What Steve Jobs did to Apple, Thorsten Heins will do to BlackBerry.
    2013 will be the year of BlackBerry.
    BB10 mobile computing platform will be the dominant operating system/platform.
    Z10, Q10, R10 will be mere side-shows compared to what's coming.
    The larger picture looks very promising.
    what is mobile computing? is it just another word ppl throw around cause Thor said that about BB? what BB can do that other mobile can't that makes it unquie in "mobile computing"?
    richardat likes this.
    05-13-13 10:45 AM
    @superionmaximus, I respectfully disagree on several points.

First of all, I don't think BlackBerry needs to sweat its share of the consumer market. They will sell phones and plenty of them. BBM is the undisputed champion of mobility messaging, community, and security for the corporate and government set. Other mission-critical apps are similarly advanced. They talk about the Apple ecosystem or whatever, but BlackBerry has its own. It is large in terms of users and former users.

Second, I don't believe that they are behind currently. If anything, they are way ahead.

Third, they own the future. That may be debatable, but they seem to be thinking several move ahead of their competitors.

So we disagree. Time will tell.

Posted via CB10
    care to explain why they're way ahead? or they own the future?
    05-13-13 10:46 AM
    Funny you say that because one of the things I love about this guy is that he is more than willing to rattle cages. It was great the way he came out and said that the IPhone is "dated" (totally true) . It was awesome when he said that tablets are not a good business model and won't exist in five years (they aren't and they won't, not in anything close to their present form, anyway. )

The guy has nuts the size of cantaloupes!

Posted via CB10
    pretty sure Apple and many other companies can disagree with Thor about the perception that tablet wont be around in the next 5 years. there is a reason everyone trying to get into the game. somehow magically tablet will be gone in 5 years? correct me if im wrong, but isn't tablet getting more and more popular each year?
    05-13-13 10:54 AM
    I think TH will be a good CEO but comparing him to Steve Jobs is a bit of a long shot.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 12:04 PM
    Thorsten knows. He's the coolest.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 12:32 PM
    He's got some serious nerve to be even talking about apple. Keep steering your ship that's in last place. Don't worry about who's at the finish line.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 12:37 PM
    i saw many interviews , his communication has no point of view , come on ... think before you write something

just look around blackberry z10 , people who purchase it they just feel like cheated a lot bugs , error and no apps

05-13-13 08:15 PM
    i saw many interviews , his communication has no point of view , come on ... think before you write something

just look around blackberry z10 , people who purchase it they just feel like cheated a lot bugs , error and no apps
    Perhaps do more research, not just look around a bit. I have a Z and it is great, no dropped calls (apple), no freezing (S3)...LTE...super fast browser and the keyboard kicks azz.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 08:28 PM
    Funny,

I have a Z10. It reboots itself an average of twice a day. It randomly decides whether it is going to allow me to answer a phone call or not. It keeps duplicating (or worse) my contact database, the battery will NOT last a full day at work forcing me to go out and buy spare chargers so I can plug the damn thing in everywhere I go. I won't even get into the app situation and the Browser? who cares, it's a phone, i don't use it browse the internet.

And to be fair, mine doesn't drop calls (very often), it just shuts itself off in the middle of calls. Great improvement.

I am terrifically disappointed in it but stuck with it.
    05-13-13 08:51 PM
    Why not exchange it, clearly you have issues that are not the norm.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 08:59 PM
    Funny you say that because one of the things I love about this guy is that he is more than willing to rattle cages. It was great the way he came out and said that the IPhone is "dated" (totally true) . It was awesome when he said that tablets are not a good business model and won't exist in five years (they aren't and they won't, not in anything close to their present form, anyway. )

The guy has nuts the size of cantaloupes!

Posted via CB10
    I would love to hear him justify how the iPhone is dated. All the while explaining why OS 10 has a 30 day email limit, not having the headless api's ready for launch, not to mention the reboot issue many people are having.

You know my steez using Samsung Galaxy S4
    richardat likes this.
    05-13-13 08:59 PM
    Why not exchange it, clearly you have issues that are not the norm.

Posted via CB10
    In the hands of the IT department, in the meantime, pain in the ....
    05-13-13 09:18 PM
    Sorry for your luck...

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 09:33 PM
    @superionmaximus, I respectfully disagree on several points.

First of all, I don't think BlackBerry needs to sweat its share of the consumer market. They will sell phones and plenty of them. BBM is the undisputed champion of mobility messaging, community, and security for the corporate and government set. Other mission-critical apps are similarly advanced. They talk about the Apple ecosystem or whatever, but BlackBerry has its own. It is large in terms of users and former users.

Second, I don't believe that they are behind currently. If anything, they are way ahead.

Third, they own the future. That may be debatable, but they seem to be thinking several move ahead of their competitors.

So we disagree. Time will tell.

Posted via CB10
    You do know that 90% of BlackBerry's business is the consumer market right? If they don't sweat their share of the consumer market they won't stay in business at all.

BBM is the best messaging platform, I will agree there. But, back to the first point, if no one's using it because they didn't sweat the consumer market, it doesn't matter.

Not behind? BlackBerry maps anyone? It's the worst in the industry. They have no ecosystem. They have an app store and they have the NOC. The NOC is only relevant to BES customers and BBM for consumers. It will be more important again as BlackBerry re-purposes it to service other QNX customer needs for M2M and TDC but they have to regain market share to make that happen.

