View Poll Results: Are the 48k S4BB apps Pure Fraud?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. This is a major fraud.

58 58.59%
  • No. There must be a reasonable explanation.

41 41.41%
    What possible evidence do you need more than the 48000 apps by one developer!

It is a total joke and it is un-defendable.
    How is it different from Apple bragging about 800,000 apps in their app store, but failing to mention a lot of them are trash no one would want.
    Bugmapper, web99 and ricocan like this.
    08-22-13 12:18 AM
    Obviously the reward makes the situation a bit different but it wasn't too long ago when I read that some research company discovered that a large proportion of apps on the Apple app store were "zombies", I think that's what the called them.

If I'm not mistaken, in order for apps to qualify for the reward from BlackBerry they need to conform to certain standards and offer some BB10 specific features. If the bulk of these apps do not meet the reward criteria and are really only there to fill the BlackBerry App World I see no problem at all. If these apps are useless and are just looking to cash in on the reward without adding value then I think something needs to be done about this.
    As you said, the situation is totally different. AAPL. as far as I understand it, never paid Devs to come up with apps.

The definition of 'useless' is what any type of litigation will seek to establish.
    08-22-13 12:19 AM
    Wow. I didn't realise just how low these guys have stooped. Alec Saunders would know what's been happening. If he didn't tell TH that nearly half the assorted apps in the store are crappy fake apps from one developer, then there's something very wrong with this picture. He is in charge of Developer Relations, right?
    08-22-13 12:20 AM
    I realize that online hyperbole can stretch pretty thin, but in this case, are you saying that the team in charge of disbursements didn't know that paying out $84,000,000 to one guy who created 47,000 apps was a travesty and that claiming that those 47,000 apps were actually a selling point (which they did) isn't misleading investors?

Because if that's what you're claiming, I'd suggest you take a second to think about it. Any one of us would know that if one guy creates 7500 apps, something is wrong, and someone is getting mislead. If one guy creates 12,000 apps, it's a joke. 47,000? That could easily be a court case.
    How can you possibly say that they paid S4BB that much? How many of those 47k apps are even BB10 apps? And then, how many of those BB10 apps received the "Built for BB10" status? You might want to start with that number and then get back to us
    take99 likes this.
    How is it different from Apple bragging about 800,000 apps in their app store, but failing to mention a lot of them are trash no one would want.
    AAPL didn't pay one Dev $84,000,000 to create 47,000 useless apps and then list all those apps in such a way as to show that they could compete.
    Last edited by mset; 08-22-13 at 12:34 AM.
    Agree that S4BB is the tip of the iceberg. No wonder there seemed like there was so much junk in the app store. All fake apps with no purpose.

So $2,000x47,000=$84,600,000.

Heins and co need to go to jail if this is true.
    Stop spouting nonsense!!!
    take99 likes this.
    08-22-13 12:23 AM
    How can you possibly say that they paid S4BB that much? How many of those 47k apps are even BB10 apps? You might want to start with that number and then get back to us
    That's the number from earlier in this thread. Let's take a different number. Let's say this guy created 47,000 apps for the app store and BBRY paid him for 3% of them. $2K each, right? So 1410 apps @ $2,000 each? Almost $3MM?

See the point? It doesn't matter. One guy was just coding up a bunch of total crapola. BBRY employees knew it, but paid him out and put them up there, claiming that they were adding value to the firm. There's a massive difference between AAPL saying 'Others coded these; we don't have anything to say about their quality, they're just up on the site and you can try them' and BBRY saying 'We paid people to create these apps. We are aware of their content and we are saying that they're worthwhile and we're telling investors that this is a part of what makes BBRY valuable today'. Huge difference there.

What's the alternative? 'We paid for these apps. See how many apps we have? They're crap but they're up there anyway, please buy them'.

Ummmm...no.
    edwinsberry likes this.
    08-22-13 12:26 AM
    i don't understand why do you need to make polls like this. It will just provide a negative image on the BlackBerry. You should be at least give some considerations that we have apps and we have developers willing to produce thousands of apps. You are not helping OP. Do something nice for the BlackBerry.
    08-22-13 12:28 AM
    Yes, they have willfully done this, when a single developer spams your App world to an extent that it is 50% of your app world count which you then promote everywhere definitely amounts to Fraud.
    08-22-13 12:33 AM
    Word of advice... Just because you read it on the Internet doesn't make it true I've been looking and all I've found are 3 built for BlackBerry apps by S4BB. So as far as I can tell, they made $3000 in bonus money. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, as there may be more... But mostly, all their BB10 apps are audio books and city guides
    08-22-13 12:34 AM
    Agree that S4BB is the tip of the iceberg. No wonder there seemed like there was so much junk in the app store. All fake apps with no purpose.

So $2,000x47,000=$84,600,000.

Heins and co need to go to jail if this is true.
    Holy didn't-read-the-fineprint Batman!

I'm going to assume that you're referring to the port a thon payouts here. First off, I can guarantee that S4BB didn't submit 47k apps over the course of, what was it, 3 port a thons? Second, it was $100/app, to a max of 20 apps ($2000), so BlackBerry didn't pay S4BB millions of dollars.

BlackBerry is only guilty of not denying apps that have little to no benefit to users. There are no 'fake' apps on any platform, just horribly unhelpful apps, or malicious ones. This is true in every platform. I personally know devs who do this on Windows Phone. Every platform has them, it's just much more noticeable on BlackBerry because of the low adoption by developers.

Do any of the other platforms deny apps like S4BB's? I know windows doesn't, and Google doesn't even review submitted apps, so that leaves maybe apple, but we all know where to go to find a wide selection of fart apps.

