I just re-read the piece. Other than the $3.1B mistake, it sounds good. But what caught me the second time around is this:

The company, based in Waterloo, Ontario, has asked for preliminary expressions of interest from potential strategic buyers, which also include Intel Corp and Asian companies LG and Samsung, by early next week.

Is BBRY actively seeking out buyers, or is something else going on.
    10-04-13 08:26 PM
    All potential buyers looking to buy a nice house with furniture they don't need
    10-04-13 08:27 PM
    How much would Google pay for those patents? You'd think if Google was in play, Apple may jump in just because they have the cash to block their biggest competitor as well as get their hands on some valuable assets.

Posted via CB10
    Not a patent attorney by any stretch, but I've read that Google didn't come out so well with the Motorola patents.

Summary: A judge found in favor of Microsoft in a patent spat with Motorola, indicating that Google grossly overpaid for the smartphone maker, despite the patent protection it was given.
    Microsoft, Motorola ruling: Google patents not worth billions | ZDNet
    10-04-13 08:29 PM
    Not down for Google to own BlackBerry, scrap BB10, then use the patents to further Android.

It gives me a sick feeling.

Cisco and SAP on the other hand........it would solidify their presence in business and enterprise, and we could see a continuation of devices down the road.
    I'm trying to understand why you would think Google, the company with smartphone technology expertise (by virtue of their partners) would kill off BlackBerry devices but Cisco and SAP who don't would continue the hardware side of the business.
    10-04-13 08:42 PM
    Not down for Google to own BlackBerry, scrap BB10, then use the patents to further Android.

It gives me a sick feeling.

Cisco and SAP on the other hand........it would solidify their presence in business and enterprise, and we could see a continuation of devices down the road.
    It wouldn't be the end of the world if google bought BB patents and implemented them into Android... only for Apple (in years).
    angad7.10 likes this.
    10-04-13 08:56 PM
    Could'nt help it ......Urban Dictionary: Googleberries
    m1a1mg and millerliteboy like this.
    10-04-13 09:05 PM
    BBRY is done either way regardless of which of those companies buy them out...
    I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were in the boardroom with all the executives and knew the details of BlackBerry's plan.

My mistake!
    the_sleuth likes this.
    10-04-13 09:08 PM
    I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were in the boardroom with all the executives and knew the details of BlackBerry's plan.

My mistake!
    It's not about BlackBerry 's plan anymore. Sounds like the execs don't have a plan other than unloading the company. Then it's up to whoever buys them at that points.
    It's not a far stretch to think that most of the rumored buyers will like kill the company and OS10 unfortunately.

Posted via CB10
    helio9965, Etios and Tatperson like this.
    10-04-13 09:13 PM
    I'm trying to understand why you would think Google, the company with smartphone technology expertise (by virtue of their partners) would kill off BlackBerry devices but Cisco and SAP who don't would continue the hardware side of the business.
    Because Cisco or SAP would have a total end to end solution for businesses. You can already buy Cisco routers and other things on their website. They could use BlackBerrys to further that. The same can be said for SAP. It would be a company with enterprise software buying a struggling company that has ALWAYS been focused on enterprise hardware.

I'm in no way saying Cisco or SAP would continue BlackBerry devices in the consumer space, but BlackBerry handsets sold alongside their routers and switches...pretty attractive for anyone looking for a total solution.

Google, on the other hand, doesn't need the hardware or the software.....just the patents and whatever else.
    Last edited by SK122387; 10-05-13 at 02:28 PM.
    10-04-13 09:16 PM
    It's not about BlackBerry 's plan anymore. Sounds like the execs don't have a plan other than unloading the company. Then it's up to whoever buys them at that points.
    It's not a far stretch to think that most of the rumored buyers will like kill the company and OS10 unfortunately.

Posted via CB10
    Right. But to say "BlackBerry is done" is a little presumptive. Done as we know it? Yeah. I don't expect to ever buy one in a retail store again.

Done totally? I would bet not.
    10-04-13 09:17 PM
    It wouldn't be the end of the world if google bought BB patents and implemented them into Android... only for Apple (in years).
    Yeah but it wouldn't be a BlackBerry anymore. It would be an Android with aspects of BlackBerry that most of us consumers have never used.

And I, along with many BlackBerry users, would probably end up buying an iPhone for my next phone.
    10-04-13 09:19 PM
    Cisco will just be awesome. It might bring back consumer confidence for the paranoid

Posted via CB10
    bb624 and SK122387 like this.
    10-04-13 09:30 PM
    My vote for whoever keeps the company as a whole and not break it and also keep developing BB10
    Which would be none of them, Fairfax included.
    10-04-13 09:32 PM
    Cisco will just be awesome. It might bring back consumer confidence for the paranoid

Posted via CB10
    haha paranoid?

