BlackBerry best chance to survive is to replace the CEO now. His vision is a flop. It is let's catch up to our competitors and pray they do nothing! NO mobile computing. NO compelling user experience. They need a bold audacious plan to revision BB10 NOW. They need an OUTSIDER who understands consumers and a rapidly changing industry. The special committee should focus on a REPLACEMENT fir the CEO!

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 09:11 AM
    Since the current CEO is on that committee, that would be a stretch.
    If someone buys BBRY or it is taken private (another way of saying someone buys BBRY) they would likely put in their own management.
    08-12-13 09:14 AM
    BlackBerry best chance to survive is to replace the CEO now. His vision is a flop. It is let's catch up to our competitors and pray they do nothing! NO mobile computing. NO compelling user experience. They need a bold audacious plan to revision BB10 NOW. They need an OUTSIDER who understands consumers and a rapidly changing industry. The special committee should focus on a REPLACEMENT fir the CEO!

Posted via CB10
    Please be the CEO... lol

Channel : C000FA856 | Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1047
    Carjackd and mk2234 like this.
    08-12-13 09:17 AM
    I always say this. Time for Thor to GO!

STL 100-3 os 10.2.0.1047
    08-12-13 09:18 AM
    Why is this in the Z10 forum?
    08-12-13 09:19 AM
    The funny part is - if you aggregate the comments on CB10, you would have a pretty decent start on the compelling user experience! It was a sign when the CEO of TAT resigned soon after the acquisition.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 09:21 AM
    Why not. It was his first phone launch!

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 09:22 AM
    Why is this in the Z10 forum?
    Exactly what i was wondering.
    08-12-13 09:24 AM
    Not really - "umm Thor do you mind getting us a couple of Starbucks - we will just chat amongst our selves while you are gone."

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 09:24 AM
    Other than killing the PlayBook, Thor is fine with me.

I would like to root the PlayBook if it us never going to run bb10. I'd put openSUSE arm on it. I think the PlayBook is just an Allwinner chipset.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 05:08 PM
    Another thread on this?
    cjcampbell and mk2234 like this.
    08-12-13 05:12 PM

Posted via CB10
    Terrible idea!! You realize that he has done plenty of UNBELIEVABLE things since taking over a struggling company. To blame the CEO is simply taking the easy route. Also, do you want to start over again? I think not.

Posted via BlackBerry Z10
    mk2234 likes this.
    08-12-13 06:14 PM
    Thorsten is not the problem. The problem is Frank and this team AND the big developers who doesn't want to develop their apps.

Posted via CB10
    mk2234 likes this.
    08-12-13 06:26 PM
    Other than killing the PlayBook, Thor is fine with me.

I would like to root the PlayBook if it us never going to run bb10. I'd put openSUSE arm on it. I think the PlayBook is just an Allwinner chipset.

Posted via CB10
    So your happy with how the launch of the Z10 and BB10 went? Your happy with how well BB10 is being supported?

At this point it really doesn't matter, they either turn things around in the next couple of months or they don't. Don't think the major investors are going to give Thor 3 Billion to spend or any more time than that.
    08-12-13 06:36 PM
    Unbelievable is true. He reneged on his PlayBook commitment. The os was half baked. We are Al excited about 10.2 so we can have a comparable smartphone wit competitors. The flagship is merely an oversized z10. Subscriber volume is Dow. Sales are way below expectations and they are looking at selling the company or other strategic options. I guarantee he will be gone in 6 months. Do it now and they have a chance. Otherwise it will be split apart and sold.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 06:44 PM
    Terrible idea!! You realize that he has done plenty of UNBELIEVABLE things since taking over a struggling company. To blame the CEO is simply taking the easy route. Also, do you want to start over again? I think not.

Posted via BlackBerry Z10
    It don't work that way. If the mechanics of a corporate turn-around are handled by a competent CEO, but he lacks the vision or skills to make it sustainable, he has to be put out...with thanks and a golden parachute to be sure.

Thor pulled the corp out of the flames. Sadly he can't stop it from sinking back in...slowly...excruciatingly...painfully
    08-12-13 06:48 PM
    The phones you see now are Mike L's phones. Thor had very little if anything to do with their design. Mike fully left BlackBerry once the roll out was getting up steam.

This means that Thor did very little in the way of bringing us these non-sellers. I feel Mike was still pulling strings while Thor took the limelight and now the blame. Mike ran out the back door.

Right now I feel BlackBerry has no real idea what to do once the Z30 is launched and will not have the cash to do much of anything.

With Samsung pouring more into advertising then BlackBerry has in cash it puts BlackBerry in a bad position. The lack of BB10 sales put the ribbon on top.

They need cash to develop, produce and market their next attempt. Thus what we all witnessed today.

I think it is the only option they have now. They cannot do it alone anymore.

I hope it all works out as BlackBerry is still my phone of choice. (now that I am running a leak that actually seems to work well)

Thor is a good business man but they need someone in touch with the consumers and what they want. To think outside the stuffy box BlackBerry seems to be in.

They need to fully break from the old BlackBerry style and mindset.

