Starting a new thread for people on my side of the boat. After that ER, I am slowly closing out my position in the short term. There are other companies to invest in.

They obviously improved their numbers from last quarter but certainly not enough for any tech company to convince business people that they are on the way back.

Overall their marketing is subpar and needs violent improvement. I only know one person who owns a bb10 device. I'm in southern California where the population is 25 million.

Management does not care about its shareholders and this needs to change at BBRY. That's my first wish.

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    06-29-13 02:30 PM
    investing should always be made with a clear head and not because you like the product. I don't understand that "I support bbry I buy shares'' thread. if you support them, buy their products.
    bekkay and amazinglygraceless like this.
    06-29-13 03:54 PM
    I am a long term investor and I generally go for value, and normally I would buy more, but after yesterday's call and results I'm actually questioning whether they will ever come back. If they never come back their value is 0.

If they are not going to 0, it does seem that the stock price will fall some more for a while before it goes back up. The only good news I foresee in the next few months is potentially a licensing, partnering, or a hostile takeover.

Heins seems unable to get the marketing done. A slowly dying retail manufacturing tech company with no marketing or an absolutely revolutionary product is on its way to the grave.

I am dropping my position because I am no longer confident that the next report in September will be good. I don't see BBRY surprisingly outperforming the market's expectations in this time period.

Though I'm keeping my leap options because they are quite worthless to sell at this point anyway.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 10:11 AM
    I love my phone and will continue to use BlackBerry for a very long time. No question on that part.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 10:13 AM
    The time to sell the company was last June, when the stock hit $6. At the time, BB10 wasn't there but they still had 80 million subscriptions, mostly outside North America and Europe. Thorsten shopped the company around, but no one bit. Amazon considered a purchase back in 2011, but that didn't go anywhere.

I doubt there would be any interest now, except from companies looking to buy for the patents and scrap everything else. As nice as BB10 may be, it doesn't do anything other phones can't, and we're long past the point where OS-level features sell a platform. Palm had their shot with WebOS in 2009, which came out at a time when the iTunes App Store was new and people weren't locked in to certain ecosystems.

To make a new platform compelling, you have to have deals with major app developers BEFORE releasing it to the public. BB was too small to make this happen, and thus relied on "port-a-thons" where they offered a measly $100 to port an Android app to BB10. Unsurprisingly, this attracted the lowest common denominator of app developers, and thus the app store was able to hit 100K, but mostly of no-name, generic apps.

I always thought they should have taken whatever Amazon offered in 2011. Amazon had the music and video content BB sorely needed, and their AWS cloud services are in the top 3 with Google and MS.
    06-30-13 01:37 PM
    I'm starting to unload on the next run up. Will revisit after 50% sold off.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 08:41 PM