9 doesn't sound like a lot for a billion+ dollar company. you have to add the iPads & iPods and it bumps up the number but it's fathomable. just sounds lazy that if for the reason of simplicity, companies don't offer more variation. IMHO the Z10 should have came in no less than 32GB and should have had at least a 64GB option like the PlayBook.
    Plus different models for US carriers, EMEA, China, etc. due to different bandwidths. SKUs add up really quickly. You also run the risk of inventory buildup of poor selling colors, models, etc. the more options offered. Paradox of choice.

That's why I really like the snap-off Lumia shell � have one basic frame and interchangeable back plates. I wish Nokia took advantage of it for offering more colors or patterns. It is also a feature I can see being attractive to 3rd party vendors as a customizing option once WP gains bigger share and the 3rd party accessories market gathers steam. While not a direct advantage for the phone maker, a vibrant accessories market is a huge draw. Perhaps BBRY can offer something similar, although the lack of such on existing phones makes me wonder if it isn't cost effective.

Now, for mind boggling, multiply all the above SKUs by, well, EVERYTHING for Samsung
    01-01-14 10:12 PM
    ha, they sell the z10 that cant even do use bb10 to its fullest. I would be a little surprised not to see FFC but they have to cut costs somewhere so FFC might be one of those, BBM video might not work but you still have BBM voice. I dont know how healthy the cell network is over there to even use BBM video
    You can use WiFi too, no need to rely on cellular data.
    01-01-14 10:52 PM
    So true.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    01-01-14 11:17 PM
    ever visited a country in an emerging market? you'll see that wifi is not a huge improvement to the cellular speeds. i feel the same problems with connectivity for video chat, etc will still be present. in fact, they are- i know this from personal experience.
    01-02-14 01:47 AM
    Just look at CB bbm general froum.
    iam tray speedtest.net Telkomsel down 0.80MB in 3G.. coz mybe that or server bbm is down?.. any one help me pliszzz,,
    iam dont like use skype... very lag and not good qualty
    The network dictate the type of handsets (hardware) and app (software). You can buy a handset over the counter, but infrastructure up grade will take month if not years. Higher memory without proper support of right infrastructure is immaterial.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 05:45 AM
    I agree with the OP. Blackberry should think of making devices with more storage if they want the idea of mobile computing to catch on. I think we should now be talking about storage in the ranges of 500MB or more. That to me will be innovation.
    01-02-14 07:53 AM
    If BB was General Motors, and had announced they were making a cheap, feature-limited Chevy for the Indonesian and Malaysian markets, some folks here would be talking about how they should have heated leather seats, in-dash Blu-Ray with 9-speaker sound, and a 500 hp engine AT LEAST.

It just shows that some people don't understand what an emerging market is, because they've never seen anything but a mature Western market. In many of these countries, there are lots of poor people who make a year what the average American makes in a month, and sometimes much less. (Yes, there are middle and upper-classes too, but these are far smaller groups in these countries, and it's the masses that we're targeting.) These people have very little money to spend on a phone, and $150 may be an entire month's salary or more. To get a phone down to the price-point that a majority of them can afford, you are going to see hardware choices that come in below the level of the Z10, including omitting several features entirely, because those features don't add a lot of value in that market compared to their cost.

I've said this before: people in Western markets are NOT going to want a Jakarta phone, anymore than they'd want an entry-level Android phone, of the type that sells for $79 outright. Western expectations are simply too high for many to accept such a phone here. But for a lot of people in those markets, those phones are miles better than what they had before, and get them the ability to communicate and use apps that they simply had no access to before. The ones that can afford it will buy a Z10, but most will happily give up HDMI out, 8 GB of storage, and a front camera in order to get a phone they can afford, because the Z10 is way outside of their reach. Jakarta is for them, not for the West.
    extisis and goku_vegeta like this.
    01-02-14 01:26 PM
    If BB was General Motors, and had announced they were making a cheap, feature-limited Chevy for the Indonesian and Malaysian markets, some folks here would be talking about how they should have heated leather seats, in-dash Blu-Ray with 9-speaker sound, and a 500 hp engine AT LEAST.

It just shows that some people don't understand what an emerging market is, because they've never seen anything but a mature Western market. In many of these countries, there are lots of poor people who make a year what the average American makes in a month, and sometimes much less. (Yes, there are middle and upper-classes too, but these are far smaller groups in these countries, and it's the masses that we're targeting.) These people have very little money to spend on a phone, and $150 may be an entire month's salary or more. To get a phone down to the price-point that a majority of them can afford, you are going to see hardware choices that come in below the level of the Z10, including omitting several features entirely, because those features don't add a lot of value in that market compared to their cost.

I've said this before: people in Western markets are NOT going to want a Jakarta phone, anymore than they'd want an entry-level Android phone, of the type that sells for $79 outright. Western expectations are simply too high for many to accept such a phone here. But for a lot of people in those markets, those phones are miles better than what they had before, and get them the ability to communicate and use apps that they simply had no access to before. The ones that can afford it will buy a Z10, but most will happily give up HDMI out, 8 GB of storage, and a front camera in order to get a phone they can afford, because the Z10 is way outside of their reach. Jakarta is for them, not for the West.
    What you have said makes sense. However, can you say with certainty that BlackBerry wasn't "cost inefficient" with their production costs? We don't know what it cost BlackBerry to buy the HDMI, storage etc components. Its more likely that Foxconn will be very "cost efficient" with their production costs of the phones. We all know what economies of scale does to production costs.
    01-02-14 02:48 PM

Not exactly true. Some will want what they can not afford. The kidney story for iPhone, 5s sold better the 5c. It is the perception of value and status association count, not just functionality of good enough. (emotional attachment tramps logic).

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt likes this.
    01-02-14 03:03 PM
    +10 on this thread. Right now, having more space on my perpetually "out of space Z10" is of greater interest than a 1080p screen which my eyes will not discern the details on a 4.5" area.
    01-02-14 03:21 PM
    The 9982 also costs $1000 more..

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 03:34 PM
    Hopefully the recent collaboration with Foxconn will eliminate this internal storage limitations. I hope Jakarta sports minimun 32GB.
    Unlikely. The Jakarta is aimed lower-income markets, not those in the West. High capacity phones don't even sell that well in developed countries. Samsung actually has a 64GB model of the GSIV, but North American carriers only make the 16GB versions available because the wholesale cost of a 64GB device isn't worth it when the majority of consumers go for the cheapest option.

Apple is the only manufacturer that sells in these quantities and that's because they own their own retail network, and the established success of the iPhone means that they can strong-arm carriers into buying a minimum volume of 64GB iPhones when negotiating deals.
    01-02-14 03:54 PM
    The 9982 also costs $1000 more..

Posted via CB10
    but not because of the drive space. probably not at all. just the name/brand costs you that much.
    wincyUt likes this.
    01-02-14 05:32 PM
38 12