09-13-13 09:40 PM
68 123
tools
    He dun goof'd in investing and choosing BB10.

It was about Canadian pride for the most part but whatcha gunna do. BB is full of disappointments but overall, BB10 needs to get finished pronto (The OS wasn't finished when released, let's get serious) and polish BB10 much as possible by the time the Z30 is out.

If BB10 is not in tip top shape in comparison to mature OS's, BBRY is gunna have a bad day.

Keep it together man!
    When I bought a Q10 back in early May (on the launch), I immediately thought it was half-baked. So, I returned it, but was (and still is) going to revisit in 6 months or so, waiting for it be more polished. 6th months is November when TH & Co. would supposedly exercise their "strategic option", whatever it is ( a fuzzy term, just like "mobile computing"

The way things appear to be going, I am afraid my wish may never see the light of day. But I will still wait a little longer. I might as well want to see where this whole episode ends up in.
    09-05-13 11:05 PM
    So a rich guy like Oleary isn't able to pay a Canadian carrier like the rest of us?? Haha.

Posted via CB10
    Not only that but he has to go into the Verizon shop himself to sort it out. Doesn't he have any servants for that sort of thing?
    09-06-13 01:59 AM
    Then this must mean that guy from Belfast has been right all along.
    09-06-13 03:03 AM
    They won't honour his Verizon plan because of his phone (hardware)? Really?

I don't understand. What's the difference between a BlackBerry Bold and a Q10?
    I'm no carrier expert but i'm guessing the difference between the Bold 9900 and the Q10 perhaps are
    • Bold 9900 on BIS, Q10 not on BIS
    • Bold 9900 non LTE, Q10 LTE

Just chipping in my 2cents
    09-06-13 03:51 AM
    Kevin is downgrading from q10 to the bold wow what does that tell you

Posted via CB10
    That tells me that he should have bought the Z10
    09-06-13 08:12 AM
    I've come around to this as well. I was never a legacy BB user, but I've encountered a few people that are clutching onto their legacy BlackBerries like their life depended on it.

Suddenly the new BBOS 9720 makes sense...
    The new BBOS 9720 only makes sense because:

1. The Q5 is too expensive
    2. The Q5 is ugly
    3. The Q5 is too expensive

Other than that it makes literally no sense other than to milk as much BIS profits as they can before that platform nosedives into oblivion.

Things would have worked out much better for BB if they took a page out of Nokia's book and accepted lower margins for higher volume sales. They were too stubborn, but perhaps their end goal was to eventually sale the company off, anyways... I'm not one for conspiracy theories, though...
    09-06-13 08:36 AM
    I believe it. If you travel a lot, the older BlackBerry devices are much better than the new ones. The BB10 devices are never truly unlocked. Whether or not you can edit the APN settings is completely determined by the inserted SIM card. The older BlackBerry smartphones allow users to edit the APN no matter what as long as the device is unlocked.

BB10 sucks for travelers compared to normal smart phones.
    I traveled to Germany with a Z10 from T-Mobile, had it unlocked just before leaving, installed a local prepaid SIM I bought in the airport, and it worked great for the two weeks, and I still had my BBM to keep in touch with the wife and kids. Not sure what another smartphone would do that the Z10 wouldn't do on travel?

Posted via CB10
    09-06-13 09:02 AM
    I traveled to Germany with a Z10 from T-Mobile, had it unlocked just before leaving, installed a local prepaid SIM I bought in the airport, and it worked great for the two weeks, and I still had my BBM to keep in touch with the wife and kids. Not sure what another smartphone would do that the Z10 wouldn't do on travel?

Posted via CB10
    You got lucky and had a SIM that worked. Believe me, that isn't always the case. I know because I can take the SIM card out of my Nexus 4, slide it into any unlocked legacy GSM BlackBerry device and it works (I've tested this SIM with my unlocked Bold 9700, Torch 9810, and Lumia 521 - It works with all of them), If I take that same SIM and stick it in an unlocked GSM Z10 and Q10 I won't be able to modify the APN settings and the automatically supplied APN settings are incorrect. Phones won't work too well with wrong APN settings.

Like I said, you got lucky. The BlackBerry 10 devices are at the mercy of the SIM card you insert into them. If the carrier don't want you modifying the APN settings, you won't be. It is as simply as that. Other smartphones, unlocked, allow you to edit the APN no matter what. That is how the Z10 is different on travel. I'm not the only one who has encountered this problem either. Search some and you'll find several people that took their Z10 on vacation and weren't as lucky as you were.

