Over the past year, there have been a number of companies vilified on the CB forums because of real or perceived slights to BlackBerry.

Here were some assessments of these companies repeated in a number of threads.

NetFlix - Their CEO doesn't think BB is worth developing for. But who needs a NetFlix app, their content is crappy and they're going out of business anyway
    Best Buy - Also supposed to be on the way to bankruptcy. Claims of trash talking BB at point of sale and promoting other brands. The sales reps were mocked mercilessly
    Nokia - Premature victory for BB10 was declared shortly after BB10 was released. Was relegated to fourth place in the smartphone ecosystem.
    Yahoo - Marissa Mayer said that the company was moving away from BB phones. Yahoo widely ridiculed. "Do they still have any users?"

I thought it would be interesting to see how these "villains" were doing today.

Stock price YTD:
    bbry -11.5%
    nflx +227%
    bby +218%
    nok +57%
    yhoo +50%

Using hindsight, an investment in a "CrackBerry villain index fund" would have given incredible returns as opposed to investing in BBRY.

Technology in general did very well YTD. NASDAQ index is up +23%
    Last edited by notfanboy; 09-13-13 at 09:30 AM.
    09-12-13 10:52 AM
    Got to admit I am surprised at Yahoo doing as well as they are.

Netflix isnt so surprising. They did alot to try and get a better brand image after the debacle they went thru. they still provide a great service to millions of people.
    09-12-13 11:00 AM
    Best way to hedge any bets on BBRY -- the ""CrackBerry villain index fund" LOL
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    09-12-13 11:25 AM
    Best way to hedge any bets on BBRY -- the ""CrackBerry villain index fund" LOL
    If you invested $10,000 in the fund at the beginning of the year, you'd be sitting on $23,800 right now!
    09-12-13 11:32 AM
    CrackBerry Villains Index Fund = Brilliant
    09-12-13 11:41 AM
    Well, I suppose based on those numbers, good thing I didn't invest in BB.

Over the last year, AAPL down ~30%.

Hindsight is wonderful ain't it?
    09-12-13 11:56 AM

BlackBerry's stock woes are directly related to the failure of the company to perform.

Apples stock woes (if you can call a company that has shares at $470 a woe) is more related to too much hype - they went form $400 to $700 based solely on perception.

I sure wish someone had started this thread a long time ago.
    richardat likes this.
    09-12-13 12:04 PM
    Got to admit I am surprised at Yahoo doing as well as they are.
    Marissa Mayer is very forward looking and in touch with what's popular in Silicon Valley and amongst tech trendsetters. Tumbler was an excellent acquisition. I'm not surprised at Yahoo's performance.
    danprown likes this.
    09-12-13 12:14 PM
    Yahoo must be doing good somewhere. Not going to lie, today was the first time I typed yahoo.com into my URL bar. I quickly remembered why I stopped using that website 10+ years ago and it's because of how ugly it is with all the clutter/gossip thrown in my face.

So who is still using it because I read somewhere 800 million people..??!!
    09-12-13 02:52 PM
    Yahoo must be doing good somewhere. Not going to lie, today was the first time I typed yahoo.com into my URL bar. I quickly remembered why I stopped using that website 10+ years ago and it's because of how ugly it is with all the clutter/gossip thrown in my face.

So who is still using it because I read somewhere 800 million people..??!!
    I know six people with yahoo.com email accounts that they use reguallry. Heck I have one that is tied to my gmail account.... But for search, I have even taught about trying yahoo in a LONG time.
    09-12-13 03:32 PM
    Freakin' hilarious.

Especially funny is the Netflix boycott. Nothing else highlighted the absolute lack of lobbying power BB10 has as a platform like that one.
    09-12-13 03:36 PM
    Obviously the villain corporations are part of the NSA and US media conspiracy to bring Blackberry down.
    kevinnugent and Tre Lawrence like this.
    09-12-13 10:01 PM
    Obviously the villain corporations are part of the NSA and US media conspiracy to bring Blackberry down.
    You know it.
    09-12-13 10:22 PM
    I love this trap
    09-13-13 04:53 AM
    I think bloomberg needs to be added to this index fund due to all the baseless articles relying on anonymous sources. Too bad those articles often turn out to be right about BBRY
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-19-13 10:09 PM
    I think bloomberg needs to be added to this index fund due to all the baseless articles relying on anonymous sources. Too bad those articles often turn out to be right about BBRY
    Oh yes.

