11-08-15 01:46 PM
259 ... 34567 ...
tools
    I expected something in the realm of 14 or so. I think increasingly thorsten Heinz is not a capable CEO. No backbone to stand up, talk charismatic, get into details, work up riveting commercials, line up many avenues like software, channels like radio, hulu or netflix, ...
    His keynote introducing bb10 was nothing like Steve jobs or heck, even Steve ballmer.

Carlos Ghosn - the Nissan guy, is who we need.
    09-23-13 09:00 PM
    Much of the TA was likely fueled by Statcounter and Seeking Alpha information.

Notice that the stock closed BELOW the "offer"...
    semperfi45 likes this.
    09-23-13 09:03 PM
    The whole thread is a cautionary tale on the perils of being emotionally attached to your investment. Also on the dangers of confirmation bias. They only listened to opinions which supported their own wishes, and ignored, literally, any contrary opinions. Someone could write a case study about it. If certainly love to read it.
    Blackberry is a future business school case study. That thread could be a case study for psychology students.
    danprown and mset like this.
    09-23-13 09:10 PM
    U got to be kidding. I think the watsa fellow just wants to cash in on the patents. He knows they are worth something. He will spin off the auto piece separately, other RTOS bits separately and the phone company to rot and die a quick death since he can write off the loss against the patent sale profits. Color me negative, but iam so down in the red due to these guys - nearly $40k down - my fault I know but got to vent ...
    09-23-13 09:13 PM
    Really glad that development on BB10 will continue.
    Not sure if joking, but from the statement it seems they will be getting out of the phone business.

"We can deliver immediate value to shareholders, while we continue the execution of a long-term strategy in a private company with a focus on delivering superior and secure enterprise solutions to BlackBerry customers around the world.""
    danprown likes this.
    09-23-13 09:17 PM
    Dunno why you guys are being *****... some of those who posted TA charts have made more money off this stock than probably 99% of the members here. They were just explaining to us their strategy.
    The only ones who made money off BB stock are those who shorted it
    notfanboy likes this.
    09-23-13 09:18 PM
    Why would anyone buy stock, prepared to lose? What the hell kind of investment strategy is that?
    Why would anyone buy BB shares? the smart ones shorted the stock
    09-23-13 09:27 PM
    How do you figure that? I've been following the "I support BBRY..." thread and based on their own postings, the gurus are losing money on the stock. And anyone who believed in their prognostications and acted on them are also losing a lot of money.

It's not even a case of you win some, you lose some. The gurus where reliably and consistently wrong most of the time. The TA charts the posted for some reason signalled a bullish movement 90% of the time. But if you look at the stock, it is more down that it is up. Even a monkey flipping a coin would have done better than the gurus.

A few weeks ago, there were some people asking for advice. They had a feeling that the stock price would drop at the next earnings report and they asked if it was a good idea to sell now and buy in after the earnings report. The chief chartist told them this was a bad idea, even saying that if they sold they would lose out on a $4 upside.

Of course we all know what happened last Friday and today. Instead of the predicted 35% gain, anyone who followed that advice would have lost 20%. That's a 55% swing.

The chief chartist posted a pretty graph on Friday morning, again with a bullish prediction. Then the stock was halted and the stock dropped 18%. But this did not faze him, not in the least. There was not a single mea culpa, not even a hint of admission that maybe he was slightly mistaken. He went on a posting spree confidently explaining that what happened was should not have come as a surprise and that everyone expected it.

Don't get me wrong. This wasn't a one time thing. It happened last ER as well. It happened practically every time the stock dipped down.

When I get the time, I'll dig back and bring up the links. It's one of the most remarkable things I've seen in the internet. Extremely fascinating.
    So much misinformation in that thread.

Sent From My New IPad using Tapatalk
    09-23-13 09:46 PM
    BBRY has always been a spec play since the beginning of last year, especially after that run up. I am just miffed that Fairfax took advantage of the preliminary warning on the take-under and set an egg timer.
    Last edited by mrskycar; 09-24-13 at 12:11 AM.
    09-23-13 09:49 PM
    I told everyone in the "I love bb I buy shares" thread that the stock was volatile (mind you this was almost two years ago) and that they should avoid until they see multiple successful quarters from Blackberry. I can't feel bad for those that threw good money after a bad company.

Sent From My New IPad using Tapatalk
    danprown likes this.
    09-23-13 09:57 PM
    Averaged down to $27/share from $65/share...
    1700 shares...
    67% loss, $32,000 gone...
    Continued to throw good money at bad investment...
    My own fault but still PISSED!!!!!
    I lost $19 000 Canadian. I leant it had way. Thanks for sharing...........
    09-23-13 10:06 PM
    Guys, Guys, if it makes you feel any better... Heins walks away with 56 million if the deal goes through.
    09-23-13 10:18 PM
    I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be happy that BlackBerry was sold, but as a stock holder, I'm definitely not. $9 a share is crap.

Posted via CB10
    Watch this video BlackBerry Gets Tentative $4.7 Billion Deal to Go Private - Bloomberg

Fairfax does not have the money to buy Blackberry and if they cannot find the financing and the deal does not go through, they still get $157 millions from BB...
    09-23-13 10:31 PM
    But they posted technical analysis charts!?
    People say all sorts of things.
    As adults, shouldn't we take responsibility for making our own judgements and decisions?
    09-23-13 10:41 PM
    Maybe HTTrack to scoop up the whole thread or one particular poster, package it as an ebook and sell it and return the money to the forum members

How do you figure that? I've been following the "I support BBRY..." thread and based on their own postings, the gurus are losing money on the stock. And anyone who believed in their prognostications and acted on them are also losing a lot of money.

