Lenovo informed the shareholders of the company and potential investors that the company is in preliminary negotiations with a party in connection with a potential joint venture transaction," Lenovo said in a statement to the Hong Kong stock exchange.
    Media guess this partner could be NEC or blackberry, I wish it is blackberry。Most Chinese civilians hates Japaneses, because Japaneses never say/fell sorry or guilty to the neighbors for the second war crimes. Still China has territory problem with Japan(Fish island), and people are anti buying Japanese products now. It is unwise for Lenovo to cooperate with NEC, Blackberry is the best choice of Joint Venture.
    By the way, all apple products can be manufactured and sale in China and approved by DOD, why not Blackberry
    Last edited by Xuexiang Hu; 06-04-13 at 12:28 AM.
    06-03-13 11:43 PM
    Oooh. I'll be keeping an eye on this.
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    06-03-13 11:47 PM
    "Japanese media have reported that Lenovo, just shy of overtaking Hewlett-Packard Co as the top global PC maker, would set up a joint venture with Japan's NEC Corp to focus on smartphone manufacturing and distribution."

From Lenovo says in initial talks on smartphone venture - chicagotribune.com

Would it make sense that BB would be tied up with Lenovo, which is Chinese based?
    06-04-13 12:02 AM
    "Japanese media have reported that Lenovo, just shy of overtaking Hewlett-Packard Co as the top global PC maker, would set up a joint venture with Japan's NEC Corp to focus on smartphone manufacturing and distribution."

From Lenovo says in initial talks on smartphone venture - chicagotribune.com

Would it make sense that BB would be tied up with Lenovo, which is Chinese based?
    NEC has no reputation in China, nobody knows their mobile brand. I think Lenovo L-Phone is much more reputation and rank 2nd in China. Why they cooperate with an unknown brand and outdated device rather than BB? If so they must lost their mind, and I will short Lenovo stocks!!!
    Last edited by Xuexiang Hu; 06-04-13 at 12:35 AM.
    06-04-13 12:15 AM
    I'm sure "brand recognition" wasn't on the top of their priority list...they're probably looking at how profitable it can make their business.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-13 11:13 AM
    Lenovo informed the shareholders of the company and potential investors that the company is in preliminary negotiations with a party in connection with a potential joint venture transaction," Lenovo said in a statement to the Hong Kong stock exchange.
    Media guess this partner could be NEC or blackberry, I wish it is blackberry。Most Chinese civilians hates Japaneses, because Japaneses never say/fell sorry or guilty to the neighbors for the second war crimes. Still China has territory problem with Japan(Fish island), and people are anti buying Japanese products now. It is unwise for Lenovo to cooperate with NEC, Blackberry is the best choice of Joint Venture.
    By the way, all apple products can be manufactured and sale in China and approved by DOD, why not Blackberry
    Depends what you meant by "potential joint venture". Takeover BBRY ...... unlikely. Licensing ....maybe.
    06-04-13 11:42 AM
    I would rather see them partner with Sony

Posted via CB10
    matthewriedle likes this.
    06-04-13 01:32 PM
    I would like to see them buy Sony"s Mobile division and License BB10 as the OS.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-13 01:39 PM
    As a US resident that travels to China about 5 times per year, I don't know if the members of this board realize how big this could be for blackberry.

To Xuexiang's points:
    1) The Chinese citizens absolutely love Lenovo. Our corporate IT department tried to use all Dells and it was a complete disaster with the users, servers, etc. Constant IT issues....We switch to Lenovo, all issues go away.....almost magic. I believe it is two factors: a good product and a great loyalty

2) NEC?? Really? I'm not sure how it makes sense.....How can they help more than Blackberry? I think I had an NEC computer in 2005, I actually have no idea what they even do now.....Maybe I'm ignorant on them.....anyways, although there are a lot of Toyota and Honda in China, I was there when people were ripping off the emblems from the car and putting the Chinese flag. Partnering with a Japanese company doesn't seem like the easiest path.

4) Android/Google is certainly not embraced in China. Google does not have a huge following, all I see is Baidu.The only huge competition in the smart phone market that I see is Apple, and I believe Lenovo can overtake them in the smartphone market with a good product just as Lenovo is CRUSHING dell.

3) and finally Blackberry....what a perfect partnership....This isn't an acquisiion play.....If I worked this deal, it should be a licensing deal that gives Lenovo exclusive rights to the China market using the BB10 operating system. This would take a huge load off of Blackberry's shoulders, and give them insane volume potential. I see other posts saying BBRY could ship 4.5m units this quarter, 30m a year, etc......I can see BBRY/Lenovo shipping 30m a year into China alone if they work this deal right.

