Just curious. Is it due to technical reasons or cost factor or what???

There are so many "common sense" things that BlackBerry should or ought to be doing in order to have an edge over the competitors.
    11-21-13 02:03 PM
    They could i guess but with a SD card slot you can add money for cheap. BB would charge more for the memory amounts like other manufactures. google chargers $50 more for 16 GBs and I think apple charges $100 for each 16gb. BUT both the nexus and iphone do not have SD slots so people will pay it. I did for both my nexus 5's that I bought and it was worth the $50 upgrade on each. I wouldnt pay for the upgrade from BB device though since I have plenty of SD cards that i purchased for far less than $50 even

Bottom line I dont think it makes BB more sales by making a move like this so there is no need to do it
    Superfly_FR and TGR1 like this.
    11-21-13 02:07 PM
    The only problem with what you said is that, that are a lot apps these days that require over 500MB. So 16GB internal storage is no longer effective for many gamers out there. I was thinking that least BlackBerry ramps up the internal storage to 32GB with the same option for the expandable Micro SD card, up to 64GB, without changing the retail price of the phones.
    BlackBerry can't afford to be offering same things as the competitors and some how expect to miraculously catch up with the competition, don't you agree?

They could i guess but with a SD card slot you can add money for cheap. BB would charge more for the memory amounts like other manufactures. google chargers $50 more for 16 GBs and I think apple charges $100 for each 16gb. BUT both the nexus and iphone do not have SD slots so people will pay it. I did for both my nexus 5's that I bought and it was worth the $50 upgrade on each. I wouldnt pay for the upgrade from BB device though since I have plenty of SD cards that i purchased for far less than $50 even

Bottom line I dont think it makes BB more sales by making a move like this so there is no need to do it
    11-21-13 02:48 PM
    Upping internal memory isnt going to sell the phones over the competition especially when you dont have the app/games to fill up that memory anyway. I am sure BB can do it and keep the price the same as memory isnt that much really but its not going to magically increase sales by 50% either.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-22-13 10:57 AM
    BlackBerry can't afford to be offering same things as the competitors and some how expect to miraculously catch up with the competition, don't you agree?
    Agree! That have to do something different or at least better. That said, hardware is a tough area for them to compete in. The don't have the scale that even Motorola or HTC has.... much less Apple (who is not competing on hardware) and Samsung. It will cost them more to add better hardware than the "other" guys and then they really need to sell it for less. Hard to stay in business that way.

Software or Services was where they needed to be different.... too bad they weren't able to do it for consumers.
    11-22-13 01:08 PM
    It's just easier to have just one storage size so it's easier to keep track of inventory. Think of the iphone 5S three colors and three different storage sizes, thats nine different variants of the same phone to build, ship and keep track of. As for going with a 16 over a 32 or 64 GB storage that is likely due to cost.

Sent from my Q10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-22-13 10:34 PM
    So is or are there any way out of Blackberry's quagmire ?

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 08:13 AM
    I'm using a 64gb card in my Z10. Doesn't format on the 10.2.1.1055 leak, had to format on 10.2.0.x. Should be fixed for official release.

Only problem is once I formatted it on the phone, Windows can't recognize it.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 09:54 AM
    Hopefully the recent collaboration with Foxconn will eliminate this internal storage limitations. I hope Jakarta sports minimun 32GB.
    12-31-13 11:00 AM
    Jakarta is more likely to sport 8 GB of storage. Remember this is to be an ultra-low-budget phone, that has to compete with $70 dual-core, 512MB RAM, 4.2" screen Android Jelly Bean phones, so expect it to have a low-end camera on the back, probably no front camera, a small, lower-quality screen at 1280x720 resolution, and a small amount of storage. And no HDMI output. They need to get the price down as low as possible for those markets.

Jakarta isn't intended for mature markets, and I doubt you'd want one, but in emerging markets, the expectations are lower because the price-points have to be lower for most people to be able to afford them.
    12-31-13 11:07 PM
    Jakarta is more likely to sport 8 GB of storage. Remember this is to be an ultra-low-budget phone, that has to compete with $70 dual-core, 512MB RAM, 4.2" screen Android Jelly Bean phones, so expect it to have a low-end camera on the back, probably no front camera, a small, lower-quality screen at 1280x720 resolution, and a small amount of storage. And no HDMI output. They need to get the price down as low as possible for those markets.

Jakarta isn't intended for mature markets, and I doubt you'd want one, but in emerging markets, the expectations are lower because the price-points have to be lower for most people to be able to afford them.
    There will be a front camera without any doubt because of BBM, and the rear camera will be same as the one on current BlackBerry 10 device since a Z10 can be bought for the price of a lumia 625.

Posted via BlackBerry Z30
    12-31-13 11:19 PM

A BB10 phone without a front camera doesn't make sense. You forgot about BBM Video.
    BlackBerry wouldn't sell a phone that will not take full advantage of BlackBerry 10's capabilities.

