I vote apple
    10-05-13 10:38 PM
    YES! LG has a lot of new types of touch screen appliances. Fridges and Washer/Dryers and all that. Plus they could move away from android if they want... something to set their phones apart from the 'other' androids
    Lg has web os.
    10-05-13 11:32 PM
    It would be ironic if LG buys BlackBerry after most LGs ditched there white Curves for iPhones.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 11:35 PM
    Out of the companies mentioned that are interested, Cisco seems to make the most sense. They are slowly getting into the mobile market and a partnership with BlackBerry would help them further that. They would make a good partnership! I'm so curious to see what BlackBerry's future looks like.. But from the looks of it, it seems to be bright! BlackBerry will survive!!!
    10-06-13 01:05 AM
    I vote for Cisco because QNX is the micro kernel running Cisco's high-end carrier-grade routers. Furthermore, Cisco is a actively involved in creating the "Internet of Things" or as they call it "Internet of Everything." They share the same vision as Blackberry in this respect.

The future of the mobile Internet is so far beyond what today's smartphones are capable of. This battle is not over. Blackberry are looking beyond smartphones that just run consumer apps and take pretty pictures that you can then send to Instagram.

Imagine your Blackberry BB10 smartphone interacting with everything around you - your car, your air conditioner, your fridge, medical equipment in a hospital, scientific equipment at CERN, etc.

Try to imagine the future, just try.
    mset likes this.
    10-06-13 01:59 AM
    BBRY is done either way regardless of which of those companies buy them out...
    And why are you bothering then???
    10-06-13 03:06 AM
    I vote for Cisco because QNX is the micro kernel running Cisco's high-end carrier-grade routers. Furthermore, Cisco is a actively involved in creating the "Internet of Things" or as they call it "Internet of Everything." They share the same vision as Blackberry in this respect.

The future of the mobile Internet is so far beyond what today's smartphones are capable of. This battle is not over. Blackberry are looking beyond smartphones that just run consumer apps and take pretty pictures that you can then send to Instagram.

Imagine your Blackberry BB10 smartphone interacting with everything around you - your car, your air conditioner, your fridge, medical equipment in a hospital, scientific equipment at CERN, etc.
    Everything about this post sounds right except for the bit about 'imagine your BB10 smartphone...'. That's what's not likely to happen. I have read enough about QNX to realize, even as a non-techie, that there's value there. As you say, a firm like Cisco might be able to leverage the value of BBRY's patent portfolio and knowledge trove.

However, it's unlikely to have anything to do with cell phones, at least not Blackberry branded ones.

One problem is that it's pretty clear, at this point, that there's a brain trust issue at BBRY. There are probably a lot of really great engineers in Waterloo, but the vision guys have either left or couldn't adapt to changing conditions in their market. Maybe what a firm like Cisco can provide is the intellectual capital necessary to really leverage BBRY's assets.
    10-06-13 04:07 AM
    IF, and it's still a big IF, any company is bidding, it probably isn't going to be for the handset business. Cisco or SAP would probably run with the networking and services, but they would not want the handset business. It just makes no sense.
    10-06-13 07:29 AM
    Out of the companies mentioned that are interested, Cisco seems to make the most sense. They are slowly getting into the mobile market and a partnership with BlackBerry would help them further that. They would make a good partnership! I'm so curious to see what BlackBerry's future looks like.. But from the looks of it, it seems to be bright! BlackBerry will survive!!!

After the flip failure, Cisco is staying away from the prosumer consumer space.
    10-06-13 07:35 AM
    After the flip failure, Cisco is staying away from the prosumer consumer space.
    And Linksys, and their tablet that never saw the light of day.
    10-06-13 07:37 AM
    I think Google is the best thing for BlackBerry.

No more side loading, full access to Google Play store.

AND BB10 will exist. Google will offer it up as an elite form of Android i.e secure.

I cant see Google tampering with blackberry except making sure, that Android apps will be run on it fully.

Which is the best thing for BB.
    This is my thinking as well. But would they only allow Android apps?
    10-06-13 12:02 PM
    Google will kill BB10 and use the patents for its Android. Don't know about Cisco and SAP intentions.
    What patents does BlackBerry own that are relevant today?
    10-06-13 12:18 PM
    I believe they have security, antenna, keyboard, and push related patents that will be useful to somebody.

