18.60%
  • Yes ! (I own 500-1000 shares)

16 7.44%
  • Yes ! (I own more than 1000 shares)

97 45.12%
  • Yes ! (I don't want to disclose my #shares)

34 15.81%
    Awesome idea!!!
    Superfly_FR and bungaboy like this.
    03-16-13 05:25 PM
    I'm in! I'll bring cigars!
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-16-13 07:47 PM
    You'll need to open up a trading account at either your bank, with a financial planner, or at some online brokerage. There are tons to choose from so do your research as to what way you want to go. I personally go through my bank and it cost's more than, say, E-Trade but I like the convenience and I'm not making multiple trades a day or week.. or month for that matter. If I were, I'd be going somewhere else to save on fees. I hope this was at least a bit of help.
    Yes! Thank you so much, going to the bank is best for me, thanks so much
    cjcampbell likes this.
    03-16-13 08:12 PM
    Please note that the people here are already committed to Blackberry's comeback plan and have researched the company, and all the risks involved in owning the stock. We are not encouraging others to buy the stock (or sell it for that matter!). Buying shares in a company is not an excuse to party - it is very risky. We are doing the opposite. We are planning a possible victory party for shares we have already committed to purchasing or have purchased. All StockBerrians (current and future) are welcome but BEWARE! Make your own decisions and take the advice of seasoned financial planners, and prepare to lose everything you invest! (I've been there and it ain't no fun). If you can't afford to lose it - don't risk it. Many very powerful and rich people are betting against us!

Having said that - welcome and best of luck with your investments.
    (Wow, was that a downer or what?)
    It doesn't hurt to be a realist. I was planning on seeing what a couple of hundred would buy me. Nothing major. Thanks
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-16-13 08:18 PM
    I am with scotiabank and I use Scotia itrade. I like it. Took a few days to get up and running.
    Do a little research, talk to your bank, do a little more research, then decide.

Edit: Bugmapper makes a lot of sence. He isn't trying to scare you away, he's just making you aware.
    Thank you Dragonflyer I bank at Scotiabank so will discuss it with our guy there.
    DragonFlyer likes this.
    03-16-13 08:22 PM
    Thanks to all who gave me advice, I have been interested in buying stock for a few years but wasn't sure how to stick my toes in the water - now I have a starting point.
    bungaboy and Markymark 23 like this.
    03-16-13 08:25 PM
    Thanks to all who gave me advice, I have been interested in buying stock for a few years but wasn't sure how to stick my toes in the water - now I have a starting point.
    Most of us started that way. I too use my bank contact for every operation. may not be the most optimized way, but probably the easiest.
    So; welcome !
    03-16-13 08:28 PM
    Most of us started that way. I too use my bank contact for every operation. may not be the most optimized way, but probably the easiest.
    So; welcome !
    (grin) easy that's the key word right now - thanks again.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-16-13 08:38 PM
    So; welcome !
    I see you couldn't sleep.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    03-16-13 09:49 PM
    Thank you Dragonflyer I bank at Scotiabank so will discuss it with our guy there.
    I have found Scotiabank to be very helpful.
    My advice to you is to set up an appointment with a financial advisor at your branch.
    The rest of this post is not advice ( no matter how it sounds ), it is just points to bring up at your appointment.
    1. Tax Free Savings Account (TFSA) Maximum contribution is 25,500 now and increases every year. I use this to invest in BlackBerry and a couple other stocks. I have done a lot of research in these companies and feel confident that there is a low risk to long term downside, but a good chance for huge gains to the upside. Profits from Canadian stocks are 100% tax free when invested this way.
    2. TFSA vs. RRSP. I find the TFSA a very important thing to take advantage of. RRSP is good for reducing your taxable income and definitely should be utilized years when you have higher than normal income. But remember you will still get taxed on this income when you withdraw it. In Canada we are entitled to social benefits when we retire. If we are recieving a high income from our RRSPs those benefits all but disappear. If we take a small amount of income from RRSPs and supplement it with money from our TFSA and other savings then we can still take advantage of the social benefits that we spent our whole adult life contributing into. I contribute to both TFSA and RRSP.
    3. I have never used Scotiabank directly to invest in the stock market. No reason, just never researched that option. Ask about all the different types of fees for making trades, it's never free. Research stop limits and buy limits.
    4. I use Scotia iTRADE. This is what works for me, but definitely not for everyone. I like that I can make trades happen with the click of the mouse or the tap of the screen on my BlackBerry. I find the fees are to expensive if I don't have more than $50,000 in the account. There is a nice little work around for this for some people. RRSPs that most people have in mutual funds can be transfered into iTRADE and still remain in those mutual funds.
    5. I use my RRSPs to invest in Low Risk, Low Reward stocks
    I use my TFSA to invest in Low Risk, High Reward stocks
    I use my Cash to invest in High Risk, High Reward stocks
    I only share this with you to give you an idea of the type of person that is posting this information. I consider myself as more of an investor and less of a trader.
    6. Remember this is not advice. It's just the opinion of a dog with cool sunglasses.
    03-17-13 01:30 AM
    82 StockBerrians (estimated # of shares around 90,000) !
    I'm pretty impressed, didn't expected the "more than 1K shares" to be leading.