Verizon Z10. Running 10.1.0.4651. Posted via CB10
    Drew808, imz and JeepBB like this.
    08-12-13 10:31 PM
    When I saw how good 10.2 was on my Q10, I realized that Thor is focused on the right thing. Making the best BlackBerry experience there is and that meant not spending resources on a sub par experience on the PlayBook that would get scrutinized and forever associated with BB10.

I am not sure if his plan was a bad plan. Make a great device, get a new operating system out there, get people to develop for it, and make more devices.

The issue is that it has taken too long to get to this point and that is where it is too little too late.

Thor is holding people accountable for the sales, but I just wish that the execution was more solid to begin with. That is why sometimes you just need to fire the whole top level group and bring in fresh blood to manage the talent. Too many naysayers within the org that have a track record of no accountability.

I think he has learned that lesson now.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 10:43 PM
    Thorsten is not the problem. The problem is Frank and this team AND the big developers who doesn't want to develop their apps.

Posted via CB10
    You can't blame developers for anything. They want to make money, not keep BB in business. And they're making plenty of money on iOS and Android right now.
    08-12-13 11:24 PM
    It is astounding that no one here really understands the nature of what happened today. BB will not be continuing business 18 months from now. It is almost certainly going to be broken up.

The reason there is no BB10 for the PB is that essentially no one will be supporting the PB, let alone porting BB10 to it. Switching CEOs isn't going to fix their problem. The existing BB7 subscriber base will be gone within 2 years. You can squeeze some money out of that maybe. You can sell QNX and some of the design patents for the handsets. Maybe the enterprise mobile management system can be absorbed by a company looking to take some patents. Micro Paratek can be sold to a military radio designer. Some of the engineering team might be worth keeping, but most of the good people have probably got out of Dodge by now.

Anyone who wants to duke it out in the smartphone market is going to use a port of Android because it gets them an instant ecosystem. Why would anyone fight for developers when they don't have to? Only Microsoft can answer that question, but they can throw money at the problem for years without noticing, so I guess they don't care.
    rthonpm, m1a1mg and JeepBB like this.
    08-12-13 11:45 PM
    The posts in this forum are refreshingly realistic. So much in CrackBerry is fantasy land stuff.

I was shocked by the lack of promotion on the Z10 launch and the fact that the software was STILL not ready. This showed that they had not improved their development capability and that they were still living in a bubble of delusion about their importance to, and love by, the consumers.

Thor was more part of the problem than solution. At this time a completely new owner is the best way to go. I think that there is merit to keeping the company together and providing the total solution. However, they probably should let it be a dual device, running both full Android and OS10 apps. Only get full security with OS10 apps.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 07:07 AM
    Let it NEVER be forgotten that TH lied to the stockholders before the last ER. He claimed how well BB10 devices were selling when sales were really in the toilet!

It hardly matters as even if they do sell Blackberry and do install a new CEO the sales of BB10 devices will still be a challenge! Most people have moved on and are not even interested in Blackbery anymore.
    08-13-13 07:26 AM
    Notice how quiet Thor has been since the AGM?

No more pronouncements or predictions. He has been muzzled.

The mistake of letting him speak without a script appears to have been remedied. He would have been an excellent COO - his cost cutting and management skills have been paying off - but he is a terrible face of the company.
    08-13-13 07:33 AM
    Let it NEVER be forgotten that TH lied to the stockholders before the last ER. He claimed how well BB10 devices were selling when sales were really in the toilet!

It hardly matters as even if they do sell Blackberry and do install a new CEO the sales of BB10 devices will still be a challenge! Most people have moved on and are not even interested in Blackbery anymore.
    Heins didn't 'lie to stockholders' unless he was speaking in a shareholder meeting or in a required disclosure form like a 10K, etc. If we're thinking of the same supposed 'lie' it's the 'millions of Q10 sales' quote which was a more or less off the cuff remark. Let's not also forget that English is not Thorsten's first language and even for someone who has spoken a second language for a very long time there will be times when the second language gets the better of you.

The long term plan that's been put into place for BlackBerry 10 seems fairly strong, the only question is whether or not BlackBerry can survive in a relevant form to see it through. Changing the CEO at this point would do nothing because by the time a new plan is put in place there would more than likely be some decision made on the fate of the overall company, so you'd really only be doing a job of window dressing.

BlackBerry has been a victim of its own long term inertia: it was on top for so long and thought itself untouchable that it when it was advanced on from two sides (iOS and Android), it wasn't prepared for it because of Mike and Jim's myopia. The management change that happened when the fall had already started was too late: even the most effective manager can reach a point where their style breaks down due to the size or situation of the organisation. In BlackBerry's case, Mike and Jim may have been the perfect people to bring the company to the top of the mountain, but not the right people to take it to a different, and higher, peak. The main chance the company would have had to keep itself relevant would have been to make a change in strategy and leadership before their fall, but hindsight is always 20/20.
    08-13-13 07:48 AM
    I'm ok with leaving him in for a little longer. I'm not ok with him ever speaking again though.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 10:44 AM
28 12