Sent from my HTC One using CB Forums mobile app
    10-06-13 02:29 PM
    What patents does BlackBerry own that are relevant today?
    Interesting read:
    http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2013/10/06...erry/id=45603/

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 02:46 PM
    BlackBerry is in top 5 when it comes to patents

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 08:53 PM
    This makes me think Samsung almost has no choice but to buy BB if it wants to compete with Apple and Google. It also suggest that Google and MSFT must stop any tech giant from buying BB if they want to compete with apple, samsung in next 5 years. THis is last big chance to get OS, patents, real state, Car OS QNX to gain car market share.

Why Samsung should buy BlackBerry (please!)
    10-06-13 11:25 PM
    LOL, you think sales matter? GM had 100B+ sales, went to bankruptcy.

Go goolge how much profile LG made last quarter, is it so hard?
    A company may still invest in some of its operating/non-operating sectors, as long as it sees an opportunity, even it's writing loss in a balance sheet. That's how it works in business sector. And from earnings report of LG (2Q13):
    3Q13 Outlook
    * Market : Expect the smartphone market size to increase, especially for LTE phone market, but competition to intensify for market share gains
    * LGE : Plan to enhance LG�s smartphone brand power by strengthening product competitiveness in the premium segment with the global launch of G2 while continuously increasing sales from masstier phones, L-series Ⅱ and F-series

But my question remains: Will LG bother? BBRY is huge to swallow. Even for LG, Samsung, Google, Cisco. etc.
    10-07-13 12:26 AM
    BlackBerry..A SAP Company..Looks nice also..LOL

Posted via CB10
    Have you ever worked with SAP software?

I prefer Oracle.
    10-07-13 06:41 AM
    Neither Cisco nor SAP would continue any part of BB hardware.
    (And pretty doubtful whether LG or Google would either.)

Cisco and SAP primarily deal in high margin enterprise software/networks. Their profit margin makes Apples pale in comparison.

So if you either of those two companies, and could choose between launching your own enterprise cellphone (in a highly competitive market with 10-20% profit margins) or enterprise software for existing cellphones (a business you're used to, with profit margins above 50%) what would you choose?

What they're after is BBRYs networks business. BB10 and the hardware will fall by wayside, since Cisco already have their own operating systems, and wouldn't want to take on another one, especially since they could have bought it years ago and passed.
    10-07-13 08:16 AM
    Have you ever worked with SAP software?

I prefer Oracle.
    So do I.

Btw, I've never worked with either. I just like Larry Ellison.
    Last edited by birdman_38; 10-07-13 at 06:57 PM.
    10-07-13 08:32 AM
    Didn't see it linked here yet, but here is the G&M story

BlackBerry shares rise on interest from strategic buyers - The Globe and Mail
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    10-07-13 05:33 PM
    BBRY is done either way regardless of which of those companies buy them out...
    Not sure about that.... I think this is good news.
    10-07-13 10:47 PM

I'm trying to imagine a company that fails to deliver over and over again delivering the future... I just can't make the leap.
    10-08-13 04:17 AM
    So do I.

Btw, I've never worked with either. I just like Larry Ellison.
    I don't agree with him 100%. But, I respect him in the fact that he has no problem spending millions of dollars on a boat, wrecking it and then spending millions more. He's not like some other billionaires who sit around a whine about the fact that they are rich and other people are rich and that everyone should give away their money to the government (except themselves) so that they feel better about being rich (all the while putting up road blocks preventing others from getting rich).

Beyond that, I think Oracle would be a perfect match for BlackBerry. They have a very strong history of merging companies and creating a better product out of the merger. They support Open Source projects, even if it is a competition to their own software. They have no current foot print in the mobile sector. BlackBerry/QNX would be a good addition for Oracle to help complete their business to business to customer to business cycle.
    10-08-13 06:19 AM
    I don't agree with him 100%. But, I respect him in the fact that he has no problem spending millions of dollars on a boat, wrecking it and then spending millions more. He's not like some other billionaires who sit around a whine about the fact that they are rich and other people are rich and that everyone should give away their money to the government (except themselves) so that they feel better about being rich (all the while putting up road blocks preventing others from getting rich).

Beyond that, I think Oracle would be a perfect match for BlackBerry. They have a very strong history of merging companies and creating a better product out of the merger. They support Open Source projects, even if it is a competition to their own software. They have no current foot print in the mobile sector. BlackBerry/QNX would be a good addition for Oracle to help complete their business to business to customer to business cycle.
    did you ever see Oracle sell a consumer product? even in enterprise hardware sells, it is not doing well right now.

wishful thinking does not help trade stock at all
    10-08-13 08:15 AM
129 ... 3456