what would you do?
    08-27-13 08:31 PM
    Smoke a cigarette, get drunk, pass out. You know, the usual. Thanks for asking.
    08-27-13 08:33 PM
    Last year Watsa said that bbry would take 3 years to turn around. I don't think he would bail now.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 08:56 PM
    Last year Watsa said that bbry would take 3 years to turn around. I don't think he would bail now.

Posted via CB10
    Unless the first step was so bad, he sees no choice. He is responsible to his own share holders, not BBRY.
    08-28-13 08:19 AM
    Thanks for inviting the rest of us... Jerk.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-13 12:26 PM
    Thanks for inviting the rest of us... Jerk.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think he can afford to!

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 4
    08-28-13 12:41 PM
    Didn't he state when he stepped down from the board that he was not selling any shares and it was to avoid a conflict of interest? He won't be completely bailing.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-13 01:41 PM

Posted via CB10
    No one creates a multi year plan and stick to it (except for Mike and Jim)! You adjust as internal and external forces change the parameters of your original plan.

Three years ago very few people really taught that after launching the BB10 platform that sales would be as bad as they "appear" to be.

And I don't think he has any plans of bailing now, just that I'm not sure his plans included a whole BlackBerry either. Buy the company cheap, sell the pieces at a premium... and HE comes out good - or at least minimizes his loses.
    Etios and JeepBB like this.
    08-28-13 01:56 PM
    And I don't think he has any plans of bailing now, just that I'm not sure his plans included a whole BlackBerry either. Buy the company cheap, sell the pieces at a premium... and HE comes out good - or at least minimizes his loses.
    Yes, I read somewhere that he is about $400 million underwater on his BBRY position. Of course, no one knows but him and his accountant, but if that's true, he should be able to realize at least that much value out of the breakup of the firm, should he get control of it.

I highly doubt that PW has some sort of passion for Blackberry handsets. He's not going to try to hold the company together because it makes him feel warm and fuzzy. As someone said, he has a responsibility to his investors.
    08-29-13 03:38 AM

Three years ago very few people really taught that after launching the BB10 platform that sales would be as bad as they "appear" to be.
    I would disagree here.

Three years ago, very few people thought that BB10 would be released at all.

Popular opinion seemed to be that they would burn through what cash they had before they were able to launch.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-13 08:54 AM
    Fairfax financial is losing money. IMO Premier Watsa stepped down from the bod because he will start shorting BlackBerry stock and doesn't want to be accused of insider trading.

Posted via CB10
    1stTry likes this.
    09-02-13 11:58 AM
    Off topic, but this reminded me too much of:

danprown likes this.
    09-02-13 01:53 PM
    Fairfax financial is losing money. IMO Premier Watsa stepped down from the bod because he will start shorting BlackBerry stock and doesn't want to be accused of insider trading.

Posted via CB10
    Prem Watsa is a respectable man. That's an unfounded claim.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-13 01:57 PM
    So respectable people don't try to make money? Or make up loses on poorly performing investments?
    09-02-13 01:59 PM
    So respectable people don't try to make money? Or make up loses on poorly performing investments?
    He isn't a scoundrel. And shorts are scoundrels.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-13 02:06 PM
    He isn't a scoundrel. And shorts are scoundrels.

Posted via CB10
    do you knowhim on a personal level?if not you have no right to say such thing, you con't need to be a scoundrel to short a stock, you are playing the game to make money just like any other investor
    09-02-13 02:16 PM
    do you knowhim on a personal level?if not you have no right to say such thing, you con't need to be a scoundrel to short a stock, you are playing the game to make money just like any other investor
    Shorts make up lies about bbry to manipulate it. We have 68m users. 3b cash. Qnx. Patents. And we are trading at below cost. Prem is a Canadian treasure. The buffey of the north

Posted via CB10
    09-02-13 02:23 PM
    Shorts make up lies about bbry to manipulate it. We have 68m users. 3b cash. Qnx. Patents. And we are trading at below cost. Prem is a Canadian treasure. The buffey of the north

