http://www.zdnet.com/canada-keeping-...ry-7000019737/

Any chance of a Canadian bailout? Maybe a big government loan would help save BlackBerry's fortune. It's not really where that article is going but you never know.

It ain't EZ being greezy on CBZ
    08-22-13 09:47 AM
    I havent looked for the article I believe the Canadian government has publicly stated that this wouldnt happen, and I dont believe it should. Giving them more cash wont necessarily change any long term prospects if they go downhill.
    08-22-13 10:03 AM
    I wouldn't think it's not a possibility, you never know these days.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 10:03 AM
    They had no issues tossing billions to the US auto industry only to have them threaten to close Canadian factories but God forbid they toss BlackBerry a bone

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 10:07 AM
    Canada keeping 'close eye' on ailing BlackBerry | ZDNet

Any chance of a Canadian bailout? Maybe a big government loan would help save BlackBerry's fortune. It's not really where that article is going but you never know.

Who knows, if enough Canadian citizens demand it...

But BlackBerry has $3Billion right? How much more do they need from the government?

Let's be honest, is money going to save BlackBerry? Could they just start over and do an do another launch in six months, a year?

The Bailouts that most companies got a few years ago were to companies that had a viable business, but got caught in a market down turn that affected most everyone in the same sector. And those companies going under would have made things worse in the long run.

Have no idea how losing BlackBerry would affect the Canadian economy. But just throwing money at BlackBerry isn't going to change the fact that people aren't buying what BlackBerry is selling.
    kfh227, Etios and JeepBB like this.
    08-22-13 10:08 AM
    Why not? The US and Canadian gov'ts bailed out the auto industry. If ECC encryption is the crown jewels to gov't security, it is clearly very very strategic and needs to be supported.
    08-22-13 10:11 AM
    Agree with ScaleMaster, they don't need a bailout.

Bailouts happen to save companies from bankruptcy. Despite the headlines, BlackBerry is far from requiring a bailout or refinancing of any sort.
    kfh227 and mset like this.
    08-22-13 10:12 AM
    The Canadian government can start by buying a crapload of phones. Let?s go.....what's taking them so long

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 10:17 AM
    Why would you bailout a company with 70m users and 3b cash? The z10 sales broke records and are very encouraging. Over 120000 apps. The most apps for a os so new. Z10 buyers are flocking from ios and android. There is nothing wrong with bbry. Why would they need a bailout?
    08-22-13 10:34 AM
    The Canadian government can start by buying a crapload of phones. Let?s go.....what's taking them so long

Posted via CB10
    They are like EVERYONE else... they are waiting to see it BB10 is a success before investing millions to support it.

If BB10 had been a simple "upgrade" to existing devices and existing servers...you would have a lot less waiting going on and a platform would be growing without even selling devices! If QNX was so POWERFUL and SIMPLE a kernel, why couldn't a basic version of BB10 have been built to run on a single core 800Mhz processor with 512MB of RAM? BlackBerry reached too far and tried to do too much with BB10 - HUB is great, but I think in the end it killed BlackBerry.
    08-22-13 10:34 AM
    BB10 is a fantastic operating system, probably the best out there. The main thing hurting BlackBerry is their public image (mainly in the States) and marketing (which there is plenty of in Canada). Not to mention the big name apps they are lacking.

I think they are lacking the funds to repair their tarnished image in the states and pay developers to bring more apps. Does 3 billion really go that far with a company the size of BlackBerry ?

08-22-13 10:56 AM
    What bailout?????? From what? All I read on here tells me they have plenty of money and now they need a bailout?????

So which is it? Plenty of money or in need of a bailout? If in need of a bailout I guess it was bs about them having plenty of money and no debt.
    21stNow and JeepBB like this.
    08-22-13 11:17 AM
    Why would you bailout a company with 70m users and 3b cash? The z10 sales broke records and are very encouraging. Over 120000 apps. The most apps for a os so new. Z10 buyers are flocking from ios and android. There is nothing wrong with bbry. Why would they need a bailout?

Josh what records did it break ? It onlt broke bbry sales records
    of 120k apps most are ebooks and they say 47k of them are from one company s4bb
    quantity doesnt equal quality
    Donvald likes this.
    08-22-13 11:32 AM
    If z10 sold 10m they would be an inch from breaking records they arent even close
    thorstein exagerated when he said it beats our expectations
    Donvald likes this.
    08-22-13 11:34 AM
    BlackBerry is not in need of cash. You only bail out a company that can't pay its bills. BlackBerry doesn't have this problem.

Maybe the Canadian government can upgrade their legacy devices to new BlackBerry 10 devices... now that would help.
    dusdal likes this.
    08-22-13 11:49 AM
    THIS DOESNT MAKE SENSE.They are not in debt by any means so why would they be bailed out? The US bailed out the Compaines that owed money to their creditors.
    dusdal likes this.
    08-22-13 11:50 AM
    If z10 sold 10m they would be an inch from breaking records they arent even close
    thorstein exagerated when he said it beats our expectations
    They could have beating their own in house sales records. Back when BlackBerry was a big name in the smartphone market, selling a few 100K device in a week was a major accomplishment. And as a company with less than 5% of the market today a single device being "shipped" in the millions might have been a big accomplishment for them. What Apple or Samsung do on a weekly basis is unimaginable for BB in a whole quarter.

It all a matter of scale with a little smoke and mirrors thrown in
    08-22-13 12:00 PM
    As suggested support by implementing BES10 and bb10 would be a help but I do not see funding as the issue
    08-22-13 12:12 PM
    The Canadian Government is already billions of dollars in debt lol I dont think they could afford doing that even if they wanted to
    08-22-13 12:18 PM
    The Canadian Government is already billions of dollars in debt lol I dont think they could afford doing that even if they wanted to
    Adding a couple of billions is like adding a straw of hay on top of the stack for the government since their debt is too big that it keeps piling up to the top of Mount Everest!

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 12:38 PM
    The only record they couldve even broken were their own records or broken promises
    08-22-13 01:08 PM
    Canadian government will not bailout blackbeery ,secondly it does not change the longer fortunes of company
    08-22-13 01:14 PM
    what records did they break? LOL
    08-22-13 01:45 PM
    Josh what records did it break ? It onlt broke bbry sales records
    of 120k apps most are ebooks and they say 47k of them are from one company s4bb
    quantity doesnt equal quality
    they approve any apps just to jack up the number
    08-22-13 01:48 PM
    This is all hypothetical. BlackBerry does have 3 billion in "cash" but how easily they can access it is beyond me. That cash should be enough to sustain them for years and years, but a direct influx if used properly might be enough to take them to the next level ie. profitability.

I'm just curious if there is any chance of something similar to what the US automakers got happening in Canada. What's the big deal if they can do the proper studies to find out what they need and secure a government loan?

08-22-13 01:54 PM
41 12