Will we hit over 100,000 shares with 100 StockBerrians ?
    bungaboy and DragonFlyer like this.
    03-17-13 04:08 AM
    82 StockBerrians (estimated # of shares around 90,000) !
    I'm pretty impressed, didn't expected the "more than 1K shares" to be leading.

Will we hit over 100,000 shares with 100 StockBerrians ?
    Combined, we're getting up there with the bigger players. With a planned and combined effort, we could now influence this thing
    03-17-13 07:27 AM
    I have 100-500 actual shares (I think). But i control way more than that through call options.
    03-17-13 10:19 AM
    I hear Carnival Cruise lines have some cheap destination cruises available. The destination may be the middle of the ocean. Also BYOB (bring your own bathroom).
    bungaboy and fedakd like this.
    03-17-13 10:55 AM
    Combined, we're getting up there with the bigger players. With a planned and combined effort, we could now influence this thing
    CJ, that's not our goal, we do not - beside the fact most of us are long - play with the "lobbying" thing here.
    It's interesting (and, I must say amazingly more than I thought), but each of us still remain totally free and responsible of his/her acts.
    We must absolutely keep this line of conduct; no manipulation, no trick : just the (potential) reward of a fair investment.

P.S: Also keep in mind that these 100,000 are a drop in the ... bath ?

P.S(2) : 3 to go before 100 StockBerrians !
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-17-13 10:58 AM
    I hear Carnival Cruise lines have some cheap destination cruises available. The destination may be the middle of the ocean. Also BYOB (bring your own bathroom).
    Lucky you, looks like you won't cruise on these lines
    03-17-13 11:03 AM
    We could never coordinate fast enough to have any effect anyway.
    03-17-13 11:07 AM
    We could never coordinate fast enough to have any effect anyway.
    More: if we do try to coordinate on a public forum, we're instant dead. But once again, this is not the point.
    "We" are not traders, but investors (long). Maneuvers are for the shorts, "we" are not.

P.S: I use the term "we" in a general meaning, once again each individual is free to do ... wait a minute : would you dare shorting HERE ?
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 03-17-13 at 01:14 PM.
    03-17-13 12:44 PM
    hey stockberrians, off topic but check out my app let me know what you think
    BlackBerry World - EGO Magazine Online (v1)
    EGO Magazine online, maybe i'll do an article about the stockberrians soon!

Thread is here http://forums.crackberry.com/app-ann...6/#post8143915
    Last edited by erodenero; 03-17-13 at 04:11 PM.
    03-17-13 04:01 PM
    P.S: I use the term "we" in a general meaning, once again each individual is free to do ... wait a minute : would you dare shorting HERE ?
    Oh no... You've detected my true motives!!! .
    03-17-13 04:17 PM
    hey stockberrians, off topic but check out my app let me know what you think
    BlackBerry World - EGO Magazine Online (v1)
    EGO Magazine online, maybe i'll do an article about the stockberrians soon!

Thread is here http://forums.crackberry.com/app-ann...6/#post8143915
    Dl in progress ! A little late now for a review, but I'll see that tomorrow !

Posted via CB10
    erodenero likes this.
    03-17-13 05:10 PM
    Introducing ... the StockBerrians !-img_00000100.jpg
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    03-17-13 07:27 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000100.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	141983
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    A "ton"!
    03-17-13 07:40 PM
    Assuming each person voting has only the minimum for each range shown (e.g. 1 share for the first 17, 100 shares for the second, etc), and assuming the distribution of the 17 "shy" people mirrors the broader distribution, we're up to a minimum of 59,900 shares in there.

For what it's worth.

Which is exactly nothing, actually...
    Superfly_FR and bungaboy like this.
    03-17-13 07:59 PM
    Assuming each person voting has only the minimum for each range shown (e.g. 1 share for the first 17, 100 shares for the second, etc), and assuming the distribution of the 17 "shy" people mirrors the broader distribution, we're up to a minimum of 59,900 shares in there.

For what it's worth.

Which is exactly nothing, actually...
    But it is false to assume the minimum, therefore we may have 100,000 shares! (which is still nothing).

Posted via CB10 on a BLACK Z10!
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    03-17-13 08:22 PM
535 12345 ...