Bloomberg seems to have repeatedly scooped everyone over the last few months. It must be galling for the CB crew to be continually printing Bloomberg's byline on the CB front page over BB news that in other times would have been announced here first as if by divine right.

Maybe CB's inside source was part of the 4500?
    11-20-13 01:52 AM
    Over the past year, there have been a number of companies vilified on the CB forums because of real or perceived slights to BlackBerry.

Here were some assessments of these companies repeated in a number of threads.

Yahoo - Marissa Mayer said that the company was moving away from BB phones. Yahoo widely ridiculed. "Do they still have any users?"

yhoo +50%
    Man, I am disappointed. I am a huge user of Yahoo mail, as well as news. Some might call that discrimination on the BBRY nation.
    11-20-13 02:14 AM
    Oh yes.

Bloomberg seems to have repeatedly scooped everyone over the last few months. It must be galling for the CB crew to be continually printing Bloomberg's byline on the CB front page over BB news that in other times would have been announced here first as if by divine right.

Maybe CB's inside source was part of the 4500?
    Lucas at N4BB gets more scoops than CB these days, and his site not particularly popular. Makes you wonder what the attraction is.
    11-20-13 04:03 AM

Wait. Isn't Apple included in Crackberry Villains?

Posted from Z10 via CB10
    11-20-13 04:21 AM
    Lucas at N4BB gets more scoops than CB these days, and his site not particularly popular. Makes you wonder what the attraction is.

I found that most "news" can be found in the forums, before it makes it to the front page of CrackBerry. Usually a link to an article from another fan site or news agency. There is no doubt that CrackBerry lost some contacts. But it is also a real possibility that most of the team has "other" interest that are taking up more of their time these days. Not meant in a negative way.
    southlander likes this.
    11-20-13 08:20 AM
    I found that most "news" can be found in the forums, before it makes it to the front page of CrackBerry. Usually a link to an article from another fan site or news agency. There is no doubt that CrackBerry lost some contacts. But it is also a real possibility that most of the team has "other" interest that are taking up more of their time these days. Not meant in a negative way.
    Actually, that's probably true. Most of the team are MoNa generalists now it seems.
    11-20-13 10:14 PM
    I wanted to check in on the performance of my notional "CrackBerry villains index fund" launched 21 months ago on the date of the OP.

As it turns out, all the CrackBerry villains cited in the OP continue to beat BBRY in stock performance. If you look at companies CrackBerry hates and buy stock in those, you would have been better off than buying BBRY. Even with with the loser Best Buy, the villains index beat the market. Here's the data:

Sep 13 2013 to July 17, 2015
    Netflix up 176%
    Yahoo up 41%
    Nokia up 27%
    Best Buy down 11%
    BBRY down 28%
    Last edited by notfanboy; 07-18-15 at 08:35 AM.
    techvisor and sati01 like this.
    07-18-15 08:09 AM
    I wanted to check in on the performance of my notional "CrackBerry villains index fund" launched 21 months ago on the date of the OP.

As it turns out, all the CrackBerry villains cited in the OP continue to beat BBRY in stock performance. If you look at companies CrackBerry hates and buy stock in those, you would have been better off than buying BBRY. Even with with the loser Best Buy, the villains index beat the market. Here's the data:

Netflix up 176%
    Yahoo up 41%
    Nokia up 27%
    Best Buy down 11%
    BBRY down 28%
    How about adding MOBL, MS, AAPL?

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 12:28 PM
    Ah yes indeed, those are some fine CrackBerry villains. Morgan Stanley because of James Faucette and their alleged "manipulation" of BBRY stock

Netflix up 176%
    * Apple up 82%
    * Google up 53%
    * Morgan Stanley up 50%
    Yahoo up 41%
    Nokia up 27%
    Best Buy down 11%
    BBRY down 28%
    * MOBL down 44%
    techvisor likes this.
    07-19-15 01:15 PM