12-17-13 11:12 PM
52 123
tools
    Doubt that many of those "downloads" turned into daily active users. I know that BBM isn't a popular download on Android anymore and haven't heard much good about it from iOS users. The few people I got to try it, ALL uninstalled it. It was killing their battery and the user base just never reached any kind of critical mass in this area.

To be honest they need a FULL featured app to be release ASAP! And it had better work well and not cause resource issues.... I'm not sure how many more times they will get people to try it.
    I just looked on the App Store. BBM isn't even a top 200 free app anymore. I believe it was when it launched. FaceBook Messenger is number two, Snapchat number 9, Whatsapp at number 31, kik at 32 and Google Hangouts at 186.

BBM is nowhere to be found.
    techvisor likes this.
    12-17-13 12:32 PM
    Haters are going to hate.. nothing new
    12-17-13 12:32 PM
    We will all know in due course.

Sent from whichever BBM carrying device I happen to grab, via Tapatalk
    12-17-13 12:35 PM
    I've downloaded it on my SG4 and I love it as well as my Android friends and my one lol loser buddy who still uses an iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    Really, I'd like to see a curbing of the bashing of users of other phones. We can do better than this.
    avt123, m1a1mg, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    12-17-13 12:47 PM
    No, each device has its own BlackBerry ID.

The messages go to the ID.
    Just so I understand. Let's say you have three devices. If someone BBMs any of your BlackBerry IDs, then you would have to check two additional devices to make sure you're not missing some message? How practical is this?
    12-17-13 12:53 PM
    Just so I understand. Let's say you have three devices. If someone BBMs any of your BlackBerry IDs, then you would have to check two additional devices to make sure you're not missing some message? How practical is this?
    So does this one person with three devices count as 3 downloads? In other words, could the 20 million downloads actually be 10 million active users (2 devices per person) or even 6.33 million users (3 devices per person)???

Conspiracy theory time lol, maybe this is why BB forces you to download and install the app using new BB ID's.........
    12-17-13 01:01 PM

I have always had more than one phone, since way back in 2002. I even had two personal BlackBerry devices running concurrently. For each instance of BBM that I am running on a particular device, the messages go to a particular BBM. Let's say I invited you to my Z. Your messages would show up to my Z but not to my iPhone or my SGIII unless I invited you to those devices from those devices.

Back when I was running my 9810 and my 9900 concurrently, it was the same thing. I would get messages on my 9810 that would not show up on my 9900.

Similarly, the BBM contacts on my work issued 9930 don't appear on any of my personal phones.

BBM follows the BlackBerry ID and not the person. I can have the same BlackBerry ID and use it sequentially, but not concurrently.

iPhone has several contacts and several CB group and family/friends.
    Z has several contacts and two CB groups.
    SGIII has only four contacts but many BBM groups from people I don't really interact with outside the groups.

I'm a geek. I've got three personal phone lines concurrently and I run three personal devices concurrently and I've got three instances of personal BBM concurrently and one work device with a separate BBM with only one personal contact on it in case of emergency.
    12-17-13 01:05 PM
    So does this one person with three devices count as 3 downloads? In other words, could the 20 million downloads actually be 10 million active users (2 devices per person) or even 6.33 million users (3 devices per person)???

Conspiracy theory time lol, maybe this is why BB forces you to download and install the app using new BB ID's.........
    No conspiracy theory needed. I'm a geek who loves phones and runs several from multiple platforms. I'm not the norm.

I do see many people with two devices, one personal and one work. The work comes with BBM already because it's a BlackBerry. The personal would be a download. Where is the conspiracy?
    12-17-13 01:06 PM
    I have always had more than one phone, since way back in 2002. I even had two personal BlackBerry devices running concurrently. For each instance of BBM that I am running on a particular device, the messages go to a particular BBM. Let's say I invited you to my Z. Your messages would show up to my Z but not to my iPhone or my SGIII unless I invited you to those devices from those devices.

Back when I was running my 9810 and my 9900 concurrently, it was the same thing. I would get messages on my 9810 that would not show up on my 9900.

Similarly, the BBM contacts on my work issued 9930 don't appear on any of my personal phones.

BBM follows the BlackBerry ID and not the person. I can have the same BlackBerry ID and use it sequentially, but not concurrently.

iPhone has several contacts and several CB group and family/friends.
    Z has several contacts and two CB groups.
    SGIII has only four contacts but many BBM groups from people I don't really interact with outside the groups.

I'm a geek. I've got three personal phone lines concurrently and I run three personal devices concurrently and I've got three instances of personal BBM concurrently and one work device with a separate BBM with only one personal contact on it in case of emergency.
    Interesting. When I logged onto BBM for the first time on my iPhone, all of my contacts and groups dating back to my 8330 (first BB) appeared on my device because they are associated with my BBID. I didn't have to re-add someone because I was on a particular device.
    12-17-13 01:10 PM
    Interesting. When I logged onto BBM for the first time on my iPhone, all of my contacts and groups dating back to my 8330 (first BB) appeared on my device because they are associated with my BBID.
    I kept my previous BB ID on my Z.

My iPhone was the same ID from my 9810. Both those came through.

My SGIII was a brand new ID.

avt123 likes this.
    12-17-13 01:12 PM
    Friday we will get active users for the quarter... that way it will "look" pretty impressive and can be used to try and monetize BBM by getting companies to pay for premium Channels. They are not going to come out an say "well we started out great, but by this week the active users on BBM has dropped to XX,XXX number of user.