If I were a first time BlackBerry buyer or even someone who didn't already appreciate BlackBerry10 for what it is now, I'd be wary of buying a new BlackBerry, to be honest. I don't think it's that paranoid. I think it's logical that someone wants to know that their smartphone will be supported at least through the manufacturer for the duration of the contract..
    10-04-13 09:35 PM
    GOOG may choose to keep it going...Sammy is kicking their **** with their own OS...
    Maybe...kinda sorta.
    I don't get it. How is Sammy kicking Goog's rear? I would assume that Google wins with every Sammy device sold...
    10-04-13 09:48 PM
    I just re-read the piece. Other than the $3.1B mistake, it sounds good. But what caught me the second time around is this:

The company, based in Waterloo, Ontario, has asked for preliminary expressions of interest from potential strategic buyers, which also include Intel Corp and Asian companies LG and Samsung, by early next week.

Is BBRY actively seeking out buyers, or is something else going on.
    I also noticed that too. I wonder how those companies feel about being mentioned.
    10-04-13 09:50 PM
    What if Google open sourced BB10?
    10-04-13 09:52 PM
    Anybody that makes a bid will have to pass the Investment Canada Act. A patent troll would not likely pass as long as other offers are on the table.
    danprown likes this.
    10-04-13 09:57 PM
    BlackBerry has been asking (looking for a buyer) in the past year so not sure why this is news. Seems like a last ditch attempt as FairFax will likely come up with an offer well below $9. The word I want to see is "approached". I honestly don't see any firms approaching BlackBerry until the stock falls below 5 bucks
    10-04-13 10:03 PM
    INTEL POWERED BB10 !

Otherwise, I'm out.

Posted via CB10
    Akuji_ism likes this.
    10-04-13 10:10 PM
    BlackBerry..A SAP Company..Looks nice also..LOL

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 12:05 AM
    Google and Cisco in a bidding war over BlackBerry would be the best possible situation for shareholders, it also likely means the company would be gutted if they get serious as the hardware side of things would be meaningless to both. Cisco and Google are competitors pretty much, and with both companies ramping up ISP service efforts for consumers, BlackBerry's portfolio may very well hold some things that look nice to both companies. It may very well turn into an auction, at which point we would have nothing left to support BlackBerry with. That's obviously speculation dependent on either of these companies taking this seriously, Google has been known to fake bid just to raise their competitors bid numerous times in the past. Either way, it's sounding like shareholders may get better than $9, but consumers may get left behind just about any way you slice this.
    Etios likes this.
    10-05-13 12:34 AM
    Exactly, How would SAP involve in hardware business, even in consumer hardware business.

Some people have absolutely no idea what they are talking about, and they still think BBRY is the king of the world.

Could you fans be real? It is that BBRY is begging others to buy itself right now.

Personally I do not think Cisco/SAP/Intc is interested to buy BBRY as a whole at all.

Only Google/Samsung/LG buy makes some sense, still LG does not have enough money to buy BBRY.

Only Google/Samsung can buy BBRY as a whole, and no matter who buys it, they will discontinue Bb phone eventually.
    aniym and Etios like this.
    10-05-13 12:42 AM
    Cisco has failed pretty miserably in all consumer spaces they have entered and thats with some pretty popular products, I cant imagine they would try it again with a company in BBs state.

Sent from my ALCATEL_one_touch_995 using CB Forums mobile app
    kevinnugent likes this.
    10-05-13 01:35 AM
    Actually, this does NOT look like good news. Just my opinion, but look at the context:

Fairfax supposedly had some intention to keep the company going. Blackberry has been trying to sell itself for a year or so.

And now this: "The company, based in Waterloo, Ontario, has asked for preliminary expressions of interest from potential strategic buyers, which also include Intel Corp and Asian companies LG and Samsung, by early next week."

So basically RIM is asking if anybody would like to buy a piece or two of their company, last call.

I don't see any of those companies never keeping a handset division nor continuing BB10. None.

All of them either already have their own OS (WebOS, Tizen, Android, Chrome etc. Besides the ones they're licensing) or they have no business in handsets or mobile.

With that combination of companies, it looks more like vultures each trying to secure a piece of the carcass: Blackberries patents, MDM and networks. Maybe even just a billion for the patents.

That's sad...
    (Worst part is, that judging BBRYs management by their previous actions, they're probably going for the highest bid, with little consideration for continuing their products and handset division)
    danprown and Etios like this.
    10-05-13 04:02 AM
129 1234 ...