Here, I searched it for you:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/...0/td-p/2194047
    09-06-13 10:55 AM
    Who cares about Kevin O'Leary...a business failure who says provocative things on TV to generate discussion. Never take business advice from this *****.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-13 11:31 AM
    I've got the flip side of that. After firing up my 9900 I'm absolutely certain that I would not go back to it permanently.
    I still use a 9900 (as I've said before, I like, and would miss, the full-functionality offered by Bridge on my PlayBook) and have delayed moving to a Z-or Q10 (still not sure if I can give up my keyboard, but my wife has a Z10 that I covet). I still like the phone, and therefore am far from desperate to upgrade, but I'm actually thinking of just adding a line to my T-Mobile account and get the best of both worlds. And, as an additional perk, get to keep my BlackBerry email address (which gets NO spam).

As it is, though, you have several different phones, from what I've seen for some other comments you've made...my guess is that you're in the industry, and therefore have additional needs. But I'll ask anyway....do you have a favorite, BB or otherwise?
    09-06-13 11:57 AM
    The new BBOS 9720 only makes sense because:

1. The Q5 is too expensive
    2. The Q5 is ugly
    3. The Q5 is too expensive

Other than that it makes literally no sense other than to milk as much BIS profits as they can before that platform nosedives into oblivion.

Things would have worked out much better for BB if they took a page out of Nokia's book and accepted lower margins for higher volume sales. They were too stubborn, but perhaps their end goal was to eventually sale the company off, anyways... I'm not one for conspiracy theories, though...
    I agree 100% on the lower margins.

The legacy BB makes sense for corporate upgrades given the poor response to the Q10. I think it was a more recent decision to hang onto as much of the existing user base while they work on restoring legacy BBOS features to BB10.
    09-08-13 10:09 AM
    That was a good point about JP Morgan holding on their old phones instead of switching to Iphone or Samsung or ( my god) WP. When that first came out Apple and Samsung were gloating then it sunk in that hey if they don't want to switch to our Phones what does it say about our products LOL.
    09-09-13 05:03 PM
    That was a good point about JP Morgan holding on their old phones instead of switching to Iphone or Samsung or ( my god) WP. When that first came out Apple and Samsung were gloating then it sunk in that hey if they don't want to switch to our Phones what does it say about our products LOL.
    They were gloating? Didn't know that.

What does it say about BB10?
    09-09-13 05:14 PM
    remeber something Kevin has multiple phones, there are not CDMA carriers in Canada anymore, Telus and Bell switched to GSM a few years ago. its possible you're just seeing kevins USA or any other countries phone
    09-09-13 06:01 PM

What does it say about BB10?
    What does it say about Android and iOS while we're at it? Especially Android, surely it's cheaper than BB10, why not just switch right now? Maybe there's a reason for that.

Thoughts?
    09-11-13 04:57 PM
    Then this must mean that guy from Belfast has been right all along.
    If you're talking about BelfastDispatcher, he had some very specific requirements that, yes, BBOS still serves better than BB10 does. There seems to be a general concern regarding the loss of BIS data compression as well, though I honestly still don't know what the impact is from that.

I would say that for the vast majority of smartphone users outside legacy BB, BB10 is a far better platform.

From the awesome PHYSICAL keyboard of my Q10
    09-11-13 05:14 PM
    Of course you didn't, since neither Apple nor Samsung publicly commented on the issue. Perhaps the commenter meant Apple users or Samsung users.

What does it say about Android and iOS while we're at it? Especially Android, surely it's cheaper than BB10, why not just switch right now? Maybe there's a reason for that.

Thoughts?
    At the same time, if JPM had faith in BBRY's ability to make BB10 more compelling over time, would they be opting for legacy BBOS? It's not clear. This action certainly suggests that neither iOS, Android or BB10 meet the need. Failing to secure the JPM contract is not an issue for Android or iOS, but BB10 can't afford to miss out on any sales at this point.
    09-11-13 05:35 PM
    Yesterday, Kevin pointed that US carriers have pretty much given up on BB10. He points to his Q10 and says that Verizon will no longer honor his "World" cell phone plan that he uses as he travels quite frequently. They said if he wants the "World plan" back, he has to downgrade to a BOLD.
    So... this is an argument FOR the NOC? :facepalm: no, not you to whom I am replying...just that all the critics consider the NOC a liability, and yet, this "keep moving" target user is 'forced' to go back to a BBOS7 device to leverage BB's network. Again, we see that BlackBerry strayed too far from home and now they're lost in the woods, being eaten by sharks. YES, SHARKS THAT CAN COME UP ON DRY LAND! IT'S THE SHARKOPALYPSE! Personally, I believe their errors are related to the device form factor and how different BB10 is from BBOS (I like BB10 as it is, but I think a device that's a lot more like a BBOS device would have brought a lot more BBOS users to BB10). I wonder if they could implement the bits of BBOS that leverage the NOC onto BB10 so that there would still be the option for BB10 devices to USE (not DEPEND ON) the NOC where it suits the carrier or the customer?
    09-13-13 09:40 PM
68 123