What Steve Jobs did to Apple, Thorsten Heins will do to BlackBerry.
    2013 will be the year of BlackBerry.
    BB10 mobile computing platform will be the dominant operating system/platform.
    Z10, Q10, R10 will be mere side-shows compared to what's coming.
    The larger picture looks very promising.
    05-09-13 09:59 PM
    I would love for you to be right about that. In 3 years, if it's looking like that, I will buy you a beer for sure
    05-09-13 10:08 PM
    Ditto!

I see a k
    Lot of power though in RIM's whole lineup. They have a lot of the right folks.

More technical than they are marketers in some cases. But that caters well to me.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 10:19 PM
    I am sure BBRY could be next Apple.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 10:39 PM
    We'll find out next week.
    05-09-13 10:42 PM
    just wondering, what will happen if TH doing what he's been doing now three years earlier?
    05-09-13 10:47 PM
    Might not have had the same effect.

I think you need to hit bottom and be there with nothing to lose to have a turnaround like this.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 11:10 PM
    I sure hope so! Im sure once BBRY pushes the official 10.1 update to the consumers, and start shipping Z10's with 10.1 out the box. As well as getting a native Instagram and Skype App, it should be a really BIG help to please those heavy app users coming from iOS or Android. But most importantly having a solid performing device, up to date, out the box.
    05-09-13 11:19 PM
    1) What Steve Jobs did to Apple, Thorsten Heins will do to BlackBerry.

2) BB10 mobile computing platform will be the dominant operating system/platform.
    I might agree to your first statement, besides these two are completely different persons in character and background. But the impact of the entire company might similar.

I can�t agree to the second statement, if you mean it from a market perspective. If you mean inside BB (legacy vs. BB10) - than YES...
    05-10-13 03:36 AM
    Frankly, I was very disappointed when I started Z10 2 months back transferring from legacy bb 9860. No compatibility for device switch from legacy devices. No outlook sync and more of that users struggled a lot in transferring their contacts & calenders from old bb devices. But slowly slowly, things are getting better after 10.1 but lot have to be done.
    I am too very optimistic for BB10 to be turn around for BBRY and surely, TH is the person behind all these.
    05-10-13 04:58 AM
    I wish I could agree but the "Steve Jobs" type innovators only come around seldom and Thorsten is not even close. He has already proved that he is a far cry from Jobs.

millerliteboy likes this.
    05-10-13 05:02 AM
    Anyone that think TH is going to be the next SJ, is looking at everything the wrong way.
    He doesn't have to be. Nor is he trying to be. It's a whole new world now. TH needs to be the BlackBerry CEO of 2013 Firstly as the turnaround king. Next the team builder. Let the team be the driver of innovation. The foundation is already in place.
    BlackBerry can be wildly successful with TH as CEO, it's a weakness for people to think he should be the next SJ.
    But I get your enthusiasm OP and it's fine

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 05:47 AM
    Thor is not Jobs, nor should he be. BlackBerry will not be the next Apple. I think they're aiming higher than to be a purveyor of consumer gadgets that are here today and gone tomorrow.

Never good for a company to hitch its horsies to one man, as Apple is learning now.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 08:05 AM
    If they get out a good office suite, yes. Otherwise, no.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 09:39 AM
    No way, IMO, they are two completely different people... But I do see TH bringing BB to life. TH is much more likeable IMO
    05-10-13 09:40 AM
    Thor is nothing like Steve Jobs.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 10:41 AM
    Thor is nothing like Steve Jobs.

