Just curious on how everyone values the different pieces of BBRY, and how much you think each division/asset of BBRY is worth below to Mr. Market.

- Buildings / Real Estate / Machines etc.
    - BB10 and Hardware (phones only)
    - BB7 and Hardware (include all legacy BBOS)
    - QNX (Including automotive and medical)
    - NOC (servers and networks including its patents)
    - BES10 Related
    - All other misc patents (including those purchased from Nortel)

Am I missing anything else that might be of value?
    Last edited by capper96; 07-18-13 at 07:24 PM. Reason: edits
    07-18-13 07:22 PM
    Just curious on how everyone values the different pieces of BBRY, and how much you think each division/asset of BBRY is worth below to Mr. Market.

- Buildings / Real Estate / Machines etc.
    - BB10 and Hardware (phones only)
    - BB7 and Hardware (include all legacy BBOS)
    - QNX (Including automotive and medical)
    - NOC (servers and networks including its patents)
    - BES10 Division
    - All other misc patents (including those purchased from Nortel)
    Read their report. It will tell you what BBRY thinks.

ETA: I'll point you in the right direction: Investors - US
    07-18-13 07:23 PM
    Most likely a heck of a lot more than the market cap suggests, which is part of why I'm still holding onto my shares. The market cap stands at $4.7 billion right now, but BlackBerry has $3.1 billion in cash alone. In the scenario that they were to start selling bits off, I suspect QNX and the NOC would hold a heck of a lot of value, along with their patent portfolio.
    07-18-13 07:25 PM
    Well I guess lets say you were to work for Apple and your boss charged you to come up with an offer for BBRY and break it down to each piece, what would you turn into your boss for the offer. I am not interested in what BBRY "thinks" they are worth
    07-18-13 07:30 PM
    I am not interested in what BBRY "thinks" they are worth
    Seems you are interested in getting someone to do some work for you.

Things are only worth what you can get people to pay for them.
    07-18-13 07:33 PM
    Seems you are interested in getting someone to do some work for you.

Things are only worth what you can get people to pay for them.
    To a point, yes, but when you 3.1 billion in cash and equivalents, over 2 billion in patents, and hundreds of millions in real estate, that's well over the current market cap. That doesn't include factory assets, QNX (which I know would go cheap), or anything else. I can appreciate a low evaluation in the case of a fire sale but the cash can't lose value, the patents can come in under but there would be bidding on those which could keep them the same or even drive them higher, and real estate, well that's totally up in the air but it would still be in the hundreds of millions. The point is, they are worth far more than the market is currently indicating.
    07-18-13 07:56 PM
    To a point, yes, but when you 3.1 billion in cash and equivalents, over 2 billion in patents, and hundreds of millions in real estate, that's well over the current market cap. That doesn't include factory assets, QNX (which I know would go cheap), or anything else. I can appreciate a low evaluation in the case of a fire sale but the cash can't lose value, the patents can come in under but there would be bidding on those which could keep them the same or even drive them higher, and real estate, well that's totally up in the air but it would still be in the hundreds of millions. The point is, they are worth far more than the market is currently indicating.
    I certainly agree. I have no clue about real estate in Canada, but it's usually the wild card.

The patents are another story. I have no clue. As you say, if there were a bidding war, it could get crazy. BBRY has an exceptional patent library. But then again, who knows.

Finally, things would have to get really bad to go below the cash value.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    07-18-13 09:12 PM
    Another wild card is the value of unsold hardware. Microsoft wrote down $900M of Windows RT tablets yesterday. RIM wrote off $485M in Playbooks in Dec 2011. That vanishes immediately from book value.
    07-19-13 01:23 PM
    There will be no write off for BlackBerry. As much as you haters hope for it.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 04:45 PM
    every day that goes by their antiquated technology and brand loses more and more value. it's like a bag of potato chips that had a "sell by" date of 2006.
    07-19-13 04:47 PM