If BB goes private and they're out of the media/street bashing spotlight, do you think after a certain amount of time they'll be able to sell a decent amount of handsets without the negative sentiment?

If so how long away from the spotlight do you think BB needs to be in order to begin selling handsets in which potentially new consumers are not getting coerced or guilted into buying another manufacturer's phone.

I'm thinking 6 months to a year.
    09-24-13 03:52 PM
    I'm thinking 12 months before no new handsets with the word "BlackBerry" on the face are produced. Especially if the Fairfax deal goes through.
    Last edited by birdman_38; 09-24-13 at 04:24 PM.
    09-24-13 03:57 PM
    They must tweak their name, and come back with a different one.
    09-24-13 03:59 PM
    They must tweak their name, and come back with a different one.
    I don't think they need to do anything with their name.

They need a device with special stuff, like how HTC had "Beats Audio."

A BlackBerry with "cameras by Canon" (or Nikon or something), and "sound by Bose" (or something) could show consumers that other serious brands of top quality have collaborated with BlackBerry on a device that's unlike anything BlackBerry has ever released.

Besides, a change of name would only make it seem like BlackBerry is trying to hide that it's a BlackBerry...and that's kind of insulting to a consumer.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 03:12 AM
    YES

But it would be very difficult, and they would need to be a multi-million dollar company, not a multi-billion dollar company.

I don't see ANYONE taking the risk to try after the failure that BB is going through now.
    richardat likes this.
    09-26-13 03:33 PM
    YES

But it would be very difficult, and they would need to be a multi-million dollar company, not a multi-billion dollar company.

I don't see ANYONE taking the risk to try after the failure that BB is going through now.
    That's right creepily lip-synched boy but it would require:
    1.develop completely new OS (or completely retool bb10) to not only fix bugs, and add the large list of minor missing features - but ALSO keep up with the advancements ios and android are making each and every day - in
    2.get developers on board this time - this will be much harder than last time - which was a complete failure. they will be twice as skeptical this time, so probably the only solution is enormous, enormous amounts of money. With the public snipes by top BB people (and thus, probably more in private), they've also burned some bridges that must be mended
    3.get carriers on board again - this will be much harder than last time - they poured money and resources into BB10 launch and saw no return. Though they want another competitor in the market, they won't be anxious to get burned again
    4.revamp reputation - get people to forget not only bb7 era failures - but now, bb10 era failures
    -related to this, they must convince EVERYONE - especially consumers - that they are secure, and will be
    around this time.
    5.execute flawlessly, quickly, and purposefully

Even if the innovation and execution were there - they haven't been seen at BB for years now, the amount of money required, as creepy baby suggests is staggering. To get all these things, as I suggested in an old post, the owner would have to be somebody like: Google, Samsung, Apple....etc. Not terribly likely ;-) Moreover, to be frank, if you have to do all this, what exactly were you STARTING with?? You'd probably be better off starting at zero, with no reputation at all. The only thing positive you'd be gaining is the BB10 base, and that's something - it has reasonable promise - though it's been suggested there are some deep technical problems inherent in it. Nevertheless, it's be a lot easier to say, fork Android, and get the app base to start off with, than take on BB10.

Creepy baby is right....it is hard to imagine any scenario where this would occur - for a plethora of reasons.
    09-26-13 08:33 PM
    I think a BlackBerry comeback where they return to what they used to be is pretty much impossible. It'd be like a room full of monkeys banging away on typewriters somehow typing out the complete works of Shakespeare. It's possible, just unlikely.

An analyst friend of mine posed a possible scenario. BlackBerry could emulate Google, and open source their OS and give it away to manufacturers. They could make money similarly to the way Google does, sell ads in their built in apps and take a cut from their app store. It's still a long shot, kinda like the same monkeys typing out a "The Big Bang Theory" script, but it could speed up acceptance of the OS and maybe draw some developers to the platform. They do have a head start compared to guys like Sailfish and Ubuntu and the other new comers, so it's possible it could work. They'll never be a major player again, but I think they've accepted that now.

This of course all hinges on BlackBerry staying whole and going private, which is not a foregone conclusion, and one I highly doubt will happen. Most likely, it'll be broken up and sold for parts.
    09-26-13 10:30 PM
    That's right creepily lip-synched boy but it would require:
    1.develop completely new OS (or completely retool bb10) to not only fix bugs, and add the large list of minor missing features - but ALSO keep up with the advancements ios and android are making each and every day - in
    2.get developers on board this time - this will be much harder than last time - which was a complete failure. they will be twice as skeptical this time, so probably the only solution is enormous, enormous amounts of money. With the public snipes by top BB people (and thus, probably more in private), they've also burned some bridges that must be mended
    3.get carriers on board again - this will be much harder than last time - they poured money and resources into BB10 launch and saw no return. Though they want another competitor in the market, they won't be anxious to get burned again
    4.revamp reputation - get people to forget not only bb7 era failures - but now, bb10 era failures
    -related to this, they must convince EVERYONE - especially consumers - that they are secure, and will be
    around this time.
    5.execute flawlessly, quickly, and purposefully

Even if the innovation and execution were there - they haven't been seen at BB for years now, the amount of money required, as creepy baby suggests is staggering. To get all these things, as I suggested in an old post, the owner would have to be somebody like: Google, Samsung, Apple....etc. Not terribly likely ;-) Moreover, to be frank, if you have to do all this, what exactly were you STARTING with?? You'd probably be better off starting at zero, with no reputation at all. The only thing positive you'd be gaining is the BB10 base, and that's something - it has reasonable promise - though it's been suggested there are some deep technical problems inherent in it. Nevertheless, it's be a lot easier to say, fork Android, and get the app base to start off with, than take on BB10.

Creepy baby is right....it is hard to imagine any scenario where this would occur - for a plethora of reasons.
    So you aren't a fan of Star Trek.....
    09-30-13 11:43 AM