BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY): BlackBerry BBM Is Totally Worthless [Facebook Inc, COMSCORE, Inc.] - Seeking Alpha

"The BBM messaging application, however, will prove to be nearly impossible to monetize."

It will monetize with BBM channels with ad space sold to businesses and promoting their channels its already been announced many times I guess you failed to do your research.

"Fake app reviews note"

If you check Google Play there are the same amount of 1 star fake reviews as there are 5 star. I fail to see how this helps the app.
    It also has over 500,000 Google+ recommendations.

"Vanilla app offering? "

I've used all the messaging IM clients and BBM is secure and the most robust offering out there I don't need to publish my phone number either.
    BBM will release the voice/video and channels to iOS and Android
    it will just get a lot bigger going forward.

"Active users "

At last quote they have over 80 MILLION active users not downloads. 60 million BlackBerry BBM users and at least 20 million from Android/iOS

You compared it to snapchat? Its not even a IM client its a picture sharing app....

Lastly do you know the valuation per user that Facebook/twitter/snapchat gets as valuation per user or did you just ignore that part?
    12-15-13 11:37 AM
    What would be interesting to see if a side by side comparison of WhatsApp subscriptions and compare it to BBM subscriptions when BBM went cross platform.

I know I ditched WhatsApp on my Z and my SGIII. As soon as WP gets BBM I'll ditch it frrom the iPhone.

As far as I'm concerned there is no comparison. I used it when there was no alternative, but as soon as BBMx happened, I jettisoned it.

It's growing and developing. It will kill WhatsApp in terms of functionality soon.
    12-15-13 11:43 AM
    Well, it is Seeking Alpha so...

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 11:45 AM
    Well, it is Seeking Alpha so...

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. SA is wrong with good news AND bad news.
    12-15-13 01:33 PM
    Being honest here, I dont realistically see any company paying BlackBerry to promote their business on channels.
    12-16-13 07:11 AM
    Being honest here, I dont realistically see any company paying BlackBerry to promote their business on channels.
    Not yet, they really need to roll it out to cross platform users, and then they also need to roll out at least voice calling to create another wave of downloads. If people can message, make calls, and share pics/content all within the app... then that's a lot of sellable eye-ball time.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 07:25 AM

At last quote they have over 80 MILLION active users not downloads. 60 million BlackBerry BBM users and at least 20 million from Android/iOS
    Source?
    techvisor likes this.
    12-16-13 07:32 AM
    12-16-13 10:00 AM
    Doubt that many of those "downloads" turned into daily active users. I know that BBM isn't a popular download on Android anymore and haven't heard much good about it from iOS users. The few people I got to try it, ALL uninstalled it. It was killing their battery and the user base just never reached any kind of critical mass in this area.

To be honest they need a FULL featured app to be release ASAP! And it had better work well and not cause resource issues.... I'm not sure how many more times they will get people to try it.
    12-16-13 12:02 PM
    Doubt that many of those "downloads" turned into daily active users. I know that BBM isn't a popular download on Android anymore and haven't heard much good about it from iOS users. The few people I got to try it, ALL uninstalled it. It was killing their battery and the user base just never reached any kind of critical mass in this area.

To be honest they need a FULL featured app to be release ASAP! And it had better work well and not cause resource issues.... I'm not sure how many more times they will get people to try it.
    What about active users and not downloads was not apparent in that statement?

BlackBerry Z30 | 10.2.1.1055 | BBM Channel C0006E212
    milo53 likes this.
    12-16-13 12:50 PM

I agree that it needs to be full featured.

And I am using it quite heavily in both my iPhone and my SGIII ever since getting it. And of course my Z.

As are all my family and friends who installed it. We had all used it when we were all on BlackBerry and we're all using it again.

I don't think it is accurate to think that those who downloaded it deleted it.

