The way the stock sold off really smells like a bear trap in the making. They shook the tree to weed out most of the weak-hand longs (alot of people on this board mind you) and set the trap for late retail shorts, thinking that BBRY will not do good.

I have a feeling that next week media and bloggers will be singing the gloom and doom, but you will not notice the stock price drop much more as smart shorts will be covering during this time and suckering slow shorties in before a knock out of the park ER that will trap them and force them to cover at 18.

This is good for longs because this drop closed our previous gap, and allows the averages to run up a little bit so any "surprises" on the good side during the ER will not get hammered down by TA.
    missing_K-W and fedakd like this.
    03-22-13 06:50 PM
    Well, my opinion is that Blackberry's PR (Public Relations Department) or PAO (Public Affairs Office) is out to lunch. Every corporation has such a department to mitigate negative media which results in loss of sales. I love Blackberry but can't understand why they let history repeat itself when the new CEO states he wants to turn this company around. You have to use your PR department or sink. What we have been witnessing lately is the media taking advantage of Blackberry's inability to use their internal resources to their advantage.
    03-22-13 09:00 PM
    Tinfoil hat time baby! Yay!

Posted via CB10
    kfh227 and aniym like this.
    03-22-13 09:16 PM
    I think Thorsten is doing a much better job of articulating the differences between BB and the competition of late...just look at the last two day when he said Apple's "user interface is outdated" and Samsung's "security will never be top-notch."

We all know this to be true...but haven't heard that type of bold talk from BB, like never. I like it....but you are right there PR Department and Advertising Department should do a much better job than their previous years effort....the products are top notch, the marketing not so much.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    03-22-13 09:19 PM
    I think the "big shorties" manufactured a down spike today to sell off some of their contracts on the secondary market and the small options players probably gobbled them up. I like to see the options players eat their children.

I seem to be seeing a fairly steady swing to the positive for Blackberry as more and more major Brokerages signal a positive change in Blackberry's fortunes. Heck, even Cramer has come out relatively positive...... imagine that !

I do agree that the earnings will be marginal but future indications will be very positive and we'll finally get the real number on units sold in the first month. My guess is 1.3 - 1.5 which is on the high side of most of the big market watchers.
    Last edited by EchoTango; 03-23-13 at 10:38 AM.
    03-23-13 09:54 AM

Posted via CB10
    I was thinking more along the lines of this:
    I have a feeling today was a setup-27654292.jpg
    03-23-13 07:23 PM
    I think it was directly due to the poor support which resulted in poor sales in th USA. Sorry, but it is just my opinion.
    03-25-13 05:10 AM
    Conspiracy is one term to describe it. Strategy to mitigate losses is another.

Fact is, over 100,000,000 short shares translates to over $1 Billion Dollars. Those shorting a stock theoretically face unlimited losses if the price increases - unless they sell, of course. I would suspect most of the weak hands have left the building, and what we are witnessing now is institutional investors duking it out.

What the price drop a setup? I think the two downgrades this morning are taking advantage of limited data and a seemingly underwhelming roll-out by AT&T. I think for the shorts, AT&T's marketing of the Z10 was a gift from heaven, and the Suva's of the world are capitalizing on it to push the price down ahead of earnings. Likely, they'll take the opportunity to lower their downside risk by selling off some of their short positions.

For the naive souls above to smirk about a conspiracy....give your head a shake. Serious money doesn't sit back and let God sort it out. Serious money is active working the phones, influencing reporters, timing alalysts releases, and doing just about anything they can push the market in the direction of their massive positions.

No worry though. The next two quarterly reports should counter all the negativity. I'm just happy to sit back and enjoy the show...
    03-25-13 07:11 AM
    Made me laugh...let God sort it out...thank you and well said.

Posted via CB10
    OMGitworks likes this.
    03-25-13 08:09 AM
    Well, my opinion is that Blackberry's PR (Public Relations Department) or PAO (Public Affairs Office) is out to lunch.
    Sorry - but [I] completely and utterly disagree with you in every possible way imaginable. I follow many of those people on social media and they are constantly working trying to mitigate and correct. The reality is that they probably have the absolute hardest PR job on the face of the planet because it's fashionable to attack BlackBerry at the slightest inclination. The fact that they've even made any positive strides is a testament.

It's easy to say "they're out to lunch". What exactly would you do to lead the PR team and how are they not doing it now?
    Shanerredflag and Thunderbuck like this.
    03-25-13 10:44 AM
    To Icjr's defense, I say they should at the very least but up some more promotional signs outside AT&T's store windows, and make sure the demo model is visibly seen inside the store. Might not seem much but it does make a big difference.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 11:43 AM
    The way the stock sold off really smells like a bear trap in the making. They shook the tree to weed out most of the weak-hand longs (alot of people on this board mind you) and set the trap for late retail shorts, thinking that BBRY will not do good.

I have a feeling that next week media and bloggers will be singing the gloom and doom, but you will not notice the stock price drop much more as smart shorts will be covering during this time and suckering slow shorties in before a knock out of the park ER that will trap them and force them to cover at 18.

This is good for longs because this drop closed our previous gap, and allows the averages to run up a little bit so any "surprises" on the good side during the ER will not get hammered down by TA.
    On IB, my broker, BBRY has no shares to sell short. This was true from before market open. This probably means that a lot of people went short at open which supports your idea but it also puts the brakes on more short positions. Good opportunity for a short squeeze. Looks like it is closing the gap as I write this.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    03-25-13 12:18 PM
    On IB, my broker, BBRY has no shares to sell short. This was true from before market open. This probably means that a lot of people went short at open which supports your idea but it also puts the brakes on more short positions. Good opportunity for a short squeeze. Looks like it is closing the gap as I write this.
    I still stand by my statement. What you are seeing here is late comer shorts selling to go short and who is buying? Other shorts that are closing their positions. I dont know of many longs that would be selling right here.
    03-25-13 02:05 PM
    While I agree the shorts are pushing the negative sentiment - I don't understand the apparent lack of ATT support?
    03-25-13 03:12 PM

Posted via CB10
    How is it tin foil hat time? Market fixing is a reality. If you believe otherwise you are naive.
    03-26-13 01:38 PM