(Reuters) - BlackBerry on Friday reported a quarterly loss and forecast an operating loss in the current quarter as results came in way below analysts' expectations, sending its shares tumbling 17 percent before the market opened.

The smartphone maker reported a net loss of $84 million, or 16 cents a share, in the fiscal first quarter ended June 1. That compared with a year-earlier loss of $518 million, or 99 cents a share.

Excluding one-time items, Waterloo, Ontario-based BlackBerry reported a loss from continuing operations of $67 million, or 13 cents a share, on revenue of $3.1 billion. Analysts, on average, expected earnings of 6 cents a share, on revenue of $3.36 billion, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S Estimates.

Shipments rose in the quarter, but the company gave no breakdown on how many of its smartphone sales came from the new BB10 devices. It is betting the new phones will help it win back some of the market share lost to aggressive competitors.

BlackBerry shares fell 17.2 percent to $11.98 in early U.S. trading.
    richardat likes this.
    06-28-13 07:05 AM
    (Reuters) - BlackBerry on Friday reported a quarterly loss and forecast an operating loss in the current quarter as results came in way below analysts' expectations, sending its shares tumbling 17 percent before the market opened.

The smartphone maker reported a net loss of $84 million, or 16 cents a share, in the fiscal first quarter ended June 1. That compared with a year-earlier loss of $518 million, or 99 cents a share.

Excluding one-time items, Waterloo, Ontario-based BlackBerry reported a loss from continuing operations of $67 million, or 13 cents a share, on revenue of $3.1 billion. Analysts, on average, expected earnings of 6 cents a share, on revenue of $3.36 billion, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S Estimates.

Shipments rose in the quarter, but the company gave no breakdown on how many of its smartphone sales came from the new BB10 devices. It is betting the new phones will help it win back some of the market share lost to aggressive competitors.

BlackBerry shares fell 17.2 percent to $11.98 in early U.S. trading.
    The shorts are laughing all the way to the bank.
    06-28-13 07:07 AM
    I really thought that shares would either be up, albeit not over the top up...
    06-28-13 07:16 AM
    Anyone who can actually think logically saw this one coming a mile away. Why is it wrong for us to gloat? We earned it though our intellectual ability.
    06-28-13 02:49 PM
    Anyone who can actually think logically saw this one coming a mile away. Why is it wrong for us to gloat? We earned it though our intellectual ability.
    Basically gloating at others misfortune. Seems pretty immature. Now if you had shorted the stock, and made a killing today, then good for you. But still no reason to "gloat"...

With that said, I'm not expecting much maturity from someone with pedobear as their avatar. Trolls will be trolls.
    06-28-13 03:08 PM
    So now would be a great time to buy, yes?

"In vino veritas, in aqua sanitas."
    06-28-13 06:08 PM
    The operating loses forecast on this current quarter pretty much tells how good Q10 and Q5 will be selling.
    06-28-13 06:41 PM