Posted via CB10
    Too easy. Won't insert my joke here.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 10:52 AM
    I'm sure Thor is a genius but his stage presence reminds me of the awkward nerd during elementary school presentations. I was cringing during the z10 launch for him.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 11:20 AM
    Anyone that think TH is going to be the next SJ, is looking at everything the wrong way.
    He doesn't have to be. Nor is he trying to be. It's a whole new world now. TH needs to be the BlackBerry CEO of 2013 Firstly as the turnaround king. Next the team builder. Let the team be the driver of innovation. The foundation is already in place.
    BlackBerry can be wildly successful with TH as CEO, it's a weakness for people to think he should be the next SJ.
    But I get your enthusiasm OP and it's fine

Posted via CB10
    I agree that Thorsten is the turnaround guy. He's not the visionary guy. Dan Dodge is more the visionary guy now that Mike is out of the picture. Thorsten is the best guy to be CEO. He turned BlackBerry into a lean efficient machine that turned a profit with only three weeks of sales of the Z10 in select countries as we learned on their last earnings report.

They have a long term plan and tremendous talent from around the world in place to be a major player in the future of mobile.

I just hope that while they execute on the plan they don't lose sight of the present because a couple of missteps could prevent them from ever being able to realize the long term goals of the company.

The A-Series will be the first product that will demonstrate if BlackBerry can be nimble and responsive to today's market.
    05-10-13 12:06 PM
    not happenin' 'til they get a top notch marketing guy,,, he (Thor) seems like a great guy, the kind you wanna sit down & have a beer with, but he needs to shake things up & rattle some cages,,, marketing is not gettin' it done...
    05-10-13 01:13 PM
    Alicia Keys as spokesperson was fail

Posted via CB10
    theclipart likes this.
    05-10-13 03:00 PM
    just wondering, what will happen if TH doing what he's been doing now three years earlier?
    us shareholders would be millionaires
    hindsketchup238 likes this.
    05-10-13 03:07 PM
    not happenin' 'til they get a top notch marketing guy,,, he (Thor) seems like a great guy, the kind you wanna sit down & have a beer with, but he needs to shake things up & rattle some cages,,, marketing is not gettin' it done...
    Funny you say that because one of the things I love about this guy is that he is more than willing to rattle cages. It was great the way he came out and said that the IPhone is "dated" (totally true) . It was awesome when he said that tablets are not a good business model and won't exist in five years (they aren't and they won't, not in anything close to their present form, anyway. )

The guy has nuts the size of cantaloupes!

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 05:14 PM
    Funny you say that because one of the things I love about this guy is that he is more than willing to rattle cages. It was great the way he came out and said that the IPhone is "dated" (totally true) . It was awesome when he said that tablets are not a good business model and won't exist in five years (they aren't and they won't, not in anything close to their present form, anyway. )

The guy has nuts the size of cantaloupes!

Posted via CB10
    There is no doubt he is a straight shooter. There is also no doubt there is a long term strategy in place at BlackBerry that will grow the business for the next decade if they can pull it off.

What they still need to prove though is that they are able to see where the market is at today and put out relevant, competitive products in the market today and not just look to 5 years down the road.

Tablets may not be as relevant in the future as they are today, but that does not take away from the fact that today they are a large part of the mobile computing market. 5 years from now the M2M and TDC visions BlackBerry has for the new platform may be the greatest revolution in computing since computing became mobile. But today they need to have product that beats the Galaxy S 4 on store shelves in time for the holidays. If the A-Series really is being updated and stays on schedule, we will know that BlackBerry is able to compete today while building their vision for the future of mobile computing.
    05-10-13 07:18 PM
    @superionmaximus, I respectfully disagree on several points.

First of all, I don't think BlackBerry needs to sweat its share of the consumer market. They will sell phones and plenty of them. BBM is the undisputed champion of mobility messaging, community, and security for the corporate and government set. Other mission-critical apps are similarly advanced. They talk about the Apple ecosystem or whatever, but BlackBerry has its own. It is large in terms of users and former users.

Second, I don't believe that they are behind currently. If anything, they are way ahead.

Third, they own the future. That may be debatable, but they seem to be thinking several move ahead of their competitors.

So we disagree. Time will tell.

Posted via CB10
    doctor gonzo likes this.
    05-10-13 09:32 PM
61 123