Sent from whichever BBM carrying device I happen to grab, via Tapatalk
    12-16-13 01:02 PM

A report written one week after launch is pretty much giving you both as the same thing.... Most people count active users on a monthly basis, so everyone that downloaded and signed into BBM became an active user... for at least the month of that report (October). Sure there are some that might have downloaded the app and never signed into BBM. The eight friends I had all I'm sure got counted as active users, even though after two weeks they were all gone. I'm afraid that the BBM active users, if looked at on a weekly baisc would be dropping, not increasing.

But then I don't live in an area where BBM enjoys 20% - 40% marketshare. In those areas I'm sure BBM is growing.... just not sure it off sets the number of BlackBerry owners that are leaving BBM and the BlackBerry hardware behind.
    12-16-13 01:52 PM
    Go look at the app App Annie global ranks for BBM for iOS and Google Play they're still strong in a lot of markets.

My BBM list didn't jump from 24 to over 80 for no reason.

12-16-13 02:56 PM
    I think we will learn all these numbers in four days.

12-16-13 03:43 PM
    I think we will learn all these numbers in four days.
    Friday we will get active users for the quarter... that way it will "look" pretty impressive and can be used to try and monetize BBM by getting companies to pay for premium Channels. They are not going to come out an say "well we started out great, but by this week the active users on BBM has dropped to XX,XXX number of user.

R Field, if you had 24 BBM "friends" to begin with, then you are in a market that is already above normal. Either BlackBerry is popular where you live, are you have a number of internet "friends" you have never meet in your address book.
    12-17-13 07:15 AM
    That's not how it works. Ads are done by ad services BlackBerry would subscribed to such as Google adsense, and are displayed based on the ad buyers criteria. For each impression or each click of the add depending on the criteria the ad host gets some money. They don't specifically choose to display their adds in BlackBerry channels. Take the ads in the Crackberry forums for example.. All from Google ad sense. Many of the companies advertising in the banner adds on the Crackberry forums may never even have heard of Crackberry, they send their ads to google and mark them for tech sites, Crackberry signs up as a Google adsense partner and marks itself as a tech site, ads are displayed and Crackberry gets paid per click. So go ahead and click on those ads by the way, the site owners thank you

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 07:29 AM
    Friday we will get active users for the quarter... that way it will "look" pretty impressive and can be used to try and monetize BBM by getting companies to pay for premium Channels. They are not going to come out an say "well we started out great, but by this week the active users on BBM has dropped to XX,XXX number of user.

R Field, if you had 24 BBM "friends" to begin with, then you are in a market that is already above normal. Either BlackBerry is popular where you live, are you have a number of internet "friends" you have never meet in your address book.
    I don't think that any platform reports on users who have removed apps so it would not make sense to expect BlackBerry to so it.

Also, there are some apps that I use sporadically but which I keep. An excellent example and very much related to the conversation is WhatsApp, which I have not used since BBMx launched but which I still have in one device. I haven't deleted but it's just "there."

I don't know how many BBM users there are now....but frankly they gained one on my SGIII and one on my iPhone and they're still there. It's the only IM I've been using. My contacts have increased from two loved ones and CB related contacts to 57 total family, friends, and still CB related members.

I feel that BBM is brilliant, I love it.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 08:05 AM
    I've downloaded it on my SG4 and I love it as well as my Android friends and my one lol loser buddy who still uses an iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 08:18 AM
    Yes worthless as much as any other mobile app. Or is it? Its up to you to decide. We have several mobile apps that went public for Christ sake and although I agree they are vulnerable as much as Facebook and Twitter, another fad might show up and wipe em all away, they are worth something at least on stock market
    12-17-13 09:08 AM
    I re-installed BBM for Android on my Nexus 4 the other day just to try out the newest version and it is honestly like they took one step forward and a giant tumble backwards.

I added some random PINs from Twitter and tested the app out with total strangers. I was able to do my modification and force BBM for Android to rotate into landscape mode and everything worked. I was able to type out messages, view chats, contacts and everything else while in landscape mode. A huge improvement over the stock app that is foolishly stuck in portrait. Even after the mod, the first versions of BBM for Android I tried would force close when in landscape, which was a deal breaker for me.