Posted via CB10
    clearly the shorts are not making up stories about BBRY since news that we heard at the last earnings report. their stories were obviously true and they played the games smartly by shorting the stock.

i am a BBRY investor and i've lost a few thousand betting wrong atleast as of now i have who knows what the future brings, but the truth is we have no right to say shorts are making up stories becasue the way it looks is they were right and those "made up" stories were right.

is blackberry a dying bread, i thoughts are no they have to many strong suits but they have one weakness and that is getting the better of them, they need to push their products they need to advertise them, they need to show what they can do rather then worry about saving money and cutting costs. they need the sales they need to show that they can compete they are failing from a sales standpointand they need to hire a new sales team
    Kid Vibe and jgrobertson like this.
    09-02-13 02:52 PM
    Sigh...
    09-06-13 10:11 PM
    is blackberry a dying bread, i thoughts are no they have to many strong suits but they have one weakness and that is getting the better of them, they need to push their products they need to advertise them, they need to show what they can do rather then worry about saving money and cutting costs. they need the sales they need to show that they can compete they are failing from a sales standpointand they need to hire a new sales team
    I could not agree more with this statement. My casual inquiries in stores and among acquaintances is that nobody knows much about the new Blackberry line and most don't know there is a new line. When I say the word Blackberry, most think I have a 3 to 5 year old device that is completely out of date. Some think Blackberry has gone out of business.

When I show people my Z10 and point out some of its features, many are both very surprised and favorably impressed. This even happened with an Apple salesman and a Sony salesman. The fact is that the Z10 has some very good technology and does have some compelling reasons to buy. Nobody knows and few in the stores know or care.

Balance is the one thing that gets a lot of interest. Having the high security for those in sensitive jobs combined with having their personal stuff on the same device is a big selling point. The excellent browser is another. With this browser it is not necessary really to have specific applications for stores etc as it does just fine with their generic web site. The great keyboard and text entry/editing process is another good feature. But nobody knows. The games and social applications are not quite there but pretty good. These probably matter less to those over about age 25. The graphic engine is great. The specs are good but not up to the latest and in the consumer market that matters.

If Blackberry started an aggressive and effective sales and marketing plan right now they still have a chance it seems to me. They have already dumped the sales VP. Probably the best way to get the changes necessary to bet Blackberry into the US consumer market is for it to be bought by a company that can fill the gaps in the Blackberry culture and management structure and at the same time give businesses reason to have confidence that Blackberry services and infrastructure will be around for a long time.
    Kid Vibe likes this.
    09-07-13 11:39 AM
    I could not agree more with this statement. My casual inquiries in stores and among acquaintances is that nobody knows much about the new Blackberry line and most don't know there is a new line. When I say the word Blackberry, most think I have a 3 to 5 year old device that is completely out of date. Some think Blackberry has gone out of business.

When I show people my Z10 and point out some of its features, many are both very surprised and favorably impressed. This even happened with an Apple salesman and a Sony salesman. The fact is that the Z10 has some very good technology and does have some compelling reasons to buy. Nobody knows and few in the stores know or care.

Balance is the one thing that gets a lot of interest. Having the high security for those in sensitive jobs combined with having their personal stuff on the same device is a big selling point. The excellent browser is another. With this browser it is not necessary really to have specific applications for stores etc as it does just fine with their generic web site. The great keyboard and text entry/editing process is another good feature. But nobody knows. The games and social applications are not quite there but pretty good. These probably matter less to those over about age 25. The graphic engine is great. The specs are good but not up to the latest and in the consumer market that matters.

If Blackberry started an aggressive and effective sales and marketing plan right now they still have a chance it seems to me. They have already dumped the sales VP. Probably the best way to get the changes necessary to bet Blackberry into the US consumer market is for it to be bought by a company that can fill the gaps in the Blackberry culture and management structure and at the same time give businesses reason to have confidence that Blackberry services and infrastructure will be around for a long time.
    And this is why, they need a partnership... Samsung where you at?
    09-07-13 05:58 PM