S4BB's strategy is to flood the store with as many apps as they can, because while most people won't download any of them, there will be those who will, and with no yearly developer fees, they don't really have much to lose. There's no backroom deals going on here. Given the amount of paid apps they have, and at their prices, they don't really need BlackBerry's help making a decent return.

That all being said, I'm no fan of the new apps section being constantly flooded with crap apps from S4BB. But I don't expect BlackBerry to stop any developer from submitting non-malicious apps. What I want them to do instead, is better promote B4BB and highly rated apps. Remove the new apps section, and replace it with B4BB, highly rated, and hand picked noteworthy apps, redesign the store front if needed, and leave 'newly listed' hidden away as a filter option. The problem I have with their current B4bb and categorized noteworthy apps promotional sections, is that they only promote a handful at a time. I'm not likely going to be intested in most of the apps featured in the social promo section, when. A decent amount of them come pre installed on my device.

Did Heins and company willfully defraud investors?-img_00000168.png

I mean come on... I couldn't even uninstall BBM if I wanted to, so why is it being promoted?

Posted via CB10
    ryanza, danprown, kbz1960 and 4 others like this.
    08-22-13 12:41 AM
    Word of advice... Just because you read it on the Internet doesn't make it true I've been looking and all I've found are 3 built for BlackBerry apps by S4BB. So as far as I can tell, they made $3000 in bonus money. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, as there may be more... But mostly, all their BB10 apps are audio books and city guides
    I don't care what S4BB were paid. I do care that we (and the investors) were continually told how great the app ecosystem support from devs was. Now to find out that nearly half the apps were written by one dude! HTH do you write that many apps anyway? It's like a sweat shop working on WoW characters!
    08-22-13 12:43 AM
    Word of advice... Just because you read it on the Internet doesn't make it true
    Yes, you have a point.

Bottom line, if any Dev has thousands of apps in the app store, it's a really bad deal for BBRY. Forget the publicity. It just means that the whole thing was a sort of sham.

Time will tell. I hope for their sake that this is just a case of an overly excited CB member posting misleading information.

Let's face it, they couldn't trumpet the fact that they had the leading apps. Because they didn't. So they said 'We have xxx,xxx apps in the Play store'. I wish they could have made an ad saying 'Have you ever wondered how many of those apps in the AAPL store are actually worth owning? We have 4,000, but every one of them is quality'.

I guess that's a pie-in-the-sky wish, though.
    08-22-13 12:49 AM
    Who cares if Blackberry are silly enough to pay people who have figured out how to milk the system? What we all care about are the 20-30 apps that we would use irrespective of the platform. That is where Microsoft have been smarter by throwing money at developers to embrace WP8 with those killer apps. That is what Blackberry should have done as well and would have probably cost them the same as what they have ended up shelling out to guys like S4BB who have figured out how to play the system to their own ends.
    08-22-13 12:49 AM
    Well I followed the link to the apps in mention and I downloaded a simple game called towers. I can confirm that it is a very simple game and unfortunately apart from numbers the writing appear to be in Chinese or some similarly write language. Funny thing is the game is not that bad to play, it's kind of addictive. It's a free app and I like it. Hat off to the Dev for at least 1 good app out of 47000 or what ever the real number is.
    mikeycollins13 likes this.
    08-22-13 01:28 AM
    The problem with having a third of your apps fake apps is that they want generate any revenue from BlackBerry World
    08-22-13 02:17 AM
    This news just goes to show the BBRY should be taken private. The board has let this company crumble without defending anything. TH will soon be looking for a job unless he gets his massive payout then he can retire.

I am tired to watch a company that was once a leader...become the laughing stock of the tech industry.
    edwinsberry likes this.
    08-22-13 04:24 AM
    This news just goes to show the BBRY should be taken private.
    Considering BBRY is a public company, they are one quiet bunch.
    As soon as they go private, we'll never hear from them, ever.
    08-22-13 04:29 AM
    Where did Heins or anybody else ever guarantee that 47,000 apps would not be from one developer? If the 47,000 junk apps were from 47,000 different developers would that make you feel better? The fact is that most apps are junk to begin with. Nice try on the whole fraud thing, but you're being just a bit melodramatic.
    08-22-13 05:06 AM
    Wait, what...the ketchup people are ridin' dirty
    Ugly titles have been a mission.
    08-22-13 05:20 AM
    Stop spouting nonsense!!!
    You are right, $84m is nonsense, but $10m or $20m is still horrible. Do you know how many good employees could have kept their jobs with that money?
    08-22-13 06:48 AM
    There is no way that TH did not realize how poorly his devices were selling while he touted great sales and telling us we will be number three in the market soon! He lied right up to the ER when the truth tanks BBRY stock as it should have.
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 08-22-13 at 07:13 AM.
    08-22-13 06:51 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000168.png 
Views:	424 
Size:	283.0 KB 
ID:	194594

I mean come on... I couldn't even uninstall BBM if I wanted to, so why is it being promoted?

Posted via CB10
    No choice on the BBM app as updates come from BBAppWorld. So it needs to be listed
    08-22-13 07:11 AM
    Where did Heins or anybody else ever guarantee that 47,000 apps would not be from one developer? If the 47,000 junk apps were from 47,000 different developers would that make you feel better? The fact is that most apps are junk to begin with. Nice try on the whole fraud thing, but you're being just a bit melodramatic.

I know...right? This blackberry bashing is so pathetic. At the end of the day I still enjoy using my blackberry. In my opinion and millions of others Blackberry is an excellent phone. Good apps or not, the phone does everything I need for it to do. That's all that matters!!
    08-22-13 07:43 AM
    These two posts appeared this morning. Thought they may be relevant to this discussion as well

If nothing else it should be an embarrassment to all.
    08-22-13 07:54 AM
97 1234