I really hope Lenovo and BBRY management see this like Xuexiang and I do.......It's a game changer.
    06-04-13 08:33 PM
    As a US resident that travels to China about 5 times per year, I don't know if the members of this board realize how big this could be for blackberry.

To Xuexiang's points:
    1) The Chinese citizens absolutely love Lenovo. Our corporate IT department tried to use all Dells and it was a complete disaster with the users, servers, etc. Constant IT issues....We switch to Lenovo, all issues go away.....almost magic. I believe it is two factors: a good product and a great loyalty

2) NEC?? Really? I'm not sure how it makes sense.....How can they help more than Blackberry? I think I had an NEC computer in 2005, I actually have no idea what they even do now.....Maybe I'm ignorant on them.....anyways, although there are a lot of Toyota and Honda in China, I was there when people were ripping off the emblems from the car and putting the Chinese flag. Partnering with a Japanese company doesn't seem like the easiest path.

4) Android/Google is certainly not embraced in China. Google does not have a huge following, all I see is Baidu.The only huge competition in the smart phone market that I see is Apple, and I believe Lenovo can overtake them in the smartphone market with a good product just as Lenovo is CRUSHING dell.

3) and finally Blackberry....what a perfect partnership....This isn't an acquisiion play.....If I worked this deal, it should be a licensing deal that gives Lenovo exclusive rights to the China market using the BB10 operating system. This would take a huge load off of Blackberry's shoulders, and give them insane volume potential. I see other posts saying BBRY could ship 4.5m units this quarter, 30m a year, etc......I can see BBRY/Lenovo shipping 30m a year into China alone if they work this deal right.

I really hope Lenovo and BBRY management see this like Xuexiang and I do.......It's a game changer.
    Agree 100%...BlackBerry runs the NOC and controls the OS, the rest is up to Levano....great deal.

Posted via CB10
    matthewriedle likes this.
    06-04-13 08:41 PM
    seems too good to be true.
    06-04-13 08:46 PM
    seems too good to be true.
    lol, I agree.....It just seems so perfect.....Two additional things I want to point out:
    1) You know Blackberry executives are talking about the China market on a daily basis. It's the highest volume smartphone market in the world (passed US). I don't even think the Z10/Q10 are hitting the mainland (fact check?).....All billion dollar companies need to have a China plan, what's BBRY's?
    2) I've been following blackberry stock in 2013 daily....I am not an incredibly experienced trader, but there have been 2 times this year when Lenovo and BBRY have been mentioned and the stock surged both times.....This can either be normal acquisition chatter that moved the stock price or there is something else brewing and has been for some time that gives an incredible sensitivity when BBRY and Lenovo are mentioned in the same sentence. I will defer to the more savvy investors for their opinion on this point...
    mike869 and jxnb like this.
    06-04-13 08:54 PM
    Yes...will put us through the roof initially, but settle until a quarter reports...if strong...no ceiling will hold the stock price. TH must do this...if it turns out bits not us the inverse will be true...pain for a while.

Posted via CB10
    jxnb likes this.
    06-04-13 09:09 PM
    I say two partners FTW!!!111!1!1!!

Lenovo for China. Exclusive

Sony for Japan. Exclusive

Posted via Z10
    06-05-13 02:37 AM
    I would rather see them partner with Sony

Posted via CB10
    I'd do both

Posted via CB10
    06-05-13 04:54 AM
    Lenovo/BBRY makes even more sense when you reflect on Thor's hinting a desire to evolve from tablets. Lenovo's R&D would facilitate such an evolution to a who knows what device with BB10 os.
    06-05-13 05:05 AM
    Why is the ts try to spam all the time that some Chinese company buys BlackBerry...

Posted via CB10
    06-05-13 05:07 AM
    Lenovo would be a good partner, as among other things they have proven their mettle in the PC industry after buying IBM's PC business, and they have an excellent track-record and reputation in their home territory.

I was a big fan of IBM Thinkpads, and I had huge concerns when Lenovo bought their PC business, but after a little rough start, I think they have done a very good job.

In part because they maintained a global perspective with important departments located in the USA and Japan in addition to China and elsewhere, and by demonstrating their independence. (Unlike Huawei which has the US and UK backlashing against it over national security concerns. Lenovo doesn't seem to have the same credibility problem.)
    06-07-13 03:30 PM
  19. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    would love to see Blackberry license the bb10 to a major player in China / Japan …. or have a company like IBM take a minor stake in Blackberry!! …...
    06-11-13 07:53 PM