I'm glad we have retail investors asking questions!

The questions about retail presence are great and VERY much needed. Thorsten isnt doing a great job answering though.
    07-09-13 10:39 AM
    If approaching breakeven means a 13 cent loss, then how big of a loss does he expect for q2?

Hopefully someone calls him out for not speaking clearly
    *insert smart arse comment as a joke* <13 cents? haha

I would think we should expect ~ the same loss though it is conceivable this could be much better quarter given the Q5 launch.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-09-13 10:39 AM
    If approaching breakeven means a 13 cent loss, then how big of a loss does he expect for q2?

Hopefully someone calls him out for not speaking clearly
    breakeven means just that... EVEN.

they lost because they did not get paid by an entire country... with that payment they would have been around 5c +/- even (from what people have reported)
    07-09-13 10:41 AM
    The questions about retail presence are great and VERY much needed. Thorsten isnt doing a great job answering though.
    Yep, he sounds more relaxed and sounds like you're having a convo with him.
    07-09-13 10:45 AM
    GREAT question about BB10 OS rollout globally.
    07-09-13 10:45 AM
    Yep, he sounds more relaxed and sounds like you're having a convo with him.

Not only that, but he talks AROUND the questions. He is towing the party line about things are coming things will get better
    07-09-13 10:46 AM
    Good questions this time vs other AGMs.
    07-09-13 10:46 AM
    Interested to see if anyone raises the topic of the new legacy OS device.
    07-09-13 10:47 AM
    Not only that, but he talks AROUND the questions. He is towing the party line about things are coming things will get better

Carriers are still to blame apparently, they are testing both the software packages and radio package before Technical Acceptance.
    07-09-13 10:47 AM
    breakeven means just that... EVEN.

they lost because they did not get paid by an entire country... with that payment they would have been around 5c +/- even (from what people have reported)

Thor just said earlier when addressing his "approaching breakeven" comments in q4, something along the lines of "I don't know what it means to you, but to me it means a small loss". My issue isn't the loss, its the CEO's shady commentary.
    07-09-13 10:49 AM
    Very good question about Indian market. This is a huge market where BB can expand.
    currentodysseys and bungaboy like this.
    07-09-13 10:51 AM
    Not sure if it's significant but all questions were from "small retail investors" except for Jaguar's. (I'm assuming Vic is not just a small retail investor at this point!)

I find it interesting no one big had questions here... are they all in the loop already?

Posted via CB10
    currentodysseys and spike12 like this.
    07-09-13 10:53 AM
    Very good question about Indian market. This is a huge market where BB can expand.
    Absolutely Agree. Thor did touch on all of the emerging markets though. Indonesia, Nigeria. Vietnam. I was very impressed. Those are all countries that could really benefit BlackBerry.
    Sith_Apprentice and bungaboy like this.
    07-09-13 10:57 AM
    Not sure if it's significant but all questions were from "small retail investors" except for Jaguar's. (I'm assuming Vic is not just a small retail investor at this point!)

I find it interesting no one big had questions here... are they all in the loop already?

Posted via CB10
    I like it, too, that the small investors got up. At the earnings calls it's all the analysts.
    spike12 and bungaboy like this.
    07-09-13 10:58 AM
    Absolutely Agree. Thor did touch on all of the emerging markets though. Indonesia, Nigeria. Vietnam. I was very impressed. Those are all countries that could really benefit BlackBerry.
    I strongly believe that BB should work with the carriers to provide a BIS option or carrier BES for consumers. A lot of people who relied on push miss it. I would like BIS for my email and BBM.
    07-09-13 10:59 AM
    I'm gonna just chime in here real quick and say that I think BB did a good job today...I was disappointed because my expectation grew with the street but today BB didn't just throw a bunch of "talk" our way and they sounded honest about where the company is today, where they hope and plan for it to be tomorrow and the future. They took their licks like they should have but were also there to stand their ground and tell it like it is. Sounded strong. my opinion...
    07-09-13 11:00 AM
    I strongly believe that BB should work with the carriers to provide a BIS option or carrier BES for consumers. A lot of people who relied on push miss it. I would like BIS for my email and BBM.
    Been on BB10 since day one and the lack of "push" has not affected my user experience one bit. BIS is dead, not gonna happen.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-13 11:03 AM
    When you guys say breakeven all I can think about is this....

Sith_Apprentice and bungaboy like this.
    07-09-13 11:03 AM
    Still no sell through numbers reported..
    07-09-13 11:06 AM
    On a quick take I will say that the info given is good and pointing on a good track.

1. Diversification and increment of revenue through *services* ... confirmation and reiteration of this is imo very important (at some point I will elaborate)

2. BES mentioned for micro - businesses... this gives a good hint of how the abscence of BIS is to be handled.

3. Managing the expectations of the street with the meeting of the strategic targets set on the presentation was also very important step. confirmed that until 2013 is over, things should be analysed with caution (step 3 final line). This confirms the perception of many of us in the forums about where this is going and how it plays out (mine included). All and all a positive contextualization

4. Horizon for turnaround and investment getting to give solid results and return at 2015. This is also in order to logical assumptions

5. Answering the perception of launching the "new" bb7 phone. The media can take it as they like, TH was very clear on what that moves serves and why it is being made.

6. Recognising the carriers "blocking" positioning and product placement - exposure as an important point that BB is to give weight on. That is something to follow on materialization.

Lots of more things said there that actually to me sounded very well thought and planned. Rolling them out and execution seems to be on track with planning projection and expectations and if they deliver timely and orderly the next couple of Qs on the subjects touched, many nay sayers are in for a big surprise.

All this with a small restrain from my part in the sense of having to follow on materialization but I think they pretty much got the record straight.
    07-09-13 11:06 AM
    Answering the India question he kind of mentioned the BES being a tool for "micro - businesses" if I did not get this wrong. I can totally envision a BES version aimed to individual enterpreneurs or security - cautious individual consumers at a cost... I think the new BIS is a version of BES on BB10... I am reaching a bit far here but this is my impression from the comment T.H made.

It would make sense to me!
    07-09-13 11:12 AM
    The "Streets" expectations were too high? Hell no. The "Streets" expectations are wrong on target considering the amount of cash and resources BlackBerry has to fix this crap show. Regular consumers should not be lending their advice to a multimillion dollar company that has done this before. This is not BlackBerrys first time at the rodeo. They've had their chance to make mistakes. Thats over.

BlackBerry did not deliver today. They talked around the questions.
    07-09-13 11:16 AM
    what everyone needs to remember, is that talk (from anyone) is cheap, its actions and results that speak the loudest.
    tstrike34 likes this.
    07-09-13 11:18 AM
    Answering the India question he kind of mentioned the BES being a tool for "micro - businesses" if I did not get this wrong. I can totally envision a BES version aimed to individual enterpreneurs or security - cautious individual consumers at a cost... I think the new BIS is a version of BES on BB10... I am reaching a bit far here but this is my impression from the comment T.H made.

It would make sense to me!
    I see this being like BIS but as a subscription service with additional layers of encryption. The problem is, not sure many world governments would like this.
    currentodysseys likes this.
    07-09-13 11:22 AM
    what everyone needs to remember, is that talk (from anyone) is cheap, its actions and results that speak the loudest.
    Very Very true. But, as a bit of a counterpoint, at least the talk wasnt muddled and talking in circles. They admitted they got hurt, they admitted they are going to keep getting hit for the next few quarters. Being straightforward is not something that BB has done well in the past.
    07-09-13 11:23 AM
161 ... 23456 ...