It looks like Windows Phone 8 is moving to undermine one of BlackBerry's major marketing advantages. Windows Phone 8 now has FIPS 140-2 certification. Apparently, it does not (yet) have certification to run on the US Department of Defense's secure networks. Nevertheless, I can hear the Microsoft marketing department trumpeting this already.

Windows Phone 8 is deemed secure by the US and Canadian governments- The Inquirer
    09-19-13 02:45 PM
    Almost all OSes from the major companies has been "deemed" secure
    Doesn't mean people will start using them. WP8.....it's a lost cause. I haven't seen one all month
    DoD is where it is at now. No one else can do what BB can. WP8, being a dumbed down version of W8 itself means it is susceptible to all the viruses too......hmmm, not sure how well that will float with the government
    09-19-13 02:50 PM
    Maybe the President won't be using WP8 devcie.... but I see a LOT of BlackBerry's enterprise customers moving to this platform.

As for seeing them.... I look real hard for other Z10 and maybe a Q10 when I'm around others. Have yet to see any BB10 devices in the wild in the last four months. But I have seen a number of WP devices - don't know what OS version, but they were colorful and had those unmistakable live tiles.
    09-19-13 02:57 PM
    This is not what you think. This only means that phone is capable of caring sensitive information.
    It has an *option* to send, receive and store encrypted information.
    09-19-13 03:12 PM
    Maybe the President won't be using WP8 devcie.... but I see a LOT of BlackBerry's enterprise customers moving to this platform.

As for seeing them.... I look real hard for other Z10 and maybe a Q10 when I'm around others. Have yet to see any BB10 devices in the wild in the last four months. But I have seen a number of WP devices - don't know what OS version, but they were colorful and had those unmistakable live tiles.
    Maybe down sounth in the States, but hey, we already knew that they were a bit weird didn't we :P
    JK
    I'm not sure about in the States, but in Canada and Europe, WP8 is negligible. The market of US is slightly different from the rest of the world. And taken into consideration that soon China and the middle east will become larger markets than US, I think US isn't a good indication of what the world will be phone wise
    Anubhav Nagpal likes this.
    09-19-13 03:29 PM
    Doesn't mean people will start using them. WP8.....it's a lost cause. I haven't seen one all month
    DoD is where it is at now. No one else can do what BB can. WP8, being a dumbed down version of W8 itself means it is susceptible to all the viruses too......hmmm, not sure how well that will float with the government
    Every single computer I ever used in a 22 year Army career ran M$ products. The seamless connectivity with WP8 should at least be explored.
    09-19-13 03:48 PM
    Maybe down sounth in the States, but hey, we already knew that they were a bit weird didn't we :P
    JK
    I'm not sure about in the States, but in Canada and Europe, WP8 is negligible. The market of US is slightly different from the rest of the world. And taken into consideration that soon China and the middle east will become larger markets than US, I think US isn't a good indication of what the world will be phone wise
    Inquirer: "Windows Phone 8 is deemed secure by the US and Canadian governments"-idc.png

Not sure what planet you are on. But WP is doing better the BlackBerry... both are pretty much negligible at this point, but MS is growing.

And I'm simply saying that MS is already in many enterprise setting, and is capable of providing Mobile Computing TODAY.
    kfh227 and amazinglygraceless like this.
    09-19-13 04:15 PM
    That's a lot of ignorance in one post.
    09-19-13 04:35 PM
    I read an article that stated that NASA has stopped using all Windows 8 as it has a know back door entrance for the NSA and that since its there any potential hackers/spies could find it and access all of NASA through the back door that Windows has built for the NSA.

So yah, can't wait to see governments line up to use this..
    09-19-13 05:38 PM
    I read an article that stated that NASA has stopped using all Windows 8 as it has a know back door entrance for the NSA and that since its there any potential hackers/spies could find it and access all of NASA through the back door that Windows has built for the NSA.