The only problem? Notifications weren't working. I undid the auto-rotate modifications and still the same thing. So I uninstalled and re-installed the app and left it completely stock, with the "Show Notifications" option checked in settings and still, I had no notifications. No noise, no LED, no drop down panel pop-up, absolutely nothing to alert me of a new message. So I look on the reviews in Google Play and notice that I'm not the only one with the problem.

BBM for Android should have stayed in the oven until it was perfect. With so many other good options available, I simply don't need BBM for Android and I've already wasted enough of my time screwing with it. I and many others won't be revisiting the app.
    techvisor likes this.
    12-17-13 09:26 AM
    BBM for Android should have stayed in the oven until it was perfect. With so many other good options available, I simply don't need BBM for Android and I've already wasted enough of my time screwing with it. I and many others won't be revisiting the app.
    I'm afraid that the failure of BB10 made BlackBerry desperate to get something on the market that could at least give the impression of having potential as a real money maker. It's just like with BB10.... if the program had been completed, full featured, stable and fully functional, it would have been a hit (or at least a good shot at it). But releasing beta version, with a promise of more to come.... that has lead to many trying it and then deleting it just as quickly. The question becomes, will they give it a 2nd or 3rd try. Or will the markets where BlackBerry and BBM still have enough marketshare to be relevant allow them a foothold that they can use to grow from?
    techvisor likes this.
    12-17-13 09:58 AM

In that link, Blackberry makes it clear that anyone who uses BBM even ONCE in a one month period is an 'active user'. SO basically, practically every single approved download was counted as an 'active user'.

We'll know the true picture soon enough.
    techvisor likes this.
    12-17-13 10:15 AM
    I re-installed BBM for Android on my Nexus 4 the other day just to try out the newest version and it is honestly like they took one step forward and a giant tumble backwards.

I added some random PINs from Twitter and tested the app out with total strangers. I was able to do my modification and force BBM for Android to rotate into landscape mode and everything worked. I was able to type out messages, view chats, contacts and everything else while in landscape mode. A huge improvement over the stock app that is foolishly stuck in portrait. Even after the mod, the first versions of BBM for Android I tried would force close when in landscape, which was a deal breaker for me.

The only problem? Notifications weren't working. I undid the auto-rotate modifications and still the same thing. So I uninstalled and re-installed the app and left it completely stock, with the "Show Notifications" option checked in settings and still, I had no notifications. No noise, no LED, no drop down panel pop-up, absolutely nothing to alert me of a new message. So I look on the reviews in Google Play and notice that I'm not the only one with the problem.

I'm sorry Saiga but that's not even remotely my experience with BBM on my SGIII.

Notifications appear on the notifications centre for me. Not on the home screen, true, but I do get my notifications.

On my iPhone the notifications show up on the icon just like on BlackBerry BBM.

You may be seeing a design and not a flaw.

As far as landscape, I admit I haven't tried that. Not even on my Z. I use all my phones in portrait, always. I suppose I should test that.

Last edited by qbnkelt; 12-17-13 at 11:27 AM.
    12-17-13 11:10 AM
    I'm sorry Saiga but that's not even remotely my experience with BBM on my SGIII.

Notifications appear on the notifications centre for me. Not on the home screen, true, but I do get my notifications.

On my iPhone the notifications show up on the icon just like on BlackBerry BBM.

You may be seeing a design and not a flaw.

As far as landscape, I admit I haven't tried that. Not even on my Z. I use all my phones in portrait, always. I suppose I should test that.

I've been wanting to ask someone who has BBM on multiple machines. When someone sends you a BBM message, do you get notifications on all the machines? When you reply on one machine, are your conversations replicated on the other machines?
    12-17-13 11:21 AM
    I've been wanting to ask someone who has BBM on multiple machines. When someone sends you a BBM message, do you get notifications on all the machines? When you reply on one machine, are your conversations replicated on the other machines?
    No, each device has its own BlackBerry ID.

The messages go to the ID.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 11:25 AM
52 123