Channel for BlackBerry users in India :- C004A271F
    12-31-13 11:21 PM
    A BB10 phone without a front camera doesn't make sense. You forgot about BBM Video.
    BlackBerry wouldn't sell a phone that will not take full advantage of BlackBerry 10's capabilities.

ha, they sell the z10 that cant even do use bb10 to its fullest. I would be a little surprised not to see FFC but they have to cut costs somewhere so FFC might be one of those, BBM video might not work but you still have BBM voice. I dont know how healthy the cell network is over there to even use BBM video
    FrankIAm likes this.
    12-31-13 11:36 PM
    I believe the Z30 was meant to have more storage. What I think is that they committed to buying a certain number of flash drives for the Z10/Q10 and when the devices didn't sell they had to use the same flash storage in the Z30. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jakarta model also has 16GB.

Play Starcraft? Join our Channel: C001242DE
    01-01-14 01:50 AM

I would think that Foxconn's "economies of scale" will have a significant impact on the cost of production of the phone.
    01-01-14 08:35 AM
    I believe the Z30 was meant to have more storage. What I think is that they committed to buying a certain number of flash drives for the Z10/Q10 and when the devices didn't sell they had to use the same flash storage in the Z30. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jakarta model also has 16GB.

Play Starcraft? Join our Channel: C001242DE
    16 GB for Jakarta?
    The Q5 has 8 GB.

01-01-14 11:24 AM
    ha, they sell the z10 that cant even do use bb10 to its fullest. I would be a little surprised not to see FFC but they have to cut costs somewhere so FFC might be one of those, BBM video might not work but you still have BBM voice. I dont know how healthy the cell network is over there to even use BBM video
    That was probably the hardest I've laughed in weeks because it's sad but also true. Happy new year, fella.

BlackBerry 10 Help Channel
    01-01-14 11:33 AM
    Tell me, is "I don't know how healthy the cell network is over there to even use BBM video" an honest question by you? No offense, just curious, do you really think the mobile phone infrastructure in those emerging markets are decrepit?
    01-01-14 12:26 PM
    Tell me, is "I don't know how healthy the cell network is over there to even use BBM video" an honest question by you? No offense, just curious, do you really think the mobile phone infrastructure in those emerging markets are decrepit?
    Correct me if I am wrong, the local Indonesia network recently expended fair bit. The international is based on satellite link. Bandwidth and delay might got limitation if video is widely used. Not sure what is the current state of local telconetwork capacity and scalability of the platform. Please share your knowledge of the local infrastructure. Thx.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-14 12:51 PM
    It's just easier to have just one storage size so it's easier to keep track of inventory. Think of the iphone 5S three colors and three different storage sizes, thats nine different variants of the same phone to build, ship and keep track of. As for going with a 16 over a 32 or 64 GB storage that is likely due to cost.
    Sent from my Q10
    9 doesn't sound like a lot for a billion+ dollar company. you have to add the iPads & iPods and it bumps up the number but it's fathomable. just sounds lazy that if for the reason of simplicity, companies don't offer more variation. IMHO the Z10 should have came in no less than 32GB and should have had at least a 64GB option like the PlayBook.
    01-01-14 01:13 PM
    I'm using a 64gb card in my Z10. Doesn't format on the 10.2.1.1055 leak, had to format on 10.2.0.x. Should be fixed for official release.

Only problem is once I formatted it on the phone, Windows can't recognize it.

Posted via CB10
    doesn't sound right. but you are using leaks so, yeah.
    01-01-14 01:14 PM
    you serious? some places still use EDGE network... what, you think everyone is on 4G LTE? lol
    01-01-14 01:16 PM
    Correct me if I am wrong, the local Indonesia network recently expended fair bit. The international is based on satellite link. Bandwidth and delay might got limitation if video is widely used. Not sure what is the current state of local telconetwork capacity and scalability of the platform. Please share your knowledge of the local infrastructure. Thx.

Posted via CB10

It seems that the Indonesian telco is being proactive about the sustenance of its capacity and scalability.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/mobile-internet-will-become-the-hero-that-saves-the-indonesian-telco-in-2013-finds-frost--sullivan-191006671.html

I hope this might help answer your question, implicitly.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    01-01-14 01:24 PM
    It seems that the Indonesian telco is being proactive about the sustenance of its capacity and scalability.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/mobile-internet-will-become-the-hero-that-saves-the-indonesian-telco-in-2013-finds-frost--sullivan-191006671.html

I hope this might help answer your question, implicitly.
    Not exactly. Thx. 3G and 4G, LTE map coverage might be more of relevant info. As I mentioned before, speed and delay are the key issue for high bandwidth application, such as video.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-14 01:38 PM
    Not exactly. Thx. 3G and 4G, LTE map coverage might be more of relevant info. As I mentioned before, speed and delay are the key issue for high bandwidth application, such as video.

Posted via CB10
    exactly. so it's not so far-fetched that the Jakarta would come with sans front-end camera. if the average speed of networks in these emerging markets is below par, it would make no sense for BBRY to implement higher-end features that would ultimately be met with customer service complaints because of said connectivity issues.
    01-01-14 04:07 PM
38 12