BlackBerry cannot own the future if they can not compete in the present. They have to show that they are able to grow at a rate faster then the market for the next year or so and then they have to maintain. They have a shot at it but they must execute very well and the products have to be great.
    05-13-13 10:59 PM
    what is mobile computing? is it just another word ppl throw around cause Thor said that about BB? what BB can do that other mobile can't that makes it unquie in "mobile computing"?
    What are you talking about? Have you not seen the threads and posts? Things are CLEARLY looking up. They OWN the future. I know that most of us cannot wait to buy a mobile computing. How can you even argue that a mobile computing is the future??? The other companies can start trying to copy and make one of their own mobile computing, but it's too late, I've already bought a BB mobile computing, and it dominates the market. I feel sorry for you, if you don't see why a mobile computing is far superior, yer an *****. I bet you're just another troll, you probably don't even know what a mobile computing is!

I got news for you trollboy, COMPUTERS are the future, and that's what seperates the z10, it's a COMPUTER! And it integrates! It integrates all the integrals. You probably don't even see the synergy in that!

BB is giving us the answer! Someday, they will even give us the question! (but that will take a much more powerful mobile computing and many many years of computation)
    danprown and trwrt like this.
    05-14-13 12:52 AM
    care to explain why they're way ahead? or they own the future?
    Why? Because they put a ton of resources into developing the smoothest, fastest, most stable and efficient operating system currently available on a mobile device.

The z10 is the first phone I've used that made me see that the day is coming soon when I will carry my computer in my pocket and connect it to whatever dumb peripherals it needs to do various tasks. It handles work-related communications and documents better than anything out there, including Windows Phones. Hats off to Microsoft for also seeing the mobile computing future, though.

Right now BlackBerry is way ahead in terms of its core technology and vision.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 07:20 AM
    What are you talking about? Have you not seen the threads and posts? Things are CLEARLY looking up. They OWN the future. I know that most of us cannot wait to buy a mobile computing. How can you even argue that a mobile computing is the future??? The other companies can start trying to copy and make one of their own mobile computing, but it's too late, I've already bought a BB mobile computing, and it dominates the market. I feel sorry for you, if you don't see why a mobile computing is far superior, yer an *****. I bet you're just another troll, you probably don't even know what a mobile computing is!

I got news for you trollboy, COMPUTERS are the future, and that's what seperates the z10, it's a COMPUTER! And it integrates! It integrates all the integrals. You probably don't even see the synergy in that!

BB is giving us the answer! Someday, they will even give us the question! (but that will take a much more powerful mobile computing and many many years of computation)
    Umm

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 07:31 AM
    Mobile computing is now a thing? Right because thor says it.

Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    05-14-13 08:59 AM
    He hasn't proven that yet. Jobs was a visionary at looking far ahead and creating a beautiful user experience. BlackBerry 10 was brought to market by Thorsten but it's Mike's baby. BlackBerry 11 will be Thorsten's test.

This isn't to suggest Thorsten isn't doing a good job in terms of operations (he is!), but so far, he strikes me as more "Tim Cook" than "Steve Jobs". I'm delighted to be proven wrong.
    05-14-13 02:47 PM
    Next Steve Jobs? When it comes to turnarounds, he doesn't even come close to Marissa Mayer

When Marissa Mayer became CEO of Yahoo about a year ago Yahoo stock was at $15.74, now it is at $25 (59% increase)

When Thorsten became CEO 18 months ago BBRY stock was at $17, today it is below $10 (43% decrease)
    JeepBB and richardat like this.
    07-02-13 08:36 PM
    Next Steve Jobs? When it comes to turnarounds, he doesn't even come close to Marissa Mayer

When Marissa Mayer became CEO of Yahoo about a year ago Yahoo stock was at $15.74, now it is at $25 (59% increase)

When Thorsten became CEO 18 months ago BBRY stock was at $17, today it is below $10 (43% decrease)
    lol way to reply after a "bad" quarter.

A stock price does not reflect how a company will do. It's how people THINK a company will do. Huge difference.
    Superfly_FR, kfh227 and abouthsu like this.
    07-02-13 08:49 PM
    Why? Because they put a ton of resources into developing the smoothest, fastest, most stable and efficient operating system currently available on a mobile device.

The z10 is the first phone I've used that made me see that the day is coming soon when I will carry my computer in my pocket and connect it to whatever dumb peripherals it needs to do various tasks. It handles work-related communications and documents better than anything out there, including Windows Phones. Hats off to Microsoft for also seeing the mobile computing future, though.

Right now BlackBerry is way ahead in terms of its core technology and vision.

Posted via CB10
    efficient ?? wow

tell that to Playbook user..if 1GB Ram or single core processor is not enough how can you tell it is efficient OS ?
    07-02-13 11:39 PM
    Steve Jobs was a visionary. Inventory. That's not what Thorston is.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-13 12:11 AM
    Steve Jobs was a visionary. Inventory. That's not what Thorston is.

Posted via CB10
    Genius Jobs implemented (thanks to Jonathan Ive) the user experience. And marketed it along like a king.
    Anti-sexy Heins puts the piece of the puzzle together. And can't market it right now.

They are barely comparable. Other times, other goals, other means ...
    Apple was saved by Jobs in the glorious times for IT/Mobile stock investments (vision = 5 yrs+).
    Nowadays, "investment" is more likely a pay-back-instant trade ...
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-03-13 04:34 AM
    Thanks for the laugh, OP
    07-03-13 05:39 AM
61 123