It's not even a case of you win some, you lose some. The gurus where reliably and consistently wrong most of the time. The TA charts the posted for some reason signalled a bullish movement 90% of the time. But if you look at the stock, it is more down that it is up. Even a monkey flipping a coin would have done better than the gurus.

A few weeks ago, there were some people asking for advice. They had a feeling that the stock price would drop at the next earnings report and they asked if it was a good idea to sell now and buy in after the earnings report. The chief chartist told them this was a bad idea, even saying that if they sold they would lose out on a $4 upside.

Of course we all know what happened last Friday and today. Instead of the predicted 35% gain, anyone who followed that advice would have lost 20%. That's a 55% swing.

The chief chartist posted a pretty graph on Friday morning, again with a bullish prediction. Then the stock was halted and the stock dropped 18%. But this did not faze him, not in the least. There was not a single mea culpa, not even a hint of admission that maybe he was slightly mistaken. He went on a posting spree confidently explaining that what happened was should not have come as a surprise and that everyone expected it.

Don't get me wrong. This wasn't a one time thing. It happened last ER as well. It happened practically every time the stock dipped down.

When I get the time, I'll dig back and bring up the links. It's one of the most remarkable things I've seen in the internet. Extremely fascinating.
    09-23-13 10:50 PM
    Watch this video BlackBerry Gets Tentative $4.7 Billion Deal to Go Private - Bloomberg

Fairfax does not have the money to buy Blackberry and if they cannot find the financing and the deal does not go through, they still get $157 millions from BB...
    I don't think that's correct. Fairfax will get a break fee if an alternate purchaser is found. There is no way you can solicit companies on a takeover bid and get break fees if you don't have the money to complete. Actually it is highly unusual for a bid to be made and accepted by the board without financing in place. Fairfax has become a stalking horse and clearly the board is trying to stir up some real market interest and hopefully prevent a free fall in the share price. Typically I would expect a board of directors to downplay any offer where there is no strong evidence of financing. If no competing bids emerge, it will be interesting to see what happens. The bid price of $4.7 billion is a heck of a lot of money to raise.
    danprown likes this.
    09-23-13 10:51 PM
    Averaged down to $27/share from $65/share...
    1700 shares...
    67% loss, $32,000 gone...
    Continued to throw good money at bad investment...
    My own fault but still PISSED!!!!!

That's painful.
    09-23-13 11:03 PM
    ...the gurus are losing money on the stock. And anyone who believed in their prognostications and acted on them are also losing a lot of money.

It's not even a case of you win some, you lose some. The gurus where reliably and consistently wrong most of the time. The TA charts the posted for some reason signalled a bullish movement 90% of the time.
    For the record, the BBRY chart has not provided a bullish EOD signal since late 2012. I don't know who the 'chief chartist' in that thread is (a name would be appreciated so I could search his posts) but if he said that BBRY had shown a bullish signal EOD anytime this year, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I feel badly for people who lost money by basing their trading decisions on what they heard here. The stock markets tend to teach expensive lessons.
    09-23-13 11:31 PM
    The only ones who made money off BB stock are those who shorted it
    Yeah... The irony is that those who were long on the stock and believed in the products and the company got screwed by the company and the shorts profited.
    09-23-13 11:38 PM
    Blackberry is a future business school case study. That thread could be a case study for psychology students.
    RIM / BlackBerry will be more than a case study, it will be an entire course!

It's just mind numbing to think that Apple is reporting 9 Million iPhones sold over the weekend and since the Friday launch, when BB announced the upcoming writedown of probably 1.2 - 1.5 million phones that they haven't been able to sell in 6 months! ... Apple could increase the Fairfax offer to over $5 B just using revenue from the last 3 days!
    09-23-13 11:43 PM

I think you read this wrong. If BlackBerry finds another buyer in six weeks and terminates their deal with Fairfax, then Fairfax gets $157 million. If BlackBerry signs an agreement to complete the deal but terminates, then Fairfax gets $261 million.

If Fairfax can't get financing, they just walk away... and the stock will probably go into free fall again, especially since BlackBerry dropped all the negative news and killed the positive news from earlier in last week (Z30, 10.2, etc.).
    09-23-13 11:49 PM
    I am angry because I perceive insider manipulation. Not merely because the stock price went down.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 11:50 PM
    It's just mind numbing to think that Apple is reporting 9 Million iPhones sold over the weekend and since the Friday launch, when BB announced the upcoming writedown of probably 1.2 - 1.5 million phones that they haven't been able to sell in 6 months! ... Apple could increase the Fairfax offer to over $5 B just using revenue from the last 3 days!
    Apple is really smart how they report this. The first days' sales are incredible even if they're not all delivered on the first day. The phones are distributed over a month. With the huge lines, you're very likely to buy in the store even if you can't have it that day, which guarantees the sale. After the first few days, sales drop off rapidly, otherwise Apple would be reporting 100's of millions in a quarter.

This isn't to excuse BlackBerry for poor marketing and execution; it's just to say Apple is very smart how they report things.
    09-24-13 12:09 AM
    A list should be compiled of the "experts" around here swearing the market was wrong and they had a $12-15 / share valuation. These people should never be trusted.
    Prem Watsa himself said it was worth $40 a share. But he's not stupid. Let's hope this is the first of many offers. Don't count on it though.
    09-24-13 12:28 AM
    Do shareholders not get a vote to accept of reject the offer?

Posted via CB10
    This has to go through shareholders.
    09-24-13 12:59 AM
259 ... 34567 ...