As the title says. Were there a lot of things in this quarter that blackberry was involved to finally have profit this quarter? Or do you think we have to wait till next year as Mr. Chan originally planned?
    12-05-14 01:58 PM
    I'm betting on a profit!
    12-05-14 03:17 PM
    Profit

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 03:56 PM
    I'm actually gonna go with Chen on this one. A decent quarter showing progress would be a plus.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 04:24 PM
    Would be nice. Would be nice if BB just also shows progress in the turnaround. Remember, the target is the next quarter, not this.
    Last edited by Than Tran1; 12-05-14 at 04:52 PM.
    12-05-14 04:38 PM
    Doubt much of any profit, but at least they are not bleeding money anymore.

I would expect to basically break even on next filing, and head into their first real profits in a long time next quarter.

At least that is what I hope...more time to add shares
    12-05-14 04:49 PM
    Doubt it, but they are not far off now. I'm calling two more quarters.

"Official International Accountant of the Peevishlicious Crew " via my Canadian Passport!!
    12-05-14 04:51 PM
    Yup...patients for BES twelve to monitize me thinks.

Passport'n stuff all day long.
    12-05-14 06:21 PM
    Not yet. Devices (even with Passport ) cannot make enough money to cover what BB is loosing on BIS and BES. We need to wait to end of EZPass program. Then we will see if turnaround is successful...
    12-05-14 06:33 PM
    Might be nothing much enough to drop jaws but definitely there's going to be pleasant news

My Z10/Z30 photography channel
    12-05-14 06:38 PM
    Not yet. Even with Passport sales in the black and making money, with the drop off in OS7 monthly fees now in a nose dive, and ongoing write offs, the best shareholders can hope for is a strong cash position again. Blackberry has to start monetizing services, and not just for the corporate market, but for consumers too. I would happily sign up again for secure BBM, that was routed through Blackberry servers world wide. Just called something like "BBM Enhanced Security" and I will sign up and gladly pay monthly fee.
    12-06-14 10:55 AM
    I wouldn't bet on a profit this quarter, mainly due to the continued freefall of BIS revenue.
    It would certainly be a pleasant surprise though, and would possibly help solidify BlackBerry's new position as a cool niche company, rather than a dead one.

There is that small part that hopes this quarter comes with a loss but the promise of doubled or tripled service revenues next quarter. It would be enough to drive stock price down and get some more, for when it rockets up next quarter.

BB for Life
    12-06-14 12:02 PM
    At this point I'm less focused on profit and much more focused on revenue. They can't cut costs indefinitely. They need to start showing revenue growth eventually.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    MarsupilamiX and sentimentGX4 like this.
    12-06-14 12:58 PM
    I think, like many here, this will be a breakeven quarter, even if they did make a profit. It's always prudent to defer some revenue to ensure next quarter is solid given that the expectations for this quarter are relatively modest. I think JC is a very cautious person and is fully aware of the recent prediction gaffs of the former CEOs.

It's so hard now the get any sense of volumes with the current low numbers with the new and the improved but closed mouthed Blackberry.
    Last edited by EchoTango; 12-09-14 at 09:17 AM.
    12-07-14 09:17 PM
    If BBRY were to be profitable this quarter would we not be seeing some type of guidance announcement before the next ER?

Posted via CB10
    12-08-14 10:17 AM
    At this point I'm less focused on profit and much more focused on revenue. They can't cut costs indefinitely. They need to start showing revenue growth eventually.
    Agree for a tech company to grow, they have to provide product that meet or exceed what other companies are doing. That takes a lot of R&D, something that BB is being totally outclassed on. Doesn't mean they can't have some genius working for them that does something no one else thinks of.... but it is much more likely that you only get out what you put into R&D and software development.

R&D
    Developer Relations
    Quality Control
    Marketing
    Production

These have all seen huge cuts, which in the end hurt the company's ability to compete at a certain level. Of course a company working to only supple the needs of a small enterprise niche won't need to worry as much about these departments....
    12-08-14 02:36 PM
    No profit yet but probably cash-positive which is good. Once those sweet, sweet BES12 license fees start pouring in next year, then we'll see a handsome profit. If we're not at $15 or better -- potentially much better -- by the end of 2015, I'll be very surprised. Closing this year out at 11 and change would be a nice gain for those of us who have been accumulating on the dips all year.
    12-08-14 07:14 PM
    There might be a small profit and surely breakeven. The other important point is this quarter, inventory issues will be sorted out completely. i.e there will be negligible difference between number of smartphones shipped (recognised revenue on) and number of devices sold to end customers. Considering that Black friday sale was more than a success with crackberry community, revenue will slightly beat last quarter's revenue.

The other major guesswork frome me is that Passport sales is no more than 300k this quarter. I will re-visit to this post after earnings release and see if I have been right at all. :-)
    12-09-14 06:41 AM
    Not yet. Even with Passport sales in the black and making money, with the drop off in OS7 monthly fees now in a nose dive, and ongoing write offs, the best shareholders can hope for is a strong cash position again. Blackberry has to start monetizing services, and not just for the corporate market, but for consumers too. I would happily sign up again for secure BBM, that was routed through Blackberry servers world wide. Just called something like "BBM Enhanced Security" and I will sign up and gladly pay monthly fee.

I was talking with a guy who works in cybersecurity for the US government and he said that they have security concerns with BBM because of routers being located in countries with anti American elements.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-14 10:35 AM
    They will likely come up short this quarter. Expect the momentum to start building in March 2015.
    12-09-14 11:37 AM
    Would imagine there has got to be a pretty large amount of cost going into getting the Classic ready for launch. I'm sure Foxconn isn't footing the production cost
    12-09-14 03:37 PM
    I'm kinda thinking that they might break even in this report and continue to be that in the next couple of quarters

Posted via CB10
    12-09-14 06:39 PM
    I think this is the quarter that makes the shorts realize their folly.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-14 12:50 PM
  24. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I would like to see them announce US carrier launch dates for both Classic and Passport... need to get bb's visible again in the US market...

Hope CEO chen can make it happen....

Posted via CB10
    12-10-14 09:20 PM
    I was talking with a guy who works in cybersecurity for the US government and he said that they have security concerns with BBM because of routers being located in countries with anti American elements.

Posted via CB10
    Lol that would rule a lot of countries.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-14 09:50 PM
28 12