A government agency not wanting to be spied on by a government agency?
    raino likes this.
    09-19-13 05:44 PM
    A government agency not wanting to be spied on by a government agency?
    You know the spying agency is bad when...
    danprown likes this.
    09-19-13 05:47 PM

NASA uses Linux on the ISS. They do so due to the ability to patch Debian Linux at their rate, not M$'. There is no nefarious reason.

Further, NASA uses many OS's. Including Windows. From what I've been able to find out, they still use a lot of Windows XP. Probably the best OS that M$ ever built.
    09-19-13 08:25 PM
    This is not what you think. This only means that phone is capable of caring sensitive information.
    It has an *option* to send, receive and store encrypted information.
    Doesn't even mean that. All FIPS 140-2 certification means is that the device/software/appliance was submitted and verified to have a valid encryption engine with the accepted encryption algorithms for use by the US Federal government.

Seriously, that's it.
    09-19-13 08:42 PM
    I'm actually shocked you even say WP get viruses. according to sources WP is the most malware free and virus free OS on the market. ALL apps are checked before they get into the store.

sir make sure you think before you say something that is completely false

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 09:02 PM
    according to sources WP is the most malware free and virus free OS on the market.
    Source?
    09-19-13 09:29 PM
    Source?
    Microsoft Details How They Guard Against Malware On Windows Phone | Ubergizmo

WP has only 0.3 malware while other sources say that BB has 0.4-0.5 . MS does take malware seriously. I mean very seriously.
    09-19-13 09:38 PM

WP has only 0.3 malware while other sources say that BB has 0.4-0.5 . MS does take malware seriously. I mean very seriously.
    I was actually hoping for a source that says it is the most malware/virus free. I have read that report. BB is at 0.3% as well. Can you show me where it says BB is at 0.4-0.5%, or that WP has a lower percentage of malware than BB?
    09-19-13 10:02 PM
    Did he just quote the inquirer? Aren't those the same folks who captured batboy?

Posted via CB from my LE
    09-19-13 10:13 PM

I doubt that without seeing the numbers myself. Apps they have tested on my behalf are the same as the blackberry team. It's virtually identical.

They did t check for malware or communication. They made sure it ran and that's it as far as I can tell.

Posted via CB from my LE
    cjcampbell likes this.
    09-19-13 10:15 PM

That actually is Windows Mobile numbers. Small market share x closed OS means virtually no malware.
    09-20-13 08:49 AM
    That actually is Windows Mobile numbers. Small market share x closed OS means virtually no malware.
    I think that's just poor editing/summarizing on the part of the article author.

Follow the link to the actual article and you'll see they're specifically talking about WP 7 & 8 and the Windows Phone Store.
    09-20-13 09:59 AM

Follow the link to the actual article and you'll see they're specifically talking about WP 7 & 8 and the Windows Phone Store.
    If you go to the original source you can see its Windows Mobile.
    Inquirer: "Windows Phone 8 is deemed secure by the US and Canadian governments"-malware.jpg
    Study Finds 79% Of Malware Targets Android Devices, 0.7% For iOS | Ubergizmo
    09-20-13 11:45 AM
    The only issue there is trusting the government to accurately detect malware. And that the % allocated can be swung many different ways depending on how you want to calculate it.

What I do know is they say iOS is 0.7. When I know for a fact there are thousands of free games and applications being made in China by a group of people. They sit dormant for 1 year and then process thousands of micro in app purchases for apps you don't have installed.

How that can compare to their Microsoft and BlackBerry numbers, who knows.

Interesting study though. But I just personally don't but into these all that much - too many factors and we all know there is a study saying the opposite just around the corner

Posted via CB from my LE
    09-20-13 12:38 PM

No, you are wrong. There are mention Windows Mobile and Windows Phone separately. And WP8 is the safest.
    09-20-13 12:57 PM
    And WP8 is the safest.
    Again, I'd like to see a source for this.
    09-20-13 02:51 PM