R Field, if you had 24 BBM "friends" to begin with, then you are in a market that is already above normal. Either BlackBerry is popular where you live, are you have a number of internet "friends" you have never meet in your address book.
    I'm in Toronto so a hour away from BlackBerry HQ so yes it is popular here.

BlackBerry Z30 | 10.2.1.1055 | BBM Channel C0006E212
    12-17-13 01:32 PM
    Google store results reflect your local downloads. NOT national results, based on what I've heard. Also, people keep talking about Kik, and considering it's from Waterloo and I live in Waterloo and go to school here. I've never ever met someone who uses it, nor have I ever seen it pop up in a search on the Apple App store. In all honesty I had heard about it when it first came out, and thought it was out of business until recently because all the tech blogs seem to like to compare it with all the big name chat apps.

- Developer of PinGuin
    12-17-13 01:35 PM
    I kept my previous BB ID on my Z.

My iPhone was the same ID from my 9810. Both those came through.

My SGIII was a brand new ID.

Ah so you created a new ID for each? That makes more sense now. I thought you meant something different.
    12-17-13 01:36 PM
    Ah so you created a new ID for each? That makes more sense now. I thought you meant something different.
    Each one has a separate ID and two had been previously used. One was brand new.

The ones with a previously used ID came through intact. I got the regular "do you want to change" and the "your messages will stop" messages.

12-17-13 01:39 PM
    I'm sorry Saiga but that's not even remotely my experience with BBM on my SGIII.

Notifications appear on the notifications centre for me. Not on the home screen, true, but I do get my notifications.

As far as landscape, I admit I haven't tried that. Not even on my Z. I use all my phones in portrait, always. I suppose I should test that.

I am definately in the minority with the notification problem, but there are some of us out there and it appears to effect users at random, because it is on different devices even though others with those devices don't have the problem.

I did search for a solution briefly, but realized that I still don't need the app.

It is strange, the first version of the app had notifications that worked perfectly, but if I forced the app to auto rotate, (something I do with all apps on my Nexus devices) it would close. The new update rotates fine when forced to do so, but no notifications.

So the new update solved one of my personal complaints, but introduced another one. I realize that I'm one of the unlucky few though.
    12-17-13 01:50 PM
    I am definately in the minority with the notification problem, but there are some of us out there and it appears to effect users at random, because it is on different devices even though others with those devices don't have the problem.

It is strange, the first version of the app had notifications that worked perfectly, but if I forced the app to auto rotate, (something I do with all apps on my Nexus devices) it would close. The new update rotates fine when forced to do so, but no notifications.

So the new update solved one of my personal complaints, but introduced another one. I realize that I'm one of the unlucky few though.
    Ah and I lied.

I said I was going to try landscape and I haven't.

Hang on.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 01:52 PM
    Landscape still doesn't work on iOS (at least on my 5S). I am honestly shocked it's taking this long to add it. This is pretty basic functionality.
    12-17-13 01:54 PM
    Actually none of mine.rotate.

I never knew that.

Not even the z.

Why???????

Posted via CB10
    avt123 and Saiga like this.
    12-17-13 01:55 PM
    Actually none of mine.rotate.

I never knew that.

Not even the z.

Why???????

Posted via CB10
    It makes no sense. I prefer portrait mode anyways (on all of m devices), but landscape should be required. Especially when a keyboard is involved. Some people just cannot type in portrait mode.

Luckily for me, I am faster and more accurate in portrait.
    12-17-13 01:57 PM
    Weird none of my BBMs rotate.

Oh well.....no big deal to me, I always use portrait. If I try to do landscape my fingers don't reach. Itty bitty hands.....

12-17-13 01:59 PM
    It makes no sense. I prefer portrait mode anyways (on all of m devices), but landscape should be required. Especially when a keyboard is involved. Some people just cannot type in portrait mode.

Luckily for me, I am faster and more accurate in portrait.
    I only like portrait mode on a physical qwerty. My hands are big and I appreciate the extra room when in landscape mode on a full touch. If I absolutely have to, I can type in portrait on a full touch device, but I either have to slow down or deal with increased typos.
    12-17-13 02:25 PM
    Weird none of my BBMs rotate.

Oh well.....no big deal to me, I always use portrait. If I try to do landscape my fingers don't reach. Itty bitty hands.....

I you have a Z10, you can trick BBM into going to landscape mode by entering a conversation through the Hub while you're in landscape mode. Or at least that used to work. I haven't used a Z10 in a while though. Not sure if that will work with a Z30 or not.

Entering a conversation by first pressing the BBM icon means no auto-rotate though. It is one of the weirder inconsistencies with BlackBerry 10.
    12-17-13 02:28 PM
    I only like portrait mode on a physical qwerty. My hands are big and I appreciate the extra room when in landscape mode on a full touch. If I absolutely have to, I can type in portrait on a full touch device, but I either have to slow down or deal with increased typos.
    I have large hands (going by glove size lol), and I find myself over extending in landscape and hitting the wrong key all the time. I preferred landscape when the screens were smaller, but once I started using screens that were larger than or at least 4", portrait has been my go to keyboard orientation.
    12-17-13 02:31 PM
    Landscape still doesn't work on iOS (at least on my 5S). I am honestly shocked it's taking this long to add it. This is pretty basic functionality.
    It's the same on Android.
    12-17-13 02:55 PM
    It's the same on Android.
    And on BB10. I don't understand why.

EDIT- Wow, I just switched BBM back to my Z10 and then back to my iPhone and it deleted all of my conversations. Damnit.
    12-17-13 03:42 PM
52 123